• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chaingrab as Link?

JOJO94

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vintage_Rider
Hey TASers, Link can Grab airbourne opponents on the base of the hookshot from frame 11 to 13. So is it technically possible to chaingrab shieks and if so at what percent?

Hunybear

Smash Ace
D-throw Re-grab on Shiek. All % are Pre-Throw.
( requires turn around) Neural DI - 34%
Away DI - 41%
Behind DI - N/A

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
It may be possible to chaingrab Pichu, Pikachu on bad DI, and perhaps Fox at absurdly high percets [i.e., he WILL just die to spin attack, and probably would have more than 50% ago].

Dthrow on Sheik just can't CG if they know the MU unfortunately. It works in Project M, but that's because frame 12 of dash grab allows Link to grab airborne opponents, unlike Melee.

At the percents Hunybear listed, dthrow dsmash should be a true combo because it's faster, and unless ASDI/SDI down lets Sheik land, it's solid percent that can set up a combo.

On the topic of punishing Sheik once grabbed, something else I'm curious about is uthrowing Sheik. On Stadium and FD I sometimes do it around 30% and am able to get two strong uairs to combo, leaving her above me. I'm curious how true this is and what her escape options are. I often hit Sheiks out of their double jump with this, but I'm curious if they're just extremely slow, or if this is actually superior to dthrow dsmash at those percents. [It seems much more difficult on DI behind.]

Hunybear

Smash Ace
It may be possible to chaingrab Pichu, Pikachu on bad DI, and perhaps Fox at absurdly high percets [i.e., he WILL just die to spin attack, and probably would have more than 50% ago].

Dthrow on Sheik just can't CG if they know the MU unfortunately. It works in Project M, but that's because frame 12 of dash grab allows Link to grab airborne opponents, unlike Melee.

At the percents Hunybear listed, dthrow dsmash should be a true combo because it's faster, and unless ASDI/SDI down lets Sheik land, it's solid percent that can set up a combo.

On the topic of punishing Sheik once grabbed, something else I'm curious about is uthrowing Sheik. On Stadium and FD I sometimes do it around 30% and am able to get two strong uairs to combo, leaving her above me. I'm curious how true this is and what her escape options are. I often hit Sheiks out of their double jump with this, but I'm curious if they're just extremely slow, or if this is actually superior to dthrow dsmash at those percents. [It seems much more difficult on DI behind.]
First Thor. Get on the link discord. We wanna talk to you...
Second. I'll do some thorough testing on grab follow ups here soon. I'll use SAUSes grab follow up thread as a guideline for the tests. I'll probably start with the trouble MUs first and then the rest of top-8. Also you can re-grab pikachu on DI away and neutral DI really easily. DI behind idk because i never play pika's.

Thor

Smash Champion
First Thor. Get on the link discord. We wanna talk to you...
Second. I'll do some thorough testing on grab follow ups here soon. I'll use SAUSes grab follow up thread as a guideline for the tests. I'll probably start with the trouble MUs first and then the rest of top-8. Also you can re-grab pikachu on DI away and neutral DI really easily. DI behind idk because i never play pika's.
Guess I need to figure out how to get on Discord q_q

Regrab on Pikachu on DI behind seems difficult at best. I have played with a rather solid Pikachu player and I could sometimes do it around like 70%, but I'm not sure if that was full behind DI, and even if it was, I don't think it's worth the risk of dropping it and getting tech-in-place usmash'd unless your percent is low enough to where that + thunder won't KO off the top.

Top Bottom