• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chain Grabs

Dumpabump

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5258-0829-4421
What are the most basic chain grabs you can do with the Ice Climbers, and how do you do them?

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
What are the most basic chain grabs you can do with the Ice Climbers, and how do you do them?
D-throw, short hop with nana during the animation, d-air with nana, regrab repeat,
Sopo can d-throw people over and over
D-throw, side b with Nana, but you have to read which way they sdi if they sdi

Dumpabump

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5258-0829-4421
D-throw, short hop with nana during the animation, d-air with nana, regrab repeat,
Sopo can d-throw people over and over
D-throw, side b with Nana, but you have to read which way they sdi if they sdi
Thank you! I got most of those down now. I've been watching a few IC videos, how do you do the handoffs? And I heard something mentioned about an infinite on a ledge with handoffs?

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
so you can regrab with Nana once you down throw with Popo, the timing on this varies from character to character big ones being slower light ones being faster. Now in PM, unlike Melee when you regrab with nana she will always throw up, but when you are close to either the stage's ledge she will throw forward, from which you can regrab them. The Handoff is a repetition of d-throw with Popo- f-throw with Nana literally its them throwing into grabs"handing off". You can also f-throw with Popo to regrab but generally most people do d-throw with Popo, I believe in Melee this was because if you got to close to the ledge you would drop it, in PM I'm not sure.
And yes, this is an infinite so long as you do not mess up.

side note: make sure to also practice this on platforms, d-throwing without Nana dropping through is either hard, or i suck :p

TL:DR Near ledge or on platform: D-throw(P), Grab after they hit the ground(N), Nana will F-throw, Grab with Popo once bats them away.

side side note: you can also footstool with Nana out of Popo's d-throw, this can set up for either regrabs, tech chases, or jab resetes if they miss the tech

Dumpabump

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5258-0829-4421
so you can regrab with Nana once you down throw with Popo, the timing on this varies from character to character big ones being slower light ones being faster. Now in PM, unlike Melee when you regrab with nana she will always throw up, but when you are close to either the stage's ledge she will throw forward, from which you can regrab them. The Handoff is a repetition of d-throw with Popo- f-throw with Nana literally its them throwing into grabs"handing off". You can also f-throw with Popo to regrab but generally most people do d-throw with Popo, I believe in Melee this was because if you got to close to the ledge you would drop it, in PM I'm not sure.
And yes, this is an infinite so long as you do not mess up.

side note: make sure to also practice this on platforms, d-throwing without Nana dropping through is either hard, or i suck :p

TL:DR Near ledge or on platform: D-throw(P), Grab after they hit the ground(N), Nana will F-throw, Grab with Popo once bats them away.

side side note: you can also footstool with Nana out of Popo's d-throw, this can set up for either regrabs, tech chases, or jab resetes if they miss the tech

That's a lot of info, but I'll make sure to practice it until I get it consistently. Thank you for the responses!

I know it's completely off topic from the thread, but it still pertains to the Icies and I don't think I shold make another thread. Desyncing, how can I do it easily? I know Dash Dancing can cause it, but whats the easiest way to desync?

Also, I know without the WiFi addon, if you hit C-Stick up while shielding Nana will up smash and Popo will jump. How come that changes with the addition of the WiFi addon?

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
I'm unsure about the wifi, I dont have a good enough computer to even attempt to.

The easiest desyncs are the roll and spotdodge dysyncs, you can either roll or spotdodge and buffer what you want nana to do.
For dysyncs I would recommend checking out:
http://smashboards.com/threads/ics-guide-one-controller-two-characters.397008/
from melee boards
http://smashboards.com/threads/guide-to-desynching-treat-your-opponents-even-more-coldly.53912/
from brawl boards
http://smashboards.com/threads/guide-to-desynching-i-really-need-to-massively-revise-this.243922/

I'm pretty sure all the melee transfers but I'm unsure about all the Brawl stuff, @Hylian ?

Dumpabump

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5258-0829-4421
I'm unsure about the wifi, I dont have a good enough computer to even attempt to.

The easiest desyncs are the roll and spotdodge dysyncs, you can either roll or spotdodge and buffer what you want nana to do.
For dysyncs I would recommend checking out:
http://smashboards.com/threads/ics-guide-one-controller-two-characters.397008/
from melee boards
http://smashboards.com/threads/guide-to-desynching-treat-your-opponents-even-more-coldly.53912/
from brawl boards
http://smashboards.com/threads/guide-to-desynching-i-really-need-to-massively-revise-this.243922/

I'm pretty sure all the melee transfers but I'm unsure about all the Brawl stuff, @Hylian ?

I'll check out the threads, thanks for the help.

WiFi is on the Wii btw

Gooch

Smash Cadet
You can DI out of the immediate grab Handoffs? Not like the Dthrow - Dair one, the Dthrow on Popo into Regrab by Nana fthrow into regrab

ilysm

sleepy
Gooch Gooch If you mean ledge handoffs, there's no way outside of mashing. I think that the finisher is a DI mixup (DI in is correct for fsmash but incorrect for fair spike), this is only true if you do the handoff improperly, but know that fair is generally a good option at low percentages anyhow because it's the likeliest to kill.

Also, I tested this because it worked in Melee. Popo bthrow into Nana WD -> grab works on Spacies at very, very low %s. I'm not sure why you would ever want to do it (positional advantage reasons???), but if you do, the option is there. ^_^

Last edited:

Kerfuffle

Smash Apprentice
One I don't see used a ton is using fair on stage to force a tech or jab reset. At low percents, fair will actually just set them down in front of you for an easy regrab, and higher percents can force a tech, which is amazing for gaining stage control or putting your opponent closer to the ledge.

Phresh123

Smash Apprentice
Def gonna start using more fair I like that idea ^

Prepare for more style fair desyncs to tech reads...

Kerfuffle

Smash Apprentice
Something else that's pretty funny that I like is to dthrow, and have Nana jab. If timed right they won't go anywhere from the throw. Watch your opponent not know wtf happened and grab them again.

ilysm

sleepy
OK, so Popo bthrow -> Nana wavedash grab on spacies is definitely a thing and boy is it odd. Note that I've only been fooling around with it but I need to knuckle down for actual testing very soon. First of all, it actually works a little ways past 40% (on Fox anyhow), and I was just hecking up the Nana wavedash length. I actually got it to connect around 60%, but this is the percent range when DI would likely become a factor. But Nana does some pretty bizarre things depending on how far she is from Popo. If she's close enough, she'll do the standard uthrow. But bthrow -> WD grab can also set up a Nannequin (can we please start calling it this? There's really no better name for the setup). It can also hit the bizarre sweetspot range where Nana attempts a dash back to Popo, in this case causing her to bthrow. But I've also seen Nana do a fthrow off of this setup when she wasn't near the ledge and was facing away from Popo. It definitely happened, but I've only seen it once and haven't been able to replicate it yet. This setup is bizarre, but I feel like there could be a lot of cool and flexible spacey punishes at low percentages when things like dthrow dair and dthrow blizzard don't work as effectively due to DI. Off the top of my head, a Nannequin off of this setup can be an excellent corner carry. I've used it to start ledge handoffs before. It could also be used to put Nana beneath a platform. If Popo dashes to her and wavelands on the platform above her he can definitely regrab off of the uthrow and begin a platform handoff. I may try and get some videos up but my computer is sputtering and wheezing and trying to record Dolphin stuff may be tricky. Just thought I should throw this out there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom