• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

chain grabs... what do?

PsyRex

Smash Cadet
The simplest way is don't get grabbed :D other than that, I get killed by it pretty hard as well.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
1) If you don't want to get chaingrabbed, don't play Yoshi. It happens.

2) Don't get grabbed. This is easier said than done, and if you are new to Yoshi or Melee, you will probably get wrecked by bad Sheiks for a while. You need to combo Sheik harder than she can chaingrab you, and you need to learn how to play the neutral with Sheik. The biggest part of this is not making bad approaches. You'll get it with time. aMSa has plenty of sets vs Sheik and he does very well in the matchup, so you can watch what he does. There is also plenty of information on Smashboards if you look for it.

3) When Sheik does get a grab, mix up your DI and try different things. You won't get away for free, but you shouldn't let Sheik chaingrab you for free either.

MrHazuki

Smash Ace
A minor trick that apparently gives Yoshi a slightly smaller frame disadvantage is to choose the higher port number (i.e. reverse port priority), so ideally you need to be P4.

Pabmyster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pabmyster
Idk, I see aMSa escape Sheik's CG all the time some how. It seems he Dj out of it, even at low percents. And it isn't like KK or M2K to drop a cg, esp. on a low tier, cus they know everything about the game. I think he just has amazing DI, and know when he can and can't get away

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
Idk, I see aMSa escape Sheik's CG all the time some how. It seems he Dj out of it, even at low percents. And it isn't like KK or M2K to drop a cg, esp. on a low tier, cus they know everything about the game. I think he just has amazing DI, and know when he can and can't get away
SDI maybe?

kofinater

Smash Apprentice
If you di slightly behind and up, most sheiks don't regrab. You actually have to wait a bit to CG yoshi and both m2k and KK were bad at the sheik CG. You watch aMSa vs japanese sheiks and they'll always go from 0 to 50. You can get out of it at 30ish by DI'ing behind but that leads to an upsmash, so you're around 50 and in a pretty disadvantages position, You can also just di in front till you get off stag, which also sucks but isnt too bad since yoshi armours a bunch of stuff at thtis %. Yoshi does have some decent shield pressure with nair and fair so just be mindful of where you are placing your aerials and don't get grabbed.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Well, as people have said, don't get grabbed, the best way to do this being insane practice of movement on all the stages to the point that you can just slide all over the stage up and down platforms making goofy Yoshi noises indefinitely without slipping up. I think fluid Yoshi movement is intimidation in itself since something about it just looks more, graceful than other characters, although weirdly enough I think the same thing about that level of Donkey Kong movement.

yaaashua

Smash Rookie
I have been annoyed with that for a while, the only thing you can do is to get a PAL version, where sheiks down throw have different angle and you can actually scape :p

Top Bottom