• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CEO Host Alex Jebailey is Planning a Smash-Focused Event

Today, renowned tournament host Alex Jebailey suggested via his Twitter that he'll be hosting a Smash-focused event sometime next year.

This is big news, since Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U already feature prominently at Jebailey's premier event, Community Effort Orlando. In fact, Smashers helped make the very first installment a success way back in 2010. CEO has continued to grow in recent years, attracting over 900 entrants for Smash 4 this past summer. It looks like this exceptional level of support has prompted Jebailey to give back even more in return.

At this point, further details on this upcoming tournament are a bit scarce. Jebailey did mention that he'd be willing to host the original Super Smash Bros., as well as other crossover fighting games, but expressed doubts about including popular fan mod Project M.

He also clarified that CEO 2017 will still host Melee and Smash 4 as main games.

This probable new event will add to Jebailey's widening network of yearly tournaments. As he is a busy man, he'll undoubtedly appreciate any community support he can get. If you live in the Orlando area and can possibly provide assistance, please consider reaching out to him via Facebook and/or Twitter. Also, if you're interested in any capacity, you should check the CEO website regularly for updates and announcements.

G.C. "Djent" Bill

Comments

I don't understand what he means by the comment Project M is no longer supported. By whom? Nintendo? The players and community? By Twitch? By the Florida scene?

I don't understand what he means by the comment Project M is no longer supported. By whom? Nintendo? The players and community? By Twitch? By the Florida scene?
I can't speak for him, but I'd guess he means by the community at large, including prominent TOs. Though obviously Nintendo is somewhat of a driving factor for this change.

I can't speak for him, but I'd guess he means by the community at large, including prominent TOs. Though obviously Nintendo is somewhat of a driving factor for this change.
I think that's silly, especially with the fact Olympus was last weekend and the PM Circuit was an overwhelming success.

My personal opinion though, is the Nintendo issue is what's causing the lack of support by TOs that are seen as prominent. I mean, he said he'd consider Brawlhalla which is has little to no actual player base, but PM is off the table? Silly since Paragon was able to grab 405 people, and Olympus had 206.

Slight edit Jebailey twitter in response to the original question stated he can't have Project M in any capacity at a CEO event, which includes community ran side events that aren't ran by CEO at all, which further points towards the Nintendo issue. Really disappointing this is how the community acts towards PM in order to stay in Nintendos good graces.

Last edited:
I think that's silly, especially with the fact Olympus was last weekend and the PM Circuit was an overwhelming success.

My personal opinion though, is the Nintendo issue is what's causing the lack of support by TOs that are seen as prominent. I mean, he said he'd consider Brawlhalla which is has little to no actual player base, but PM is off the table? Silly since Paragon was able to grab 405 people, and Olympus had 206.

Slight edit Jebailey twitter in response to the original question stated he can't have Project M in any capacity at a CEO event, which includes community ran side events that aren't ran by CEO at all, which further points towards the Nintendo issue. Really disappointing this is how the community acts towards PM in order to stay in Nintendos good graces.
It's honestly the same lines along which one major (G3, I think) didn't allow any 20XX setups. Nintendo helps provide setups for sm4sh events, and melee is there too, so the community as a whole needs to not go against their wishes. Also, the Switch video apparently hinted at some level of eSports support, and if the community in general is ever to get any amount of support from Nintendo like other large eSports have, we really needa just go with the flow. I'm not saying other events can't have their own PM events, but if the big tournaments are trying to stay big and in the public eye, then it would be really bad from a PR point of view to have the company WHOSE GAME THEY MODDED saying that that's not good of them to host. It appears to largely be a precautionary measure.

Expected PM to be the outcast of this particular Smash tourney.
I would enter it for for Smash 64 though. I really like that game.

It seems that smash 64 would be considered a second tier game by the ceo crew. Not by how Smash 64 is from a gameplay perspective but from how much stock CEO crew would put into showcasing it.
Smash 64 seems like it would get very little
or no streaming at this tournament by what Jebailey implied.

Last edited:
Top Bottom