• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Centipede Shoots Down the Fight! - Atari’s Centipede Support Topic

DoctorProctor

Smash Cadet

Atari currently has absolutely no representation in Smash, which is actually pretty crazy to think about. Atari was one of, if not the biggest video game companies pre-Video Game Crash of 1984, and the fact that it has no representation in Smash is a bit frightening. Atari, while not a huge company now, was a giant player in the video game market, and even had history with Nintendo (Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. had ports on the Atari 2600).

So how could Atari be represented in Smash? One of their greatest and most recognizable properties is Centipede.

CENTIPEDE IN SMASH:
Centipede was a 1981 arcade shooter created (and still owned by) Atari Inc. You would use a trackball to control a small ship as it shot at bugs (and centipedes) who were attacking mushrooms in a garden. The game is a huge hit (in fact your parents will probably recognize Centipede) and spawned a sequel, Millipede.

So how would Centipede be implemented in Smash?

Appearance:
In Smash, you would play as the Centipede. The Centipede would use its appearance on the boxart and arcade machine artwork (as well as its design in the feature film Pixels).

Centipede would have above-average ground speed, but with only a moderately faster run. Centipede would naturally rear up in its idle animation, but during its run and walk animations, it would horizontally crawl quickly on the floor. It’s hitbox would change to reflect this, making Centipede pretty unique gameplay-wise as when running, it’d be more long than tall.

Centipede’s alts would include the different variants from Centipede and Millipede (including purple).

Centipede would be a heavyweight fighter. It’s idle size would be comparable to Ganondorf.

Moveset:

Centipede’s moveset would involve projectiles from its games and other Atari games.

• Neutral Special: Summon Spider:
This move would feature Centipede shooting out a Spider from the Centipede game. Spiders hop around the map in a zigzag pattern, dealing a small amount of damage to players. These spiders would home in on opponents, but would be easily defeated. There can only be one spider onscreen at a time.

• Side Special: Summon Scorpion:
Scorpions are another enemy from Centipede. Unlike spiders, these enemies would run in a straight line horizontally along the stage. They would poison any opponent they attack, dealing initial damage, and 1.5% damage every half-second. Scorpions can also be KO’d. There can only be one scorpion onscreen at a time.

• Up Special: Asteroids:
Asteroids is another extremely famous Atari shooter, releasing in 1979. This move allows Centipede to transform into the ship from Asteroids, automatically traveling upwards, but has excellent directional input and can travel almost horizontally at times. This move lasts for a certain amount of time, like Duck Hunt’s up special, and after the move ends, Centipede is helpless. However, during this move, the Asteroids ship can shoot by pressing the B button during the ascent. As such, the shots can be aimed based on the direction the ship is facing. If attacked, the recovery instantly ends and the ship turns back into Centipede, and it becomes helpless.

• Down Special: Mushroom:
Centipede summons a Mushroom right below him, like Pac’s Fire Hydrant. The mushroom is destroyed after a few hits. However, if destroyed, the mushroom will create a small cloud of spores that will injure any players who touch it (similar to Piranha Plant’s side special). The mushroom also acts as a small platform. It is affected by gravity and disappears after a short time.

• Other moves:
Centipede’s tilts and neutral attacks would all be based off of the character’s physical design, and since Centipede is pretty, pretty long, this should be no problem. Centipede’s jabs involve using the character’s large mandible-jaws, and its back throw could humorously feature Centipede rolling on its side and using its many legs to “conveyor-belt” the opponent behind him.

Stage and Music:

Centipede’s stage would have to be its arcade game. The stage would be its original game, with the mushrooms acting as platforms.

Music:
Centipede’s music would be remixes of its sound effects, as well as songs from Centipede ports and remakes. Other Atari songs would be present as well.

https://youtu.be/nVdj9xk1-88

Conclusion

Centipede would be an excellent rep of Atari in Smash. Not only is it simply a cool character, but the character being more horizontal than vertical in design will allow for some very different standard attacks. Special attacks would also be a great representative of arcade shooters and the video game market pre-1984.

Thanks for your support!

Supporters List:

• SilverRalph
  • SneakyLink
  • Mamboo07
  • Plank08
  • ninjahmos

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
DID SOMEONE SAY CENTIPEDE?!

That is one of my favorite arcade games!

Add one supporter.

DoctorProctor

Smash Cadet
DID SOMEONE SAY CENTIPEDE?!

That is one of my favorite arcade games!

Add one supporter.
Will do!

Thank you so much for your support! We need to spread the word as much as possible for Atari to finally get some representation in Smash!

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I'm supporting!
Centipede would be interesting to play as in Smash.^-^ (Loved the movie Pixels, and a multi-legged fighter would be unquie.)

DoctorProctor

Smash Cadet
I'm supporting!
Centipede would be interesting to play as in Smash.^-^ (Loved the movie Pixels, and a multi-legged fighter would be unquie.)
This is unique, totally sounds like a sakurai pick, I dig it
It’d be interesting to see an Atari rep for Smash.
Thank guy guys so much! I’d love for this to get more support! Make sure to spread the word, it’d be awesome to get more retro reps taken seriously.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I never knew I wanted this. But your moveset convinced me. I would really like an Atari rep as I do like their games (Arcade games like Centipede and others like Warlords and Frogger have a charm that even NES games and beyond don't have). Atari was very important for the industry and definitely deserve a rep in the biggest crossover in gaming.

Top Bottom