• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cell phones, services, and you.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
So, I've been with Verizon for a while, and I must say-- they have exceptional service. They're good at everything they do. They're a tad on the expensive side, but they're the best. So why not pay for it?

Something I haven't been too fond of though, other than their expensive price tag, is their selection of cell phones.

I've gone through a few, but the only one that I've liked so far was the Samsung ACH-A950.

It has a sexy red outline, great sound, great features, and it's really sturdy. Its also part MP3 player, but what phone isn't these days-- amirite?

Sadly I got rid of it. I was one of the many fools who fell in to Verizon's trap when their unveiled THIS shotty garbage.

The LG VX8500 "Chocolate". This thing is the succubus of cell phones,. I can't stand it. They break for no reason (I'm on my sixth one), the touch sensitivity is by no means 'convenient', and the features are all the lowest possible quality that it makes me sick.

Sexy, but deadly. I don't want to go into details.

So recently, I ordered the Samsung SCH-A990.

I haven't gotten it in the mail yet, but this baby boosts a 3 point somethin' mega pixel camera-- a god tier amongst camera phones. The LCD even flips around to turn the camera phone into a low-tier standalone digital camera! And the fact that it has the Samsung logo on it makes me feel all warm and cosy inside, since I had a good experience with my previous one. Sure it's not the sexiest looking phone, but heck. It sure sounds swell.

...so that's my long, useless, and pretty boring story.

What service do you have, and what kind of cell phones are you using? Do you like your service? Is your cellphone a *****? Were you a sucker to buy the Chocolate, too? Let's talk!

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
yah i recently got a chocolate (free from my parent's work). Every time i put my fingers/hand on the touchpad by accident, I end up calling someone or doing something stupid. I find that slighly inconvenient, and one time i called someone at 3am by mistake :mad:

inside

Smash Journeyman
I have the very normal RAZR, nothing special. I was thinking about getting the chocolate, but now I really don't want one anymore.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
So... if you hated it so much, why did you buy 6? >_>

And red? That's pink, son.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
So... if you hated it so much, why did you buy 6? >_>

And red? That's pink, son.
I got the first one for free, and it was under warranty. Once one would break, I'd just pop into the Verizon store, and get a new one. No matter how much I begged them, they said "certain conditions" had to be met before giving me a different phone.

And pink? I wish. It's the glare from the camera.

jamminjohn said:
where do you live? here in the bay area, cingular seems to be the best deal.
I live in the middle of the desert, two hours out of Las Vegas. I'm not a big fan of Cingular. I can never get through to people with it.

_kSo_

Smash Master
In my experience, T-Mobile has failed me many times and randomly will have service disappear as well as not have service at all in places where other services will have full service. The phone I have (motorola v360) could also be the cause of this, but i've switched cell phones a few times and that doesnt seem to be the biggest problem - the actual cell phone service is.

T-mobile: Inexpensive, but not worth saving a few bucks. I'd rather pay more for verizon

Sizzle

I paint controllers
I recently switched from Verizon to AT&T (Cingular) and have been pleased so far. I didn't change because I didn't like Verizon, but my family changed plans and I had to follow. I was actually very pleased with Verizon, but like the new Samsung Sync (Red) I got. Very big screen, red, etc. Its a very nice phone.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I'm actually looking for a phone and service provider but haven't really done much research. I found the Helio commercials intriguing so I went to their site and that's about it.

Regail me with your experiences!

Dibs

Smash Lord
I've been tmobile for about 1-2 years now. And I absolutely hate talking on the phone with it.. It could just be because my phone might be broken... or it could be because they suck. There are little spots around my way where the reception is non-existant, but in other places it's completely fine. But lately, all of my calls have been getting dropped after about 5 minutes, either that or they just don't connect. The service just seems to be getting crappier as time goes along. The only thing keeping me with them is unlimited text messaging.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Dibs, I'm pretty sure every service has some sort of unlimited texting nowadays. You'll just need to pay a bit more for it. =/

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I've got Verizon, have had only a single dropped call that I can remember, and currently have a Razr V3m. I'd always heard people complaning about Razrs, but at the time when I went to go get a new phone earlier this year I picked one up because it had the largest buttons out of any of the "free" phones. They were the largest buttons, but they're still tiny. I was awesome at texting with my last phone, but I'm still terrible with my Razr. I love the Razr though, I went ahead and modded it so I didn't have to pay for ringtones or anything and could get sections of the songs that I wanted instead of the crappy quality 15 seconds I'd be paying $2 for. Problem with the Razr though; I always forget it's in my pocket. A few weeks ago I took my dogs down to the river, wading waist high to cross it. I felt my pockets before hand and didn't feel anything, but as soon as I got to the other side I remembered my phone was in my pocket. The camera no longer works and it's pretty laggy. I would take it in and get a new one, but the water damage sticker, which is a white sticker that becomes pink when it gets wet, is slightly pink in one of the corners. And what does Verizon not cover under warranties? Water damage. It's barely pink in one of the corners, but I'm **** sure they'd open up my phone, say "Sorry, the sticker indicates water damage" and just hand it back to me.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Cashed said:
I went ahead and modded it so I didn't have to pay for ringtones or anything and could get sections of the songs that I wanted instead of the crappy quality 15 seconds I'd be paying $2 for.
Do you use Bitpim? If not, tell me what you use. I'm interested in other methods.

Cashed said:
I would take it in and get a new one, but the water damage sticker, which is a white sticker that becomes pink when it gets wet, is slightly pink in one of the corners.
Even though the sticker is slightly pink, you should take it in anyway. If you're a good enough actor, (and if you live in the right area) you might be able to pull off a "humidity" complaint.

Better try and fail than never try at all?

Bailey

Smash Hero
I have been using Nextel/Sprint for about 4 years now I believe and it is been great for me. Granted there are some random places around town were I don't get any service but normally it comes back fast.

A plus about having Nextel are the cool phones they come out with right now I use an i880 and it is by far the best phone I have had. I had an i730. i45. i560. i860. i870 and now my i880.

Here is what the i880 model looks like:

2.0 Megapixel Camera
MP3 Player with Front Stereo Speakers
Walkie-Talkie Services
Speakerphone
Built-in Camera
Web and Email Capable
Group Walkie-Talkie
Bluetooth Wireless Technology
External display
GPS enabled
Expandable memory card slot
Voice-activated dialing

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
The camera on my phone started working at dinner tonight. I don't need to take in it now. I probably could've pulled off saying it was where we live too, I mean, it looks like a rain drop hit my phone and seeped into it and touched the sticker, just barely. I live in Western Washington, where it rains a ton, so they probably would've gone for it.

edit: Oh and I modded my phone using the instructions over at hacktherazr.com and use Mobile Phone Tools as the program to send stuff to it.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I have Cingular service, and my phone is a motorola RAZR. I love both the phone, and the service. My Razr has iTunes, too- so it's pretty sweet. Given, it can only hold 100 songs, but I can play them out-loud without headphones, which an iPod can't do.

I'd highly reccomend RAZRs.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Do you use Bitpim? If not, tell me what you use. I'm interested in other methods.
I have Bitpim and used it with my old (Sprint) phone, but I found that with the RAZR Bluetooth file transfers work just fine. Beyond moving pictures and ringtones (and contacts I guess) I don't really need to get into the phone for anything else, so it's sufficient for me. I guess Sprint's an anomaly though in not crippling the Bluetooth file transfer on the phone.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
So, I bought the new sidekick model. I'm happy with the choice but they (T-mobile) are almost making me regret it. When you first but the phone a box appears when you turn the phone on that says it's waiting for activation. The text tells you that if that box doesn't dissapear after 48 hours to call customer care. 48 hours later I call customer care and the fun begins.

I talk with the first operator and tell her why I'm calling. She asks me what my number is and I tell her I don't know. You are usually sent a number when your service is activated. After asking for some infromations she tells me the service is active.

"Er, well the screen says it isn't."

"Can you try making a call?"

"I can't."

"Ok, let me transfer you to the activation department."

Maybe it's just me but if someone is having trouble with their activation shouldn't the number they call lead them directly to the acitvation department?

I end up talking to three different operators after the first one, each one telling me "the service is active" and myself telling them each time "that's not what the screen says". The last guy transfers me to the tech department because there must be some technical problems.

Operator number five ask me for my number (one of the previous operators had given it to me).

After I give it to her she says "Press menu and l".

My phone works. I had to speak to five different people just to be told this. When I ask why she says it's because the sidekick is designe ot "work at it's best" with the sidekick service. But she can add that now if I'm interested.

-_-

Not only is that the crappiest excuse I've heard but I have the sidekick service. She tells me that my charge says I only have the basic plan for $30 or $40 a month but when I check my status online my bill clearly says I will be charged for the sidekick service. So now I can have fun sorting that out. Dibs (and other t-mobile users), do you have to put up with this?

joshisrad

Smash Lord
I think the last one told you how to unlock your phone.. :o

I'm very satisfied with my Chocolate VX8550.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
The LG VX8500 "Chocolate". This thing is the succubus of cell phones,. I can't stand it. They break for no reason (I'm on my sixth one), the touch sensitivity is by no means 'convenient', and the features are all the lowest possible quality that it makes me sick.

Sexy, but deadly. I don't want to go into details.
I agree, I have one and want it to go the **** away. It opens so god**** easily, and because it's touch sensitive it calls people from my pocket when I'm walking. It's not fun to be somewhere important and here someone going "Hello?" from your pocket. Though I've heard the next generation of Choclates out have added a lock button, and moved the send/end button to the bottom part, making them non-touch sensitive. That seems like it'd be great.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Awesome name change, Eeyore!

But yeah, I finally got rid of my Chocolate a while ago for this:

Xsyven said:
So recently, I ordered the Samsung SCH-A990.

Though it's an amazing camera phone, that's... pretty much all it is. There are a few things this phone doesn't have, that I miss from my chocolate. I really miss the fact that the Chocolate learns things that you type in T9. From what I can tell, all LG phones do that, Samsungs don't. (I could be wrong though...) I also miss how small it is, the sexy GUI, and I actually liked the slide-- though yeah, I'd often answer phone calls I didn't want to answer.

Eeyore said:
Though I've heard the next generation of Choclates out have added a lock button, and moved the send/end button to the bottom part, making them non-touch sensitive. That seems like it'd be great.
I've heard the same stuff. The old Chocolate doesn't have any major flaws, it just had too many **** little ones. With those out of the way, it should be awesome.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
This picture was taken by my cell phone a few days ago. A lovely Porche was in my work's parking lot, so I decided to take a picture.

Can anyone else's camera phone top that? :p

stupidgal

Smash Rookie
I think the last one told you how to unlock your phone.. :o

I'm very satisfied with my Chocolate VX8550.
The best way to unlock phone is by purchasing unlock codes from any third party vendors online like http://www.unlock-zone.com , where you just have to submit your IMEI number,country and network to them.further by the instruction they provide you yourself can unlock it step by step...This will be simpler than that..

Top Bottom