• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just beat Donkey Kong Country 2. Unlike DKC1, this wasn't my first time playing through the full game, but I had a lot of fun with it, even if the last few levels were a major difficulty spike. (I died about thirty times to K. Rool alone!) Still, nothing felt as frustrating as Blackout Basement; the game gave me more than enough lives to progress through trial and error, and I only got one game over. (in the second stage of K. Rool's Keep)

I don't think I'll go to DKC3 right away - I'd rather change things up and play something that isn't a platformer for now.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I just beat Donkey Kong Country 2. Unlike DKC1, this wasn't my first time playing through the full game, but I had a lot of fun with it, even if the last few levels were a major difficulty spike. (I died about thirty times to K. Rool alone!) Still, nothing felt as frustrating as Blackout Basement; the game gave me more than enough lives to progress through trial and error, and I only got one game over. (in the second stage of K. Rool's Keep)

I don't think I'll go to DKC3 right away - I'd rather change things up and play something that isn't a platformer for now.
Good thing you didn't go for the lost world. Because I would argue some of the levels there are actually harder than Blackout Basement cough Black Ice Battle cough Animal Antics cough

Mario 3D All Stars has been out for a while and many dataminers already know how the three games work. In theory, Nintendo could release DK64, Diddy Kong Racing (If they manage to get a deal with Microsoft), Jungle Beat and Returns whenever they feel like for Switch. Because the emulators of N64, Gamecube and Wii for Switch are already made.
The case of DKC Returns is even more favorable, because Mario Galaxy is using the remastered Nvidia Shield version and DKCR also has one made (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5rBJ794Tp0). That version had a button for roll and emulation for motion controls doesn't even need to be coded like it was for Mario Galaxy.
But expecting Nintendo to take advantage of their own inventions to release old games is too much these days. I still remember how 3DS could run GBA or Wii U could run Gamecube games and they didn't even attempt to sell them.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Saved up 250+ rubies until Dixie Kong was in another spotlight. Pulled a total of 65 pipes and didn't even get Dixie Kong.

I got 6 paper airplane gliders in a row. Did a 10 pipe pull and got 3 Dry Bones. I DID get Funky Kong instead. I hate Funky Kong, almost as much as I hate my life.
Don't say these negative things about yourself. You might think of it as a joke, but your brain doesn't know the difference. Adopt a healthier mindset, hold some positive affirmations, and don't talk this negative stuff about yourself, not even as a joke. Take me seriously in this please, you'll know the difference soon enough if you stop talking bad about yourself. It's not worth the laughs, and it will only be funny to those who genuinely think this way.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I know on the Wii VC at least, the emulators for N64 were programmed on a case-by-case basis so the games would run optimally on the Wii's hardware. So the version of the emulator that runs Super Mario 64 is different than the version that runs Yoshi's Story, for example. If you mod your Wii and plan to inject N64 ROMs into your VC releases, you have to make sure what you're replacing is using a compatible fork of emulation.

That is to say, just because the Switch can emulate one N64/Gamecube/Wii game doesn't mean it can run all of them. With proper programming it could probably run most of them, but some may not necessarily be smooth or accurate enough to satisfy Nintendo's standards.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Honestly, I think it's kind of a letdown they just ported the games like that, and didn't give them a visual update... That's mostly what's withholding me from getting Mario 3D All Stars.
I think the biggest let down of all was not having Galaxy 2. Also the limited time thing.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Since I’m of the opinion that Galaxy 1 > 2 (2 mostly feels like leftover ideas from the first one that don’t really stand out on their own much), the lack of 2 in the 3D collection was of no loss to me, but just the bare minimum done in porting those games along with the time limit was enough for me to not bother in double dipping, when I still have as good means of playing those games as I did before. The lack of the extra content/stars from Super Mario 64 DS hurts more than the lack of Galaxy 2 IMO.

Unlikely as it’d be, a 3D DK or Rare collection of some kind would be nice; namely including DK64 (having it on the Wii U VC was a good deal at the time but including it in a collection would be even better), Diddy Kong Racing, and like one other title of some sort...

Oh, how many months after DKC1 on NSO was it that we got 2 on there? Maybe that’s around when we should expect DKC3 NSO to be announced.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Not having Galaxy 2 was basically the dealbreaker for me. Even getting beyond that I prefer it to Galaxy 1 (2 having the more focused level design and better sense of what kind of Mario game its trying to be), I simply can't believe it would have been that much work to have it in the collection. I can forgive the lack widescreen for Mario 64, not bumping up the FPS for it and Sunshine, and even the absurdity that is not allowing the second control stick to move the pointer in Galaxy. I can look past the lack of any interesting elements in the menu or fun bonus material (like an artbook) with the physical release. I can even get over the $60 price point when other collections are offering more content at a lesser price.

But not having a 4th game because they didn't feel like making it work with Switch controllers or wanting to sell it by itself later made it the kind or product I don't want to give Nintendo money for.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Since I’m of the opinion that Galaxy 1 > 2 (2 mostly feels like leftover ideas from the first one that don’t really stand out on their own much), the lack of 2 in the 3D collection was of no loss to me, but just the bare minimum done in porting those games along with the time limit was enough for me to not bother in double dipping, when I still have as good means of playing those games as I did before. The lack of the extra content/stars from Super Mario 64 DS hurts more than the lack of Galaxy 2 IMO.

Unlikely as it’d be, a 3D DK or Rare collection of some kind would be nice; namely including DK64 (having it on the Wii U VC was a good deal at the time but including it in a collection would be even better), Diddy Kong Racing, and like one other title of some sort...

Oh, how many months after DKC1 on NSO was it that we got 2 on there? Maybe that’s around when we should expect DKC3 NSO to be announced.
HIGHLY AGREED. I can still play these games through other means so this collection is passing me by. There's a certain magic that Galaxy had over 2 and I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's how they commit to sci-fi more than Galaxy 2, or the more epic scale. I admit that gameplay-wise SMG2 has the edge but there's something about the original that was pure magic.

I do hope DKC3 gets put up relatively soon though. It'd be nice to give that game a fresh start and see how people who never played it react. I doubt Kiddy will become a cult icon retroactively, but maybe DKC3 will get more recognition for its overworlds and exploration elements.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I've been thinking about the speculation regarding Nintendo going all in with DK again, and even beyond the obvious (another Country title) there's definitely options as far as games.

-Mario vs Donkey Kong Collection: Basically an Eshop only title with all the Mario vs DK titles, allowing everyone to experience the games again; perhaps seeing how much of an interest is still there.

-Donkey Kong Jungle Beat Down: Another Eshop exclusive game, this time a sequel to the Gamecube/Wii game (actually featuring the Country universe this time) and compatible with both the Joy-Cons and Pro Controller; with Diddy and Dixie as playable.

-Diddy Kong Racing Rampage: Probably the least likely given that Nintendo's concluded that Mario Kart is to be their only first party racing series, but a sequel building off the skill based nature of the original DKR and a big single player campaign really would differentiate it from the former. If anything given how much MK's never gone back to the Double Dash mode, having that as an alternative mode could make it stand out even more and be a good excuse for having a big cast of characters.

They're all hypotheticals, but I think there's potential there.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly, I think it's kind of a letdown they just ported the games like that, and didn't give them a visual update... That's mostly what's withholding me from getting Mario 3D All Stars.
Well to be fair, 3D All Stars is the first time 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy are officially in 1080p as I know 64 wasn't in 1080p on the Wii U Virtual Console.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Well to be fair, 3D All Stars is the first time 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy are officially in 1080p as I know 64 wasn't in 1080p on the Wii U Virtual Console.
Mario 64 is still 720p on Switch. That hasn't changed sadly.

The fact that 3D All Stars has a date of expiration to be bought (As stupid as that sounds) makes me think they have plans to do something with those 3 games and more N64, Gamecube (Please Nintendo. It's been almost 20 years without re-releases) and Wii titles. Hopefully that includes DK64, Jungle Beat and Returns.

More people getting to play Jungle Beat would be fun. That angsty phase where Rare fans despised Jungle Beat is long gone and if Koizumi's team is doing someting new with DK (Hopefully respecting the DK universe this time). I would receive it with open arms.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

The fact that 3D All Stars has a date of expiration to be bought (As stupid as that sounds) makes me think they have plans to do something with those 3 games and more N64, Gamecube (Please Nintendo. It's been almost 20 years without re-releases) and Wii titles. Hopefully that includes DK64, Jungle Beat and Returns.

More people getting to play Jungle Beat would be fun. That angsty phase where Rare fans despised Jungle Beat is long gone and if Koizumi's team is doing someting new with DK (Hopefully respecting the DK universe this time). I would receive it with open arms.
Same, I loved Jungle Beat on the Wii long time ago.^-^

Edit: I enjoyed beating up animals and big angery gorillas, giant birds, robot elephants and Pumbaa's many cousins on steroids.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Jungle Beat wasn't a bad game. I'd take more of it, given they can just add Rare elements wherever they can. Nintendo EAD is a great studio, and I wish they could create more DK games, Jungle Beat sequels, and something akin to their 3D Mario games. I've wanted that, since Mario Galaxy; a Donkey Kong game in 3D, maybe a little more action based and faster paced than the 3D Mario games, and more playable Kongs.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Jungle Beat was the first game that made me enjoy playing as DK. As a kid, whenever I had the chance I'd get DK killed in DKC so I could play as Diddy, and in DK64 I only played as him when I had to. If I could get anywhere with any other Kong I definitely would, and he was no fun in the Mario crossovers.

But Jungle Beat changed that. He was finally badass and I felt like a beast playing as him. Didn't like his brand new voice but that was a small price to pay for him actually being cool. Before, I thought his voice was cool but everything else wasn't; it became the opposite and I wasn't complaining lol. If they integrate more Jungle Beat elements into a future DKC that would be ideal.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Still, 64 wasn't 720p on the Wii U Virtual Console.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Jungle Beat was the first game that made me enjoy playing as DK. As a kid, whenever I had the chance I'd get DK killed in DKC so I could play as Diddy, and in DK64 I only played as him when I had to. If I could get anywhere with any other Kong I definitely would, and he was no fun in the Mario crossovers.

But Jungle Beat changed that. He was finally badass and I felt like a beast playing as him. Didn't like his brand new voice but that was a small price to pay for him actually being cool. Before, I thought his voice was cool but everything else wasn't; it became the opposite and I wasn't complaining lol. If they integrate more Jungle Beat elements into a future DKC that would be ideal.
They did at least get it right in terms of DK's own abilities with Jungle Beat. That's for sure. That's a given. He never felt as powerful and overwhelming to play as. Had lots of fun in the "canon Smash tiers" debates defending DK on the forums, because of Jungle Beat. I still think they had a lot of things right, the way you interact with the environment, the combo system, the fast pacing, the beat em up mechanics, the overal quirky feeling, that's all fitting out beloved franchise really well. It's just a shame it had the need to compete with everything that went before it, despite being build off from it so much. But after Returns, I was sure they'd get it right.

If the game just had the minimal DKC elements that Returns had, like Diddy, Cranky, Rambi and minecarts, am sure this game would've been massively celebrated amongst DKC fans.

That's why I wouldn't object to a sequel. It at least would give us something. The Kremlings and K.Rool also would really fit this type of gameplay and design. I could also see this type of game to be an ideal sort of co-op competition type of game, Kong Vs Kong, whoever gets the most bananas, beats up the most enemies, and get the best combos, or beat the most Bonus Areas... With single player, just make it so more Kongs are playable, and needed to reach Bonus Areas, collect certain medals, or reach a certain end time on levels.

The whole concept of Jungle Beat seems easy to build something fantastic out of, and also unique and fresh, while respecting the core characters and gameplay. What if they'd call it Donkey Kong Jungle Rush? Combining platform, racing and beat em up mechanics with competitive co-op multilayer. Seems I D E A L for Donkey Kong honestly.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A Jungle Beat sequel would also be a great platform for Lanky to come back in some form as it feels like a better fit for him than the country series.
No Country seems to fit him fine too honestly. His long reach could help him compensate for some weaknesses in strength and speed he could have comparing to other Kongs. He seems an ideal Kong to reach up to distant areas, or take up multiple weaker enemies from a distance with his arms. Handstand walk could compensate for lack in speed, but he can't attack while doing it. He could be a Kong with no throws, no flying ability, not much strength or speed, no roll, but great gimmicks.

Bodacious66

Smash Cadet
I agree with everyone here that Dixie should have been added to smash a long time ago. I also do not see her being in the fighters pass, I think her best chances was always as a base game character unfortunately and its baffling that they still haven't added her.

The only way I could possibly see it happening is if after the fighters pass is over the game gets sort of a final major update as a thank you to the fans where they add some highly requested features / echo fighters / maybe a stage or something. But that's just a thought

cybersai

Smash Ace
If I were to talk about "mainline" DK games since DK was reimagined with Rare, I'd say:

- Donkey Kong Country Trilogy (SNES) and Donkey Kong Land 1 (Gameboy). DK Land was actually a completely different game than DKC1. Land 2 and 3 were like downsized ports.

- Donkey Kong 64 (N64)

- Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (Gamecube, later ported to Wii)

- Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)

- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Wii-U/Switch)

Of course there's a ton of spinoff DK games, like King of Swing and Jungle Climber, the music games, and the Mario vs. DK series, but of course those are spinoffs.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I know people are probably looking at the absolutely bonkers level of complexity in Steve's moveset and thinking that Dixie Kong couldn't possibly live up to that. However, after we got Hero, a character with a unique MP system with a slew of special move options, we got Banjo-Kazooie, a much simpler character more in the vein of what you'd see in Melee or Brawl, with the biggest stand-out mechanic being Wonderwing.

Of course, Banjo was a very highly-requested character, so perhaps his relative simplicity was forgiven for this fact alone, but I think it shows that a character doesn't necessarily need to be galaxy brain technical to be a solid addition.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I think this is a good review of Jungle Beat, it only focuses on the GameCube version with Bongos. I only own the Wii version (Which uses the stick to move DK and uses hearts as health) and I never owned the Bongos so I missed out on the fun of punching evil Kongs at cathartic beat speed. It's sad how putting Diddy, Dixie or Cranky as mini-cameos would have made this game much more well known for average Nintendo fans that love Rare's DK.

I know people are probably looking at the absolutely bonkers level of complexity in Steve's moveset and thinking that Dixie Kong couldn't possibly live up to that. However, after we got Hero, a character with a unique MP system with a slew of special move options, we got Banjo-Kazooie, a much simpler character more in the vein of what you'd see in Melee or Brawl, with the biggest stand-out mechanic being Wonderwing.

Of course, Banjo was a very highly-requested character, so perhaps his relative simplicity was forgiven for this fact alone, but I think it shows that a character doesn't necessarily need to be galaxy brain technical to be a solid addition.
And then Byleth came in, which was a character from a series already existing in the game (I know I know, unfair special treatment yadda yadda) and without gimmicks at all in his moveset.
Dixie can have a few quirks almost no other characters do, :ultpeach: is the only character with an special float mechanic, :ultdk: is the only character with a cargo throw, no character is using their hair as an extensive weapon in the roster (:ultbayonetta: doesn't count).

Just the concept of things Dixie usually does. Which putting them together can make a very refreshing character. Like.... people are tired of swords, but a spear, axe, hammer or.... ponytail user would completely fine because does not look like a sword, right?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Beyond actual gameplay, I think Jungle Beat was just Nintendo grossly underestimating/misunderstanding how much the DKC elements were beloved and convinced that Donkey Kong's presence alone could sell the concept. Its worth noting that every DK related game after (that wasn't part of the Mario vs Donkey Kong sub series) went all in on the characters/elements introduced by Rare. King of Swing, Jungle Climber, Diddy Kong Racing DS, Barrel Blast; they're are big with cameos and references to the 90s games and more or less confirmed that legacy was here to say in some form or another.

I suspect the only reason such things weren't put into the Wii version of Jungle Beat was to keep costs down.

donkeykong_downunder

Smash Rookie
Great to see DKC getting more love and like many am enjoying revisiting DKC2 again! Here's my framed DKC2 poster from the old Nintendo Power magazine...

http://instagr.am/p/CFgoVs3nf9P/

Wait, They re doing that?
Speaking of which, there is currently a DK news item on the Nintendo Switch news column which covers the DK series history, from Arcade right up to DKC.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
NinNakajima made a background of Dixie for Smash.

Dixie Bg by nin-mario64

This was his art for the other DK characters.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Pardon my language but....GOD DAYUMN!!!! THIS IS EXCELLENT! ALL OF THESE WORKS ARE AWESOME. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR SHARING IT.

It HAS to get the thread spotlight ASAP.

Last edited:

paperosbronzo90

Smash Cadet
In my opinion Dixie is not off the table yet. She's getting a lot of attention and the fact that DKC3 will (obviously) be released on NSW, makes me think we will get Dixie alongside DKC3 to celebrate her inclusion in Smash.
Basically, Sakurai confirmed that Nintendo choose the characters for the Fighter Pass, so why are they promoting Dixie (and DKC) lately? In these months Dixie has gained more fans, maybe the last presentation wasn't the right time to show her.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't think Dixie will be a huge contender if there's no new major Donkey Kong release planned. I think she's probably the most likely for the last spot, a quick realisation that she's needed cause she's getting a major role for the first time in a 3D game? I mean, I can't see them adding Dixie anymore on the merits of her Country appearances, even if they're enough. To make the cut as a DLC fighter, the ladder is probably way higher.

Not saying there's no chance. There definitely is. The chance for a new DK game is probably higher than Dixie appearing as a Smash DLC fighter, but I bet we'll see her eventually.

'Oh no but she'll miss Ultimate, the ultimate Smash game with the biggest roster ever!!!1' wait hold your horses! I think there's a big chance we'll get a port of Ultimate as the next Smash game, probably preservering it's whole roster, DLC included. Or most at least. It'll still be the biggest crossover in videogames ever, and bet the base roster will get newcomers long overdue, as Impa, Bandana Dee, Dixie, (Captain) Toad, and probably a few Echoes who would make sense, as Gooyie (Goo-Luigi). Whatever 3rd party is to be excluded might simply be readded by DLC, for extra 3rd party profit$.

Dixie will get in Smash one day.

My main concern is getting our franchise up and running and make it compete with Zelda for #3 favourite Nintendo franchise, as it always should've been.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If Smash is to maintain its momentum post-Ultimate, the only cuts (if any) will be some of the 3rd parties whose licensing time ran out. Everyone else is easy enough to keep if Ult’s successor is given enough time and management, especially if Sakurai’s still there by then, but even he won’t always be around for Smash as he said... Still, most of Ultimate’s assets would be ported, just as the previous games reused assets from the Smash’s that came before them for the roster characters and things.

Would still prefer Dixie to debut in Ultimate that said, as the future of Smash like with anything can be uncertain, but if not she’ll still make it in at some point regardless, as pointed out.

Top Bottom