• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
If Dixie was a DLC character then her moveset would almost definitely be unique. Lots of DLC characters are built from the skeletons of other fighters but still have playstyles all their own, and I see no reason Dixie wouldn't be the same.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'd love to see the animal buddies incorporated into at least one of her special moves. Being carried by Squawks for her Up B, charging across on Rambi for her Side B, etc.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I keep seeing this on my Twitter Timeline and I'm noticing a lack of Dixie there. I mean, really? Not even in the Top 30?!

You know what to do folks.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Dammit Ratchet and Clank are on the radar?! I've been slaving away at a potential moveset for them since 2016! They were my "never gonna happen" choices and I thought everyone ignored them for obvious reasons. Thanks to Rift Apart I shouldn't be surprised now; they're relevant again.

Anyway I've changed the thread title to reflect the news. One of us should go to the Discord server and promote it there if they haven't already. We gotta signal boost this before it's too late, which reminds me: donkeykong_downunder donkeykong_downunder I gave you a shoutout in the Thread Title but atm I have to give this poll a spotlight. When it's over I'll change it back to your spotlight.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
10 years ago today... Man time sure does fly by.

(Credit to DK Vine for reminding me)

While still great, But not best game in the series, It was the one to reboot/reinvigorate the franchise and not just bring Donkey Kong to new generation of players, But also returning older players who grew up with DK.

It sure as hell renewed my interest back into Donkey Kong as I "Kind of" fell off of the series after Donkey Kong 64 because of the direction Nintendo took the franchise after the Rareware buyout, After a decade of only really getting my DK fix out of Mario spinoffs through the Gamecube and early Wii era, It was great to see Retro Studios pick up where Rareware left off with Returns and taking it to the next level with it's sequel Tropical Freeze which I probably consider to be the best 2D platformer of all time.

Just like with Metroid, I hope someday Retro Studios takes another shot at the Donkey Kong franchise.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I keep seeing this on my Twitter Timeline and I'm noticing a lack of Dixie there. I mean, really? Not even in the Top 30?!

You know what to do folks.
The problem with polls like this is that it largely depends on which site it gets traction on. If there was a write-in poll on Smash Boards, GameFAQs, or Reddit, I feel pretty certain that Professor K, Monokuma, Isaac from the Binding of Isaac, or Arle wouldn't crack the top thirty, and I doubt that Waluigi would get roughly 1/10 of the total votes. (I like Waluigi, but I don't think he's that overwhelmingly popular)

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
If Dixie were to be playable, would her Smash design be largely take from Tropical Freeze?
That would be nice; Tropical Freeze could use some love from Smash, but I would definitely give Dixie her kneepads from the old days. It made her look cooler. I'd personally like her to be based mostly on TF, like her running animations and overall look, but a few things taken from all her appearances.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
This is probably unethical, immoral, and in some jurisdictions unlawful to say, but I kind of prefer how Dixie looks like in Mario Kart Tour than Tropical Freeze. Maybe it's the lighting? Something seems a little different in MKT and I think it works.

The flat lighting in Tropical Freeze is a real drag when the game is so cool looking otherwise.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The problem with polls like this is that it largely depends on which site it gets traction on. If there was a write-in poll on Smash Boards, GameFAQs, or Reddit, I feel pretty certain that Professor K, Monokuma, Isaac from the Binding of Isaac, or Arle wouldn't crack the top thirty, and I doubt that Waluigi would get roughly 1/10 of the total votes. (I like Waluigi, but I don't think he's that overwhelmingly popular)
I would be surprised and not surprised at the same time to find out if Waluigi did that well or he didn't. Literally, Waluigi is the new Ridley right now. Both were characters that people claim had stuff going against them Ridley being too big and Waluigi just being a spin off character and both being consider meme characters by a good chunk of the community. A lot of people revision the past after Ridley got in and pretended they never said all those things against him same for K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie. Waluigi right now get's as much hate from detractors as Ridley did before he was confirmed. History is repeating itself here with Waluigi and I wouldn't be surprised if he get's promoted and still makes it into Ultimate's roster.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
This is probably unethical, immoral, and in some jurisdictions unlawful to say, but I kind of prefer how Dixie looks like in Mario Kart Tour than Tropical Freeze. Maybe it's the lighting? Something seems a little different in MKT and I think it works.

The flat lighting in Tropical Freeze is a real drag when the game is so cool looking otherwise.
Nah I totally agree with you. I always thought the colors on Dixie's model looked a little too saturated in TF, and she had a plasticy look to her. By comparison, MKT tones down the color a bit in favor of soft lighting. In fact, here's a comparison of the two:

I wanted to get scenes with similar lighting (or at least poses) but I had a hard time finding any. But you can see how the colors are lighter and warmer in MKT. The fur and ponytail especially are much lighter.

That said, TF prerendered cutscene Dixie still looks great.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So where do y'all think Dixie's chances currently stand for Ultimate?
I say we need to have a sequel to these trailers at all costs to make a full trilogy.

One released in the Summer of 2018, one released in the Summer of 2019. Now is the Summer of 2020. The time for the Pink Berets to reclaim destiny!

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Been meaning to discuss this with ChronoBound ChronoBound - I do wonder ATM however. I hope to articulate my thoughts later.
A big hope would have to rest on the idea that Nintendo would choose her due to making a big effort to promote DK to the same level of prominence it had in the 90's which does have some roots due to the Konversation rumour, K. Rool being included in that DKC calendar, the Donkey Kong DLC in Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle and the inclusion of Funky Kong and Dixie Kong in Mario Kart Tour (with Dixie even getting her own history trailer, which I don't think any other character in that game did).

StormC

Smash Hero
So where do y'all think Dixie's chances currently stand for Ultimate?
Eh.

Unless there's a new DK game on the way that they're gonna promote, pretty low. I think there's just no real interest at Nintendo to have a character like Dixie as DLC in Smash, certainly not the kind of character they would want to host a 30 minute video surrounding. She doesn't bring in a new setting/series and she probably wouldn't appeal to new types of fans as much.

I'd still love her but I think barring a miracle, she's probably not getting into Ultimate.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Eh.

Unless there's a new DK game on the way that they're gonna promote, pretty low. I think there's just no real interest at Nintendo to have a character like Dixie as DLC in Smash, certainly not the kind of character they would want to host a 30 minute video surrounding. She doesn't bring in a new setting/series and she probably wouldn't appeal to new types of fans as much.

I'd still love her but I think barring a miracle, she's probably not getting into Ultimate.
Kinda how I feel too. Unless a new DK game is coming but since Nintendo rarely ventures outside of Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade on Switch I think the chances of a new DK are not as high as they should be. Retro Studios squandered 6 years working on vaporware after Tropical Freeze instead of working on another DKC follow-up and now they are working on Prime 4. So DK is currently ass-out again on a development studio. Look at 3DS it was a super successful console with MANY franchises getting multiple installments yet all DK got was a Returns port. Who's to say Switch wont be the same with just a Tropical Freeze port and nothing else.

I want Dixie I TRULY do she is like the last character in Smash that I TRULY need/want but knowing how slow Nintendo/Sakurai are to add DK content to Smash and make new DK games I doubt we will see her. DK seems to only be allowed getting one newcomer every 10 years. It really will be a miracle if Dixie is a DLC character.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I want Dixie I TRULY do she is like the last character in Smash that I TRULY need/want but knowing how slow Nintendo/Sakurai are to add DK content to Smash and make new DK games I doubt we will see her. DK seems to only be allowed getting one newcomer every 10 years. It really will be a miracle if Dixie is a DLC character.
For what it's worth, despite their highly unlikely odds before, we've still managed to deceive likes of Ridley and K.Rool before. So in some ways, never say never? :025:

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
For what it's worth, despite their highly unlikely odds before, we've still managed to deceive likes of Ridley and K.Rool before. So in some ways, never say never? :025:
I think that's a fallacious way to look at probability. Probability is speculative; either the character is in or they aren't. The circumstances for Ridley and K. Rool to get into Ultimate were favorable to them (adding highly demanded characters). How likely it was that Ridley and K. Rool were to be in previous Smash games is ultimately irrelevant, because they weren't in them. Likelihood doesn't really mean anything for characters after the fact.

Granted, Dixie was cut from Brawl, but I don't think there's any reason to think that's a boon for her, otherwise we'd be speculating about Plusle, Minun, and Toon Zelda. So, if Dixie were to get in, it would likely be because the circumstances allowed it, same with K. Rool/Ridley.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Granted, Dixie was cut from Brawl, but I don't think there's any reason to think that's a boon for her, otherwise we'd be speculating about Plusle, Minun, and Toon Zelda. So, if Dixie were to get in, it would likely be because the circumstances allowed it, same with K. Rool/Ridley.
Yes, but Dixie's fan demand was much higher than most cut characters. It's like how before Everyone is Here was revealed, lots of people wanted Ice Climbers and Wolf back, but not many cared about Young Link or Pichu.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yes, but Dixie's fan demand was much higher than most cut characters. It's like how before Everyone is Here was revealed, lots of people wanted Ice Climbers and Wolf back, but not many cared about Young Link or Pichu.
I believe the popular Echo Fighters like Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus all got in because of the Smash Ballot as well. People were crying for Daisy for years and Chrom and Dark Samus' time in the sun was over for them in their franchises because their story is over. Fire Emblem fans didn't stop supporting Chrom after he was deconfirmed in the Robin/Lucina reveal back in July of 2014. Most people I believe who voted for Dark Samus just wanted another Metroid rep in general and if they couldn't have Ridley they would take Dark Samus. With all this in mind, I believe Dixie Kong did better than them except for maybe Daisy in the Ballot but hasn't been added yet due to Sakurai thinking she is too unique to be made into a Echo Fighter as they wouldn't do her justice being one of DKC's protagonists. I literally think Dixie did better in the Ballot than most of the veterans and newcomer Echos but isn't been added yet because Sakurai wants to make her into a unique fighter or semi-clone and isn't prioritizing on her right now. Maybe she will be DLC in Ultimate or she will be in base game for Smash 6. But either way, I think Dixie is inevitable.

Last edited:

paperosbronzo90

Smash Cadet
Hi guys, long time no see. Well, I'm quite excited for the Arms showcase cause I really enjoyed the game. In my view tomorrow Sakurai will deconfirm the theory that "spirits cannot be characters". It's impossibile to have an Arms rep without Springman or Ribbon girl, they're the mascots of the franchise so it's very unlikely to not have them as playable characters. The most likely scenario is Springman as playable character with 7 other characters as alts (and Springtron as an Assist Trophy).
In this case things will look good for Dixie, not considering her recent inclusion in Mario Kart Tour The tweet of Nintendo America makes me think that we will finally see Dixie in Smash, considering that even Nintendo noted that she's an important and historical character. Fortunately, tomorrow we will finally see who the Arms character is.

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Donkey Kong Racing Wave 14

• Funky Kong, arriving fashionably late to the party
  • Klaptrap, the smallest of the Kremling Krew getting some shine
  • Ghastly King, taking on more of a wrestler look
  • Kowalee, no longer confined to the Golden Temple level in DKCR

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
The great thing about your series besides the art is that you also pick some characters that might fly under the radar, like Kowalee. I like their new vest too! They look vaguely like bowlers, like in a bowling alley. Bowlers bowling with bombs, and Donkey Kong's their pins.

That's a pretty interesting take on Ghastly King. I admit I saw Ghastly King as more of a naturey "nightmareish" creature before this, but I oddly like the boots you gave him.

You did a great job on Funky's expression!

I don't think Klaptrap would be able to pass most driving tests, but it's a respectable choice and they look good.

I'll post it within the next day or two!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Dixie were to be playable, would her Smash design be largely take from Tropical Freeze?
Doesn't seem logical to me. Think she'd look better if she blended in with the looks of the current DKC cast. Even if I think DK conflicts a bit with Diddy and K.Rool. However, I think she will keep a classic Rare design close to Diddy. Just look at Banjo.

Also. Play a lot of Xenoblade now. The remake then. I think Monolith would be amazing to build a world close to DK64's, but bigger. DK Island could basically be around the size of Bionis, smaller even with more complex and interactive maps, similar to what you would expect from Mario or Zelda in 3D, maybe with more potential of destroying and throwing stuff.

Also, Pichu and Young Link where quite often supported honestly. Everyone just talked about how unlikely they where of ever returning, much like Squirtle and Ivysaur. I am honestly also thinking that Snake might as well be the ballot winner instead of K.Rool, he was also massively supported despite people often dismissing him as unlikely.

Anyway, Everyone Is Here is clearly a result from ballot voting. I think Dixie did a lot better than most Echoes we've gotten, but needed way more resources to create a moveset than the others due to Helicopter Spin. And why add just one character (Dixie) if you could add 4 also relatively popular characters with less development time (Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus- even Isabelle).

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I suspect that Dixie would look like TF/MKT but with kneepads.

Technically, K. Rool is Paon K. Rool, even if he's got the Rare coloring.

So we will get modern Dixie, which is tecnically Paon Dixie. Though if you ask me, Dixie looked mega weird in King of Swing, including her official art.

I think BK look like N64 renders come to life because they're third party. They seem a lot more unwilling to change up designs they don't own -- or maybe not unwilling, they're not allowed to. Meanwhile, Dixie's a Nintendo character.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, they really wanted to double down on making sure people would keep expectations in check during this sensitive and uncertain time.

paperosbronzo90

Smash Cadet
Super happy for Min Min's inclusion. Now, I'm excited to see how her spirit will change and how her dlc spirit collection will be composed

Top Bottom