• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Caution - High Voltage - Pichu for Smash Switch

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm really looking forward to playing pichu. I didn't think rage would benefit it much at first, because it'll be ko'ed before it has a chance to use it well, but if it's fast like I think it'll be, then maybe it'll be easier to survive, (and wont have to be hit to rack up the damage for it)
but in general I think it's going to be a good character with obvious strengths and weaknesses. Biggest strength is that it's cute.

Last edited:

alexfang452

Smash Rookie
Glad to see Pichu back. Since I mained Pikachu in smash 4, Pichu is gonna be a character I'm gonna focus on. One thing I hope is that Pichu keeps its nair from melee. Otherwise, it adds to the list of moves that can hurt Pichu when used.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
  • Keep Nair as it was in Melee, or better.
  • Bring back the little green backpack alt (I think I'm the only one who used this over the goggles).
  • Make him a hard counter to Bayonetta.
These are the three things I want out of Pichu in Ultimate.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
funnily enough I have played pichu in melee and got my ass kicked. (melee gravity feels heavy) But never the less I still love em. One great thing that pichu will bring is an amiibo and hope we get some amiibo tournaments here in Canada.

MetroLSD

Smash Apprentice
Don't think of it as a 1v1 damage increase, but rather the 1v+ is just nerfed. Also, how is Lucario not viable?
Though this probably isn't a good source, Smashwiki said that Lucario is considered "below average" in Smash 4

Exegguter

Smash Lord
If you can get a dtilt in at 90% its pretty much a guaranteed ko cause it combos into thunder or usmash/fsmash

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Was it just me or have none of Pichu's alternate palettes been shown?

I'm curious if he has the goggles again.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Though this probably isn't a good source, Smashwiki said that Lucario is considered "below average" in Smash 4
"As such, the majority of players feel that Lucario's current placing is well deserved for the time being, so it is still seen as a viable pick in tournaments."

Lucario is pretty viable, although I suspect it is a character that appeals to a certain type of player (high-risk, high-reward). Lucario is probably a top 20 character in Smash 4. We'll see what happens to Lucario in Ultimate.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If nothing else, Pichu certainly looks more confident in his attacks. You'd probably not notice him being hurt by it's own Thunder were it
not for percents being shown.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Very happy that Pichu is back. He was my second go to character in Melee when I played it as a kid. He'll probably be one of my top 5 go to characters in Ultimate. Really looking forward to playing him a lot and being able to confidently beat all my friends with a character that damages itself.
:ultpichu: Plus he's adorable, so that's always a good thing.

Maikou

Smash Ace
I just wish they gave the electric mice realistic fur. If it's good enough for Lucario then the Chus should have it too.
Not really. The thing is, Pikachu and Pichu are cute because of how unrealistic and cartoony they are. Trying to make them more realistic, like by giving them fur textures, tends to make them look off. Lucario gets away with it because Lucario's design is meant to be cool or a little intimidating, and it's generally a very serious Pokemon with a design that translates a little better to a less cartoony environment. Pokken highlights this pretty well. Look at Lucario and Pikachu in that game. Pikachu has realistic fur there and that plus the overly serious, competitive personality of that Pikachu prevent him from being as cute as he's supposed to be. (Pikachu Libre manages to be cute by covering most of that fur and remaining cheerful, but she still doesn't look as good as Pikachu usually does) Lucario looks pretty normal, besides the odd animation. Lucario's design just translates better to a more realistic appearance than the lightning rats'.

This is also why Bowser and the Kongs have realistic scales/fur textures and voice effects, while Yoshi remains more properly voiced, unrealistically textured, and cute.
  • Keep Nair as it was in Melee, or better.
  • Bring back the little green backpack alt (I think I'm the only one who used this over the goggles).
  • Make him a hard counter to Bayonetta.
These are the three things I want out of Pichu in Ultimate.
Yes! Especially hard countering Bayonetta! It's hysterical to imagine the cocky, overpowered Umbra Witch getting just destroyed by the cuddly little lightning mouse not even a quarter of her size.

Main thing I want costume-wise though is just keeping the scarves. I loved those too in Melee, and Pikachu only getting the goggles makes him look a bit naked compared to Pichu wearing them plus a scarf. I REALLY hope Pichu gets a bunch of different colored accessories and scarves, if only for adorableness.

Hello, fellow Pichu fans! I really should've come to this thread earlier. Pichu and Young Link are the veterans I've been most excited to see return in Smash Ultimate (though after going back to Brawl, I'm really happy to see the Pokemon Trainer and their full team back as well), and I'm glad to talk to other people who look forward to destroying everything with the embodiment of adorableness.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I kinda want to see Pichu be trash so I can see the low tier compilations. It's worse than Pikachu canonically anyway, going off of base stats. I'll be fine if it doesn't happen, but still...

GoombaSSB

Smash Rookie
I see a few people in here referencing Alts they wanna see return. I think it'd be cool if they put in the Spiky Eared Pichu. Throw on a little scarf with it and BOOM. An Alt I can certainly get around.

Majalbatross

Smash Apprentice
It's great to see my boy back! I never mained him in Melee, granted, but I always remembered him as the adorable underdog regardless of how bad he was competitively. Let's just hope he's well buffed in other areas so him still taking recoil from electric attacks isn't too much of a downside for him this time. I beg you Sakurai!

The Hat Trick

Smash Rookie
rage toggle = no non-trash pichu
Rage vs No Rage is gonna be a big thing in the early stages of this game's competitive history. I advise you as well as everyone to voice your opinion on this matter because it could ultimately(no pun intended) change this character in the meta game forever.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I don't think rage will be as good for Pichu as some people seem to think. Sure, if you get to 140%, you might as well spam projectiles to get some extra rage, but what are the chances of a light character like Pichu living that long? Chances are Pichu will be more hurt than helped by rage since Pichu isn't heavy enough to abuse it (in Melee, Pichu was lighter than Jigglypuff).

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I remember a time when it seemed like everyone disliked Pichu. I'm happy to see all this support for Pichu now. I'd never thought I see a day where people were actually excited for him.

Pichu will definitely be one of my mains, and I hope he gets a ukelele costume.

Gallant Blade

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1118-1379-3691
Heyo! Future Pichu main here!

Of all the quick, light characters in Smash, Pichu was my fav. And now it will be my future main, alongside many others because I love all these guys. Because it discharges more electricity due to a lack of control, it will hopefully deal more damage, which would be nice.

Hail to Pichu! I will complete the “Spirits” mode, get every character, then solo it as Pichu. Then solo All Star as Pichu. Then do the inevitable Ultimate All Stars two player event match with JUST Pichu! My player two will also use Pichu.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Unless looks are deceiving, does Pichu's grab seem to reach awfully far for how tiny it is? Check the Electrode clip in it's video.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Do you guys know if Agility still damages Pichu?

EDIT: It does.
First Agility does 0.6% damage and the second one does 1.4%.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't know, I doubt it, but it looks like it goes farther than Pikachu's Quick Attack.
Thats not good at all who cares about the length we need it to damage
It really does go further than pikachu. It's a great recover move. It doesnt damage, but I wonder how much lag there is on it, for if it can be good to move around.
I dont think it'll be as good as pikachu's in combat, but pichu is faster :)

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It really does go further than pikachu. It's a great recover move. It doesnt damage, but I wonder how much lag there is on it, for if it can be good to move around.
I dont think it'll be as good as pikachu's in combat, but pichu is faster :)
I'm still wondering if it's invincible at any point. Imagine the return of 64 Quick Attack on Pichu.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm still wondering if it's invincible at any point. Imagine the return of 64 Quick Attack on Pichu.
You're right, Im wondering about that too. If at least it had that it would be useful sometimes.

One thing that's really good with it is that you can go deep off stage with pichu, cuz it goes soo far.
So, may be at least good to help gimp :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom