• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Caution - High Voltage - Pichu for Smash Switch

PF9

Smash Lord

Pichu was one of 14 newcomers added for Super Smash Bros. Melee, and being the pre-evolved form of my main Pikachu, he was something of a secondary main for me.

He was one of several cut from Brawl, and data mining revealed that he was the only veteran not considered for the game, when you consider Toon Link a natural evolution of Young Link. There were many that were glad to be rid of him, given his status as the lowest-ranked on the SSBM tier list and his perception as a "joke" character given that he damaged himself when using electric attacks.

But Pichu had a dedicated fanbase, being one of the cutest Pokemon out there, and have hoped for his return to Smash for a long time. With the Switch out, is this finally the time for Pichu to return to Smash?

Pichu Discord
https://discordapp.com/invite/7bHMxpr

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hey, I know someone who would have loved to support him.

Too bad she's far too sick right now.

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
Sure, I'd love to see Pichu come back in the next installment!

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I'd love to see Pichu come back. It may have been a joke/clone character, but I've still always been fond of it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As long as there's no "beat Master Core at 9.0 difficulty with Pichu" challenge then the more the merrier.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Pichu's self-harming made him a uniquely tactical fighter who couldn't just spam lightning like Pikachu. Sure, this made him bad but it also made him the most different in play style of all the clone characters. He does not deserve the hate he gets.

Pichu needs work if he's to return but he has potential and I would LOVE to see it utilised.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I am 100% fully behind Pichu coming back, :pichumelee: is my second-most played Melee character and for one reason or another I could never get myself to enjoy playing as Pikachu as much as I did Pichu, he's legitimately the closest thing I have to a secondary in any of the Smash games.

Last edited:

Exsception

Smash Rookie
NNID
ShinySceptile89
3DS FC
1607-2130-1527
I would LOVE that! But unfortunately, even if Smash for Switch does feature new characters, there are probably a bunch of potential characters that would be prioritized over him.

But still, he was my main in Melee, so nothing would make me happier than to see a (probably) buffed version of him come back.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I would LOVE that! But unfortunately, even if Smash for Switch does feature new characters, there are probably a bunch of potential characters that would be prioritized over him.

But still, he was my main in Melee, so nothing would make me happier than to see a (probably) buffed version of him come back.
Indeed. There is very little hope for Pichu as he's nolonger relevant and he's one of the most disliked clones around. I do not expect a return for him but would love it if he did beat the odds. Of those cut between Melee and Brawl, he and Mewtwo were the only ones I cared about.

Still, I am very precious of certain elements of the character. If he is buffed to have more range or damage than Pikachu, I will be very upset. His skill is in speed and manipulation so multi-hits and easy little combos would make much more sense for him.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
I say, if a character debuts in one Smash, he's part of the Smash family for life. In my earlier days of playing Melee I did play the mouse Pokèmon quite a bit.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I support Pichu coming back as long as we get Ivysaur and Squirtle too. All three should come back.

PF9

Smash Lord
In my headcanons when Pichu was in Smash he was good friends with Yoshi, since the latter has been known to be good with babies (if you know what I mean).

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I would say we wouldn't get 3 Pokémon but we got 4 fire emblem In smash 4 so anything is possible
Brawl added 4 Pokemon tho remember? - :squirtle::ivysaur::charizard::lucario:
And FE only got 4 via lucky circumstances that took little effort :4lucina: and DLC :4feroy::4corrinf:.

What's my point you ask? IDK, I guess to say the same thing. Anything is possible.* (But not quite anything obviously.)

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Nope.

And it won't ever be. Thank god for that.
If you don't want him that's fine, but keep in mind that it's against forum rules to go into a support thread just to trash on other people's suggestions. You can express your opposition without being rude you know.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Would love to see him back and the faces and reactions of the rest of the community when he's officially revealed. And his gimmick made him kinda unique.

D

Deleted member

They just confirmed Pichu for SSF2.

Im not kidding, look it up.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Welcome to Smash Pichu.

That is, SSF2.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
See, Sakurai/Nintendo? There's still enough love for our electric baby mouse!

D

Deleted member

I would love Pichu if his electric moves were overpowered in exchange for hurting himself. Just by polarizing some of his kit Pichu's detriments could transform into a gimmick or feature worthy of being advertised. Pichu has so much potential in regards to being a high risk/high reward fighter but in the end people just think of him as a joke because of how terrible he is in Melee. Also, tail spikes are always welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'd like to be added to the support list, please! I didn't know that there was still a Pichu support thread around here to begin with. Also, I'm sure everyone's aware that Pichu was added to SSF2?

I would love Pichu if his electric moves were overpowered in exchange for hurting himself. Just by polarizing some of his kit Pichu's detriments could transform into a gimmick or feature worthy of being advertised. Pichu has so much potential in regards to being a high risk/high reward fighter but in the end people just think of him as a joke because of how terrible he is in Melee. Also, tail spikes are always welcomed.
Well, it looks like Pichu's going to be more of a high risk=big reward character that he never was in Melee!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
If Pichu were to return, here's an idea to improve the self-damaging mechanic he has: with each use of his electrical attacks, he takes less recoil damage and the moves increase in strength, and it keeps going with each use until he no longer damages himself. This could give Pichu players this sort of feeling that he's learning from experience how to control his energies and develop skill. I'm probably just missing the point of Pichu as a character with this, but I thought this idea could be worth a shot to share.

Last edited:

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
Add me to the list too, I would love for Pichu to return, I played him most the time back in Melee.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Here's an idea:

Since Pichu's whole deal is about being harmed by static, what if he didn't take damage from his aerial electric attacks right away? What if he instead built up charges that hurt him upon landing? You know, when he's "grounded". What if that burst didn't just hurt him? What if it instead hit everyone within a Pichu-wide blast radius around him for the same damage he took?

Would that make him more usable without cutting his unique gimmick?

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
I think it makes more sense if he only took damage from aerial attacks because he can't conduct the electricity into the ground then. But that would be a serious option they could consider.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I used to play Pichu quite a bit back in Melee, so I wouldn't say no to him coming back even as DLC. Goggles Pichu was so cute!

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Luigify him! There are plenty of things with electrical powers to doo! Also, can we have Spiky eared Pichu as an alt?

PF9

Smash Lord
I would have loved an event in SSBM where you play as Yoshi and teamed up with Pichu (because we all know how good Yoshi is with babies)

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Pichu should definitely come back. He's unique enough with moves that damage himself, but at the same time, he wouldn't be that difficult or time-consuming a character for the development team to implement, I would imagine.

PF9

Smash Lord
OK, Pichu is one of two characters that has not received a Final Smash yet. Of course Young Link would probably get Triforce Slash at this point in time.

What can Pichu get as a Final Smash that can be distinct from Pikachu?

I had an idea. Something called "Cute Charm". Pichu turns the cuteness up to 11, dealing damage to all opponents in range and making them dizzy.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
OK, Pichu is one of two characters that has not received a Final Smash yet. Of course Young Link would probably get Triforce Slash at this point in time.

I had an idea. Something called "Cute Charm". Pichu turns the cuteness up to 11, dealing damage to all opponents in range and making them dizzy.
Ukulele Pichu from Ranger 3! It suits perfectly and was also the biggest role Pichu ever had in the Pokemon video game series. But I dunno if it should be more like DK's Final Smash or like the Peach one since both make sense.

OctolingRift

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 6926-2598-6285

Why wouldn't he get Fierce Deity Link?

Top Bottom