• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Caught in a bad romance...

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
It's called walking. You guys should do it WAY more than anything short of jab1.

Okay, so Luigi ---->:luigi2: sucks. We've grasped this and probably understand it moreso than most people. The one thing that makes him suck is his lack of speed. Which necessarily doesn't make a character bad, but when you're slow on both ground and in the air it's kinda hard to do anything i.e Luigi. Like, he can't aerially approach anymore because that version of Luigi is obsolete. People don't fear it, they just acknowledge it and walk a few steps away and reset the situation. If you run, well you've gotta start running which takes Luigi a second or two (or something to that effect) because he's a greasy Italian and dude could skate on concrete. He has to get up to speed and then he has to stop to do something. Which means he has to slide and while he's sliding, he's completely unable to do anything. So, you could jump but seeing as how you were just running and it's Luigi, your opponent has already prepared themselves to deal with you. So basically, you just gave yourself away. Now if you shield, he kinda slides in his shield and unless you were planning on doing something gimmicky out of shield, it's probably not good for spacing. ANYRATE, point is...Luigi is bad at running and just getting around efficiently in general.

Now even I have problems mastering this AT, despite advocating the whole thing. Mainly, because it's so situational but at the same time it isn't. Alot of Luigi's MUs could be slightly adjusted from "Oh my god this is impossible!" to "Okay, so it's a bit of a challenege." if you would just walk instead of running. It's alot less work lost if you walk > shield and get hit. Chances are, you're not stressing about what your options are as you're WALKING, because you have an ARSENAL to use against your opponent out of a walk.

Running eliminates like 95% of those options. To reiterate,

Reiterating:
-Luigi has a slow start-up
-Luigi has a slow run
-Luigi's only real options out of run are rendered useless because of A. His long *** sliding animation and B. Because he's just ****ing slow.

If you walk, you get run options + like every other option you have from a NEUTRAL position. Nifty huh? :awesome:

Options out of a walk:
Shield- Yes, you get to DEFEND yourself! Like 1,000 frames in advance too! Which means you can spotdodge and roll and all that jazz.

Smashes- Yup, those too. The only smash you get out of a run is Usmash. While being OMGOSH! good, it's really situational.

Specials- Just as useful as your smashes. Well, save for SideB...

Grab- Walking and getting a grab has never felt so good. You can grab and not get that stupid "Doh! I almost had you!" arm flail that Luigi does.

Jump- Admittedly, I know this sounds silly because Luigi's airspeed is :joyful:. It's still an option and Luigi excels in the air so yeah. Take it.

Tilts- Mhmm, these too. Granted, the only real practical ones are Utilt and Ftilt. Unless you're Boss and you condition people with Dtilt. lol

~Last but not least...

JAB- Luigi's best ****ing option in terms of practicality. Like, jab is ****ing godlike. You knew this already.

JAB 1

Total: 15
Hit: 2-3
IASA: N/A
Window of the 2nd punch: ?-29
2nd punch starts: 7 (or later)

Hitlag: 6
Shield Stun: 2
Advantage: -11
Advantage w/ 2nd Punch: -4

^That ****. I don't know if it's still like correct since it's like 3 years old.

Anywaaaaaaaays...

You can jab out of a walk. Your most useful option is available out of a walk. It's so damn good. Like you can walk > jab and stuff attacks or walk > jab and clash with other jabs and if you mash jab, you'll probably beat theirs out and you get a free combo that does like 10% which adds up. Because...you're gonna be jabbing...
alot.

So yeah, that's my 2 Abrahams. I know those of you who are reading this are probably like "Why is a Sonic main telling US this?" Well, I play Luigi for fun and he's one of my favorite characters and while I probably don't have the skill to take Luigi anywhere, I do learn things with him. So I figured I could share my knowledge (what little bit I have anyway) with some Luigi mains and see if it works or if I'm just talking out of my ***.
asjdhdjflfjdk
Which I'm not.

The Nutz of Norcal Deez

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to add on this since it sparked a remembrance of some stuff I self-taught while playing Luigi.

Now I wouldn't say that the aerial Sqweegee is "Obsolete", merely not the one playstyle you want to stick to. For racking damage I would consider the Jumpman style as so dubbed by the Mario boards: constantly in the air, racking up the damage quickly and knowing when to back out and reset after a good 20%-30% damage was dished out. Since alot of the cast can be K.O.'d at early percents, you then switch the pace to the walking style that you talk about to sort of get into their heads now that they are in kill range. Jab > walk away > Jab again seriously gets ppl alot of the time. Start conditioning your opponent to think that after a jab you'll just grab or D-smash. If you see the Up-B, go for it. If not, the eventual wear n tear on the opponent's mind and character's % will get that stock down. Start back to square one and repeat 2 more times XD

I'm bad at write-ups, sorry. But I guess you get what I mean.

Gamegyde

Smash Rookie
Luigi is still one of my favourite characters in the game. I find myself always coming back to him.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
magus does this. I believe there is a video in the Luigi mu thread on zelda where Magus ONLY walks.

DE_Desti

Smash Journeyman
Well I do this most of time. but few times running can help, for example Reverse Usmash (like hehe)
or instant jump dodge. But i walk alot in my matches. it's funny xD

BSP

Smash Legend
Good writeup yo

Yeah, walk if you can, only dash when necessary. Dashing limits us by a significant margin.
Mixup the jab game, and those 10%'s do add up like you said.

steep

Smash Lord
Just something interesting that you might consider adding - Grounded b-reverse fireball will keep you from sliding after a run. Just an interesting mind game to consider.

Top Bottom