• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simon Belmont CONFIRMED PLAYABLE for Super Smash Bros Ultimate! Simon Belmont-exclusive Social Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just remembered that Simon Belmont could squat walk in Super Castlevania IV. That could be his crawl animation in Smash.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I just remembered that Simon Belmont could squat walk in Super Castlevania IV. That could be his crawl animation in Smash.
Don't you mean the Duck Walk?

Nah, SCIV Simon's got more moves than CDi Link. :troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh, hey! Finally a second page! Wish I could say the same for Meowth... :(

So... when Simon is squatting, he could still whip just like in the games.

Oh, and if you hold the A button down, Simon holds out the limp whip, and if you move the control stick, Simon flails his whip around like in the SNES game. That reminds me of Sheik's old Side+B move in Melee.

But I was thinking about how Simon's aerials might do?

Nair
Bair
Fair
Dair - whips down like in SCV4
Uair - whips up like in SCV4

I'm trying to decide which would feel more natural... whipping forward with Nair or Fair.

I think maybe Fair would be more natural... but then what would Nair do? Could Simon spin the whip around like Nathan does in Circle of the Moon?

And what would Bair do?

D

Deleted member

So Konami just announced another Castlevania pachinko machine, this time based on the first Lords of Shadow game.

*Sigh*

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Whilst this news is not relating to Super Smash Bros., it's related to Simon Belmont and... Bomberman?!

"Belmont Bomber" (obviously based on Simon Belmont) will be free DLC for Super Bomberman R.

It's official too, see?

D

Deleted member

Whilst this news is not relating to Super Smash Bros., it's related to Simon Belmont and... Bomberman?!

"Belmont Bomber" (obviously based on Simon Belmont) will be free DLC for Super Bomberman R.

It's official too, see?

I was considering posting this here earlier, but I would've double posted if I did. I like how it's faithful to the original design without clashing with SBR's cartoonish art style.

Zem-raj Zem-raj You want me to add you to the support list?

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I was considering posting this here earlier, but I would've double posted if I did. I like how it's faithful to the original design without clashing with SBR's cartoonish art style.

Zem-raj Zem-raj You want me to add you to the support list?
Hm...

I'm a bit indifferent to Simon Belmont in Super Smash Bros., but I wouldn't say no to his inclusion.

Sure, why not.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So Konami just announced another Castlevania pachinko machine, this time based on the first Lords of Shadow game.

*Sigh*
I know the Lords of Shadow games were polarized, but I really loved the first one (second one was okay, but a bit more a miss for me in comparison), so that's just depressing for me. I thought I'd be over the pachinko crap, but it still hurts at times apparently.

D

Deleted member

I know the Lords of Shadow games were polarized, but I really loved the first one (second one was okay, but a bit more a miss for me in comparison), so that's just depressing for me. I thought I'd be over the pachinko crap, but it still hurts at times apparently.
I'm on the boat of people that enjoyed the first Lords of Shadow myself. It bore little resemblance to any of the previous games, but for what it was, it was underrated. Still haven't played LoS2 aside from the demo, though.

By the way, do you want me to add you to the support list?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Sure. Simon's kinda always been my most wanted possible 3rd party.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
It would be nice to have Simon Belmont. I'd like to see it happen. i only played the demo for lords of shadow and found it somewhat fun. Not into metroidvaniws unless they are subtle (e.g steamworld dig, shantae) and not the main focus of game play tho a 3D castlevania I would be very interested in.

He looks cute as a bomberman :3
(you can put me on the list)

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Holy ****, he doesn't look half bad as a bomber.

Then there's Pyramid Head....

That said, glad they show that they still care about Castlevania. If only we can get a new game.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Belmont Bomber looks so darn adorable. I wouldn't mind another cartoony spin-off like Kid Dracula using his Bomberman design. I just want something new for Castlevania that isn't a pachinko machine.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Belmont Bomber looks so darn adorable. I wouldn't mind another cartoony spin-off like Kid Dracula using his Bomberman design. I just want something new for Castlevania that isn't a pachinko machine.
I wouldn't mind a new Kid Dracula. The games were damn fun and I loved playing as him in Parodious.

Zombie Micheal Jackson boss fight anyone?

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Welp. Now I have to get Super Bomberman R for Belmont Bomber.

Notice that Belmont Bomber is based on the NES design, not the new one from Chronicles, and that they chose Simon Belmont to represent Castlevania in Super Bomberman R.

Simon Belmont has always been the logical choice to represent Castlevania.

Snake, Bomberman, and Simon Belmont for Smash!

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The fact that Simon got a costume in Bomberman is amazing. Now I just gotta wait for mu Snake costume.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Well he's not my first pick for a Konami rep. I'd rather have Bomberman, Snake, Goemon(!) or Sparkster(!!!). But I wouldn't be opposed to him if he got in.

Last edited:

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
I'd be so hyped if Simon Belmont ever gets in a Smash game as he's my 3rd most wanted newcomer; especially if they give him the Classic treatment for his design, animations, and moveset.

Not only that, but it would be a HUGE + as we would finally get that Captain N Reunion with Pit, Mega Man, and Simon Belmont.

The classic vampire hunter from Konami definitely deserves to be in Smash some day in the future and has my full support!

Oh, hey! Finally a second page! Wish I could say the same for Meowth... :(

So... when Simon is squatting, he could still whip just like in the games.

Oh, and if you hold the A button down, Simon holds out the limp whip, and if you move the control stick, Simon flails his whip around like in the SNES game. That reminds me of Sheik's old Side+B move in Melee.

But I was thinking about how Simon's aerials might do?

Nair
Bair
Fair
Dair - whips down like in SCV4
Uair - whips up like in SCV4

I'm trying to decide which would feel more natural... whipping forward with Nair or Fair.

I think maybe Fair would be more natural... but then what would Nair do? Could Simon spin the whip around like Nathan does in Circle of the Moon?

And what would Bair do?
Since Simon can use his whip in 8 different directions in SCV4, I was thinking that his fair could have him swing his whip diagonally downwards while his bair has him swinging his whip diagonally upwards.

I also think it would be a nice touch too if he had commitment jumps to mimic his jump in Castlevania 1-3. That way, you could have his nair swing straight forward without loosing your aerial momentum and you'd be able to swing your whip in 8 directions in the air just like you can in SCV4.

PsychoJosh

After that they could make an event match with Captain Falcon (wearing an N-themed color scheme), Simon, Pit and Megaman, where the other fighters are down and Falcon has to save them from the Mother Brain assist trophy...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I also think it would be a nice touch too if he had commitment jumps to mimic his jump in Castlevania 1-3. That way, you could have his nair swing straight forward without loosing your aerial momentum and you'd be able to swing your whip in 8 directions in the air just like you can in SCV4.
Ooh, I thought about that. It could make it difficult for Simon to battle in the air... kinda like Little Mac, I guess? But the long range of the whip could compensate the difficultly of midair battles... maybe the whip could have a tipper like Marth's sword?!

And what about double jumps? Does he still jump in the same direction or can he change directions?

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Ooh, I thought about that. It could make it difficult for Simon to battle in the air... kinda like Little Mac, I guess? But the long range of the whip could compensate the difficultly of midair battles... maybe the whip could have a tipper like Marth's sword?!

And what about double jumps? Does he still jump in the same direction or can he change directions?
I think it's best if he can still at least change directions. There has to be a compromise between making him feel true to the games and making him actually work as a fighter. That aside I do like the idea of him being a fast-faller that needs to commit to where he jumps. Not something I've seen brought up before.

As for the tipper, I don't really think that'd be necessary. The whip would give him more range than any other character in the game, and I'd imagine he'd at least have decent damage output to compensate for his slow speed and tricky mobility.

D

Deleted member

Seeing how i used to be the owner of the Simon thread in Zebei's Social (and the second owner of the Simon thread in the original Smash 4 character discussion threads) it would be bonkers for me to not show some of my support for the original whip weilding belmont.

So you can count me in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I keep thinking about how Simon Belmont's moveset might be like if he gets in Smash... I am pretty sure that Sakurai can do him justice like he did with Mega Man and other third party characters. I know Simon would be so amazing in Smash.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
For his trailer, it could have Simon's theme from SCV4; preferably if it has the original, but a remix done right would work just as well.

It would start out with a scene of Pit and Mega Man trying to take out a villain (possibly someone like Ridley). As they're about to get in to a troubling situation, the music starts to kick in while showing a glimpse of Simon's leg.

From beginning to 0:15, we get a build up as it shows more and more of him until at 0:16. From then until 0:48, we see him and his tagline "Simon Belmont whips it good!" (or something like that idk). We get a moment of the Captain N crew and they all do a taunt following up with demonstrations of Simon using his normals, taunts, and animations.

For 0:50-0:58, we see Simon using his special moves like the cross boomerang, axe, recovery move, holy water with the finale ending with Simon Belmont using his final smash with Grand Cross that'll summon a pillar of light beside him while crosses spiral up the column; dealing massive damage before ending off with an explosion to finish off a trailer filled with hype and 100% bad***!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mythzotick Mythzotick Replace Ridley with Mother Brain in your trailer idea and it's perfect. :awesome:

It also would be amazing if that trailer showed King Hippo and Eggplant Wizard. I hoped they would show up in SSB4 as Assist Trophies.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I did you up some alternate color schemes for the guy (using his classic look.)

http://alanbates.deviantart.com/art/Simon-Belmont-Colors-520096896

I'd love to see Simon get into the game myself. There was a time when he was almost as big a Nintendo Icon as Link and Mario. (Yes, I know he was Nintendo. Back then nobody cared.)

Also, to steal a bit from another Belmont, I think one of his taunts need to be him pointing dramatically and going "Die Monster!" We could also use "Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!" on the victory screen.

For another victory screen or possibly taunt, he should pull out a big turkey leg and take a large bite out of it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'd love to see Simon get into the game myself. There was a time when he was almost as big a Nintendo Icon as Link and Mario. (Yes, I know he was Nintendo. Back then nobody cared.)
Exactly. Back in the NES and SNES days, nobody cared about whether a character is Konami, Capcom, or Namco... as far as we, or at least myself, were concerned... they were all Nintendo characters (or Sega characters during the SNES vs. Genesis days)

I know Simon Belmont is legally a Konami character... but to me he's spiritually a Nintendo character. I feel he belongs in Super Smash Bros. with the other honorary Nintendo characters like :4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu:.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Exactly. Back in the NES and SNES days, nobody cared about whether a character is Konami, Capcom, or Namco... as far as we, or at least myself, were concerned... they were all Nintendo characters (or Sega characters during the SNES vs. Genesis days)

I know Simon Belmont is legally a Konami character... but to me he's spiritually a Nintendo character. I feel he belongs in Super Smash Bros. with the other honorary Nintendo characters like :4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu:.
I understand the sentiment, but whether the fans see certain characters as Nintendo or not still doesn't do anything for the actual issues that come with getting permission to use said characters. I feel the same way about Simon as well as Bomberman and Ryu Hayabusa, but they've still got hurdles to go through like any third party.

That said, people that enjoy these characters still don't care and will support them regardless, but there's nothing wrong with keeping expectations in check. Being realistic doesn't necessarily equate to people suddenly "caring" more that they're third party and seeing them as lesser.

Though there are people that do care when it comes to this, for varying reasons, be it a dislike of "x" character, or just a concern with whether there'll be too many third parties vs new Nintendo characters added. I don't think we've reached that point on the latter, but I do see it as a genuine concern. As for the former, everyone's got their opinion which is also fine just so long as they're civil about it.

Oddball

Smash Lord
If Simon does make it in, I'd also like to see an assist trophy for Dracula where he randomly teleports around the stage, stopping only to open his cape and shoot three fireballs out in a spread pattern.

Wolley2xjd

I sure hope you guys can see this because I can and i'm hyped for it!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

I sure hope you guys can see this because I can and i'm hyped for it!
I'm excited, this looks rather faithful.

And to believe I feared it would be "edgy for the sake of it" just because of the director's statement on it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sign me up, full support. Castlevania was one of THE NES games, up there with Super Mario Bros, Metroid, Megaman, Legend of Zelda.. He's a great choice.
That's how I feel, too. Simon Belmont should be in Smash. He is spiritually a Nintendo character... more so than most Castlevania protagonists, IMO.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I really really hope the Castlevania Netflix series is good. It looks really close to the source material which is always good. We'll see, I'm really hoping if it is it'll spawn more TV series like this based on games.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
I really really hope the Castlevania Netflix series is good. It looks really close to the source material which is always good. We'll see, I'm really hoping if it is it'll spawn more TV series like this based on games.
I REEEEALLY hope Nintendo does something like this with their IPs. The Mario and Zelda cartoons are major disservices to those games' potential. The F-Zero and Kirby animes weren't bad, and the Pokemon anime has real good highs, but there is SO MUCH more Nintendo can do.

Imagine, like, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin mini series all leading into a SMASH BROS anime? Yes please!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
^ This. I know people have their nostalgia for Captain N and such, but it simply wasn't good. They can do better with shows/cartoons.

Anyway, the trailer is pretty dope and epic. July can't come fast enough.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
So, I made up my own moveset for Simon. Only specials, since for Aerials, Tilts and Smash Attacks I couldn't think of any more creative than ''Simon swings Vampire Killer'' or maybe ''Simon swings the Flame Whip''..

Special Gimmick: Hearts. There is a heart meter next to Simon's damage meter on the HUD. He starts with
1 heart, and he moves slow, with lots of lag on his specials (Except Vampire Killer). However, doing damage
gives him more hearts (70% chance of gaining one, 20% chance of getting two, 10% chance of getting three)
more hearts make him faster, and reduces lag on his specials. At 15 hearts, he upgrades to a whole new set
of specials! Taking damage has a 40% chance of making Simon lose a heart. He maxes out at 50 hearts,
at which point he's a super fast killing machine.

Neutral B: Vampire Killer- Simon whips the old classic. At higher hearts, this has longer range, and does
more damge,

-At 15 hearts, it becomes the Chain Whip, which does much more damge, has longer range and can Tether Grab.

Side B: Dagger-Simon throws a dagger forward. Higher hearts give it much longer range, more damage,
and gives Simon the ability to throw two by pressing rapidly.

-At 15 hearts, it becomes the Bommerang Cross, which goes way farther and comes back to Simon, letting
it damage twice in one shot.

Down B: Holy Water-Simon drops a thing of Holy Water on the ground. Higher hearts increase range and
lets Simon throw up to three if pressing rapidly.

-At 15 hearts, it becomes the Axe, which Simon throws in an arc. More hearts after this lets Simon rapid throw up
to 5 Axes.

Up B: Whip Swing-A ball comes out of thin air and Simon connects his Whip to it, and he swings before
jumping up towards the stage. Higher hearts give him a stronger swing and thus higher jump.

-Shares the Chain Whip at 15 hearts.

Final Smash: A Horrible Night- The infamous WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE textbox
appears, and all kinds of monsters show up attack the opponents. Simon temporalliry maxes out his heart
meter, and thus can join the monsters with really fast and strong attacks. After a minute, THE MORNING
SUN HAS VANQUISHED THE HORRIBLE NIGHT appears, the monsters dissappear and Simon's heart meter
goes back to the way it was.

Basically, his gimmick is that he starts off low-tier, but gets better the more he does damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom