• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion XL

G-Off

Smash Rookie
NNID
G-Off1
I just picked this game up today because I had some extra money on a Gamestop card and I love it. I'm having a lot of fun with Grim. Also is the sequel confirmed? I saw a list of the characters and it seems awesome!

fernyysanchez

Smash Rookie
Theres a side tourney for this game at genesis if anyone is interested. Its gonna be held in the furcon section

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
Wow. There are more fans of this game? I never even thought about the fact this game might have a competitive scene. This is so interesting...

genomedrunk

Smash Rookie
can someone upload a full match video or something? i can't find any online.

Last edited:

Milun

Smash Ace
Hello....ello......ello..... Anyone still playing this game....ame.....ame........ My friend and I found a cool bucket break strat with Mac and Blue that could make them viable in tournaments...

Envoy_

Smash Cadet
Found this thread after watching a review video by Rebel Taxi and thought, "I wonder if there was any competitive scene for this." Lo and behold lol.

Milun

Smash Ace
Found this thread after watching a review video by Rebel Taxi and thought, "I wonder if there was any competitive scene for this." Lo and behold lol.
Outside of myself and two others I know ironically treating this game seriously, I'm pretty sure the scene is dead and Aku killed it.

Envoy_

Smash Cadet
Outside of myself and two others I know ironically treating this game seriously, I'm pretty sure the scene is dead and Aku killed it.
That's unfortunate lol. It would have been cool to see tourneys of this. Obscure scenes like this one are always interesting to see.

Keo-bas

Smash Rookie
I have limited experince with the game But don't really like how throws work, if I understand it correctly.

This game seem to have weird pivot functing

Milun

Smash Ace
This is an average match of the game competitively (sorry for low quality):

Last edited:

Milun

Smash Ace
He wasn't even using the shield button wat.

And I would've used someone else besides big body vilgax of I were him.
To be fair, it's a really old match. Our meta has evolved since then to not allow Aku in it. He can win any match with just Neutral B and Up B.

Milun

Smash Ace
So is Aku banned in competitive play?
What competitive play? The largest amount of people I've ever been able to get to play this game is 3. We try not to use him because any other character has to work three times as hard just to beat him.

Jetmann

Smash Apprentice
I just remember being immensely disappointed that this game wasn't a flashy Marvel vs. Capcom kind of fighter with a Fusionfall art style.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I just picked this game up today because I had some extra money on a Gamestop card and I love it. I'm having a lot of fun with Grim. Also is the sequel confirmed? I saw a list of the characters and it seems awesome!
Sequel confirmed? I should look more into this...

Also I'm having quite a bit of fun with this game, actually, just picked it up today on the PS store for frackin 99 cents after wanting to play it for so long.

One question, how kill with bubbles? :( I love her lasers and aerials but she doesn't really kill all that well (and her scream, while cute, is slow and doesn't really do anything but some damage, not even knockback)

Milun

Smash Ace
Sequel confirmed? I should look more into this...

Also I'm having quite a bit of fun with this game, actually, just picked it up today on the PS store for frackin 99 cents after wanting to play it for so long.

One question, how kill with bubbles? :( I love her lasers and aerials but she doesn't really kill all that well (and her scream, while cute, is slow and doesn't really do anything but some damage, not even knockback)
Bubble's unique strength is her noise. For whatever reason, her scream and her lasers are way louder than the rest of the game. Spam this until your opponent concedes (I have actually accomplished that multiple times).

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Bubble's unique strength is her noise. For whatever reason, her scream and her lasers are way louder than the rest of the game. Spam this until your opponent concedes (I have actually accomplished that multiple times).
....I guess that's one way to do it :p

I just decided to use blossom cuz upthrow to the thunder is amazing and...actually kinda unfair xD

Milun

Smash Ace
....I guess that's one way to do it :p

I just decided to use blossom cuz upthrow to the thunder is amazing and...actually kinda unfair xD
"Up-throw". This game has up-throws? All I've ever seen the characters do is freeze while holding them, then a second later they fly off diagonally.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
"Up-throw". This game has up-throws? All I've ever seen the characters do is freeze while holding them, then a second later they fly off diagonally.
I've seen forward throws, or when they don't do anything and they fly off diagonally, but if you grab and throw up, the characters fly straight up :3 at low %s it's good for combos

Last edited:

Milun

Smash Ace
I've seen forward throws, or when they don't do anything and they fly off diagonally, but if you grab and throw up, the characters fly straight up :3 at low %s it's good for combos
Hah. How 'bout that. The rest of the game was so shoddy we never even considered the possibility that that was programmed in.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
xD It's kinda funny tho how at low %s it has such little kb you can do like upthrow uptilt, but even at like 60-70%+, they go flyying

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
What competitive play? The largest amount of people I've ever been able to get to play this game is 3. We try not to use him because any other character has to work three times as hard just to beat him.
So I guess it's something like

Stupid Tier
Aku

Top Tier
Blossom
Grim
Vilgax
Him
Bubbles

Then the rest.

xD It's kinda funny tho how at low %s it has such little kb you can do like upthrow uptilt, but even at like 60-70%+, they go flyying
yeah the game does have messy stuff like that. CPU characters for example don't actually have their AI scaled up with increased difficulty, just the knockback they do instead.

Last edited:

Milun

Smash Ace
So I guess it's something like

Stupid Tier
Aku

Top Tier
Blossom
Grim
Vilgax
Him
Bubbles

Then the rest.

yeah the game does have messy stuff like that. CPU characters for example don't actually have their AI scaled up with increased difficulty, just the knockback they do instead.
I think the way the game does knockback is even more fascinating than that. I think the game literally won't let certain moves kill unless you're at a certain percent (regardless of location on screen at the time of being hit). We've gotten up to 300% before with most non-kill moves just refusing to kill under any circumstance.

Also, after some research, we (Australian scene) must report the tier list is going through updates. It was discovered that Monkey has a 0 - 200% combo if you just keep short hop neutral airing (few charactes have moves fast enough to escape this). Unfortunately for Monkey, he still has no kill moves. Research is currently underway.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I think the way the game does knockback is even more fascinating than that. I think the game literally won't let certain moves kill unless you're at a certain percent (regardless of location on screen at the time of being hit). We've gotten up to 300% before with most non-kill moves just refusing to kill under any circumstance.

Also, after some research, we (Australian scene) must report the tier list is going through updates. It was discovered that Monkey has a 0 - 200% combo if you just keep short hop neutral airing (few charactes have moves fast enough to escape this). Unfortunately for Monkey, he still has no kill moves. Research is currently underway.
Damn, 0-200% then just run away the entire match maybe? XD

Milun

Smash Ace
Damn, 0-200% then just run away the entire match maybe? XD
To what end? Game has no timer. Aaaaaaaaaaay. It's ok, his Down-B kills at around 300%, which for Monkey isn't such a hard % to reach. Also, of all the characters who can get out of this combo, the one who does it the most consistently and safely is... Aku of course! Turns out invincibility starts frame 1 on his Up-B.

Last edited:

ExtraLarge

Smash Rookie
I actually own this game and really really really want to make a semi-realistic competitive scene here with anybody who's still here and/or intrigued.

Anybody interested?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Sounds like a funny idea lol. X)

Will keep eyes on this to see developments :p

Royal Cool

Smash Rookie
I actually just ran an tournament of this at my Melee weekly yesterday. I was debating starting a new thread, but I see this one is still active. We ran an 8 man bracket, and the VODs should be up in a few days. It was crazy fun all around. I top player is a sick Dexter main

Top Bottom