• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Carter and Mikey Present: Nana and the Footstool of DOOM, Feb 21, Misissauga, ON

Mikey7

Smash Lord
Everybody make sure to thank Carter when you get to the venue! Also thank Sanuzi for advertising and generally helping out with the tourney, and I'd like to thank Grmo for cutting down my OP work : P

For those who don't understand the title, please play Ambrose, that is all.

Staff:
Mikey
Gi (not G.I. its pronounced gee)
KingAce
Notice that Carter is NOT staff, don't go to him with your problems - hes there to relax and play some Smash.

Fees: $15 singles, $20 teams (Standard fees)

Location and Time
6655 Glen Erin Drive, Mississauga, ON, L5N 3L4 Meadowvale Recreation Centre
Saturday, February 21st, 2009, 11:00 AM - 11:00 PM
Specifically, the venue is downstairs. Make a note of this
Maps are on page 9, if you need them

Schedule (pending)

11:00 - 12:00 Setups, Friendlies

12-12:30 Signups

12:45 - 4:00 Singles pools (2 stocks, 5 minutes) - Grab food after your pool is done. There will be 0 friendlies at this point, sorry. (low tier event if pools finish early - they most likely will, also low tier event from)

4:30 - 7:00 - Singles Bracket (low tier event as the singles bracket is winding down, and as the staff are making the teams bracket)

7:30 - 10 - Teams Bracket (low tier event until 10:45)

Note: if anything finishes ahead of schedule, I will IMMEDIATELY begin the next event, and I'm actually hoping for this to happen.

SBR Certified (for the most part)

General rules:

3 Stock

8 minute timer

Items are set to "off" and "none"

All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above is recommended for any "finals" matches)

In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Gentlemen's rule on infinite, standing chain grabs. E.g. Marth on Ness/Lucas and Dedede on Samus, Mario, etc.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stage Lists

TOs must move stages from the starter/counterpick into either the starter or counterpick categories and must move stages from counterpick/banned into either the counterpick or banned categories.

Stages in the Starter/Counter and Counter/Banned list did not receive 2/3 majority, and therefore you are given the option to put those stages in either category, as we did not come to a consensus on it.

The SBR Recommended rule list uses the stage striking system. In this system, players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counterpicked later in the set. There must be an odd number of starter stages.

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counter
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Pictochat (just for Percon : P)
Rainbow Cruise

Banned
Corneria
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pirate Ship
Pokemon Stadium 2
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Green Greens
Mario Circuit
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware

Additional Rules for Double's Play

Life Stealing is allowed

Set team attack to ON

Optional Rules

Some rules were discussed in the SBR but were not deemed to be important enough to consider staples to a rule set, or were considered to be too intrusive to be common. We recommended you include any of the following optional rules you deem to be necessary and modify them as needed.

Port slob picks: On a player's counterpick, that player may opt to redo the port selection process with that player or team picking their port first.

Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock, and then percents. If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock overttime or the sudden death will be played out. The TO needs to decide which of these will be used before the tournament. Bowser's suicide klaw is exempt from this rule.

Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.

Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should know to take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental intereference and delay for tournament matches.

Pirated copies of Brawl or modded Wii consoles will not be used for tournament matches.

The Mages DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is two minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After six minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set.

It is recommended to have a station set up specifically for Gamecube controllers; this prevents intereference from wiimotes in future matches, whether intentional or accidental. This is a great way to make sure the finals go smoothly. Alternatively, you could make a station for wiimotes only, but it is recommended to have a GC only station.

Additional rules
- BYOC
- Please shower before you come here...or bring spray for yourself or something...don't smell lol
- No illegal substances
-THERE IS A 0 TOLERANCE POLICY FOR ALCOHOL IN EFFECT. IF YOU SMELL LIKE ALCOHOL, PLAN ON CONSUMING ALCOHOL, OR BRINGING IT TO THE TOURNAMENT, YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ENTER AND WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE IMMEDIATELY

Carter: **And i need a couple LOW TIER volunteers.**
Basically, we'll be having a raffle. A low tier player on a neutral stage of his/her choice vs any character of your choice! It will be $1 for each game, and each victory earns you a raffle ticket. There will be one tv dedicated to this raffle, which any challenges can be played on. There will be a couple (undecided) prizes.

Volunteers:
Zeph - PT
Percon - PT or Falcon
Pastaboy - Ness
Mikey - Ike (as backup)

We need at least 5 good low tier players so that noone gets too sidetracked. If youd like to one of these people, just volunteer. As a reward, ill buy yall lunch or something. =)
The times for the low tier event will pretty much be either directly after singles pools while the staff sets up the brackets.

Attendees (49)
Mikey
Carter
Anthony
ROCKER09
5ive
Painted Ghost
F1ZZ
F1ZZ's brother
Raidos
Niko
Percon
Pyrnight or Pastaboy
Lawlb0t
Hyo
JustinWong (lol)
Nickcam
KingAce
Zeph
Tipz
Dimmy
abcduy
Dimmy's friend 2
Dimmy's friend 3
Gi
TheDUD
JustNoOne
Yuuki
PoisonMist
lkp4
kuenzel
Izzo
Justin
Dan
Hype
Fool
Friend 1
Friend 2
ZedF
xX-Leaf-Xx
xX-Leaf-Xx's cousin
JL
Ally
Holy
SRTM
PHO
Ambrose
wtBug <-- 1st place, clearly
FatherOwnage
Wolfblade?!?!?! Loves Jungle Japes
MarikYoshi

Setups
TVs:
mikey x1
5ive x2
niagara car x3
carter x4
ambrose x1

Wii + brawl
nickcam x1
niagara car x3
carter x1
kuenzel x1
ambrose x1
SRTM x1

Powerbars and Extension Cords
nickcam x2
carter x 4
mikey x a bunch I guess

Dimmy

Smash Journeyman
me and my buddies are prolly down for this lemme go talk to them do you have the location of the venue?

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
Meadowvale Rec Centre I think. Please post the number of people coming/names or whatever and number of setups, thanks.
Because of the layout of roads in the area, it's more like an hour walk, unless you want to trek through the fields of snow and nothingness that make Mississauga so amazing, but that's actually irrelevant so nvm. anyway it's really good to see people taking initiative. Perseverance ftw. I should have done this in the first place *hits head against wall repeatedly*. I unfortunately can't be of any use here, but I will fetch the rules list and offer any support/advice that I can about running the tournament. First off, here's a link to the tio thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163236.

I would seriously advise using this. More than that, you may want to consider altering the rules list based on the GTA Brawl community's preferences, since I know people here tend to have a few and it's nice to have things sort of personalized so it fits the players best. Beyond that, all I can do is wish you luck, and apologize again for being a complete and utter ******, andstuff my face with bagels. Anyway, here it is: since you can't quote the original post, I added all the colour and stuffs that the original post had. this way you can just quote it and copy-pasta it into the OP.
I find it funny that Overswarm has 9,002 posts, considering the original tournament name was starfurry 9002.
Obviously I don't know enough about the stages, so you'll have to decide what's banned and counter/etc for yourselves.

=====================================================

Where: (?)6655 Glen Erin Drive, Mississauga, ON, L5N 3L4 (needs confirmation, but I think this is the address)
When: Saturday, February 21st, 2009, 1:00 PM - 12:00 AM
Who: Meadowvale Brawl people :D
Why: Because Grmo's a ******
Well: yeah. lol. That's enough of this. here's the stuff:

SBR Certified

General rules:

• 3 Stock
  • 8 minute timer
  • Items are set to "off" and "none"
  • All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above is recommended for any "finals" matches)
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
  • No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
  • In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
  • If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
  • Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
  • If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
  • You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stage Lists

TOs must move stages from the starter/counterpick into either the starter or counterpick categories and must move stages from counterpick/banned into either the counterpick or banned categories.

Stages in the Starter/Counter and Counter/Banned list did not receive 2/3 majority, and therefore you are given the option to put those stages in either category, as we did not come to a consensus on it.

The SBR Recommended rule list uses the stage striking system. In this system, players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counterpicked later in the set. There must be an odd number of starter stages.

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Starter/Counter
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1

Counter
Brinstar
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)

Counter/Banned
Green Greens
Mario Circuit
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld

Banned
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware

Additional Rules for Double's Play

• Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON
  • Hanenbow may be moved from Ban to Counterpick for Doubles

Optional Rules

Some rules were discussed in the SBR but were not deemed to be important enough to consider staples to a rule set, or were considered to be too intrusive to be common. We recommended you include any of the following optional rules you deem to be necessary and modify them as needed.

• Port slob picks: On a player's counterpick, that player may opt to redo the port selection process with that player or team picking their port first.
  • Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock, and then percents. If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock overttime or the sudden death will be played out. The TO needs to decide which of these will be used before the tournament. Bowser's suicide klaw is exempt from this rule.
  • Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.
  • Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should know to take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental intereference and delay for tournament matches.
  • Pirated copies of Brawl or modded Wii consoles will not be used for tournament matches.
  • The Mages DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is two minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After six minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set.
  • It is recommended to have a station set up specifically for Gamecube controllers; this prevents intereference from wiimotes in future matches, whether intentional or accidental. This is a great way to make sure the finals go smoothly. Alternatively, you could make a station for wiimotes only, but it is recommended to have a GC only station.

======================================================

I hope this is some help. Again, if there's anything else I can do, I would be glad to help out. :)

EDIT: Is this the venue? http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4GGLL_enCA309CA309&q=6655%20Glen%20Erin%20Drive%2C%20Mississauga%2C%20ON%2C%20L5N%203L4&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

I added the address in the above section just in case it is, which I'm almost positive is right.

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
I think that these stages should be banned, personally:
Green Greens (even though nobody picks it anyway)
Mario Circuit
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld

Just because there's a lot of random stuff that happens that people shouldn't have to deal with. Aside from that I think it's probably fine.

Also, I lost a tournament set because of the claw on Halberd once, and it's probably happened to others as well. Mind, I play Kirby so I probably wasn't gonna win anyway XD. Just thought you might want to consider that.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
I pretty much took off everything I perceive to be as gay (mostly walls, or any stage where the stage kills you). The stage list is open to change if people request it.

Percon

Smash Lord
If I can still get a ride with Niagara people, I'll be there. This is a very high probability

PS You don't need to allow pictochat if you don't want to, but I so so so love that stage. <3 timer and safe zones.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
If I can still get a ride with Niagara people, I'll be there. This is a very high probability

PS You don't need to allow pictochat if you don't want to, but I so so so love that stage. <3 timer and safe zones.
If you guys could confirm a number that would be great.

And yes I took off Japes...don't know why that stage is legal.

Also who would be down for enforcing a no ledgecamping rule?

Sanu

Smash Champion
Ok, I sent a bunch of people messages about the tourney. If I missed anyone, send them this message:

" Hey there dude, I know you were burned from Wugwan Breda changing to Melee only, but it seems like the GTA Brawl community is stepping up to the plate in order to deliver a Brawl tournament the same day in a venue that is a 10 minute drive from the Wugwan Breda venue.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=221861

Just a heads up in case you were still interested ^^. Housing is still available available too, but I won't be able to drive you and whoever else to the tourney itself since I'll be going to Wugwan.

Please post in the thread to let them know of your support!"

The rest is up to you guys now, good luck!

5ive

Smash Champion
I will be coming, if this does take place.

I will be bringing 2 TV's plus a Laptop with a Recording Device.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Thx for that message Sanuzi. I guess Niagara is coming to this and we will visit Wugman, because we still want to play Melee. Carter = Top tier.

Raidos
Niko
Percon
Pyrnight or Pastaboy
Lawlb0t

nickcam

Smash Ace
im definitely coming to this if it does happen. Carter if u need any help running things i'll try and help as much as i can

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
I really don't know if I would like to walk 4.3 KM from Melee to Brawl... This is sooooooo hard to decide now >.>

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
^ Lol. Look At His Name, Lul (Justin Wong)
So is the walk 15 mins through the field? I wouldn't mind that x_x

Sanu

Smash Champion
Awesome! I'm glad that the ball is now rolling ^^

And lulz @ JustinWong XD

Percon

Smash Lord
I can bring my Wii + Brawl so long as you guys don't mind playing on a wii that sounds like it's dying.

MAYBE a TV if we have room on the way up.

Dimmy

Smash Journeyman
ok add me and my 3 friends as confirmed (Dimmy + abcduy + 2 friends) no setups sorry

5ive

Smash Champion
If you want my specific friends names, here they are.

Painted Ghost
F1ZZ
and
F1ZZ's brother.

Gichan

Smash Champion
Mikey, you should have added me by default, lololl. Dud and Gi please. I'll also help out with getting people to play their matches and other ****, set-ups, etc.

The_Fool

Smash Apprentice
Will go if I can get there, and I can probly get there.
Also probly several other friends.

Top Bottom