• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Carl Johnson from GTA for Smash Bros.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
CJ-GTASA.png

How about Carl Johnson for Smash?
Grand Theft Auto is one of the most popular, influential and best selling gaming franchises of all time, and San Andreas in particular is arguably the most bondly remembered entry in the series by many, with it's cast of characters, story, the open world of Los Santos, and of course it's main protagonist, CJ.
Since Snake and Joker use firearms, CJ using them wouldn't be that much of an issue.
He can use a large assortment of weaopns. Maybe he can spawn vehicles?

Here's an amazing article by Sari about CJ in Smash, if there's any other place you need to look for what CJ would bring in Smash, then this is the best place to look and read:

What do you think?

smash puffle (me)
Sari
TableCloth
Ridrool64
DanganZilla5
Janx_uwu
toonito
subterrestrial

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'd add more detail to your post (moveset, songs, etc) but in the meantime I will definitely support. San Andreas is one of my favorite games and although it would probably never happen, CJ in Smash would be a blast.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For his Final Smash he could use cheat codes to give himself the best weapons in the game and go to town on the foes.

TableCloth

Smash Cadet
Man in a perfect world this would happen.

Make him like Bowser Jr. with his alt costumes.

CJ
Tommy Vercetti
Claude
Chinatown Wars protag (dont know his name off the top of my head)
Niko
Michael
Trevor
Franklin

chemo

Smash Apprentice
Man in a perfect world this would happen.

Make him like Bowser Jr. with his alt costumes.

CJ
Tommy Vercetti
Claude
Chinatown Wars protag (dont know his name off the top of my head)
Niko
Michael
Trevor
Franklin
I think this would be the best way to add a playable GTA rep.

It would avoid the issue that some franchises in Smash suffer from where due characters changing or being added between each individual entry, representation would either feel outdated or bloated (such as with Fire Emblem and Pokemon), and I'd imagine that the movesets of these characters would be interchangeable anyway.

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I think this would be the best way to add a playable GTA rep.

It would avoid the issue that some franchises in Smash suffer from where due characters changing or being added between each individual entry, representation would either feel outdated or bloated (such as with Fire Emblem and Pokemon), and I'd imagine that the movesets of these characters would be interchangeable anyway.
The only issue with that would be getting all the voice actors for all those characters. Claude would be an exception to that I suppose.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Ah, Ganton, San Andreas. Home sweet home. (For this, I am only accounting for content from CJ's own game. The others could be repped too, but I made this moveset with San Andreas in mind.)

Gonna give this a revitalization by giving him a mini moveset! For now, no normals, just the five specials. Not sure what to do with the normals, honestly, but I think you could just have him fight like a normal guy. No ammo gimmick either, just pure, unadulterated mayhem. It'd be interesting if he had a gimmick where eating made him fatter, and he could work off the weight or get buff. But I think that'd be overly complicated. Plus, how would it work with food items turned off? His weight would be 100.
  • Neutral Special/Kirby's Copy Ability: Molotov Cocktail - Hold B to charge, release to throw. Charging doesn't effect damage output, it just affects range. The main effect of this one is that the flames last for a while, allowing CJ to corral his enemies to wherever he wants. Get hit with the cocktail itself, though, and it's gonna hurt.
  • Side Special: Spray Can - CJ releases a spray of green paint into his foes. It's somewhat similar to Piranha Plant's poison breath, except that it is drastically weaker... and also reduces the opponent's speed. If opponents are stuck in it for too long, they even get stunned! Dangerous in its own right,
  • Up Special: Jetpack Joyride - CJ gets on the Jetpack and flies away. It has outright INFINITE FLIGHT!... which would be much more broken if it weren't for a pair of major flaws. One, it's a pretty slow recovery. Two, it's hard to protect yourself as you have to rely on a single type of gun. You're pretty much immune to failing recovery, but in exchange, CJ is extremely weak to edgeguarding. It also has another use as being CJ allows for the player to take to the skies to reach high locations. It's not fast enough to be massively worrying at camping, though. You also can't use it on stage, so CJ has to jump first.
  • Down Special: Change Arms - Change the effect of CJ's neutral special. The default is the Molotov Cocktail, but it can be changed to a few other things. Kirby is stuck with the Molotov.
    • Chainsaw: You have to prime it first, but once primed, anybody who's too close to you is going to take loads and loads of damage. It's not actually good at finishing stocks, though, so use it mostly for racking up damage to get the Sawnoff or Rocket Launcher to finish the job.
    • 9mm: Every GTA player's bestest friend. You guys probably all know how this works, but for those who don't, the 9mm is your basic handheld pistol. Would be a bit like Joker, except CJ automatically targets the closest character, making it more convenient but less special to use.
    • Sawnoff Shotgun: A short ranged shotgun. Very powerful, and for Smash surprisingly quick to start up, but it has atrocious endlag and only two rounds before reloading, so you better make it count. Plus, the range is really bad, so it's a deadweight option at midrange or long ranges, making it squarely for punishes/reads/shield break. Speaking of, this is the chief option for shield breaking.
    • Rocket Launcher: The strongest, deadliest, but slowest and most predictable option in CJ's arsenal. This item needs no introduction. Press B to fire a rocket in the direction you're facing, and if anything gets hit, one Special Zoom later they're probably a distant memory. That being said, if you have the unfortunate luck of being against somebody with a reflector, this move is absolutely useless outside of shield breaks or hard reads. Oh, and don't fire when the enemy is too close. Otherwise, it will literally blow up in your face.
    • There could be more like the Flamethrower or other types of guns, but I feel like these 5 are the most compelling options (counting the Molotov Cocktail).
  • Final Smash: …hm… I like both the idea of a Hit and Run FS or a Six Star FS... but I don't know which one to pick from. I'll abstain for now. Return to it later.
Spirit List: I may have missed a few characters, but I think these are probably top dog amongst the cast of San Andreas.
  1. Carl Johnson - Fighter
  2. Sweet Johnson - Grab Primary (Ace)
  3. Ryder - Grab Support (Novice)
  4. Big Smoke - Neutral Primary (Ace)
  5. Officer Tenpenny - Neutral Support (Legend)
  6. The Truth - Defend Support (Novice)
  7. Cesar - Attack Primary (Advanced)
  8. Woozie - Defend Primary (Novice)
  9. Toreno - Neutral Support (Advanced)
Classic Mode: Grove Street 4 Lyfe - The theme is that you're allied with one green character (representing Grove Street Families), and your opponent is a character dressed in purple (repping the Ballas). All matches are at various points in the San Andreas stage.
  1. CJ & Yoshi vs. Captain Falcon
  2. CJ & Link of the Wild vs. Purple Ganondorf
  3. CJ & Green Fox vs. Wolf
  4. CJ & King K. Rool vs. Purple Donkey Kong
  5. CJ & Green Marth vs. Purple Roy
  6. CJ & Green Ken vs. Purple Ryu
  7. Bonus Game
  8. Boss Battle: Marx - Allied with Green Kirby
Besides his default, which is his default appearance of his model, his costumes would all be shades of green, but be different outfits from the game entirely, making them easy to distinguish while not having him in Ballas colors.

Stage: San Andreas - A fictional US State, and the setting of the game named after it. It also comes from the original GTA, as one of three selectable levels, and GTAV, where the state was reimagined. For Smash, the design is primarily based on San Andreas' incarnation from its self titled game. The stage is not a traveling stage, and takes place on the rooftops of buildings, but has a variety of settings based on the locales of the state that CJ travels to over the course of the game.

Dunno what to do for music, though. Aside from the San Andreas theme, and maybe the C.R.A.S.H theme, there's not really a lot of music from SA that isn't licensed.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I just did a big article on CJ which you can read here:

It includes a full moveset with a leveling up gimmick so enjoy!

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I just did a big article on CJ which you can read here:

It includes a full moveset with a leveling up gimmick so enjoy!
This is incredible. I wish my OP wasn't so short and rushed as it is... and even then I still don't know what to write.
Either way amazing job with this article!

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
a gta character would be sooo sick in smash. Ideally CJ but they could make it like hero with the skins. definitely support their inclusion just please let them drive a car on-stage nintendo

Top Bottom