• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

xPerplex

Smash Rookie
Marth noob here.. can someone answer a question about dtilit IASA for me? I frequently finding myself trying to wavedash after dtilt, but im always off on the timing and end up doing a roll on accident. Is dtilt interrubptable with jump? Or is it only IASA on other attacks and dash?

Life

Smash Hero
Marth noob here.. can someone answer a question about dtilit IASA for me? I frequently finding myself trying to wavedash after dtilt, but im always off on the timing and end up doing a roll on accident. Is dtilt interrubptable with jump? Or is it only IASA on other attacks and dash?
Jump out of dtilt works fine. Take five minutes and just dtilt and hold forward so you can see the timing by when you start walking.

Leeyam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeyamnz
Low %, only done it in marth dittos so far. Seems to connect well and lead to juggles easily but I never see high skilled people use it, so thought I'd find out why.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I used to do that all the time on more floaty character but then stopped because it is hard to hit confirm, may be good off a punish situation.

net1234

Smash Ace
i never see marths use dsmash as a tech chase even though it can cover 2 options is that because of a heavy punish if they pick the other option, marth can usually cover all 3 without the use of dsmash, or that dsmash does not have as good of follow ups as other tech chase options. or some combination of those

Bones0

Smash Legend
i never see marths use dsmash as a tech chase even though it can cover 2 options is that because of a heavy punish if they pick the other option, marth can usually cover all 3 without the use of dsmash, or that dsmash does not have as good of follow ups as other tech chase options. or some combination of those
It's pretty hard (often impossible) to cover all of the opponent's tech options with the tip of dsmash. You can space yourself to tip the front for instance, but if they tech roll behind you usually won't be spaced to hit them with the back tipper. Non-tip dsmash is pretty awful as far as punishes go, and like you said you can cover all of the options with other stuff anyway. Most importantly, even if you tip dsmash it only has good KO %s vs. floaties. Most tech scenarios occur at low percents on FFers, so there aren't many situations where you can tech chase with a move best used vs. floaties at high percents.

net1234

Smash Ace
It's pretty hard (often impossible) to cover all of the opponent's tech options with the tip of dsmash. You can space yourself to tip the front for instance, but if they tech roll behind you usually won't be spaced to hit them with the back tipper. Non-tip dsmash is pretty awful as far as punishes go, and like you said you can cover all of the options with other stuff anyway. Most importantly, even if you tip dsmash it only has good KO %s vs. floaties. Most tech scenarios occur at low percents on FFers, so there aren't many situations where you can tech chase with a move best used vs. floaties at high percents.
is there any good thread on dsmash usage in general? i feel like the move has potential in niche situations

AustinRC

Smash Lord
It's a high risk high reward situation. Pivoting can definitely help make it usable. I've been using it to get vertical kills on people in conjunction with pivoting lately. They expect a grab while I'm setting up spacing for a pivot and spot dodge, when they do I just dsmash them it comes out in like 4 frames I think. It's an alright set up however I've been killed for this set up a few times now so take that into consideration.

D

Deleted member

is there any good thread on dsmash usage in general? i feel like the move has potential in niche situations
youre right it does, but they come up so rarely that its probably just as well to use the less niche stuff as proxy. its okay to cut off depth for functionality.

kevin, your nairs, why

Bones0

Smash Legend
Yeah PP, where's the Marth that refuses to commit and instead does broken af DDing I've come to admire/be intimidated by? When you play Marth you should use the dashdance doctor tag: "DDMD".

D

Deleted member

someone made me watch that match

all of it

i lost my voice from yelling

townes

Smash Apprentice
I need advice for how to play marth in teams. I've watched a lot of pewfat and grabngo. All I've been able to figure out is
-I need an agro fox or falcon to make the team viable
-marth grab to fox usmash or knee
-and I need to hold onto my stocks for my buddy to use whilst continually going in
I don't want to go to the dark side and just resort to playing puff in teams, but no one has been able to give me any advice to work with. I'm gunna go watch more pewfat.

Life

Smash Hero
I need advice for how to play marth in teams. I've watched a lot of pewfat and grabngo. All I've been able to figure out is
-and I need to hold onto my stocks for my buddy to use whilst continually going in
I don't want to go to the dark side and just resort to playing puff in teams, but no one has been able to give me any advice to work with. I'm gunna go watch more pewfat.
It would help if you told us who you usually end up teaming with?

Bones0

Smash Legend
You're making some terrible assumptions. You should find a steady teammate (doesn't matter who they play), and just play a ton of teams matches, preferably vs. other teams in serious sets. Pay attention to what's getting you or your teammate killed and stop doing it. After a bunch of that, then you can start focusing on actually attacking the opposing team efficiently with your partner.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
So I have a tutorial coming along that I think everyone should enjoy! Just before hand where should I put it? Should I make another thread for it?

an odd sentiment. why do you think that?
As I have been playing melee over the last like 4 years I see the same players up at the top. The status quo has been that way for far too long in my opinion. There has been some turbulence in those rankings, but for the most part the 1st batch, 2nd batch, and 3rd batch of players has remained largely unchanged? I wonder to myself why is that that the case? Shouldn't that amount of time be enough for other people catch up and start to challenge those spots?
PPMD's Marth is the one who will pierce the heavens!
Then, I see stuff like this for the top players. Where is the confidence is saying "I want to beat you!" or "I am want to be the one to be the best melee player."

From the sparse interactions we have had you got my respect and thanks for all the time you have put in. Literally out of the top players you seem the most approachable (at least here) and willing to help others and want to improve yourself taking things to new heights. For all that, I say great job and keep at it. Plus, I am grateful for the help you gave me 1 on 1, and inspiration you have set for playing Marth. But, its not in me to give you all the praise and keep no confidence for myself. I want to be able to challenge yourself and the other spots myself someday.

Actually, no. Not someday else that eventually can become never. Lets see high I can get by the end of next summer. But, first those small steps. There are people better than me in my area at the moment. Have to close that gap and shoot past first.

In the mean time you should remove Mango/Armada from those pedestals :D

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
As I have been playing melee over the last like 4 years I see the same players up at the top. The status quo has been that way for far too long in my opinion. There has been some turbulence in those rankings, but for the most part the 1st batch, 2nd batch, and 3rd batch of players has remained largely unchanged? I wonder to myself why is that that the case? Shouldn't that amount of time be enough for other people catch up and start to challenge those spots?

Then, I see stuff like this for the top players. Where is the confidence is saying "I want to beat you!" or "I am want to be the one to be the best melee player."

From the sparse interactions we have had you got my respect and thanks for all the time you have put in. Literally out of the top players you seem the most approachable (at least here) and willing to help others and want to improve yourself taking things to new heights. For all that, I say great job and keep at it. Plus, I am grateful for the help you gave me 1 on 1, and inspiration you have set for playing Marth. But, its not in me to give you all the praise and keep no confidence for myself. I want to be able to challenge yourself and the other spots myself someday.

Actually, no. Not someday else that eventually can become never. Lets see high I can get by the end of next summer. But, first those small steps. There are people better than me in my area at the moment. Have to close that gap and shoot past first.

Well, I have no control over how well other people do but I do try to help with the changing of the status quo so I would think you would like me for that at least =p

There is plenty more fire going around now but it is also okay to be supported. I do not think supporters cannot also be very driven to improve, and it looks as though you feel that way actually =)

In short, I'll do my best, and you should do your best too. I think we both would benefit from this and Melee would as well!

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Alright so that comment was made because I particularly enjoy PPMD's Marth. Can I not make comments like that while also trying to become one of the best players? I am a fan boy yes that is true, however me making these comments doesn't mean I have lost my drive to beat these players. In fact I approach Mango and Armada in a very confident manner. I demanded a mm from Armada at MLG. After that I've challenged him to another at the houston international in which yes I told him I'd be taking back my $10. tl;dr I'm gonna make these comments but I'm also gonna practice to beat these players. HUEHUEHUE

Life

Smash Hero
Stuck in a rut.

Feel like an outcast at my locals since I'm not already one of the better players. Didn't go to the weekly because of this. Not going to weeklies equals not improving equals continuing to be written off for being bad.

Doesn't help that as a player, I am also more associated with PM (and Brawl before that) which my region hates with a frankly irrational passion.

Basically, I love Smash, but my local gives me the creeping sense that I am unwanted and extraneous.

What do?

net1234

Smash Ace
Stuck in a rut.

Feel like an outcast at my locals since I'm not already one of the better players. Didn't go to the weekly because of this. Not going to weeklies equals not improving equals continuing to be written off for being bad.

Doesn't help that as a player, I am also more associated with PM (and Brawl before that) which my region hates with a frankly irrational passion.

Basically, I love Smash, but my local gives me the creeping sense that I am unwanted and extraneous.

What do?
moneymatchees
but srzly ive never met an intolerant group of smashers so it might be in ur head. either way just keep practicing and reading this forum and ul get good

Last edited:

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
Stuck in a rut.

What do?
Go play CPUs. Get Marth's movement on lock. Get your tech skill crispy. I've never met a technically sound player that was written off as "bad". At worst, people will say you have potential.

If you feel like the community really casts you as an outcast 1) You're probably wrong 2) If you wanna get in, then PRACTICE

Big Daddy Josh

Smash Apprentice

I know for me personally, I love watching M2K's and PPMD's Marths play, I honestly wish I would see them more in tournament but that's another matter. I'm a huge fan of both of them, but I still am striving to get better as quickly as I can and hopefully play them one day and eventually be able to go even with them. But until then, I will be watching them, studying them, and learning from them until I reach that point.

net1234

Smash Ace
I know for me personally, I love watching M2K's and PPMD's Marths play, I honestly wish I would see them more in tournament but that's another matter. I'm a huge fan of both of them, but I still am striving to get better as quickly as I can and hopefully play them one day and eventually be able to go even with them. But until then, I will be watching them, studying them, and learning from them until I reach that point.
if ur gonna hope to go even strive to beat their asses into the ground! the next generation is gonna wreck harder than these scrubs ever did!

strongboy

Smash Cadet
Hey, was playing some Marth vs Falco last night & it looked like I was chaining f throws for a bit. It didn't look like tech in place from Falco but rather that he just was standing after the throw. Is this the case or am I mistaken?

Also, any advice versus cc => dsmash happy Peaches?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
1) At low percents f-throw won't cause a knockdown, so they'll indeed just stand where they land. If they DI down and away they can buffer a roll to get out of your regrab, though.
2) Same things you always do to beat CC, space sth well enough to outrange their response, or just grab them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom