• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Anyone remember who M2K was facing when he was on FD as marth and shielded and then like waited to get hit and then shield SDI'd forward off the stage and did a fair or something?

Also I was watching apex 2013 again of Dr.PP vs Armada and on DL on the last match I think PP shoulda went for jump off Dair after he got a f-throw at the edge like PewPewU does but he went with a missed F-smash on Armadas last stock

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I like reverse double Fair as a very situational bait. I often retreating Fair only if I'm pretty sure I'm going to connect with it but sometimes I'll use that and double Fair to show my opponent I am controlling my space and they need to respect that.

Also, my punishment vs Armada was pretty weak overall. I've learned a lot about it since that set and I don't recommend watching it for that except on juggles.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
Also, my punishment vs Armada was pretty weak overall. I've learned a lot about it since that set and I don't recommend watching it for that except on juggles.
Do you know of any sets that exemplify really good punishment from a marth vs peach?

D

Deleted member

juggling forever = punishment.

you should show me your goods when we're in NJ.

when are you coming up anyway?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I missed a decent amount of juggles and also didn't know how to hit pivots out of Fthrow AND I don't think I edgeguarded very well either. So lol punishment.

I'll be there in time for pools hopefully LOL. We have a hilarious driving situation worked out.

D

Deleted member

i'm sure you'll be fine

and if you get there late you can be a spectator like me

and i'll teach you how to grill people that are playing while you're not so they get distracted and mad

and then thank you for it after the match because you're me or you

it's hilarious

Son of Slobodan

Smash Cadet
peepee i'd like to hear your opinion on playing marth in an aggressive way. I love the character and have been playing him for 2 years, but I feel like my options are so limited against good spacies/shiek. I don't want to be entirely reliant on my grab or letting them come to me because people look for it but I feel like all of marth's attacks are so predictable because you have to jump first, then do a slow arcing aerial. Down-tilt and grab seem to be the best bet for his ground game but they're only two options whereas a character like sheik/fox can attack and approach in so many different ways.

Basically, how do you play marth in a way that isn't just reactive/counter-approaching? What moves do you consider in being aggressive in the neutral game and when is it good to use your aerials or stay grounded?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
peepee i'd like to hear your opinion on playing marth in an aggressive way. I love the character and have been playing him for 2 years, but I feel like my options are so limited against good spacies/shiek. I don't want to be entirely reliant on my grab or letting them come to me because people look for it but I feel like all of marth's attacks are so predictable because you have to jump first, then do a slow arcing aerial. Down-tilt and grab seem to be the best bet for his ground game but they're only two options whereas a character like sheik/fox can attack and approach in so many different ways.

Basically, how do you play marth in a way that isn't just reactive/counter-approaching? What moves do you consider in being aggressive in the neutral game and when is it good to use your aerials or stay grounded?
Great question! Very essential to understanding how Marth can succeed in this metagame imo.

Okay so aggression, first of all, can be done entirely with movement. This is because aggression is something that is FELT, you don't have to actually do a move to make someone know you're being aggressive. This is why people freak out on movement when someone gets stuck in shield actually haha. But anyway, by dashing closer to an opponent, you are being aggressive towards them. That, in itself, is aggressive. And guess what? Marth has a super long, low dash! Very good for him. Further, his WD can also be used to be aggressive and this is a good altered visual/audio cue the opponent must deal with when interpreting your approach.

I could go on and on about that kind of stuff, but it boils down to intent. If you want to be aggressive, move towards someone. They FEEL the range of your sword now, and that is pretty strong. In this position I was almost exclusively run up -> Dtilting, but obviously people caught on(eventually lol) and started jumping/attacking me before my dash became a run, running farther than my Dtilt length, etc. Now at this point, it doesn't really matter that your Dtilt is connecting or making them shield or whatever option you're probably looking for. The Dtilt has done its job by extending your threatening range your opponent must deal with. Your dash is now more threatening. This means people have to start running farther from you or attacking you when they see you dash in, which is of course safe as long as you don't commit to your action in advance.

From that position, you can take space/give pressure with largely dashes lol. Incrementally or in big bursts, it depends on opponent, player preference, and conditioning/momentum. Adding in a rising SH Fair when people are cornered(no one wants to get grabbed or Dtilted so jumping would beat the other two options lol,) and you have a great set of stuff to really trap people.

This works differently in the three matchups you mentioned.

For Fox, it's mostly as I described. I won't go into that one right now but it's a super fun matchup because Fox's movement is awesome too(Marth still has great potential to pin/pressure him well though so don't sweat it.)

For Falco, your dashes actually carry the threat of PS as well, so that's SUPER crucial. When you get close to Falco and he can't laser, obviously pressure is free and you don't even need to dash much lol.

For Sheik, this is a hard strategy to execute. The trick to success is to not jump unless you see her jump first or are 98%+ positive she will jump lol. You have to poke a bit more and use a VERY tight DD/WD game in order to be aggressive. It can totally be done though, just respect walk Ftilt and occasionally dash attack range.

Hope this helps, I felt inspired to write some sweet Marth stuff haha.

Last edited:

Son of Slobodan

Smash Cadet
thanks so much for responding in depth. It's a big challenge with marth to make the opponent feel pressured just by movement alone because I feel like its a major psychological thing. You have to somehow demand respect from the player or they'll just ignore your movement and go HAM on you. For example if you always dash away from fox they can just run you down, and if you dash into/through them for a grab or something you just risk getting shined. How do you establish that threatening presence? Dtilt leads into a grab at best but usually isnt something you can make big conversions off of. In general do you just not use aerials to approach if the opponent is grounded? I want to be flexible and be able to constantly change up the way I attack/threaten space but its been so difficult for me recently.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'd just like to add that the whole scaring people with your range bit only works when you can punish really hard and consistently. I think a lot of Marths suck at being aggressive when taking space because they don't capitalize on their opponent's reaction. Scaring them into shield is great, but if you don't grab them then they will be content to shield every time you get close. If they FH to a plat every time you get close, you have to make sure you are uairing them or getting them when they eventually come back down. If you can't catch their defensive reactions, they won't be afraid to bop you in the face randomly because there is a good reward and small risk (compared to when they play M2K who often kills from grabs or touches).

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You have extra respect from Dtilt to make them move away or have time to punish if they come in. That's on you to set up and it varies from matchup to matchup. You're not always doing anything. If you always dash away, then yeah you get ran down. If you always run in, then you get counterattacked or they hit you first. Dtilt still helps you set that space up.

Mr.Bonkey

Smash Rookie
I have a lot of trouble with fast aggressive foxes. I don't know how to keep the out of my space. It feels like a lot of the time I have no breathing room so I just panic and throw out random fairs and get punished for it . any tips on how to play against an aggressive fox?

PolishSmash

Smash Journeyman
I know this is kind of a noob question but I'm having trouble knowing if I L cancelled with Marth. I have my shuffles down its with the full hops I have a problem with. I full hop with a rising Fair and then Fast fall with a Fair. Am I suppose to L cancel that? Because I heard that full hop aerials are auto cancelled or something?? And his Fairs are so fast when I fast fall that I don't even know if I L cancelled correctly or not.

PolishSmash

Smash Journeyman
I have a lot of trouble with fast aggressive foxes. I don't know how to keep the out of my space. It feels like a lot of the time I have no breathing room so I just panic and throw out random fairs and get punished for it . any tips on how to play against an aggressive fox?
I'm sort of a beginner but seems like maybe you need to work on your spacing. Do you have your dash dance and wavedashing down? Just DD and bait the Fox then grab him when he whiffs. Movement with Marth is number one on the list IMO. You need to have control of your character.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I know this is kind of a noob question but I'm having trouble knowing if I L cancelled with Marth. I have my shuffles down its with the full hops I have a problem with. I full hop with a rising Fair and then Fast fall with a Fair. Am I suppose to L cancel that? Because I heard that full hop aerials are auto cancelled or something?? And his Fairs are so fast when I fast fall that I don't even know if I L cancelled correctly or not.
Marth's hitbox and frame data thread tells you which frames of each aerial autocancel (it's usually just a few frames at the beginning and end of the move, but some moves like Marth's nair have a more noticeable amount of AC frames).

Once you get used to moving immediately after L-cancelling, it becomes a lot easier to tell if you L-cancelled or autocancelled successfully or not. A common action after aerials with Marth is to dash away. If you L-cancel correctly and dash away asap, it will work fine, but if you dash away with the same timing after missing an L-cancel or autocancel, the input won't go through and you will simply start walking.

PolishSmash

Smash Journeyman
Marth's hitbox and frame data thread tells you which frames of each aerial autocancel (it's usually just a few frames at the beginning and end of the move, but some moves like Marth's nair have a more noticeable amount of AC frames).

Once you get used to moving immediately after L-cancelling, it becomes a lot easier to tell if you L-cancelled or autocancelled successfully or not. A common action after aerials with Marth is to dash away. If you L-cancel correctly and dash away asap, it will work fine, but if you dash away with the same timing after missing an L-cancel or autocancel, the input won't go through and you will simply start walking.
Dude thanks for the reply. I'll try dashing this time. Usually I just try to jab after an aerial. Thanks bro

PCwizCube

Smash Cadet
How do you fight against a Fox that likes to full hop and double jump A LOT? One particular fox does that to me, and he doesn't do it stupidly (he doesn't approach with it). He camps the platforms a lot and adds a lot of shines to his full hop/double jumps. It's basically his neutral game. Instead of dash dancing to find openings and better position himself, he does the same thing by controlling a ton of space through jumping around me in circles.

It's really pressuring actually (his movement). I feel like he has total control over the neutral game -- by being in the air! I know I shouldn't commit to too many moves because Marth is laggy but he moves so fast and I've never seen any Fox fight like him so I have no idea what to do.

Here's a video of some matches of me between him. The first match or two should show you what I'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVcClbp9ZkU&t=0m5s

Thank You!

Last edited:

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
I'm basing this only on the first match, so apologies if there's another one you wanted me to look at.

He's not just fullhopping, it looks like he's playing to the platforms really significantly. Marth doesn't really have a good way to deal with this–he gets to platforms faster and can do more while he's there than you can.

Obviously this doesn't work when you're down a lot, but marth here doesn't have many options to approach fox on platforms (especially dream land's platforms) and it's not a bad idea to just wait. Notice that he only really starts doing his platform shenanigans in earnest once you're down a stock. Tellingly though, you had opportunities to punish fox really hard on your first stock that you didn't take (offstage situation at 0:47) and had you gotten some of those, fox wouldn't have been able to afford to play his defensive platform game.

After that stock, there are moments where he comes down and you have an opportunity to grab him that you don't take, like when he fullhop nairs at you (1:08). That should've been a punish for you and instead you end up off the stage and dead. He actually does this quite a few times, and every time he fullhops at you, you have an amazing opportunity to just hold down that shield button and go for a grab. This game just felt like you really got scared after the first stock and had a hard time bringing it back from there, but I don't think it was his platform movement that got you quite as much as your own fear keeping you from recognizing and taking advantage of opportunities.

You also got spotdodge-shined a lot so I can see why you would've been wary about grabs generally.

PCwizCube

Smash Cadet
Obviously this doesn't work when you're down a lot, but marth here doesn't have many options to approach fox on platforms (especially dream land's platforms) and it's not a bad idea to just wait.
Thank you for your feedback! Yeah I've realized my lack of punishing is definitely a big problem. I will work on that.

Also what did you mean by "it's not a bad idea to just wait." Do you mean I should dash dance around his jumps and wait for him to attack? Or literally just stand there and wait for him to attack (and then DD grab or something like that accordingly).

Also I notice he seems to always pin me to the edge. When he's camping the top platforms where should I be? In those matches I usually dash dance around the edge but then I feel stuck there since I feel like he has control of center stage with his platform movement (then he's free to come in and pin me at the edge).

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
Also what did you mean by "it's not a bad idea to just wait." Do you mean I should dash dance around his jumps and wait for him to attack? Or literally just stand there and wait for him to attack (and then DD grab or something like that accordingly).

Also I notice he seems to always pin me to the edge. When he's camping the top platforms where should I be? In those matches I usually dash dance around the edge but then I feel stuck there since I feel like he has control of center stage with his platform movement (then he's free to come in and pin me at the edge).
Waiting doesn't mean not moving really, dash dancing below and threatening him with empty hops or what have you are always options. Just don't commit to anything he can backair and run away from again.

Don't let yourself drift to the edge. Center stage is a good thing to have.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
How fast should my dash dance with Marth be?
Ken has gone on record in his Marth tutorial saying that Marth's dash dance should look like Marth is skating across the stage. So waiting for a solid portion of Marth's dash to be finished before dashing back. Also, you could watch a few Marth vids on youtube and just see what they do.

Bones0

Smash Legend
DD is a form of movement. The quickness and timing you press left and right with depends on where you want to be, when you want to get there, and what way you want to be facing.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Exactly. It's not about how fast, but rather, where do you want to go?

Sometimes to get to some really precise spot (without walking), you might need to do a small dash forward, dash back and immediately dash forward again, for instance. It really depends on where (and when) you want to be.

PCwizCube

Smash Cadet
How do you punish a fox that does dash attack a lot? Just avoid it completely with DD grab? A lot of times I'm dash dancing but then when I'm getting cornered and can't dash dance back farther I get hit with a dash attack. Is the best thing to do is just shield it? Crouch canceling doesn't seem to do much and d-tilting/grabbing him before the dash attack comes out is difficult.

If I shield it, can I do anything to punish fox (since shield grab doesn't really work)? I heard reverse dolphin slash works but that's more situational. Or is WD OoS --> grab a legitimate option? Also, if I shield dash attacks, I feel like the fox can easily start grabbing instead and it's hard for me to tell which one he's going to do.

I guess the best answer is to improve my movement so I'm out of it's range in the first place but I want to know if there's anything else I can do if I am being cornered because fox's always do dash attack --> up smash on me and it always seems to work >.<

Last edited:
Someone check if I am BS'ing or not.
How do you punish a fox that does dash attack a lot? Just avoid it completely with DD grab? A lot of times I'm dash dancing but then when I'm getting cornered and can't dash dance back farther I get hit with a dash attack. Is the best thing to do is just shield it? Crouch canceling doesn't seem to do much and d-tilting/grabbing him before the dash attack comes out is difficult.

If I shield it, can I do anything to punish fox (since shield grab doesn't really work)? I heard reverse dolphin slash works but that's more situational. Or is WD OoS --> grab a legitimate option? Also, if I shield dash attacks, I feel like the fox can easily start grabbing instead and it's hard for me to tell which one he's going to do.

I guess the best answer is to improve my movement so I'm out of it's range in the first place but I want to know if there's anything else I can do if I am being cornered because fox's always do dash attack --> up smash on me and it always seems to work >.<
Don't get put into situations where you can be followed up by dash attack. Crouch cancel -> grab, dtilt, anything(?). Shield -> aerial,grab. Just attack. Avoid.

There really is not any best answer as many things work and there are other things to consider as well. I think the biggest concern is what is getting you hit by it in the first place? You described being cornered which to me means that you are retreating too much. If you have a lot of stage, then retreating can be fine. Once you lose your stage trying to retreat is not going to do much other than simply place yourself at the ledge.

Also, when you get hit you need DI to avoid annoying follow-ups.

PCwizCube

Smash Cadet
Someone check if I am BS'ing or not.

Don't get put into situations where you can be followed up by dash attack. Crouch cancel -> grab, dtilt, anything(?). Shield -> aerial,grab. Just attack. Avoid.

There really is not any best answer as many things work and there are other things to consider as well. I think the biggest concern is what is getting you hit by it in the first place? You described being cornered which to me means that you are retreating too much. If you have a lot of stage, then retreating can be fine. Once you lose your stage trying to retreat is not going to do much other than simply place yourself at the ledge.

Also, when you get hit you need DI to avoid annoying follow-ups.
Thanks for your advice! And about DI'ing, which direction do I DI if I'm hit by a dash attack? Because DI'ing away never works (I always get hit by the upsmash).

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Whelp, time to go back into the lab and study up on some more Marth stuff. New material is always a plus.

D

Deleted member

PP wins unless he's depressed.

m2k wins unless it's non-depressed PP

mango wins when m2k doesn't knock him out.

hungrybox wins when the top 8 isn't 6+ foxes.

Beat!

Smash Master
Congrats on the win, PP! Really nice Marth play against M2K (and your Falco's okay too, I guess :p).

Anyone who wants to learn proper dashdancing/staying grounded with Marth should rewatch the hell out of PP's matches. Notice how he almost never has to commit to swings in neutral, because his movement has already done the job for him.

Shrug

Smash Cadet

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
man those marth matches.....*tear

I haven't felt so lucid in tournament as I did that Marth ditto in quite some time haha. It all just came together.

I think everyone should benefit from watching me vs m2k marth dittos at big house 3 and apex 2014. If you need a good starting place, watch the opening play for both.

I hope the vs sheik match was fairly helpful as well. I had to make a couple adjustments to pull that one out!

RevengeLatty

Smash Rookie
Hey Dr peepee i want to start playing melee i have played allot of brawl but no melee at all. ive watch thoes advance techniques for melee and have been practising the setups but for marth as a character where do i begin and how do i practice with him alone? thanks for reading

And well done on the Win at Apex was verywell deserved

Top Bottom