• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
If you wavedash to where they land, and they tech in, and you dash back, you'll do that weird running in place animation, which can mess you up.

Speaking of, I am generally confused on a number of Marth's grabs at various percents such as what actually works and what does not. I believe CF can jump out of Uthrow at any percent, but I cannot Utilt chain until at least 50% or if a tech is missed.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Falcon is really weird with Marth's Uthrow

You can try to trap him above you with Uthrow, because he has to jump to not get Utilted a lot of time, but obviously that puts him above Marth without his jump

Then again, platforms can screw with this but whatever

AustinRC

Smash Lord
vs falcon up throw uptilt will work around 18 to 25% if they dont full DI out, if they do you can either fsmash or ftilt. Juggling falcon is pretty necessary for Marth to win the match up.

Dart!

Smash Master
yeah, if he's teching alll your dthrows and fthrows and you're moving super quick with them mix it up by giving him a bthrow and he'll prolly **** up.

Wo1f

Smash Apprentice
In general how to fight sheik. I always have a problem with them, once I'm grabbed I end up with 55% and sheiks ready to go again. Now, I'm not exactly the best Marth, or close to it, but I just don't know what to do in basically every instance. Spacing, once I'm grabbed, good combos, etc. Sorry for the late response.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
uthrow, crouch cancel, space fairs, don't jump.
advice to live by; as I'm finding out

I've been watching matchups of marth vs shiek but somehow I mess up edgeguarding alot

Is it correct that the goal is to make them land onstage? then whats the best way to punish? Usually go for a grab or ledgehop uair to a fsmash or dair, but I don't quite know when to roll or when to just stay on the edge, is there an easy answer here?

also, versus peach, I always have YS banned and I always ban brinstar, so what are some good counterpicks ? battlefield or fod seem what I have left

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Yo guys quick question: how the **** do you do pivot nairs with such consistency? Is it a true pivot? Do you DD, shield to stop momentum, jump, and nair? I can't do it for the life of me and I really want it as part of my game..

advice to live by; as I'm finding out

I've been watching matchups of marth vs shiek but somehow I mess up edgeguarding alot

Is it correct that the goal is to make them land onstage? then whats the best way to punish? Usually go for a grab or ledgehop uair to a fsmash or dair, but I don't quite know when to roll or when to just stay on the edge, is there an easy answer here?
Yes, you want to make them land on-stage to take advantage of their landing lag.

Don't ledgehop uair. Your ledgehop nairs can send them backwards if you delay them. If they land right next to the edge, thats usually your best option. Farther away and just do normal get up (if under 100%) or ledgehop waveland (time it so they can't grab the ledge) to grab. Tipper/fsmash when appropriate off of ledge getups. Don't forget to go offstage to edgeguard her; she is quite vulnerable. Also, cover when she airdodges/jumps over you with ledgehop nair.

also, versus peach, I always have YS banned and I always ban brinstar, so what are some good counterpicks ? battlefield or fod seem what I have left
Pokemon Stadium against a Peach that bans Yoshi's. Without question.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Who shields to stop momentum o_O

The way I (and I assume most people) pivot Nair is ...
1. Dash
2. Turn around during initial dash
3. Immediately jump and let go of the control stick at the same time
4. Nair

Steps 2 and 3 are done almost simultaneously but I listed them as separate steps because you have to turn around first (obviously)

The stuff in step 3 I don't think it matters / you do them at the same time
And don't just be limited to pivot Nair ... I pivot a lot of stuff when I play Falcon (i.e. Knee)

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Crimsonblur - Pivot nairs aren't really that hard once you get the hang of it.

Just in your run flick the control stick the other way and quickly nair. I can do it fairly easily with any character.

mers

Smash Ace
Hm, I gotta get used to the flicking motion I suppose. I am actually really consistent with pivot ground moves but pivot aerials eff me up. Imma try to practice what you two said, thanks. :)
Just work on pressing jump at the exact time you would press whatever button you use for pivot ground attacks. That's what worked for me anyhow.

Dart!

Smash Master
Crimsonblur - Pivot nairs aren't really that hard once you get the hang of it.

Just in your run flick the control stick the other way and quickly nair. I can do it fairly easily with any character.
what he said, just flick the control stick and nair, if you turn around jab or ftilt that means you're nairing too fast. if you don't turn around you didn't get the "flick"

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Doing moves that lead into other moves
Swinging your sword around the stage

I mean, what else is there to practice when you're by your lonesome

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Who shields to stop momentum o_O

The way I (and I assume most people) pivot Nair is ...
1. Dash
2. Turn around during initial dash
3. Immediately jump and let go of the control stick at the same time
4. Nair

Steps 2 and 3 are done almost simultaneously but I listed them as separate steps because you have to turn around first (obviously)

The stuff in step 3 I don't think it matters / you do them at the same time
And don't just be limited to pivot Nair ... I pivot a lot of stuff when I play Falcon (i.e. Knee)
i do it lot with marth since his DD is pretty long.

fox not so much because I can control him better anyways. marth is like water

Wo1f

Smash Apprentice
What do I do from uthrow sheik? If I shouldn't jump, then what else could I use besides aerials, and if I shouldn't jump then how would I spam fairs? What should I do once I'm grabbed? Best edgeguarding techs?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
What do you guys think about dash attack against sheik? I think it works pretty well.
Its awesome, especially if they're in the air.

A few times vs Vanz iirc I would trade an aerial needle with a dash attack. Freakin **** xD

Its good vs DD camping too but other than that its kinda hard to say. I think good sheiks are going to be ready with CC grab for sure but in the right situation its great.

What do I do from uthrow sheik? If I shouldn't jump, then what else could I use besides aerials, and if I shouldn't jump then how would I spam fairs? What should I do once I'm grabbed? Best edgeguarding techs?
I typically, upthrow then uptilt. If the uptilt hits because you timed it perfectly or they didn't jump out or w/e then I follow up with fairs and stuff since its all guaranteed.

If they jump out follow their movements in the air. You can float under and do upairs at the last moment or just re-grab if they aerial and stuff.

Basically be a shark and once you forced them to lose their DJ just attack where they'll probably land.

If you get grabbed, DI in and then DI the following hit away. At earlier percents you might wanna try to time your DJ so you don't get tipper upsmashed.

Thats about it for that, her grab is devastating to marth, thats about all you really can do tbh >_>.

For edgeguarding make sure you just grab the edge and let her back on then hit her off again. You can get fancy if you feel comfortable with like dair and stuff but basically thats all you have to do.

Niko45

Smash Master
Yea when she's landing with needles is like the exact scenario I was thinking of when I brought that up. I think I'd have to be really confident to use it when she's grounded.

Anyways tec0 I need more vids of your Marth. You should get on that. :D

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
from 0-10%, sheik can no DI nair before your utilt comes out. If they try to DI, i believe the utilt is actually a true combo.

the percents after that, utilt and you can still chase the jump. Sheik doing jump->instant airdodge down + away will get her to the ground before you can get to her (or it seems like it would in my mind). Maybe a dash attack could cover that. Who knows, no sheik has ever done it to me.

around 30% sheik gets thrown too far and can dodge the utilt without jumping if she DIs. This is when shffl'd uairs become really good. Run under her and shffl a uair, and she has to choose between jumping or taking the uair. Since the uair has a lot less lag than utilt, you can chase the jump fairly easily.

then eventually uthrow stops being realistic in combos so you should start throwing her off the stage.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Yea when she's landing with needles is like the exact scenario I was thinking of when I brought that up. I think I'd have to be really confident to use it when she's grounded.

Anyways tec0 I need more vids of your Marth. You should get on that. :D
Dash attack spaced well also ***** like, every aerial LOL

And xD lemme see if I can get my recording setup to work, and I need to play a lot more. Haven't had the chance to in a while :(

from 0-10%, sheik can no DI nair before your utilt comes out. If they try to DI, i believe the utilt is actually a true combo.

the percents after that, utilt and you can still chase the jump. Sheik doing jump->instant airdodge down + away will get her to the ground before you can get to her (or it seems like it would in my mind). Maybe a dash attack could cover that. Who knows, no sheik has ever done it to me.

around 30% sheik gets thrown too far and can dodge the utilt without jumping if she DIs. This is when shffl'd uairs become really good. Run under her and shffl a uair, and she has to choose between jumping or taking the uair. Since the uair has a lot less lag than utilt, you can chase the jump fairly easily.

then eventually uthrow stops being realistic in combos so you should start throwing her off the stage.
I usually fthrow her at 0% actually and I usually get a regrab.

Personally speaking I most of the time uptilt then wait so that air dodge down thing would just give me a free regrab *shrugs*

And well iunno you know more percentage ****, I dunno **** about percentage specific stuff D=

Niko45

Smash Master
That no DI nair is so annoying. I pretty much always up tilt after an up throw now and if they DJ out I just try to follow as best I can afterwards....its just not worth it to risk getting hit by that nair.

And its funny dash attack was a move I spammed a lot as a bad player and used as my main way to start combos. Then there was this huge period of time where I really stopped using it at all for some reason and just recently I'm re-discovering how amazing it is.

Edit: another question - is there any trick to beating Sheik's bair with Marth's fair? I feel like I see other Marths doing this sometimes but I can never seem to do it. Is there a point where her bair is just going to trade or win regardless? Do you have to be kinda underneath her when you do it? Is it just about staying back farther as she extends towards you?

Top Bottom