• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Maybe you've heard my question a million times already but.

After watching M2K, I've forced myself into being good at the vs. Shiek match-up with Marth. Any tips/tricks to help me better my game against heR?
Learn to combo her as well as you can... if she hits you, you'll die...

Yeah you did :D

Question: How do you win Fox Dittos? :D
Camp grabs and nair shine repeats. :laugh:

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
i 3 stocked chillin and forwards sheik the last 2 (4) times i played each of them at SCC

try to get up tilt fair combos going after up throw around 20-30ish % is the best range to do that. Don't let sheik dash attack you, jump backwards away from her and downair or fair/nair her. Don't let her CC down tilt to Fair you. And don't get hit with her charged needles. With this you should be fine. Sheik still ***** Marth though.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
i 3 stocked chillin and forwards sheik the last 2 (4) times i played each of them at SCC

try to get up tilt fair combos going after up throw around 20-30ish % is the best range to do that. Don't let sheik dash attack you, jump backwards away from her and downair or fair/nair her. Don't let her CC down tilt to Fair you. And don't get hit with her charged needles. With this you should be fine. Sheik still ***** Marth though.
Thank you thank you thank you.

I'll keep that in mind.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I got a few questions

How hard it is to control Marth in a competitive level? Because it seems you gotta L-cancel and measure distance (for the tips) and such.

Does Marth have any bad levels? He seems to be comfortable with almost any level the opponent could pick.

What do you think are some of Marth's best moves and why?

Does the color of Marth make the player? :p

Bailey

Smash Hero
I need to know where to take a Fox for counter picks because that is what I seem to have trouble with now a days. I normally ban FD against Foxes because even though I can CG them it is really easy to get ***** right back from their grabs to U-Airs. Also Cactuar where did you get your controller??

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hey Cactuar, remember me from FC? I was the Samus/Fox player who played with you at like 3 in the morning for awhile and we did like 4 player fox FFA's on Hyrule and Ic mountain XD.

How much would you sell your controller for.

XD just kidding but I really loved your controller. Green Ftw.

Also, as of today I am going to play Marth. I am going to ask FastLikeTree how to play him so I want to Marth ditto you if I ever see you again :). Next FC maybe?

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Lol, only a peach player would dare say something like that...
Okay, yeah, that was supid of me to say. Pretty much every character needs to L-cancel. I would change it, but I'll leave it as it is. Just to show people how stupid I am XD

andrewlb

Smash Rookie
When you do your SHFFL's (for the most part) do you use the control stick and A or do you use the C-Stick?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
LOL@ some of the questions in this thread.

Thanks for helping keep spam/obvious questions out of my Q&A topic Charles.

You are a true friend. ;)

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
and yet again i turn to the cactus for help lol

i have trouble fighting marths... their sword is soo..... sooooo goood.
lol but seriously, especially on any smaller stage with platforms that marth can utilt or fsmash over. iv watched plenty of videos where the samuses like hugz or wes try to use a lot of missles, but it dosnt work at all on smaller stages, and it seems i would have to resort to bairs. edgeguarding isnt a big issue, its just my on-stage-game.

Salaad

Smash Ace
In Marth dittos you want to DD camp and Fthrow chaingrab and you can do whatever you want from there...

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Cactus! its been such a mystery to me how urself, KDJ, and....umm well cant think of others right now(not @ 1am @ least) became so beast within such a short amount of time. Like you u used to be run away Fsmash guy(right?), now ur like top ten EC in a span of about 2 years-ish?(not counting this year)

I've heard stories bout back in the day, but i'd like to hear it from the source. What did you do to make sure self better back in early TSA days?

takieddine

Smash Master
Cactus! its been such a mystery to me how urself, KDJ, and....umm well cant think of others right now(not @ 1am @ least) became so beast within such a short amount of time. Like you u used to be run away Fsmash guy(right?), now ur like top ten EC in a span of about 2 years-ish?(not counting this year)

I've heard stories bout back in the day, but i'd like to hear it from the source. What did you do to make sure self better back in early TSA days?
I'm assuming get wrecked a lot by pros.

figure out what you're doing wrong.

wreck noobs with your new knowledge.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
From what I understand Cactuar had improved due to playing M2k for a long time. This obviously isn't the only reason, but playing top players a lot does make you better faster if your willing to learn through trial and mistake.

Edit: Actual question here...

I think a have a huge problem being able to adapt correctly in matches. When you enter a match with someone you haven't played before. Is there anything you look for that helps you gauge quickly certain tendencies or how well you think they can play?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I think that MArth sucked...

but still.

I haven't seen any Marth ***** that bad in a while. That was insane.
You think he sucked because he got *****? lol. KOS-MOS just won MGC, a tournament that FLT,Wobbles,Trail,Dope,Watty and some other really good people were all at.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
based on that video i would bet that he didn't win using marth
Nope, he beat wobbles using peach...but still. XD. Also, that was awhile ago and KOS-MOS seems much better now.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I'm looking for overall advice on approaching a side-step happy Mario...

Ref: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21DejSDcuc4

And yes, I KNOW ABOUT THE STICKY! I'm looking for whats good and whats bad to do against this type of player...
I don't feel like watching the vid, but from your description of him being side step happy my best advice is to slow down your game play. When you jump towards him, just hold back and let yourself land in sword range without doing an attack, then *important* just wait. Stuff like that. Start baiting the sidesteps rather than having him sidestep you.

how do i practice combos/
Well usually, I go to the level with the big pool and practice my grinds for a bit, alternating them for the additional multipliers. Then I drop in and start doing different stalls, making sure to segue properly between moves with reverts off the aerials into other stuff. Just get used to the feeling of having maximum possible speed for max height going into the jump, then landing properly to make sure you minimize the loss of momentum.

I got a few questions
How hard it is to control Marth in a competitive level? Because it seems you gotta L-cancel and measure distance (for the tips) and such.
Does Marth have any bad levels? He seems to be comfortable with almost any level the opponent could pick.
What do you think are some of Marth's best moves and why?
Does the color of Marth make the player? :p
Every character has their difficult aspects. Getting used to tipper spacing and timing for l-cancels just comes naturally over time.

Marth sucks on every counter pick stage. I go Fox on any stage that isn't a neutral.

I like Marth's usmash and fb. Both are underrated. Upsmash is often unexpected in a combo, allowing you to pressure an opponent into DIing above you, only to get usmash tipped to death. Fb can pick opponents up and lag them enough for you to start a combo.

I am nothing without my Cactus Marth.

I need to know where to take a Fox for counter picks because that is what I seem to have trouble with now a days. I normally ban FD against Foxes because even though I can CG them it is really easy to get ***** right back from their grabs to U-Airs. Also Cactuar where did you get your controller??
I go FD, FoD, and BF vs Fox players. Just get used to using the platforms properly to assist your movement and combos and you should do fine.

2_percent from North Carolina made my controller.

Is FLT good? I hear good things but I've never seen him play.
FLT is very good.

When you do your SHFFL's (for the most part) do you use the control stick and A or do you use the C-Stick?
I use C-stick or else I wouldn't be able to fastfall.
I feel like people are answering questions that aren't directed towards them...

But yeah, I usually use C-stick for everything except for the first fair in a shdf unless I need to move backwards while fairing.

Cactuar are you going to VLS in CT and if so will you Bowser Ditto me?
I should be going, and sure, I'll bowser ditto you. I suck with bowser though. :laugh:

Cactuar, how many liters of water per year do you need to survive, since you're a cactus and all?
Somewhere between one and threeve.

and yet again i turn to the cactus for help lol

i have trouble fighting marths... their sword is soo..... sooooo goood.
lol but seriously, especially on any smaller stage with platforms that marth can utilt or fsmash over. iv watched plenty of videos where the samuses like hugz or wes try to use a lot of missles, but it dosnt work at all on smaller stages, and it seems i would have to resort to bairs. edgeguarding isnt a big issue, its just my on-stage-game.
Is there a question in here somewhere?

In Marth dittos you want to DD camp and Fthrow chaingrab and you can do whatever you want from there...
Again... I feel like people are answering questions that aren't directed towards them...

Yes, I used to do almost nothing but fsmash people. And I still won the majority of my matches.

I don't really know why I got better aside from playing M2K. I don't really practice that much. It just kinda comes naturally. (I've got Cactus super intelligence and adaptability.)

From what I understand Cactuar had improved due to playing M2k for a long time. This obviously isn't the only reason, but playing top players a lot does make you better faster if your willing to learn through trial and mistake.

Edit: Actual question here...

I think a have a huge problem being able to adapt correctly in matches. When you enter a match with someone you haven't played before. Is there anything you look for that helps you gauge quickly certain tendencies or how well you think they can play?
Just look for things they do repeatedly. Aside from that, just know your match ups and what your opponent can do with their character and you should do fine.

Bailey

Smash Hero
Cactuar what is the next tournament you are attending. I gotta see your Marth again lol. Also MM? My Fox Vs your Fox best of 5 and My Marth Vs you Fox best of 5. Both for $1.

Bailey

Smash Hero
Slikvik even though you beat me you were predictable. Granted I couldn't take advantage of it you still got to switch up your style every now and then.

Also Cactuar Sheik's what to do about them??

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I think I know what Chibo is trying to ask you. Let me fix his post.

That's better.
lol scars pretty much got it right there. what i meant though was what should i do as samus to help beat marths. or if you would rather me phrase it into a more marth question: what kind of samus things is marth weak to?

Top Bottom