• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

maxono1

Smash Cadet
This weekend I got to play with Fiction since he came to TX, and something he said to me was that I was using counter too much when he would recover below the ledge, even when I felt like I didn't have enough time to set up something different. One example that I think shows what I'm talking about is this: https://youtu.be/OJJtWbBJxdw?t=1069
After hitting the first jabs, Zain runs off since he wants to upb and kill fox, which makes perfect sense to me, but Fiction drops super low to sweetspot instead, and Zain is able to use counter, which could have easily not worked. I feel like Zain made a good choice to look for that upb after hitting the jabs, but in turn wasn't able to get a guaranteed cover for the sweetspot attempt, since he could have been punished had fiction avoided counter. After the second jabs too I feel like Zain had very little time to cover fiction's up b. I think he could try and grab ledge let go fair, but idk if I would get that in time, and if I did, what I would do if fiction teched that.

When we talked about this, Fiction told me to just fsmash lol
when they can ledgetech dtilt/fsmash/counter in that situation then you gotta play the 50/50 of them going onstage(fsmash) vs going to ledge(grab ledge or ledgeroll or whatever). you can kinda manipulate them for example by staying onstage and making it look like ur gonna dtilt with crouch and then grab ledge late or grab ledge early and then ledgedash fsmash.

maybe you can mix up counter/dtilt because the tech windows are so different so they miss the tech or if you know how the firefox angles look like between the sweetspot and going onstage you could react but i dont know if that is realistic.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I have some questions about fox, and about edgeguarding spacies

In neutral, when fox runs at me coming forward, and I move away and he shields, what can I do to pressure him for putting his shield up? I can try spacing aerials but I often get punished for pivot fairing his shield and misspacing it, so he gets an usmash oos, or at worst I can't really punish it. It's usually done before he gets right on my back, so it's too far for me to pivot grab. I've thought of trying to read it and run in grab way earlier, but I feel like I could get tricked by him and that it's super risky.

In this situation when marth gets onto the corner: https://youtu.be/OJJtWbBJxdw?t=932
What could Zain have done differently here? Stuff like this is why I'm not as confident about using aerials when getting out of the corner. Even when I do sh fairs or ac nairs like Zain does in these situations, I feel like fox can just wait and then punish me really hard for them, but since he's so close I need to do something so I'm not getting instantly hit and sent back offstage.

When edgeguarding fox and falco from farther out, how much success have you had with jumping out to fair the way Zain does where he tries to get to their up b startup? I've tried to do that a lot more recently and I've had mixed results with it. While I have been able to confirm kills doing it, it's also gotten me killed just as many times, for missing/clanking with side b, not being able to reach their up b in time for them to go over/under me, or even me hitting them, but them immediately side b'ing to ledge right after. I probably need to be doing it when they are at higher percents, and when I have enough time to set up for it.

This weekend I got to play with Fiction since he came to TX, and something he said to me was that I was using counter too much when he would recover below the ledge, even when I felt like I didn't have enough time to set up something different. One example that I think shows what I'm talking about is this: https://youtu.be/OJJtWbBJxdw?t=1069
After hitting the first jabs, Zain runs off since he wants to upb and kill fox, which makes perfect sense to me, but Fiction drops super low to sweetspot instead, and Zain is able to use counter, which could have easily not worked. I feel like Zain made a good choice to look for that upb after hitting the jabs, but in turn wasn't able to get a guaranteed cover for the sweetspot attempt, since he could have been punished had fiction avoided counter. After the second jabs too I feel like Zain had very little time to cover fiction's up b. I think he could try and grab ledge let go fair, but idk if I would get that in time, and if I did, what I would do if fiction teched that.

When we talked about this, Fiction told me to just fsmash lol
I don't know the exact spacing you mention, but you could just dash back a bit farther then pivot, or SH and mid or late Fair(slight drift back if needed for safety and for spacing). Or Nair so you could hit an aerial or beat his shield if those were the things that concerned you. You could also just wait out of the dash back and if he shielded then grab and if he didn't then pivot SH/WD back or dash away again or something I suppose. If you feel it's a guess then don't worry about that.

Hm, Fiction played that pretty well. Normally though, you can react as you're in the air at that spacing, which Zain kind of did at least. You have enough space to put out a move and even threaten a bit, which is good. The main thing is not to assume they will always attack in right away because if they always did that then they would always lose to your immediate attacks. But they might not always want to wait either because then what if you did, or moved into them, etc? So they have to go by what they think is good and at least partly by what you do as well. This means you should change your timing, walk and dash sometimes, and do various SHs to help you stay unpredictable and also to manipulate them back. Yes it's a bad position, but it's worth learning to play.

You have to kind of go out right when they start their up-B, and they have to often be nearly at a side B position or it doesn't work. I used to mess with doing that too and I found it was unreliable unless you guessed right or they up-B'd and were pretty close. I think WD off DJ Bair can be easier sometimes but that also depends on spacing. Sometimes faking going out can force their side B though, which is pretty helpful.

Fsmash is techable, so maybe Dtilt or late Fair is a safer start =p
You can also mix with having your back turned and grabbing the edge vs counter vs walk away Fsmash, or SH and then Dair vs counter vs grab edge. You have more time to react to Fox up-B than you think, especially when it's far away. It travels. I'd practice it if I were you. Grabbing edge then either holding or letting go and Fair'ing or up-B'ing or DJ Fair'ing(so you can grab edge before him or kill him if he's lower) are also good options.

Vega$

Smash Rookie
PP - Crazy things happen during an intense set. Especially things that I cannot explain but I know what I saw but I cannot replicate it. How do you approach this situation?

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Hey PPMD, I was studying your set vs Armada's Peach at Apex 2015 and I saw a few nairs that I was curious about.

https://gfycat.com/HopefulPessimisticEasternnewt (2 nairs here)
https://gfycat.com/BadInsignificantAngelfish
https://gfycat.com/HotWildCutworm

All of these nairs look like they have the same intention but I'm wondering what the intention behind doing these nairs in the first place is? Specifically the first 3 to me, hitting Peach at low percent with a late nair after a double jump seems like it could turn into a bad situation for Marth. Unless I am mistaken?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
PP - Crazy things happen during an intense set. Especially things that I cannot explain but I know what I saw but I cannot replicate it. How do you approach this situation?
Some things we push ourselves to do we didn't know about, and that should be trained to understand. Same for what we push our opponent to do. Sometimes we just need to train to be calm and focused in difficult situations, which so often can determine who wins.

Hey PPMD, I was studying your set vs Armada's Peach at Apex 2015 and I saw a few nairs that I was curious about.

https://gfycat.com/HopefulPessimisticEasternnewt (2 nairs here)
https://gfycat.com/BadInsignificantAngelfish
https://gfycat.com/HotWildCutworm

All of these nairs look like they have the same intention but I'm wondering what the intention behind doing these nairs in the first place is? Specifically the first 3 to me, hitting Peach at low percent with a late nair after a double jump seems like it could turn into a bad situation for Marth. Unless I am mistaken?
I DJ to avoid turnip throws and come down with Nair to hit turnip or at least Peach safely whether she throws or not, or shields or not. I misspaced the final Nair you link because I didn't pull back far enough/went too far forward.

AirFair

Marth tho
I don't know the exact spacing you mention, but you could just dash back a bit farther then pivot, or SH and mid or late Fair(slight drift back if needed for safety and for spacing). Or Nair so you could hit an aerial or beat his shield if those were the things that concerned you. You could also just wait out of the dash back and if he shielded then grab and if he didn't then pivot SH/WD back or dash away again or something I suppose. If you feel it's a guess then don't worry about that.

Hm, Fiction played that pretty well. Normally though, you can react as you're in the air at that spacing, which Zain kind of did at least. You have enough space to put out a move and even threaten a bit, which is good. The main thing is not to assume they will always attack in right away because if they always did that then they would always lose to your immediate attacks. But they might not always want to wait either because then what if you did, or moved into them, etc? So they have to go by what they think is good and at least partly by what you do as well. This means you should change your timing, walk and dash sometimes, and do various SHs to help you stay unpredictable and also to manipulate them back. Yes it's a bad position, but it's worth learning to play.

You have to kind of go out right when they start their up-B, and they have to often be nearly at a side B position or it doesn't work. I used to mess with doing that too and I found it was unreliable unless you guessed right or they up-B'd and were pretty close. I think WD off DJ Bair can be easier sometimes but that also depends on spacing. Sometimes faking going out can force their side B though, which is pretty helpful.

Fsmash is techable, so maybe Dtilt or late Fair is a safer start =p
You can also mix with having your back turned and grabbing the edge vs counter vs walk away Fsmash, or SH and then Dair vs counter vs grab edge. You have more time to react to Fox up-B than you think, especially when it's far away. It travels. I'd practice it if I were you. Grabbing edge then either holding or letting go and Fair'ing or up-B'ing or DJ Fair'ing(so you can grab edge before him or kill him if he's lower) are also good options.
When you say wait out of dash back and then grab if he shields, do you mean a pivot grab or running in and grabbing? I like the idea of pivot sh or nair to pressure his shield directly, since he usually does it early in response to me threatening to pivot fair out of my dash back

In the corner situation from Zain vs Fiction, is there anything he could have done during his sh once he realized that fiction was waiting? should he maybe have drifted forward more before using fair?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
It could be either, but at spacing required for pivot aerial it would be dash in JC grab.

Drifted in, empty landed, maybe DJ'd after drifting in to get around Fiction's attack. But anyway the main two are drift in and empty land here, but drift in on reaction Fair would probably not hit Fiction, though you get a mixup there(vs no Fair, and them moving back to avoid it altogether) so it's not the worst option.

AirFair

Marth tho
Ok that makes sense.

So vs opponents who I can make wait more in the corner, I can make them think I'm setting up an attack with sh, but then after the empty land should I dtilt/jab them? or should I roll when I see them come in after?

Also, if I believe they are going to wait, I can use wd dtilt here to hit them right? I know that I can use dashes to get them to attack, and then use retreating fair or pivot grab if I have enough room, but I think those two things are more effective if I might hit them with dtilt coming forward.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
It's a bit hard to say because it depends on what they do etc etc, but yeah Dtilt/jab/Fsmash/jump again/dash/WD are some of your better options but shield works too. Rolling out of the corner isn't so good.

You can also run up SH Nair which will give your dash/run more depth, but yes overall that idea is fine.

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
I haven't been very active on the board for awhile now, and I've realized it's been the result of my ego. A combination of thinking that I "should" be able to answer questions on my own, and the fear of asking "stupid" questions has discouraged me for asking for help when I've needed it. I've only started to understand this because, having been the best player in my school/local area for awhile now, the weight of being expected to perform well has mixed with a feeling of imposter syndrome/fraudulence (because I know what a small pond I'm in) and made me question why I'm even playing; why am I taking on the weight of being a competitor when the people around me no longer push me and I'm not proud of beating them? Winning isn't satisfying anymore, it's just relieving. But this is also ego: I keep trying to win at the expense of playing to understand, because I'm trying to protect that part of me that won't accept how much I still suck. (And I think this heavily contributes to my issues with tension and focus as well.)

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I need to humble myself if I want to improve further, and part of that needs to be learning to fully invest in loss without insecurity, and learning to find understanding Melee fulfilling in itself, and not just as a means to winning. I also think posting more frequently and not worrying about how "smart" or "advanced" my questions are before I ask them will do me a lot of good. (Not to say I shouldn't try to work things out myself first, obviously.) I need to gently guide myself toward the ways of thinking I want and replace my bad habits with good ones.

Confirms:
1) When I play lately I'm often thinking about whether I can confirm an option versus it being a true mixup in a given position, but I've been having troubling distilling any hard rules that make things easier than looking at each individual option in each position in each matchup and asking if it's confirmable and if so out of what option of Marth's etc. Are there such rules that would make the confirmable options and the true mixups in a position more obvious? (Not sure if it's too general a concept for a good answer to this.)

2) Would it be correct to define the tools that set Marth up to confirm his opponent's options are his movement tools like dash in/WD back/SH back, etc.? Are there times you would be able to confirm out of a bigger commitment like a swing that I should consider? (Zoning with an aerial like retreating Fair or Nair in place are good options to observe out of, but it feels like it's the jump - the movement - that you're confirming out of before the swing.)

3) Do you want to observe out of every movement, or group movements into sequences and observe out of those (the latter makes more sense to me)? And when I'm observing out of movement in neutral, am I looking to to confirm my opponent's actions, or truly react to whatever it is they do? In other words, should you always have some kind of expectation of what you're looking for? (That expectation of some option or type of options is what I think makes a confirm different than a true reaction, but I'm not sure if that distinction is correct.)

4) There are times when you have to still have to guess based on what you confirm what your opponent has in mind next, and you can't always get a direct punish on a confirmable option, right? For example, if I dash in and confirm that my opponent dashes back in response to concede space, I can keep pressing in with something like RC Dtilt or Nair in place to force a mixup, but the dash back I observed can't be directly punished except to force my opponent to run with it as we enter the mixup situation. But I could also choose to not play that mixup, and just take the space while I observe what they do next, correct? So I shouldn't just be using confirms to directly counter options, I can also use them to set up the positions I want in neutral, right? (Here I'm just checking my understanding/wondering if you could add anything.)

5) My current approach to analyzing positions is to look for what tools I have (often movements) out of which I can confirm as many of my opponent options as possible, because this gives me the most coverage and I try to make these my "default." Then I look for what true mixups my opponent has that I need to respect, and what mixups I have to beat those. (For example, https://youtu.be/YAgmV3cCKm0?t=68 this WD back looks like it allows you to confirm basically any immediate ledge option except maybe double laser or ledgedash, which would be the mixups I'd have to account for in this position.) Is there anything you would add to this or critique?

Falco:
1) https://youtu.be/YAgmV3cCKm0?t=5 Did you confirm out of the dash back that Falco was jumping in after you, and then intentionally take laser grab? It's a bit of an awkward moment because he's not close enough to convert off the laser, so he just walks toward you lol. Would you recommend this option if you notice Falco isn't quite close enough to combo off his laser in? (I figure he could also crouch here which would beat take laser Jab/SideB.)

2) https://youtu.be/YAgmV3cCKm0?t=25 Why do you roll into the corner here? Would Falco Bair outspace Marth Jab/SideB at this spacing? You do a similar roll here https://youtu.be/YAgmV3cCKm0?t=81

3) https://youtu.be/YAgmV3cCKm0?t=27 You use take laser dash back and dash back out of your landings quite a lot throughout this game, and this moment is actually kind of hilarious where you just dash back over and over again and there's not really anything Falco can do about it unless he all ins after landing his laser (which is extremely risky because Marth can cover it with Nair/Jab/SideB, right?). But it looks like after taking this first laser you could beat Falco moving in with take laser Jab or something, but instead of playing that mixup you dash back. This seems to be more reliable because like I said, it doesn't immediately look like Falco can do much except keep lasering or take space, but what would you do as Falco, if you were to punish a Marth who kept dashing back out of taking your lasers/on landing? As Marth, what options are you concerned with that would make you want to not dash back?

4) Quickly testing, Falco can slideoff DI platform techchase Uairs until 55% pre-Uthrow, which is kind of crazy. Does this mean when Marth gets an Uthrow under the side platforms he just can't cover all the different tech options on reaction if Falco plays it right? Does he have to take the 50/50s with Utilt and WL grab? Are there other ideas for this situation you have? (Setchi came up with some alternative awhile ago that you might have seen, but the reaction feels very difficult and it's a tight window so I'm not sure about its consistency https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWweGqO7VBM)

Last edited:

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
What are the difference between variants of taking space? Such as long dash forward and stalling, WD forward, run up WD down. Does each option accomplish something slightly different? What about walking? Would you consider taking space the act of occupying a space for like a solid second, as opposed to a split second like long dash forward --> short dash back, WD forward --> WD back? What about the act of taking space by zoning forward with jump fair? I want to make sure I'm understand these intricacies of taking space better. Please clarify if my wording is ambiguous.

How do you fight doc that likes to FH pill --> immediately aerial? I find whenever I try to hit the pill, I'm still in lag and leaves me open for the Doc to hit me. Supposedly I can camp doc, but I'm not really seeing it.

How do you also effectively juggle a character like doc/mario? I have a difficult time properly juggling the character because his fall speed is moderate, has various stalling options such as side-b, down-b and airdodge, and his dair has a ginormous hitbox. It feels bad whenever I try to shark and doc immediately DJ --> attacks down to punish my attempted shark. Trying to weave around with uptilt in place feels futile due to those stalling options, and I feel like I get clipped by dair a lot whenever I try to weave around. Annoying character.

What do you do when you have a lot of downtime while waiting in winner's side of GF? What's your mindset regarding the possible opponents, especially when kind of hoping the harder opponent doesn't make it to GF but does so?

Also, soon I will be competing in a crew battle format where I bear a lot of the weight in my team. For nearly all of my time playing, I played only for myself. Thinking only for myself. But, I know this will be different feeling where for the first time in a high-stakes situation, I have the entire team depending on me, and I'm depending on them as well. I have no idea how things will pan out when it happens, but any mentality advice regarding playing with and for others? My motivations and goals for singles is self-improvement and the love of the game, but I'm not sure how that would translate in a crew battle format.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
How do you also effectively juggle a character like doc/mario? I have a difficult time properly juggling the character because his fall speed is moderate, has various stalling options such as side-b, down-b and airdodge, and his dair has a ginormous hitbox. It feels bad whenever I try to shark and doc immediately DJ --> attacks down to punish my attempted shark. Trying to weave around with uptilt in place feels futile due to those stalling options, and I feel like I get clipped by dair a lot whenever I try to weave around. Annoying character.
The most straightforward method I found to keeping Mario/Doc/Luigi in the air above Marth is to stay on the ground as long as possible and try to position yourself below him so that when he gets low enough, you can SH instant upair him. If he uses his DJ to dodge the first upair, you can land, l-cancel, and be able to move to the next position he goes to with your dash and then SH instant upair him again, this time being easier since he doesn't have the DJ resource. There are probably certain points where you could FH instant upair as a mixup when the Doc/Mario/Luigi is trying to descend, but you want to make sure you land the upair, or else you will easily be whiff punished. This makes FD and PS good stages to fight against Doc/Mario/Luigi.

Keep in mind that "stalling" options like side-b and down-b from Doc/Mario/Luigi are very laggy and punishable on reaction if you bait it out. This is a big reason why staying on the ground and then reacting to his position with a SH/FH instant upair is useful. I feel it's easier to react to down-b and side-b with a FH depending on the height they are at, but it's certainly worth it to try to hit them when they do a laggy move like this.

Additionally, be very careful about using your own DJ in order to try to shark Mario/Luigi/Doc. You only really want to DJ upair if you know the upair will hit (because they exhausted all their resources) and if you know the upair will kill. Otherwise it would be a terrible position to be in to DJ upair, whiff, and allow the Doc/Mario/Luigi to hit you with no DJ. This has happened to me numerous times against Luigi where I would try to DJ upair to hit him and I would get daired with no DJ off stage.

Last edited:

maclo4

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys think about practicing fox to get better tech skill? I’ve been doing it recently and I feel like it pushes me the the edge of my tech skill more than practicing marth does. Obviously I still practice marth more but so far I think I’ve actually noticed my tech skill getting crisper

rousd

Smash Rookie
What do you guys think about practicing fox to get better tech skill? I’ve been doing it recently and I feel like it pushes me the the edge of my tech skill more than practicing marth does. Obviously I still practice marth more but so far I think I’ve actually noticed my tech skill getting crisper
My spacie main friends say that playing marth helps with spacing so maybe playing different characters helps with certain aspects of the game

I kinda wanna pick up falcon for floaty matchups since he's fun to play and also cos I have so little matchup experience vs floaties as marth but my head is telling me to stick with marth until I get better but idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I haven't been very active on the board for awhile now, and I've realized it's been the result of my ego. A combination of thinking that I "should" be able to answer questions on my own, and the fear of asking "stupid" questions has discouraged me for asking for help when I've needed it. I've only started to understand this because, having been the best player in my school/local area for awhile now, the weight of being expected to perform well has mixed with a feeling of imposter syndrome/fraudulence (because I know what a small pond I'm in) and made me question why I'm even playing; why am I taking on the weight of being a competitor when the people around me no longer push me and I'm not proud of beating them? Winning isn't satisfying anymore, it's just relieving. But this is also ego: I keep trying to win at the expense of playing to understand, because I'm trying to protect that part of me that won't accept how much I still suck. (And I think this heavily contributes to my issues with tension and focus as well.)

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I need to humble myself if I want to improve further, and part of that needs to be learning to fully invest in loss without insecurity, and learning to find understanding Melee fulfilling in itself, and not just as a means to winning. I also think posting more frequently and not worrying about how "smart" or "advanced" my questions are before I ask them will do me a lot of good. (Not to say I shouldn't try to work things out myself first, obviously.) I need to gently guide myself toward the ways of thinking I want and replace my bad habits with good ones.

Confirms:
1) When I play lately I'm often thinking about whether I can confirm an option versus it being a true mixup in a given position, but I've been having troubling distilling any hard rules that make things easier than looking at each individual option in each position in each matchup and asking if it's confirmable and if so out of what option of Marth's etc. Are there such rules that would make the confirmable options and the true mixups in a position more obvious? (Not sure if it's too general a concept for a good answer to this.)

2) Would it be correct to define the tools that set Marth up to confirm his opponent's options are his movement tools like dash in/WD back/SH back, etc.? Are there times you would be able to confirm out of a bigger commitment like a swing that I should consider? (Zoning with an aerial like retreating Fair or Nair in place are good options to observe out of, but it feels like it's the jump - the movement - that you're confirming out of before the swing.)

3) Do you want to observe out of every movement, or group movements into sequences and observe out of those (the latter makes more sense to me)? And when I'm observing out of movement in neutral, am I looking to to confirm my opponent's actions, or truly react to whatever it is they do? In other words, should you always have some kind of expectation of what you're looking for? (That expectation of some option or type of options is what I think makes a confirm different than a true reaction, but I'm not sure if that distinction is correct.)

4) There are times when you have to still have to guess based on what you confirm what your opponent has in mind next, and you can't always get a direct punish on a confirmable option, right? For example, if I dash in and confirm that my opponent dashes back in response to concede space, I can keep pressing in with something like RC Dtilt or Nair in place to force a mixup, but the dash back I observed can't be directly punished except to force my opponent to run with it as we enter the mixup situation. But I could also choose to not play that mixup, and just take the space while I observe what they do next, correct? So I shouldn't just be using confirms to directly counter options, I can also use them to set up the positions I want in neutral, right? (Here I'm just checking my understanding/wondering if you could add anything.)

5) My current approach to analyzing positions is to look for what tools I have (often movements) out of which I can confirm as many of my opponent options as possible, because this gives me the most coverage and I try to make these my "default." Then I look for what true mixups my opponent has that I need to respect, and what mixups I have to beat those. (For example, https://youtu.be/YAgmV3cCKm0?t=68 this WD back looks like it allows you to confirm basically any immediate ledge option except maybe double laser or ledgedash, which would be the mixups I'd have to account for in this position.) Is there anything you would add to this or critique?

Falco:
1) https://youtu.be/YAgmV3cCKm0?t=5 Did you confirm out of the dash back that Falco was jumping in after you, and then intentionally take laser grab? It's a bit of an awkward moment because he's not close enough to convert off the laser, so he just walks toward you lol. Would you recommend this option if you notice Falco isn't quite close enough to combo off his laser in? (I figure he could also crouch here which would beat take laser Jab/SideB.)

2) https://youtu.be/YAgmV3cCKm0?t=25 Why do you roll into the corner here? Would Falco Bair outspace Marth Jab/SideB at this spacing? You do a similar roll here https://youtu.be/YAgmV3cCKm0?t=81

3) https://youtu.be/YAgmV3cCKm0?t=27 You use take laser dash back and dash back out of your landings quite a lot throughout this game, and this moment is actually kind of hilarious where you just dash back over and over again and there's not really anything Falco can do about it unless he all ins after landing his laser (which is extremely risky because Marth can cover it with Nair/Jab/SideB, right?). But it looks like after taking this first laser you could beat Falco moving in with take laser Jab or something, but instead of playing that mixup you dash back. This seems to be more reliable because like I said, it doesn't immediately look like Falco can do much except keep lasering or take space, but what would you do as Falco, if you were to punish a Marth who kept dashing back out of taking your lasers/on landing? As Marth, what options are you concerned with that would make you want to not dash back?

4) Quickly testing, Falco can slideoff DI platform techchase Uairs until 55% pre-Uthrow, which is kind of crazy. Does this mean when Marth gets an Uthrow under the side platforms he just can't cover all the different tech options on reaction if Falco plays it right? Does he have to take the 50/50s with Utilt and WL grab? Are there other ideas for this situation you have? (Setchi came up with some alternative awhile ago that you might have seen, but the reaction feels very difficult and it's a tight window so I'm not sure about its consistency https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWweGqO7VBM)
Agree with first paragraphs. It's easier said than done, but you're making the effort.

1. If they attack from far away with a laggy option, it's confirmable. If they're right next to you and it's fast like a shine, then it's not. If they can't hit you with a standing or aerial move in place, then chances go up you can confirm. Beyond this, you can manipulate what is confirmable to an extent by setting things up. If you see an opponent dash in after you Fair zone, then you potentially confirm an incoming attack, which you then beat out as it happens. As you practice positions more, some things you couldn't confirm before in a raw sense or out of a setup become possible confirms. So this is why it's hard to say what is and isn't confirmable.

2. You can do aerials or movement. Consider Marth's Nair, which takes a while to resolve. You have time during it to see how they respond to it. Adding in the tiniest bit of time after landing helps you see what they will do next, so sometimes you have to do this.

3. I believe it's best to be looking during most movements, but you can build your observations however you like. It's easier to look out of a set, but what if your set is interrupted in the middle while you weren't looking? You can look for general things such as moving in or back, or specific things such as a Fox Nair in. The more specific, the less likely of course. So you can experiment and see what you can specifically react to, and what generally reacting helps with enough to be worth it. As long as you know Fox will rush in, then you can outrange or move back against whatever he does, so setting yourself up to do that can be fine. But bigger, and more unexpected, punishes come from knowing what and when the opponent will act, so it pays to have counters to both types.

4. That's right, though I'd argue moving in is a bit of a counter in your example(just a softer one). I'd suggest not playing the mixup is just staying in place or shifting slightly either direction, which is acceptable.

5. I'd say that's fairly correct. I feel I want to add something, but it escapes me for now.

1. A strange interaction there, but grabbing at closer range can eat Falco's move startup a lot so it's worth going for. And if he lasers again or something it's not so bad. You just need to be careful about him Fsmash'ing or dashing back and punishing if you go for this too much or misspace the range. I don't do it often.

2. That second roll seems like a mistake, but the first one I do because Falco had advantage after hitting that Dair and I knew would aerial into me which I might still be off balance against even if I moved back. Roll in surely gets me out there...except when he messes up tech skill lol.

3. That first dash back is pretty embarrassing to me, given how much space was between us. Anyway, Falco has an option here that is very good against dash back and take laser jab, and that is slight dash forward laser in place. It puts pressure on Marth, and if Marth jabbed then it puts Falco in an important mixup position. I use this a lot as Falco and Marths don't really handle it well. If I saw a Marth continuing to dash back after lasers as Falco, I would probably allow him to keep moving back but would add in a dash back after the first or certainly second iteration to be sure he wasn't trying to draw me in to catch me coming forward with some Fsmash or DA or run up side B or Nair or whatever.

4. This is hard to answer because the starting position and Falco's percent plus DI plus stage matter a lot. Starting under center and past like 30% makes it way easier though. But anyway, yes he can't cover everything in every position at every percent on every stage. I like Fsmash to just ignore the problem sometimes, and I think Fsmash is great even if they hold up because they still get into edgeguard positions, often not too bad ones, and they take lots of damage. The alternative is they die. Utilt on reaction isn't too hard since it's fast, but it isn't always feasible since you could be toward center and they could DI to platform and tech away and you wouldn't have time to hit them(maybe some WD Utilt you could do, but this is complicated enough as it is). Anyway, the main other thing to discuss is SH. You can sometimes Uair tech in place if they're toward center so they can't slide off, and DJ grab if they tech roll since it's slow, and maybe land and Utilt if you have time on certain stages etc. I never labbed it all out perfectly because that's probably impossible anyway, but it's something I'll dedicate a lot of time to later. I think giving you the base options is a good starting point though.

What are the difference between variants of taking space? Such as long dash forward and stalling, WD forward, run up WD down. Does each option accomplish something slightly different? What about walking? Would you consider taking space the act of occupying a space for like a solid second, as opposed to a split second like long dash forward --> short dash back, WD forward --> WD back? What about the act of taking space by zoning forward with jump fair? I want to make sure I'm understand these intricacies of taking space better. Please clarify if my wording is ambiguous.

How do you fight doc that likes to FH pill --> immediately aerial? I find whenever I try to hit the pill, I'm still in lag and leaves me open for the Doc to hit me. Supposedly I can camp doc, but I'm not really seeing it.

What do you do when you have a lot of downtime while waiting in winner's side of GF? What's your mindset regarding the possible opponents, especially when kind of hoping the harder opponent doesn't make it to GF but does so?

Also, soon I will be competing in a crew battle format where I bear a lot of the weight in my team. For nearly all of my time playing, I played only for myself. Thinking only for myself. But, I know this will be different feeling where for the first time in a high-stakes situation, I have the entire team depending on me, and I'm depending on them as well. I have no idea how things will pan out when it happens, but any mentality advice regarding playing with and for others? My motivations and goals for singles is self-improvement and the love of the game, but I'm not sure how that would translate in a crew battle format.
One solution is to look at the frames, or the speed of getting there and the lag. Dash gets you there fastest and you can act out of it whenever, while WD takes a bit to get there and has lag. You can also look at what you can do out of it, which WD affords more than dash. You can look at distance, which WD gives you more total distance than dash does. You can look at audio, which WD gives noise while dash does not(or not much of it). Combining these helps give you ideas. WD gives noise, advances more distance, and has lag. My personal conclusion from this is that WD is used more when you want your opponent to KNOW what you're doing without a doubt. Dash sometimes they may miss it.
You can temporarily take space, when you move into it and then directly away, or more permanently take it, where you move there then away, or fully permanently take it, where you move there and then set up your new efforts from that place. There is obviously overlap.

I don't understand this FH pill into aerial problem. I would imagine you could Fair him out of the air if you're always close enough to threaten him anyway, and if you're not you could just Fair the pill and be outside of his range or something. I also am confused about the jab thing not working, but maybe you're late? I don't know, I'd have to see it.

Yeah Utilt won't work unless they have to come into you. Fair and Uair will serve you better. If Uair and Dair trade that's fine for you. I don't remember much else when I think about it besides "he's a bad character" so I'd probably need to see an example of this too with you using less Utilt to see what the problem is.

I focus on the incoming battle, and don't assume who will be there. I practice against whatever possible characters they play and otherwise keep myself semi warmed up over the waiting period. The tournament isn't over until it's over, and I must stay in tournament mode until it is.

A group is a collection of individuals, but it's also something greater than that. The individuals want everyone to succeed, and they act differently in that shared effort. Being comforted by that total support and also feeding into it when appropriate, verbally or non-verbally, is a great way to manage that new space. You remind me of myself when I would get nervous about my new responsibilities after growing as a player, but in the end no matter what happens you'll have a new great learning experience and will grow from it. Trust your training, and trust theirs.

This was something people said to do when I started playing, and I do think it helped some. Fox having so many tight timings really forces you to be as fast as possible in bursts, which translates well to specific small quick plays you'll need as Marth.

Reyjavik

Smash Apprentice
Hey friendos. I've been lazy af as of late. Haven't been playing but trying to think more outside of the game and improve myself in other aspects of life so it can help me in melee part.
On unrelated note, I've been playing KH3 and have been so dissapointed lol. Funish game but after playing melee and diving more into game mechanics, I see huge flaws from this game going from KH2.
I've been playing a bit of netplay but by not practicing, I've seen my neutral game slip plus my new controller isn't very good. I found myself now making weird errors I didn't do before, like grabbing when I mean to oos fair when sliding fingers.
I know what I have to do but find it hard/boring to correct myself now.
How do you push yourself through this hard stuff such as breaking habits or watching film? I have ADD so its hard for me to pay attention at times

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I do all of the "hard stuff" because I love Melee and getting better and using those skills against good opponents who push me. So it's always exciting. Leading with that helps me a lot as opposed to how much work something is.

KH3 had a lot of good ideas and hit some but missed others, and removed some good staples. Overall it was a positive experience for me.

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
Agree with first paragraphs. It's easier said than done, but you're making the effort.

1. If they attack from far away with a laggy option, it's confirmable. If they're right next to you and it's fast like a shine, then it's not. If they can't hit you with a standing or aerial move in place, then chances go up you can confirm. Beyond this, you can manipulate what is confirmable to an extent by setting things up. If you see an opponent dash in after you Fair zone, then you potentially confirm an incoming attack, which you then beat out as it happens. As you practice positions more, some things you couldn't confirm before in a raw sense or out of a setup become possible confirms. So this is why it's hard to say what is and isn't confirmable.

2. You can do aerials or movement. Consider Marth's Nair, which takes a while to resolve. You have time during it to see how they respond to it. Adding in the tiniest bit of time after landing helps you see what they will do next, so sometimes you have to do this.

3. I believe it's best to be looking during most movements, but you can build your observations however you like. It's easier to look out of a set, but what if your set is interrupted in the middle while you weren't looking? You can look for general things such as moving in or back, or specific things such as a Fox Nair in. The more specific, the less likely of course. So you can experiment and see what you can specifically react to, and what generally reacting helps with enough to be worth it. As long as you know Fox will rush in, then you can outrange or move back against whatever he does, so setting yourself up to do that can be fine. But bigger, and more unexpected, punishes come from knowing what and when the opponent will act, so it pays to have counters to both types.

4. That's right, though I'd argue moving in is a bit of a counter in your example(just a softer one). I'd suggest not playing the mixup is just staying in place or shifting slightly either direction, which is acceptable.

5. I'd say that's fairly correct. I feel I want to add something, but it escapes me for now.

1. A strange interaction there, but grabbing at closer range can eat Falco's move startup a lot so it's worth going for. And if he lasers again or something it's not so bad. You just need to be careful about him Fsmash'ing or dashing back and punishing if you go for this too much or misspace the range. I don't do it often.

2. That second roll seems like a mistake, but the first one I do because Falco had advantage after hitting that Dair and I knew would aerial into me which I might still be off balance against even if I moved back. Roll in surely gets me out there...except when he messes up tech skill lol.

3. That first dash back is pretty embarrassing to me, given how much space was between us. Anyway, Falco has an option here that is very good against dash back and take laser jab, and that is slight dash forward laser in place. It puts pressure on Marth, and if Marth jabbed then it puts Falco in an important mixup position. I use this a lot as Falco and Marths don't really handle it well. If I saw a Marth continuing to dash back after lasers as Falco, I would probably allow him to keep moving back but would add in a dash back after the first or certainly second iteration to be sure he wasn't trying to draw me in to catch me coming forward with some Fsmash or DA or run up side B or Nair or whatever.

4. This is hard to answer because the starting position and Falco's percent plus DI plus stage matter a lot. Starting under center and past like 30% makes it way easier though. But anyway, yes he can't cover everything in every position at every percent on every stage. I like Fsmash to just ignore the problem sometimes, and I think Fsmash is great even if they hold up because they still get into edgeguard positions, often not too bad ones, and they take lots of damage. The alternative is they die. Utilt on reaction isn't too hard since it's fast, but it isn't always feasible since you could be toward center and they could DI to platform and tech away and you wouldn't have time to hit them(maybe some WD Utilt you could do, but this is complicated enough as it is). Anyway, the main other thing to discuss is SH. You can sometimes Uair tech in place if they're toward center so they can't slide off, and DJ grab if they tech roll since it's slow, and maybe land and Utilt if you have time on certain stages etc. I never labbed it all out perfectly because that's probably impossible anyway, but it's something I'll dedicate a lot of time to later. I think giving you the base options is a good starting point though.
Why should I expect certain options (that weren't confirmable) to become confirmable as I practice a position? I know this happens, but is it just a matter of my reactions improving? Maybe it becomes easier to discern the subtleties in my opponents' actions that indicate what option they have in mind?

If I should be looking out of most individual movements, then what are the actual purpose of movement sets? I would think setups and conditioning, but "setups" is too general for me to understand without clarification, and using them for conditioning confuses me because say you have a simple sequence like dash in > WD back, because there's a delay in their reaction to the dash in, unless I stall it out I'm not sure I can clearly see their response until I WD back, but now when do I observe their response to that? It feels like in theory, I should end up a step behind of what is actually playing out in the present.

So is the idea that, when Falco is outside his own Fsmash range after landing a laser, using take laser dash back is unnecessary because you're at a perfect range to just safely zone him out?

What do you think of Fthrow/Dthrow techchases (assuming he can't bounce to ledge) before Falco gets past the percent he can slideoff/AT Utilt? Do you think these are more or less feasible against Falco than Fox because of his long techrolls? Also would you ever recommend Uair to cover tech in place if you're not directly under the platform at the start, such as when throwing Falco slightly to the side of a BF platform and he DIs onto it? I figure he may be able to still slideoff out of tech in place from that spot, and reacting to techroll away seems like it'd be harder. Would a situation like this be one you're more likely to use something like WD Fsmash to cover techroll away?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Part of it is you get used to seeing someone move at a very specific time, and part of it is getting used to beating the options they use there. When in unfamiliar territory, you're trying to make sense of it and exerting too much conscious effort. Your subconscious takes over with enough repetition, and that's where faster reactions come from.

Movement sets are used to combine the strengths, and cover weaknesses, of individual movements. They become greater than their parts in this way. Dash in doesn't fully move you and yet it is quick, and combined with WD it helps you hold down and ensure the opponent sees what you've done and mixes the tempos well. You can achieve similar things with a quick dash in and a long dash away, but it is different in ways such as what options are conveyed with the dash back. And there is often space between decisions, that can become very small, where you can react. I think it might be easier to do what you say and simply look at the response as you do one action, which still has to be done in some cases anyway, and then through training and study etc you can build to observing in those between spaces. Setups should be fluid, and there fluidity can come a lot from this space.

Generally yeah at the Falco thing, but you can often react to his aerials there so dashing back into pivot grab can become realistic(if he does approaching laser you can turnaround side B the startup on reaction).

Fthrow/Dthrow tech chases are a great idea. You don't want him teching into center, or at least not DI'ing + teching into center so he can't get the full length away from a regrab or even RC Fsmash iirc. But mixing up his DI and/or having him tech into the corner is great.
Yeah that type of position you don't want to Uair usually, but you could mix it with tippered Fair since I think that would be harder or unlikely to slide off iirc. Turnaround Utilt can sometimes hit depending on things, but that can also be used to slideoff in some cases. If you can WD, then WD turnaround Utilt to bring them toward center of the platform could keep them from sliding off, and can mix with WD Fsmash in some cases.

maclo4

Smash Apprentice
I’m struggling to think of a good flowchart to edgeguard peach. My idea so far is to make it so she can’t go high/is scared to go high, then just trapping her on the ledge or punishing her for trying to go to ledge. Ive been thinking use bair when she’s diagonal above because it hits less upward than fair and it actually covers a lot of space. And when she’s closer to stage mix up between baiting out airdodge or aerials and using a stronger move to punish. I feel like there’s a lot of moving parts to account for tho that make it really hard to be consistent so I was wondering if you have any wisdom to share about that part of the peach mu.
Part 2
I was playing as fox against marth and it really made me experience from the other end how easy it is to punish Marths normal mixups for get down options (aerials, side b, dj) I’ve been experimenting a bit with some more creative options like airdodge then edgecancel or if I’m coming down on side plats then dj airdodge to top plat but I still feel like this is one of my weakest areas for sureee. I don’t really understand what kind of things I should be looking for to make my options effective. Like if the opponent does x I can do y and get down from above. I just feel a little lost and any direction would help.
Thanks

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
In the mirror where you have room to dash back, do you think it's worth trying to dash dance grab WD/RC dtilt as opposed to jump? Jump can be good, but I am revealing my cards and potentially making myself vulnerable. Alternatively, if my back dash doesn't work out, then I lose a lot of stage or get hit.

When do you generally think is a good time to fsmash? Is it when they stop respecting my fsmash?

maclo4

Smash Apprentice
For dd grabbing dtilt, are you expecting them to overshoot already and dashing back further? Just asking cause when I play the ditto I use dtilt as the main thing to punish dash back. If I overshoot and they shield tho it’s big rip cause I’ll be spaced so badly. I feel like dd grabbing dtilt relies on the other person not having great spacing, but I’d be interested in what pp says cause I do end up grabbing marths after they dtilt more than I would expect it to work but I think it’s probly cause of mistakes on my opponents end

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I’m struggling to think of a good flowchart to edgeguard peach. My idea so far is to make it so she can’t go high/is scared to go high, then just trapping her on the ledge or punishing her for trying to go to ledge. Ive been thinking use bair when she’s diagonal above because it hits less upward than fair and it actually covers a lot of space. And when she’s closer to stage mix up between baiting out airdodge or aerials and using a stronger move to punish. I feel like there’s a lot of moving parts to account for tho that make it really hard to be consistent so I was wondering if you have any wisdom to share about that part of the peach mu.
Part 2
I was playing as fox against marth and it really made me experience from the other end how easy it is to punish Marths normal mixups for get down options (aerials, side b, dj) I’ve been experimenting a bit with some more creative options like airdodge then edgecancel or if I’m coming down on side plats then dj airdodge to top plat but I still feel like this is one of my weakest areas for sureee. I don’t really understand what kind of things I should be looking for to make my options effective. Like if the opponent does x I can do y and get down from above. I just feel a little lost and any direction would help.
Thanks
If Peach goes over your head, it turns into a juggle, or a harder edgeguard. So you want to avoid that. Fair or Bair her back out and either is fine, but Bair is preferred for your reasoning. Bair is harder to use because it swings from low to high, so you have to be earlier with it. If you're just trying to lower her(which is usually a fine goal), then it's not a big deal. Anyway, when she's lower and not in up-B you need to be careful of airdodge and to an extent her Fair. You can swipe her Fair early, or hit airdodge after it's done, which presents a timing mixup. I'm not going into every single position and variation because that would take a good while, but going out and retreating with Fair back onstage vs going out is good, because going back beats either option generally(may need to go out different distances or not use Fair in some) and going out beats drifting back of course. When she's floating, remember she only has like three seconds of float(see for yourself) and she can't change directions easily(see for yourself). So this information will help you more than individual knowledge, and you can see how Peaches play around this problem. Most don't wait forever like Armada, so you can coax them into flailing or dodging early. From there more edge games can happen, which you can fake between things like grabbing edge or going out and Bair'ing etc etc. Most people don't struggle too bad as long as they don't try to only Dtilt there.

Yeah it's a very bad position. I found not always side B'ing, or doing it at weird times, can help. I find thinking of their FH Bair as its own range and jumping and airdodging and swinging around there forces them to act, and if they're dashing a lot they may be waiting for you to do something for them to hit. Consider their perspective. I suggest watching Mango and sometimes M2K come down out of the air to get a feel for the mixups.

In the mirror where you have room to dash back, do you think it's worth trying to dash dance grab WD/RC dtilt as opposed to jump? Jump can be good, but I am revealing my cards and potentially making myself vulnerable. Alternatively, if my back dash doesn't work out, then I lose a lot of stage or get hit.

When do you generally think is a good time to fsmash? Is it when they stop respecting my fsmash?
It's okay to do sometimes, but it's not super easy to do and quite risky in its own way as you said, partly also due to how Dtilt can catch dashes back. It's worth leaving on the table for sure, and you can counter their Dtilt by intercepting with grab, or your own Dtilt, or even Fsmash I suppose.

Fsmash is worst when they can dash back to dodge it, so when they're cornered is good, and sometimes when they shield. If they jump it can be great, but only in place or forward really. Beyond that, yeah it depends on many things. Part of it is how much risk you tolerate and how well you mix up how you approach or beat options or play positions, etc.

quixotic

Smash Apprentice
PP how do you beat tech bair in the marth ditto?

I feel like you should tipper dtilt to get more frame advantage after they tech but idk what to do afterwards.

maclo4

Smash Apprentice
Not a question but I don’t think this gets said enough, thank you ppmd and everyone else in this thread for STILL posting and helping each other to get better. Such a unique and amazing resource and most people would’ve stopped responding a long time ago or just never started in the first place. The love for melee won’t die as long as pp is alive

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
https://youtu.be/iMJDiUH3kAA?t=7 What are you thinking about when dealing with Fox at low percent on a top platform, before your aerials knock down? Also in this clip you pause for a moment and then begin a DD in rhythm with Fox - what does this allow you to do?

https://youtu.be/iMJDiUH3kAA?t=20 Is this SH slowfall Fair so you can confirm whatever immediate ledge option Fox chooses (and you just messed up the timing)? What I'm wondering is if you can sometimes sort the options you're covering into a particular timing, and you can more or less beat everything as long as it's within that timing you're covering. (Not sure if this, if accurate, is unique to Marth, but it'd probably be something he could do more than other characters because his hitboxes often can't be challenged.) Did you choose the SH because of the awkward way you entered the position, which meant you couldn't set up the spot you would "ideally" play it from?

https://youtu.be/iMJDiUH3kAA?t=31 When you cancel dash in to dash back like in this clip, do you consider the individual cut dashes to be enough stimulus in themselves for your opponent to respond to? Or in a situation like this, are you conditioning with just the fact you could dash in here to bait the Fox Nair?
Different question, but if Fox wasn't invincible here, would zoning be a fine alternative to moving in this situation? When Fox is approaching, what is it that characterizes the situations we should zone and the situations we should move?

https://youtu.be/iMJDiUH3kAA?t=70 Something I see you do quite often is to dash or WD back when you anticipate (is it anticipation?) your opponent coming off the ledge, and out of that movement back confirm their ledge option. What are the factors you weigh when considering whether to dash or WD back? Also, what are the times when you would NOT want to move back like this?

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
A very big difference I notice between top players and everyone else is their ability to recognize frame-tight situations and act out of it. An example could be Marth hitting Fox (low percent) with a late tipper fair during a scramble situation, and the Fox recognizes he isn't knocked down and immediately acts out of it with a FH or something, whereas a weaker Fox player would probably either panic and hold shield or just stand there from lack of awareness. To some degree, this applies to various execution tests as well.

I think I've played too many weaker players where I thought these situations I can just automatically grab but fails against top players. How can I exercise these sorts of scenarios especially when practicing against weaker players? I feel like now I'm just cheating by them not being sharp about their options.

Last edited:

Orange5000

Smash Rookie
Hi PP! Longtime lurker here.

I have a question concerning breaks and their potential effects on progress, as well as how to quickly snap into focus come tournament time.

Recently I’ve been experiencing substantial growth in melee, mainly thorugh regimented analysis since I live in a weak region. A couple weeks ago I attended a stacked Chicago regional (180+ entrants) and got 33rd, beating the 20th seed and had a close set with a fringe top 100 player. Though I lost early in losers top 64, which I felt was influenced by a distinct lack of energy causing lots of SD’s and tech flubs, I was pleased overall with my play that day, and felt a distinct growth in my melee. I had so many new ideas born from playing all the best midwestern players at that tournament and felt excited to attend something soon.

A week later, I go to an Indiana (where I’m from) local of about 100 entrants sprinkled in with some really good out of state players. What resulted was one of my worst performances in a while; I placed 25th, and I had trouble sustaining focus like never before. Given what I had shown to be able to do a week ago along with lots of new ideas, I put a lot of pressure on myself to try and at least top 8, however the lack of focus compounded with the pressure to do well either caused or exacerbated a negative mindset, which didn’t really ever get better. Every game I’d be struggling to focus the way I want on the opponent, and on my final stock I’d barely claw back the win with sometimes 2-3 stock comeback, all fueled by telling myself that there’s absolutely no way I can lose this early. Win or lose I’d come out of each set horrified with my performance. I was in a spot where I simultaneously didn’t want to lose yet also didn’t want to be there.

After eventually losing, I took a break and got dinner. After coming back to the venue and warming up, I money matched both people I lost to, winning both sets, and beating the guy I lost to in losers 3-0 with a 4 stock. My focus was mostly restored. I knew it was a good sign when very little language entered my mind while playing - it was just melee and my opponent.

So after a frustrating and disappointing tournament, I definitely think there’s something I can take from this, but I’m not sure exactly how to turn that into a tool to help my mentality at future tournaments. Obviously in money matches, there’s not only less on the line but I was also out of the tournament already, so there’s far less pressure. It’s tempting to assume I play poorly under pressure and to try to limit personal pressure in the future, but historically that’s not always true, and in tournament you’re under pressure by definition, since somethings on the line when you play (your placement).

I’ll note that my best performances always come in high pressure situations where I feel nothing at all: the times where I know my opponent is sweating yet I feel in total control and end up winning. It is just that I feel like I have almost no control of maintaining that crystal clear focus for prolonged periods of time. Even when I’m warmed up technically, it usually takes a really long time for me to be “mentally” warmed up. Sometimes it takes me like over 2 hours of playing to feel like I can quickly and clearly think throughout an entire melee match the way I want.

Thanks for reading. In short, my anecdote leads me to a couple questions I’d like to ask you if you don’t mind!

What can you do to more quickly “mentally” warm up? That is be able to think quickly and clearly, eliminate language, eliminate negative self-talk, so that you may be able to focus on the opponent, react to what happens on screen, and do so without thinking about tech, assuming your hands are warmed up.

What can you do to grapple with personal pressure? I feel it is not realistic to erase all pressure, or else then you wouldn’t care about how you do. I felt the least pressure when going to the stacked regional and doing the money matches, but the most pressure when going to my local with significantly much less competition than the regional. I’ve done well in similarly sized locals before, yet this time the expectation to do well really got to me.

Lastly, I’m wondering about what you think of taking breaks. I had a lot of new ideas from that regional, and I was so excited to test them at the local but I did not adequately get to do so. After what happened I’m not sure if I should take a break or if I should suck it up and power through and go to another tourney. If I do break, should I still try to do analysis, or just not think about melee at all? With furthering growth in the game in mind, I’m not exactly sure what kind of break I should take or for how long, or to take one at all. I’ve been playing for a few years but have only really started taking melee seriously for about a year, so if you could share any of your experience with this mentality stuff that would be immensely helpful!

Thanks PP :^)

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I'm finding that a lot of the execution I am trying to do when I am playing in friendlies or in tournament I am still messing up a lot, despite the fact that I am solo practicing those techniques. I feel like there's something to do with trying to string all of the tech together when playing an opponent that I have to pay attention to that I struggle with staying technically consistent. How do I remedy this? Right now my plan is to just grind playing other people with a focus on my own execution.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
I'm finding that a lot of the execution I am trying to do when I am playing in friendlies or in tournament I am still messing up a lot, despite the fact that I am solo practicing those techniques. I feel like there's something to do with trying to string all of the tech together when playing an opponent that I have to pay attention to that I struggle with staying technically consistent. How do I remedy this? Right now my plan is to just grind playing other people with a focus on my own execution.
neat, I come back to this thread and someone is talking about what I was just about to post.

I don't mean this as a way to put anyone down for not practicing hard, since not everyone has to become top 5, etc. Basically this is my part of a conversation with someone on people dropping off after realizing just what it takes to master this game (and anything, really. Piano, guitar, you name it. Tennis, etc). Somewhere between 2-5 hours of practice daily/somewhat daily, for years. There's a ton of little subtle things one can mess up. A huge number of hours of practice just for a match that will likely not even last 8 minutes. But hey, you only have so many chances at a tournament. It's cutthroat. I think it's necessary to be as prepared as possible.

About it taking years and people quitting after realizing what it takes: Leffen literally practices at airports on his laptop. There's very few players who've logged their 10,000+ hours of practice, and I really do think its that much. When I watch him play he executes even simple things very -
smoothly. even if you practice for 3 hours a day for 365 days, thats just 1095 hours.
I've thought I've been practicing a lot these last 3 years but the reality check is I hardly ever go over 1 hour of practice per day, and its like every other day. I'd just get bored and go play matchups. I'll admit it gets boring after even just half an hour for me. It's a lot of discipline. and I'll find myself off balance in neutral very often still, I think because of this. I think a lot of practice is -
having phenomenal execution in neutral so that you dont make any missteps.
Even at the tip top level there's very very few players that train that much. Leffen and PPMD come to mind. WIth floaties its probably 10k hours of matchups and less tech

Last edited:

Reyjavik

Smash Apprentice
neat, I come back to this thread and someone is talking about what I was just about to post.

I don't mean this as a way to put anyone down for not practicing hard, since not everyone has to become top 5, etc. Basically this is my part of a conversation with someone on people dropping off after realizing just what it takes to master this game (and anything, really. Piano, guitar, you name it. Tennis, etc). Somewhere between 2-5 hours of practice daily/somewhat daily, for years. There's a ton of little subtle things one can mess up. A huge number of hours of practice just for a match that will likely not even last 8 minutes. But hey, you only have so many chances at a tournament. It's cutthroat. I think it's necessary to be as prepared as possible.

About it taking years and people quitting after realizing what it takes: Leffen literally practices at airports on his laptop. There's very few players who've logged their 10,000+ hours of practice, and I really do think its that much. When I watch him play he executes even simple things very -
smoothly. even if you practice for 3 hours a day for 365 days, thats just 1095 hours.
I've thought I've been practicing a lot these last 3 years but the reality check is I hardly ever go over 1 hour of practice per day, and its like every other day. I'd just get bored and go play matchups. I'll admit it gets boring after even just half an hour for me. It's a lot of discipline. and I'll find myself off balance in neutral very often still, I think because of this. I think a lot of practice is -
having phenomenal execution in neutral so that you dont make any missteps.
Even at the tip top level there's very very few players that train that much. Leffen and PPMD come to mind. WIth floaties its probably 10k hours of matchups and less tech
Yea, I have seen how much I go down after not consistently prac/playing for two weeks recently. Only started up daily prac again on Sunday but was so frustrated with how I was playing that I tried to blame the game which fed more into my anger. Doesn't help the large amount of money I spent on new controller has been a waste with it being really bad for shield drops.
I've been trying to get back into reading more after trying to master CCing lately. Your post makes me feel a lot better as I feel I'm moving so slow to get fundamentals down but then you help remind how much it takes for this game.
Rereading guides online from before makes me feel so stupid as there are answers to questions I have now that I didn't realize/acknowledge the first time around reading.

So I'm curious, in my struggle to get better I realized I don't know what fundamentals are all around. I found a good post after digging for a while on it, but feel I also want to increase not only my own knowledge of the subject but others as well through videos. Would people be interested you think? That way I get to be more knowledgeable of the game and help others at the same time

Last edited:

Twinkles

Smash Lord
So I'm curious, in my struggle to get better I realized I don't know what fundamentals are all around. I found a good post after digging for a while on it, but feel I also want to increase not only my own knowledge of the subject but others as well through videos. Would people be interested you think? That way I get to be more knowledgeable of the game and help others at the same time
Honestly, yeah. At least, it's useful content and it's good to have somewhere to point to for new players when they wanna pick up "fundamentals". I talked about this small while ago with a newer player, who said there's so many reliable resources to learn how to L-cancel, but no guides for stuff like "Stage Control for Dummies".

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
PP how do you beat tech bair in the marth ditto?

I feel like you should tipper dtilt to get more frame advantage after they tech but idk what to do afterwards.
I late Fair then either shield or am spaced away from Bair. Then I SH OOS and weak Fair them off or WD down OOS Dtilt them off and then it's easier to kill iirc.

I think you can Dtilt and move in too but that isn't as reliable for me.

Not a question but I don’t think this gets said enough, thank you ppmd and everyone else in this thread for STILL posting and helping each other to get better. Such a unique and amazing resource and most people would’ve stopped responding a long time ago or just never started in the first place. The love for melee won’t die as long as pp is alive
Absolutely! Definitely needed to see this today too with so much activity haha, but all the same I really do love Melee and want to help people =)

https://youtu.be/iMJDiUH3kAA?t=7 What are you thinking about when dealing with Fox at low percent on a top platform, before your aerials knock down? Also in this clip you pause for a moment and then begin a DD in rhythm with Fox - what does this allow you to do?

https://youtu.be/iMJDiUH3kAA?t=20 Is this SH slowfall Fair so you can confirm whatever immediate ledge option Fox chooses (and you just messed up the timing)? What I'm wondering is if you can sometimes sort the options you're covering into a particular timing, and you can more or less beat everything as long as it's within that timing you're covering. (Not sure if this, if accurate, is unique to Marth, but it'd probably be something he could do more than other characters because his hitboxes often can't be challenged.) Did you choose the SH because of the awkward way you entered the position, which meant you couldn't set up the spot you would "ideally" play it from?

https://youtu.be/iMJDiUH3kAA?t=31 When you cancel dash in to dash back like in this clip, do you consider the individual cut dashes to be enough stimulus in themselves for your opponent to respond to? Or in a situation like this, are you conditioning with just the fact you could dash in here to bait the Fox Nair?
Different question, but if Fox wasn't invincible here, would zoning be a fine alternative to moving in this situation? When Fox is approaching, what is it that characterizes the situations we should zone and the situations we should move?

https://youtu.be/iMJDiUH3kAA?t=70 Something I see you do quite often is to dash or WD back when you anticipate (is it anticipation?) your opponent coming off the ledge, and out of that movement back confirm their ledge option. What are the factors you weigh when considering whether to dash or WD back? Also, what are the times when you would NOT want to move back like this?
Baiting him to attack usually, but if he's more defensive then I'll look to harass him with SH Uair or FH/DJ Bair/Fair. I moved to one side to lure him to attack that way.

Yeah basically. And yeah, basically. Marth is pretty good about these things as you said. Sword big.

Yes and no for individual stimulus. It can influence them, but that doesn't mean it will. The point anyway vs invincible Fox is just to trick him several times since it's a smaller stage, so I'm mostly encouraging him to enter run here to make it harder to cut what he's doing, while allowing me access to dash back if needed. Going frame by frame, it looks like he started his attack before I even set any DD up really. Zoning is okay here, but certainly riskier than grab in some ways. Zoning is better when you can get more off of it at mid and high percents of course, and when you have space to set it up and mix it up well. So it's not so bad here, but a bit concerning if you can't fully space safely.

It usually is anticipation, especially if it's a WD. Getting close discourages refresh, which helps with punish, and WD helps with holding down and getting enough space while giving access to Dtilt and not having to pivot for Fsmash or Fair unlike dash. Dash is faster and also helps you move back in if they refresh and can potentially allow you to hit them, depending on how they refresh etc. Anyway, I like this idea of mine a lot because I haven't seen it fully utilized by many so I recommend experimenting. Also for not moving back, I do that more when they show they will refresh anyway.

A very big difference I notice between top players and everyone else is their ability to recognize frame-tight situations and act out of it. An example could be Marth hitting Fox (low percent) with a late tipper fair during a scramble situation, and the Fox recognizes he isn't knocked down and immediately acts out of it with a FH or something, whereas a weaker Fox player would probably either panic and hold shield or just stand there from lack of awareness. To some degree, this applies to various execution tests as well.

I think I've played too many weaker players where I thought these situations I can just automatically grab but fails against top players. How can I exercise these sorts of scenarios especially when practicing against weaker players? I feel like now I'm just cheating by them not being sharp about their options.
Well a big part of it is how you get into the situation in the first place. If they were already confused or unsure of a position, then getting hit only intensifies that. But if they're aware they will be hit, or learn a common situation that would normally make them off balance, then they will react in trained ways.

A good way to help yourself think about this while playing other players is to think of what is possible in a given situation. So if you can grab but not before they could spotdodge or dash or jab or shine etc, then think about that and think of how you might beat those even if you get the grab. If you want them to get better and they're willing to listen, you can just tell them about it and if you run the situation a few times it can often get better, though it doesn't solve the problem of being overwhelmed before the position.

Hi PP! Longtime lurker here.

I have a question concerning breaks and their potential effects on progress, as well as how to quickly snap into focus come tournament time.

Recently I’ve been experiencing substantial growth in melee, mainly thorugh regimented analysis since I live in a weak region. A couple weeks ago I attended a stacked Chicago regional (180+ entrants) and got 33rd, beating the 20th seed and had a close set with a fringe top 100 player. Though I lost early in losers top 64, which I felt was influenced by a distinct lack of energy causing lots of SD’s and tech flubs, I was pleased overall with my play that day, and felt a distinct growth in my melee. I had so many new ideas born from playing all the best midwestern players at that tournament and felt excited to attend something soon.

A week later, I go to an Indiana (where I’m from) local of about 100 entrants sprinkled in with some really good out of state players. What resulted was one of my worst performances in a while; I placed 25th, and I had trouble sustaining focus like never before. Given what I had shown to be able to do a week ago along with lots of new ideas, I put a lot of pressure on myself to try and at least top 8, however the lack of focus compounded with the pressure to do well either caused or exacerbated a negative mindset, which didn’t really ever get better. Every game I’d be struggling to focus the way I want on the opponent, and on my final stock I’d barely claw back the win with sometimes 2-3 stock comeback, all fueled by telling myself that there’s absolutely no way I can lose this early. Win or lose I’d come out of each set horrified with my performance. I was in a spot where I simultaneously didn’t want to lose yet also didn’t want to be there.

After eventually losing, I took a break and got dinner. After coming back to the venue and warming up, I money matched both people I lost to, winning both sets, and beating the guy I lost to in losers 3-0 with a 4 stock. My focus was mostly restored. I knew it was a good sign when very little language entered my mind while playing - it was just melee and my opponent.

So after a frustrating and disappointing tournament, I definitely think there’s something I can take from this, but I’m not sure exactly how to turn that into a tool to help my mentality at future tournaments. Obviously in money matches, there’s not only less on the line but I was also out of the tournament already, so there’s far less pressure. It’s tempting to assume I play poorly under pressure and to try to limit personal pressure in the future, but historically that’s not always true, and in tournament you’re under pressure by definition, since somethings on the line when you play (your placement).

I’ll note that my best performances always come in high pressure situations where I feel nothing at all: the times where I know my opponent is sweating yet I feel in total control and end up winning. It is just that I feel like I have almost no control of maintaining that crystal clear focus for prolonged periods of time. Even when I’m warmed up technically, it usually takes a really long time for me to be “mentally” warmed up. Sometimes it takes me like over 2 hours of playing to feel like I can quickly and clearly think throughout an entire melee match the way I want.

Thanks for reading. In short, my anecdote leads me to a couple questions I’d like to ask you if you don’t mind!

What can you do to more quickly “mentally” warm up? That is be able to think quickly and clearly, eliminate language, eliminate negative self-talk, so that you may be able to focus on the opponent, react to what happens on screen, and do so without thinking about tech, assuming your hands are warmed up.

What can you do to grapple with personal pressure? I feel it is not realistic to erase all pressure, or else then you wouldn’t care about how you do. I felt the least pressure when going to the stacked regional and doing the money matches, but the most pressure when going to my local with significantly much less competition than the regional. I’ve done well in similarly sized locals before, yet this time the expectation to do well really got to me.

Lastly, I’m wondering about what you think of taking breaks. I had a lot of new ideas from that regional, and I was so excited to test them at the local but I did not adequately get to do so. After what happened I’m not sure if I should take a break or if I should suck it up and power through and go to another tourney. If I do break, should I still try to do analysis, or just not think about melee at all? With furthering growth in the game in mind, I’m not exactly sure what kind of break I should take or for how long, or to take one at all. I’ve been playing for a few years but have only really started taking melee seriously for about a year, so if you could share any of your experience with this mentality stuff that would be immensely helpful!

Thanks PP :^)
Hello longtime lurker!

Your experience is not a foreign one to my own experiences, and those of many others I've helped. I have come to believe that a lot of this focus problem comes from two places, with one being bigger than the other. The bigger one is tension. Tension restricts breathing, clouds the mind, screws up the hands, and fouls emotion. Where does this tension come from? Tension comes from a lack of enjoyment and placing judgments and worries on yourself. "What if I lose? Will people now lose confidence in me? Was my own past experience a fluke I only say I wonder if other people worry about?" And so on. Relaxed but serious play allows for easy breathing and heightened reactions, and is borne from confidence and excitement, not to mention curiosity for things like testing out the new ideas you mentioned. So then this is just like the pressure problem in that it will not escape and will only grow more powerful as your skill improves. It's best considered part of the life of a competitor, but also a way to get more deeply into yourself and become more aware overall. Anyway, I believe you put pressure on yourself after that regional. You HAD to make top 8, and if you didn't....? The last part is what got you. Playing not to lose is worse than playing to win, every single time. Playing to learn and playing for fun and for the thrill of competing will be the surefire mode to be in to improve.

The other reason for tension and lack of focus will be things you hear about more often. Sleep, practice, exercise, are often said to be big culprits and can help, as well as meditation. These habits will also really help you warm up as I've noticed. You can be in a perpetual state of warmed up if you do these things well and combine them with mentally playing, which has been shown to activate neurons and muscles AS IF you were actually playing.

So now for breaks. I think a break is usually a way to avoid the pain associated with the game, and not a way to solve the problem. I think breaks can be helpful, but overall I have yet to see them fix issues, but occasionally allow people to sort out something taking their attention from the game. Usually it doesn't do any good, and just pushes people farther from the game though.

Hope this helps!

Put your actions in simple 2-3 action strings that you would use in tournament. Mix dash in WD back with dash in Fair in place, and mix what to do after each as their own set. Then you can directly do the things you practice vs people and get real feedback.

Couldn't hurt. Fundamentals gets thrown around wayyy too much with little explanation. I think even top players define fundamentals differently(in parts at least), and this isn't discussed at all. Cactus categorizes tech skill and punish as a similar/same fundamental, while I do not for example. But anyway, that probably isn't helping and I think you should post what you find.

Last edited:

maxono1

Smash Cadet
i had a similar thing with wavedashes esp out of shield when my opponent is pressuring me/invincible. normally my wavedashes are very clean but in those situations i fullhopped very often which led me to getting punished.
another thing is when practicing spacie ledgedashing for fun i could do it ok as well but when i think i want to do it as fast as possible or frame perfect then i almost always got the tournament winner which is very frustrating.
i think what will help you is realizing that your conscious and subconscious thoughts influence your execution and you can practice that by recreating the situation in your head or visualiation as it is commonly called.
also pls say if something is unclear i want to improve how i articulate myself.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
i had a similar thing with wavedashes esp out of shield when my opponent is pressuring me/invincible. normally my wavedashes are very clean but in those situations i fullhopped very often which led me to getting punished.
another thing is when practicing spacie ledgedashing for fun i could do it ok as well but when i think i want to do it as fast as possible or frame perfect then i almost always got the tournament winner which is very frustrating.
i think what will help you is realizing that your conscious and subconscious thoughts influence your execution and you can practice that by recreating the situation in your head or visualiation as it is commonly called.
also pls say if something is unclear i want to improve how i articulate myself.
For me it's not clear to me how exactly I would "visualize" those errors that I am making or those situations that often cause me to do errors when I can simply look back at a recording of myself in those moments and trying to break down what went wrong and what I didn't understand. Usually I find something that makes sense to me in hindsight but then trying to reapply that when I'm actually playing takes a lot of focus and can be frustrating if the situation comes up and you mess it up. Besides just grinding the game more and working more on the technical errors that I am making, both in solo practice and in friendlies, I don't know what else would work.

maxono1

Smash Cadet
yeah looking at the recording and breaking down what went wrong is the best option to find the solutions and understand the situation better.
what im trying to say is that after that while you do the solo practice and are ironing out your errors you imagine the context of the situation you messed up in.
for example you imagine being last stock against a stronger player you're about to upset and you dont wanna mess it up or any other high stakes situation.
or another thing i like to do is practicing my execution while not looking at my character but looking at the cpu or some part of the stage.
when you do that you can check if you can do the tech or sequence of actions or whatever in a situation where you're maybe distracted by something else or having to look at the other character or if you can only do it in an isolated situation.
it helps me prepare for when i need to use it better than just doing it in a "practice" setting.

rousd

Smash Rookie
Hey PP I was just wondering about how you go about starting/practicing meditation? I think I understand the basics of it, particularly focusing on your breath. Do you have a particular routine when it comes to practicing meditation and how/when to apply it in high pressure situations?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I would say start once a day, in the morning when you get up, for 15-30 minutes. Concentrate on your breathing, and if your focus wanders, just notice it and return it to your breathing. Focus on air going through your nose, filling your lungs, and the release your body feels as you exhale. Do it before bed to help with sleep, and extend the time as you can. The more you do it, the more you can stay calm at all times, and the better things like taking a deep breath will make you feel mid-set.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
PP, when corner pressuring Falcon, how do you cover their jumps? Especially when they escape to side/top platform? Is it a read or reaction? What about the mixup between Falcon doing an immediate aerial OoS before I hit his shield, or after fairing their shield Falcon aerials OoS?

If it's a read, then how can I punish Falcon's jump and also be relatively low risk if I'm wrong in case Falcon rolls or something? I feel like I don't understand Falcon's corner options well and am a bit jealous of spacies ease of shield pressuring Falcon.

Regarding Fox's FH + DJ bait, do I have to accept the risk of FH drill and wait out the DJ, or is there a safer scout Marth can do to maneuver FH drill as well?

Last edited:
Top Bottom