• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
oh awesome. So would nair be good if you know they're gonna miss tech?

Also is there anything good to take from these leffen marth sets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I2YJ0pHYzA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLRyKusvUoQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57ZtidCNi0I
Nair seemed finnicky when I played with it because the first hit they could hold down on and shield vs the second hit or the second hit just missed if you did it asap, but maybe at more mid percents depending on DI it can work better.

Quickly looking through, he plays simply so if you have a game area you need work on then it'll help. He also gets off the edge relatively well iirc.

https://youtu.be/57ZtidCNi0I?t=377

From that timestamp until android dies, do you think there's improvements needed for Leffen's juggle or he did it near-perfectly.
He should have dashed for a frame or just done a JC grab or maybe Fsmash when he whiffs the Fair around 6:24. Shouldn't have DJ Fair'd at 6:25 should have just done a falling Fair and taken the damage and stage position. Don't agree with the Nair at 6:26 but he probably expected Android not to dodge and grab or counterattack. Then I guess Bthrow was a gamble that didn't pay off but Uthrow is probably better overall. So he misses that difficult edgeguard which you could runoff Fair or WD Dtilt or do some Zain edgecancel slideoff to edge or offstage to hit them I guess as alternate options. Last juggle part was fine.

VMPR

Smash Rookie
Can you break down how to juggle peach to me. I get like the basic concept of expending her resources and hitting her up over and over again but I struggle to find a balance between over committing and under committing and not being able to lead it into a kill. Also the top plat form of battlefield and dreamland are the bane of my existence in juggling her and i dont understand how to play around it

Plumpet

Smash Rookie
I was watching zain vs samus, and I noticed that he jumps a ton in neutral, usually landing with a fair. Is this zoning style good against Samus? It seems like it was working, but I don't really understand why. Samus is a pretty grounded character, and it seems like she could beat jumpy Marths with dash attack, or CC the fair. Hugs did that in this set, but Zain still got away with it a lot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49nIorrq3zc
Zain also does these fairs a lot against sheik, even when she's grounded. Obviously he makes them work, but I don't usually have as much success with them as he does in either of these matchups.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Can you break down how to juggle peach to me. I get like the basic concept of expending her resources and hitting her up over and over again but I struggle to find a balance between over committing and under committing and not being able to lead it into a kill. Also the top plat form of battlefield and dreamland are the bane of my existence in juggling her and i dont understand how to play around it
Get on the top platform so she can't go there when possible. As she moves, stay a bit at an angle below her to force her to one side and also set up your Fair/Utilt better. Once you've forced her to a side then you can begin Fair'ing into Ken Combo or pushing her back up, etc. Sometimes you have to pivot or shield grab. Sometimes you have to grab/Utilt/Fsmash her landing, or pressure it if the position you were in wasn't good. Beyond that I'd need specifics such as actual situations in a match or one you memorized or specific options you struggle with.

I was watching zain vs samus, and I noticed that he jumps a ton in neutral, usually landing with a fair. Is this zoning style good against Samus? It seems like it was working, but I don't really understand why. Samus is a pretty grounded character, and it seems like she could beat jumpy Marths with dash attack, or CC the fair. Hugs did that in this set, but Zain still got away with it a lot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49nIorrq3zc
Zain also does these fairs a lot against sheik, even when she's grounded. Obviously he makes them work, but I don't usually have as much success with them as he does in either of these matchups.
Rewatching most of the first stock, he opts to Dtilt a lot and then control space in front of himself/Samus with Fair to beat her coming in or attempting to tilt/DA his jump. He occasionally drifts deeper with it as a mixup. This helps establish respect of your immediate space and then allows you to push that respect zone toward the opponent.

Plumpet

Smash Rookie
Are there any good sets to watch where a marth shuts down sheik's jumping with fair? I'm having a lot of trouble beating her jumps so a visual would help a lot

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
Last edited:

Birdsnest

Smash Rookie
Ive been getting better in the sheik matchup but I have no clue what to do against jumping needles without a read. I end up losing three quarters of the stage when they do platform needles unless I get under them preemptively. What are some of my safe tools against platform needles and needles in general.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
If you're too far away, then you can either dash FH to get an angle that lets you hit them but dodges needles, or just wait and go in the next opportunity vs platform needles. Vs FH Needles, you can SH over needles that land near you so you can pressure Sheik's landing sometimes depending on how many needles she throws and such. Against ground needles if you get close then Sheik can be at a disadvantage after throwing them so it can pay to move in if you suspect she will throw. Generally, being close enough to threaten her charging is a good overall gameplan.

VMPR

Smash Rookie
This is a big situation im having trouble in when shes above you and you cant land in time to pressure her with out a huge risk. right now i just try to full hop up air through the plat form but obviously thats limited and if I guess the timing of her dropping her stall above the plat form wrong it kinda drops the whole situation. I also end up over committing alot and throwing my position to try to circumvent the previously mentioned issue

maclo4

Smash Apprentice
Watching squid vs zain I noticed zain jumps a LOT more than conventional wisdom would say is good against falco. I think the reason he can do it is that hes so good at timing his jumps so that he gets hit by laser at a good height to fair at, and is really good at other mixups out of taking laser in the air (waveland back for example, or just reacting when the laser isnt high enough to hit him). On paper I feel like it shoudnt be good cause of the limited options, but obviously he makes is work. Idrk where the question in this is but I thought itd be interesting to hear other ppls thoughts

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
This is a big situation im having trouble in when shes above you and you cant land in time to pressure her with out a huge risk. right now i just try to full hop up air through the plat form but obviously thats limited and if I guess the timing of her dropping her stall above the plat form wrong it kinda drops the whole situation. I also end up over committing alot and throwing my position to try to circumvent the previously mentioned issue
I'd FH DJ so you can hit her on the way up regardless. Ideally you want to be on the top platform before she gets that low though.

Watching squid vs zain I noticed zain jumps a LOT more than conventional wisdom would say is good against falco. I think the reason he can do it is that hes so good at timing his jumps so that he gets hit by laser at a good height to fair at, and is really good at other mixups out of taking laser in the air (waveland back for example, or just reacting when the laser isnt high enough to hit him). On paper I feel like it shoudnt be good cause of the limited options, but obviously he makes is work. Idrk where the question in this is but I thought itd be interesting to hear other ppls thoughts
Jumping can also beat aerials in, so by mixing in jumps it keeps Falco away I imagine. You just need to be decently spaced because Falco could still hit or pressure you out of lasering your jump if he's kinda close.

maxono1

Smash Cadet
yo pp i was reading your apex 2015 ama
i think i get every aspect of your neutral game (conceptually) like visual cues, rhythm, conditioning and the quick attacks except for the audio cues.
how the hell can you use audio cues in the neutral game??
the only way i use audio cues ever is for spacie side b edgeguards and reacting to spotdodge or roll

edit: also b4 i forget thank you for making this thread, just reading here helped me understand this game and marth a lot more

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Audio can be for laser startup, Marth makes a noise when he shields but also when he/Sheik WDs for example, listening for the "autah" from Fox helps you know if the opponent is rattled or potentially weak technically in one area, etc.

Also Cactuar made this thread, but I'm glad to have given it a modern purpose in this day and age. It's nice to help!

maxono1

Smash Cadet
Audio can be for laser startup, Marth makes a noise when he shields but also when he/Sheik WDs for example, listening for the "autah" from Fox helps you know if the opponent is rattled or potentially weak technically in one area, etc.

Also Cactuar made this thread, but I'm glad to have given it a modern purpose in this day and age. It's nice to help!
thx ill try to listen for the laser startup in the falco mu. i never knew it was only marth that made a distinct noise when shielding.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
thx ill try to listen for the laser startup in the falco mu. i never knew it was only marth that made a distinct noise when shielding.
Technically all characters make a sound when shielding, but it's so quiet that you can't really hear it when the music is on. Marth's is easier to hear because the sound of him sheathing his sword plays. It's also noticeable when you drop shield.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
https://youtu.be/l4wvr5s24lA?t=132 - Just to make sure I'm getting this juggle situation correctly, here I prime myself at a height where if Sheik doesn't DJ, I uptilt. If she doesn't, I follow her drift and either SH FF upair or WD uptilt?

https://youtu.be/l4wvr5s24lA?t=149 - In these juggle scenarios, very often I find myself whiffing a FH fair because they're so close, and if I land it, it leads to pretty good followups many times. If I'm wrong, then often I get killed from it. Should I always be SH fair instead or go for fsmash?

https://youtu.be/l4wvr5s24lA?t=154 - somehow, I developed an instinct to just cross up fsmash to beat this kind of juggle scenario when I can afford this situation, I just needed to be a bit faster. Do you think this is the best course of action?

https://youtu.be/l4wvr5s24lA?t=207 - Although I said earlier that if SH fair might be better in general, I think overall the more fundamental problem with my juggles is that I don't dash a frame more, but I keep thinking that if I don't strike now, then they land and shield on time.

https://youtu.be/l4wvr5s24lA?t=335 - Do you think it's still best to chase down even after whiffing an uptilt?

What do you do when juggling Marth on FD, he drifts away towards the corner while landing with retreating falling fair? In general I find this very hard to punish and often I get turn-around by this. Do you think I should punish this drift away or let Marth hang in the corner?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
At 0 it's harder to get the Utilt if she falls with full DI, but otherwise yeah pretty much. I think considering Dthrow here after a pummel could be good too.

I think you may have dashed a frame too long or something because dash FH Fair should definitely work there. You could probably do some SH Fair or SH either Fair or DJ Fair if they fall or land and dash FH Fair etc if they jump, etc.

I wouldn't say so, at least not in this instance anyway. He's likely to get back to the edge or get some other mixup as a result of getting Fsmashed this direction. Sometimes it's probably okay though. However, if Sheik sees you never try to get under her with Utilt/Uair/etc then when you get under she may just start drifting back past you and Bair'ing so she can hit your outstretched arm. Also in general I'm more of a fan of taking safe hits that lead into opportunities than risks like this, but this play in general isn't so bad if you know how to get those safer hits too.

Yeah just go to where they are. If you have to SH Uair/Fair on the way over to ensure you get to a better position faster then do it. Funny thing is here if you just dashed a bit longer then Fair still would have worked. You should probably just take a practice partner and Uthrow them a bunch to get used to this so you don't feel that panic.

Overall that worked out pretty great for you. Got more damage and a strong position, so yeah I'd say so lol.

Depends on how close you are. You can get under with Fair yourself, but if you think he will let the Fair get out then either move in and Dtilt his landing to pressure/hit or grab his landing lag if you get close enough. Otherwise SH in as he lands so you can Fair his landing if you want, or just stay close for positional pressure as you said.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
When setting throws vs Samus on FD/PS, at higher percents would upthrow be good because Samus really doesn't have much options to threat/going down from being so high up there? Or would you still opt to throw towards corner, even if they DI down and away to force a tech chase.

I also have some abstract questions about various situations of the game that I've been pondering for a bit, which I'd like your input in these. Might affect how I further view the game.

Say, if there's a strategy in Melee where if you just have a guaranteed leeway to win a matchup/situation (like camping platforms, playing super evasive like only dashing back or circle camping, only planking) with nearly no counterplay, would you take it? If not, would it be because you ultimately learn little about competing in the game due to lack of interactions? Even in the face of absurd risks associated with interacting? (Dealing with invincibility, wobbling, timing out someone with a stitch, etc.)

Another abstract question is regarding Marth as a long-ranged character. There's strategies with Marth where he has very quick attacks and mobility, thus he has leeways to make medium/low risks while making long ranged threats, designed and bound to make a response. So logically, you might as well utilize Marth's tools like that. It is very likely to set you up for a decent positional advantage where you are likely to win but not necessarily guaranteed. Conversely, Marth can go for a huge read with big payoffs (like fsmash) to probably secure a stock. Even when you are very sure of a read being right, would it be logical to go for the big read, or perhaps save it when it really matters or not have the opponent think about where they messed up from getting fsmashed? I can say for sure that fsmash definitely garners a response more than dash dancing or dtilt has ever done for me.

If you can mind-read an opponent where you literally know everything they're going to do, would you simply only do options that beats their options with nothing fancy? What I mean by this is you set up your dash dance to garner some type of response you know your opponent is going to do with your observation. If you know your opponent's intentions, is there a point of dash dancing or setting up low-medium risk commitments --> low reward?

When dash backing a good amount and also the opponent dashes forward for an attack, how can you be so sure that the opponent doesn't have tricks to avoid a high-reward retaliation with pivot grab? I sometimes fall for the trap of the infamous "Marth dash dancing in the corner to get pivot grab" and get punished like getting overshot, aerial shine DJ, SH feint to DJ platform, etc.. I've been combating this with simply zoning in place so I don't have to deal with the additional mixup, but it does lose me out in a higher reward opportunity. What are your thoughts on this scenario?

Also, today marks the day where I attended my very first tournament 2 years ago. It's been quite the journey, and you've helped a lot in my learning process. I look forward learning more in this game.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I am getting confused on knowing when to do rising fair against most characters when they are on the ground. I either will run up rising fair or instead delay the fair and fast fall at the end. I have the habit of doing rising fair with full intention of doing double fair in a short hop, but I'm wondering are there better things to do after the rising fair? Would immediately fast falling after that be useful? I'm specifically talking about doing rising fair against a grounded opponent, as I know this is different for an opponent who has jumped.

Against someone on the ground it usually feels better to do a late fair and then get a grab on them afterwards if they don't CC it, and if they do CC it, I can react and dash away. Rising fair here feels like if my first fair gets CCed, that I can just fair again on the way down but I feel like that's too easy to blow up, especially against a Fox or Falco. Would it be better to do rising fair in place and not try to drift forward at all? Would it be good to have the rising fair go forward a little but start retreating on the descending fair? Should I even do rising fair at all as a neutral swing?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
When setting throws vs Samus on FD/PS, at higher percents would upthrow be good because Samus really doesn't have much options to threat/going down from being so high up there? Or would you still opt to throw towards corner, even if they DI down and away to force a tech chase.

I also have some abstract questions about various situations of the game that I've been pondering for a bit, which I'd like your input in these. Might affect how I further view the game.

Say, if there's a strategy in Melee where if you just have a guaranteed leeway to win a matchup/situation (like camping platforms, playing super evasive like only dashing back or circle camping, only planking) with nearly no counterplay, would you take it? If not, would it be because you ultimately learn little about competing in the game due to lack of interactions? Even in the face of absurd risks associated with interacting? (Dealing with invincibility, wobbling, timing out someone with a stitch, etc.)

Another abstract question is regarding Marth as a long-ranged character. There's strategies with Marth where he has very quick attacks and mobility, thus he has leeways to make medium/low risks while making long ranged threats, designed and bound to make a response. So logically, you might as well utilize Marth's tools like that. It is very likely to set you up for a decent positional advantage where you are likely to win but not necessarily guaranteed. Conversely, Marth can go for a huge read with big payoffs (like fsmash) to probably secure a stock. Even when you are very sure of a read being right, would it be logical to go for the big read, or perhaps save it when it really matters or not have the opponent think about where they messed up from getting fsmashed? I can say for sure that fsmash definitely garners a response more than dash dancing or dtilt has ever done for me.

If you can mind-read an opponent where you literally know everything they're going to do, would you simply only do options that beats their options with nothing fancy? What I mean by this is you set up your dash dance to garner some type of response you know your opponent is going to do with your observation. If you know your opponent's intentions, is there a point of dash dancing or setting up low-medium risk commitments --> low reward?

When dash backing a good amount and also the opponent dashes forward for an attack, how can you be so sure that the opponent doesn't have tricks to avoid a high-reward retaliation with pivot grab? I sometimes fall for the trap of the infamous "Marth dash dancing in the corner to get pivot grab" and get punished like getting overshot, aerial shine DJ, SH feint to DJ platform, etc.. I've been combating this with simply zoning in place so I don't have to deal with the additional mixup, but it does lose me out in a higher reward opportunity. What are your thoughts on this scenario?

Also, today marks the day where I attended my very first tournament 2 years ago. It's been quite the journey, and you've helped a lot in my learning process. I look forward learning more in this game.
I still prefer side throws if you can still hit her out of the tech chase or maybe put her on the edge, which is usually the case. Uthrow is still good, but it suffers from letting her possibly get back toward center and have a chance to cross you up over your head. It can still lead to kills faster sometimes if she's in FH/DJ Uair or Utilt KO range(or KO range from platforms etc) so this can still be worth considering. I find that opting to Uthrow too much is quite draining unless you have a super refined juggle process, but even then it can be better to side throw when you can still get some hits off of it.

I would take the guaranteed. But what I consider guaranteed does not appear to be the same as yours. When I fight Doc as Marth for example, if I get in range to Dtilt/Fair him and never try to grab, I'm basically invalidating his character and I'm getting immediate reward with extremely low risk. If I planked Doc, it's possible I would get less reward and even die from that position. If he waits then over time I can get tired, and over the course of a tournament the planking may not be my ideal strategy. I could even go on to consider how other people would hate me for this lol but that takes this discussion a bit farther than I think you're interested in. Also, consider that these examples all involve hyper defensive play. What do you do if you lose the lead, or don't get it initially? You'd need to fight then. So learning to interact will always be useful even if your primary strategy is camping. Now with invincible people, that can be more interesting of a discussion. As we discussed before, on smaller stages it's really hard to avoid invincible top tiers(especially Fox) so planking can be okay, though Fox still makes this difficult too. However, if you can successfully pull the opponent along toward you, then you can punish them coming out of invincibility a lot I notice and that's how you can get chains of stocks to take. For wobbling, I think Marth bodies ICs due to Dtilt and sometimes Fair so even if he gets less percent per opening, he also gets very strong positions that ICs can do little about. It's like the Doc thing. And for Peach with a stitch, I think there is an amount of time you can wait it out but it's like 30 seconds or something? Believe I've read that before anyway. Regardless I find approaching Peach to be successful since she can't dash attack or Dsmash or do much OOS so it often takes an outplay to hit me I find. But like with most of these, it can be easier or better to wait it out if you don't have everything mapped out. I think it's just better to have the knowledge and be more prepared than less prepared.

I think Marth primarily rewards fundamental play, not reads. That being said, if conditions are like you describe then going for the read is a judgment call. Can you get more out of abusing a habit long term, or would you rather throw them off their habituated patterns? Do you think you could beat their counterplay or do you have a weaker knowledge base? Will they be thrown off by this read, or the next one or two, or will their composure remain strong? Should you do it later in a match for a win, or earlier so they are off balance for the whole game? These are not easy questions to answer and they are very player dependent. I personally like going for it and not going for it because then I am able to play both styles well which is harder to adapt to, and also so I can know the branching paths vs all types of opponents.

This question neglects a major specific to me, and that is percent/stage position/conditioning(sort of). If I could get better reward by waiting a bit or taking less damage and stage position then it may be better to do that. If the opponent is ready for the punish in this position, then letting them whiff and be off balance for example could create the conditions where they poorly DI your grab/hit. However beating them outright also has advantages such as letting them feel less capable of throwing out a move for example and this allows you to threaten for free once they feel unsafe. But it also depends on how hypothetically all-knowing you are. If you know what they'll do long in advance, then setting up hard punishes should be relatively easy. Guess I couldn't answer this more definitely without some parameters.

You can't always grab. Grab is not a big move and not super great in neutral unless you're counterattacking or intercepting sometimes. Fair and Dtilt and sometimes Nair are much better neutral moves. Fair is great because you can often get good reward out of it too, or at least decent damage at lower percent(depends how you hit them like out of the air is great at any percent, etc). If you don't want them mixing you up on approach, then you can push forward first and that can make them rush in more recklessly or shield and give you an opportunity to grab. The point is though that you have to set up grabs and Marth is a zoning character. He is meant to have his range abused and this is what makes him powerful. Once you have opened up that fear, then grabs will come. Being able to play both well is what makes the character truly terrifying. Trying to find ways to pseudo combo out of this position from zoning, and how to zone such that reward could be better, and how to manipulate your movement and zoning to make them get punished harder by a zoning mixup or grab is a good place to look in that particular situation.

Congrats on 2 years! Here's to many more fun ones =)

I am getting confused on knowing when to do rising fair against most characters when they are on the ground. I either will run up rising fair or instead delay the fair and fast fall at the end. I have the habit of doing rising fair with full intention of doing double fair in a short hop, but I'm wondering are there better things to do after the rising fair? Would immediately fast falling after that be useful? I'm specifically talking about doing rising fair against a grounded opponent, as I know this is different for an opponent who has jumped.

Against someone on the ground it usually feels better to do a late fair and then get a grab on them afterwards if they don't CC it, and if they do CC it, I can react and dash away. Rising fair here feels like if my first fair gets CCed, that I can just fair again on the way down but I feel like that's too easy to blow up, especially against a Fox or Falco. Would it be better to do rising fair in place and not try to drift forward at all? Would it be good to have the rising fair go forward a little but start retreating on the descending fair? Should I even do rising fair at all as a neutral swing?
Some good options after rising Fair are empty land(with or without FF), waveland, DJ occasionally. You can also run up retreating rising Fair to make your run up stronger since that can't be contested unless they hit you before the Fair comes out, or they gamble and jump over you, which is unlikely and you can see it coming.

If someone is on the ground, then rising Fair is a risk especially at low percent. You either want them to shield or you want to do mid/late Fair so you have time to get away from their counterplay OR pressure them if they shield after getting hit or something. Also the farther forward you drift the more risk you take. In place or slightly forward is a good play I believe, while retreating is safest but can lose followups sometimes.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
hmm what I moreso mean in the mind-reading question is less so maximizing rewards and moreso the setup of landing such hits. If you knew for sure that a Fox across from stage is going to running shine, there would be no need to dash dance or being aware of various cues or something to counter the running shine right? The fundamental reason why you dash dance is to trick/condition/mixup/observe your opponent for you landing a hit, but if you theoretically know what they're going to do anyways, there's no need to do this?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I suppose so. Indeed Cactuar has showed me time and time again that you don't need to move as much as you think you do since timing and people's own rhythm often encourage them to act in certain ways anyway. Although I guess not even that matters that much if you just always know what they'll do. It's much better to do good things and play the game at people then just move for the sake of moving. Maybe that's a more helpful response.

maxono1

Smash Cadet
What do you do when juggling Marth on FD, he drifts away towards the corner while landing with retreating falling fair? In general I find this very hard to punish and often I get turn-around by this. Do you think I should punish this drift away or let Marth hang in the corner?
dash attack that ****

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
Hey Dr Peepee Dr Peepee

When I think about myself playing a match against someone more than slightly above my level and beyond, and I don't really mean this negatively but it's true and a testament to what I'll mention in a bit...I feel stupid. The challenges that are being presented to me are more than I can currently handle because my current framework for ideas to work with in the game are not compatible to fit with the possibility of beating the opponent. After a long time spent with really hating this, I've stared at this fact and realized it can kind of be a blessing. I feel that I have a lot of raw tech skill, and I've been told that my tech/movement is very unrefined and I agree, but I didn't really understand at the same time what unrefined meant. But I think I have an idea, which ties into my goals for improvement. If I have all this 'raw' tech skill, and I go into a match with only a vague idea of what to try to do against players better than me, then I get bodied, and it's like I'm just pressing buttons with not a whole lot of purpose, or purpose that would only be of use to players at around my skill level. It feels like I'm playing the same way that I'm practicing raw tech skill except that its a tournament match and there's an opponent on the stage with me. Also, it feels like I'm still thinking sometimes too much during my matches, so I want to get my purpose defined well enough where I don't have to think anymore than what would be necessary. I think I'm doing good moves for good moves sake...which miiiight maybe be slightly better sometimes than not knowing what the good moves are and running around aimlessly and might sometimes work in some matchups against not the greatest players, but it's far from doing good things because you're a good player. Purpose is something that's hardly ever documented anywhere other than this thread lol... So I also think that punish game and neutral are kind of intertwined. What I go for in neutral could be related/the same as what I'd go for as a punish if that makes sense? Does knowing what to look for to punish with whether as a hard punish that leads to big damage or stage advantage or a little punish/psuedo combo like with dtilts or dashing forward-wavedash back lead into what to do in neutral? Edit number 9000: lets say as an example a marth is fighting luigi, and the marth wants to dash dance a lot. Conventional knowledge of marth v luigi is to use fair and dtilt in neutral a lot and to not move as much. Is the dash dancing OK as long as it leads eventually into fair and dtilt, as long as it leads into what is known to work usually against the character? In matchups where you say you dont want to move as much, I see you move a fair bit. Is it that you're breaking the rules because you know the rules well? (I told myself I would leave this post as is like 10 sentences ago but the further the rabit hole I go the more questions I have). In a tournament set I move less when I feel scared. The more confident I feel the more I move and the better I feel. I want to get to the point to where I can have that more often than not. What's really blowing my mind right now is that in situations I see you in that I would be put in, you're hardly shielding at all. You keep moving, or at least stay actionable. I find myself way more scared like a deer in headlights more often than I feel confident enough to move around. This is really apparent in matchups like Sheik, Samus, the Mario bros including luigi, and climbers, which are matchups I find myself swinging a lot in and staying behind my shield, and matchups I see a lot of players do the same in, but not as much from you. And maybe you would advocate moving less in those matchups and that's probably fine, but you make quite the case for moving and it looks like that's fine too as long as it leads to something worth while.

Ok, so thinking about the question of Kotastic Kotastic you answered about guaranteed stuff, about fighting back if you fall behind and interacting...I think one of the risks of learning to interact with the opponent is that if you interact and you're wrong, it could probably lead to you getting punished hard or wobbled or something. Which I think is what I sometimes try to do in tournament when that's probably not the time and place to learn such a thing that if not done well leads to losing a lot. So if Marth is designed the way he is, is there a particular range/ranges you'd want to be at when playing close to the opponent because his sword range is so long? Like...imagine that I'm Marth against Sheik and I'm on the other side of the stage as her. I'm dash dancing and she's doing sheik stuff, and I'm fairing and nairing and whatever zoning stuff you can think of. The threat isn't really there. We're too far apart. We get closer...the threats become more apparent. I get closer...then I get too close and then it's like I'm over doing it, then I've faired her shield at the wrong space and she hits me. I guess what I'm asking about is like finding some sort of sweet spot where I could purposefully use my tools to my advantage while being able to react to them/zone them/keep them guessing. I guess any matchup could be used as an example. I don't want to always be too far away where my tools are aimless, but not too close to where I'm overextending too far or putting out hitboxes that land in inopportune spots. Thinking about the opponent, they're also doing things at a certain distance like throwing out hitboxes, putting up shields, dash dancing, looking for openings. But it's like...among all of that it looks like theres purpose behind it, but if there's not a whole lot of purpose behind my play, and I'm able to beat people and win sometimes, how is it that I'm winning? I have no idea where this question is going since it might take a bit more posts to flesh this out here, but I guess what I'm asking about is Purpose with a capital P.. It's like, the opponent is also doing as much as they can to make it difficult for me to get things started, and so am I, and the level at which they make it more difficult raises with skill level it seems. The tools remain the same, but the purpose and use behind the tools deepens, and real expert use of those tools looks simple on the surface but to get there seems like a real complex endeavor. Getting there, developing those uses and purposes is the question. I might not be in the place to say this because i'm not at the level but even at high level play like top 25-20-or 15, sometimes you'll see some stuff that doesn't look like it had a ton of use behind it, which is why probably so few players win as much as Armada or Leffen or PPMD (you lol) did, and sometimes those players will get upset losses. Also when watching somebody like you or armada who have these skills, it looks like you're reading or manipulating the opponents mind. With low/mid level/unrefined play I guess of any level, it looks like they're like...kind of making (and I want to tread carefully while stating these things about players as respectfully though critically as I can. Not to say that I understand enough to where I can critique players way better than me.) guesses that are only slightly more than uneducated, almost like hopeful guesses? I'm not exactly sure what to call it but it does not look as 'neat' as play coming from the top. Thoughts?

And finally, what are your thoughts on a stigma against playing neutral game? it's not a huge topic in melee politics but in some circles and with some players it's something that's brought up, like it's wrong to play neutral for too long or that constantly going in is more favored.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I've been doing some visualization lately and I think it's been helping me to be more mentally prepared for tournament situations.

I imagine myself being at a large out of state tournament, in a bracket pool with my last match to make it out of pools on losers side. I've been here numerous times before and here I am with a 3 stock to 1 lead in the first game because I realize I am playing really well and shutting down my opponent's attempts to stop me. Knowing that I have a significant lead, I start to feel hopeful that I will finally make it out of pools at a major out of state tournament, that I'll finally prove to myself that I can do something. But in this moment of mental lapse on achieving a goal before I have completed it, I play much more sloppy and unfocused, and nearly lose the first game. Now I'm on edge. I wasn't respecting my opponent at first and they nearly made a 3-stock comeback on me. Even though I am up a game I'm suddenly scared of my opponent's ability to adapt to me. This thought is stuck with me for all of game 2 and I flub punish after punish due to lack of focus. I lose game 2 and now all I want is to not lose. "I'm so close to making it out! I can't lose now! Why can't I focus?" A sense of panic starts to seep in. My heart is beating at a million miles an hour and my mouth has that incredibly dry sensation when I'm really nervous. Game 3 I get a lead but only for so long. The whole game goes back and forth until the end where it's last stock, I have a slight lead in percent but the threat of losing is still very real to me. "This is it" I tell myself, "I have to finish it here so I can make it out, if I don't then I lose and it's over." Suddenly I realize I have control and am beginning a punish on my opponent. He begins to get nervous. Next thing I know in the middle of the combo I whiff an aerial that allows him to escape and counter-attack, now he is the one punishing me on my last stock. The panic has fully settled in at this point. I'm on full alert to not lose this match and now in the midst of being punished all I can think about is "God I hope he messes this up." In my desperation to get out of the combo, I attempt to double jump at a point that looked good for escape, but if I maintained focus I could have seen that I needed to hold out for a little longer. I lose my double jump. I'm off stage. My fate is sealed. I can't get back onto stage and I'm losing this match. GAME!

My opponent says "GGs", fist bumps me, and then unplugs his controller and is on his way to report the result of the match. I'm sitting there, still shaking and heart still beating, but now I'm entranced in a state of self-deprecating thoughts. Mentally beating myself up over losing a match that I felt like I should have won. I feel the effort that I put into practice slip away as I played because I let my mind slip and lose focus. I have failed myself and my mindset, and now all I want to do is sulk in a corner.

This is one of those visualizations that expounds upon my greatest fears when I put myself on the line for competition. It's a feeling I have gone through many times before and it's one that I fear, even now. Even when I am relaxed at this computer typing these sentences, I was able to replicate a sense of that fear that this situation would produce. I felt a sense of nervousness inside me and even a little rise in my heartbeat by doing visualization like this. By visualizing it in this way though, I feel like I can be more prepared for when the starting signs of this situation happens. I can think about how to refocus myself when I put myself in that mental space.

I would believe that this is one of the ways that I could do mental preparation for tournament, through this visualization. I feel like this is the right direction to take but I am unsure if the process is sound or if there are flaws. Please let me know if there is something I could be doing to get more out of this, or if I need to change my process.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey Dr Peepee Dr Peepee

When I think about myself playing a match against someone more than slightly above my level and beyond, and I don't really mean this negatively but it's true and a testament to what I'll mention in a bit...I feel stupid. The challenges that are being presented to me are more than I can currently handle because my current framework for ideas to work with in the game are not compatible to fit with the possibility of beating the opponent. After a long time spent with really hating this, I've stared at this fact and realized it can kind of be a blessing. I feel that I have a lot of raw tech skill, and I've been told that my tech/movement is very unrefined and I agree, but I didn't really understand at the same time what unrefined meant. But I think I have an idea, which ties into my goals for improvement. If I have all this 'raw' tech skill, and I go into a match with only a vague idea of what to try to do against players better than me, then I get bodied, and it's like I'm just pressing buttons with not a whole lot of purpose, or purpose that would only be of use to players at around my skill level. It feels like I'm playing the same way that I'm practicing raw tech skill except that its a tournament match and there's an opponent on the stage with me. Also, it feels like I'm still thinking sometimes too much during my matches, so I want to get my purpose defined well enough where I don't have to think anymore than what would be necessary. I think I'm doing good moves for good moves sake...which miiiight maybe be slightly better sometimes than not knowing what the good moves are and running around aimlessly and might sometimes work in some matchups against not the greatest players, but it's far from doing good things because you're a good player. Purpose is something that's hardly ever documented anywhere other than this thread lol... So I also think that punish game and neutral are kind of intertwined. What I go for in neutral could be related/the same as what I'd go for as a punish if that makes sense? Does knowing what to look for to punish with whether as a hard punish that leads to big damage or stage advantage or a little punish/psuedo combo like with dtilts or dashing forward-wavedash back lead into what to do in neutral? Edit number 9000: lets say as an example a marth is fighting luigi, and the marth wants to dash dance a lot. Conventional knowledge of marth v luigi is to use fair and dtilt in neutral a lot and to not move as much. Is the dash dancing OK as long as it leads eventually into fair and dtilt, as long as it leads into what is known to work usually against the character? In matchups where you say you dont want to move as much, I see you move a fair bit. Is it that you're breaking the rules because you know the rules well? (I told myself I would leave this post as is like 10 sentences ago but the further the rabit hole I go the more questions I have). In a tournament set I move less when I feel scared. The more confident I feel the more I move and the better I feel. I want to get to the point to where I can have that more often than not. What's really blowing my mind right now is that in situations I see you in that I would be put in, you're hardly shielding at all. You keep moving, or at least stay actionable. I find myself way more scared like a deer in headlights more often than I feel confident enough to move around. This is really apparent in matchups like Sheik, Samus, the Mario bros including luigi, and climbers, which are matchups I find myself swinging a lot in and staying behind my shield, and matchups I see a lot of players do the same in, but not as much from you. And maybe you would advocate moving less in those matchups and that's probably fine, but you make quite the case for moving and it looks like that's fine too as long as it leads to something worth while.

Ok, so thinking about the question of Kotastic Kotastic you answered about guaranteed stuff, about fighting back if you fall behind and interacting...I think one of the risks of learning to interact with the opponent is that if you interact and you're wrong, it could probably lead to you getting punished hard or wobbled or something. Which I think is what I sometimes try to do in tournament when that's probably not the time and place to learn such a thing that if not done well leads to losing a lot. So if Marth is designed the way he is, is there a particular range/ranges you'd want to be at when playing close to the opponent because his sword range is so long? Like...imagine that I'm Marth against Sheik and I'm on the other side of the stage as her. I'm dash dancing and she's doing sheik stuff, and I'm fairing and nairing and whatever zoning stuff you can think of. The threat isn't really there. We're too far apart. We get closer...the threats become more apparent. I get closer...then I get too close and then it's like I'm over doing it, then I've faired her shield at the wrong space and she hits me. I guess what I'm asking about is like finding some sort of sweet spot where I could purposefully use my tools to my advantage while being able to react to them/zone them/keep them guessing. I guess any matchup could be used as an example. I don't want to always be too far away where my tools are aimless, but not too close to where I'm overextending too far or putting out hitboxes that land in inopportune spots. Thinking about the opponent, they're also doing things at a certain distance like throwing out hitboxes, putting up shields, dash dancing, looking for openings. But it's like...among all of that it looks like theres purpose behind it, but if there's not a whole lot of purpose behind my play, and I'm able to beat people and win sometimes, how is it that I'm winning? I have no idea where this question is going since it might take a bit more posts to flesh this out here, but I guess what I'm asking about is Purpose with a capital P.. It's like, the opponent is also doing as much as they can to make it difficult for me to get things started, and so am I, and the level at which they make it more difficult raises with skill level it seems. The tools remain the same, but the purpose and use behind the tools deepens, and real expert use of those tools looks simple on the surface but to get there seems like a real complex endeavor. Getting there, developing those uses and purposes is the question. I might not be in the place to say this because i'm not at the level but even at high level play like top 25-20-or 15, sometimes you'll see some stuff that doesn't look like it had a ton of use behind it, which is why probably so few players win as much as Armada or Leffen or PPMD (you lol) did, and sometimes those players will get upset losses. Also when watching somebody like you or armada who have these skills, it looks like you're reading or manipulating the opponents mind. With low/mid level/unrefined play I guess of any level, it looks like they're like...kind of making (and I want to tread carefully while stating these things about players as respectfully though critically as I can. Not to say that I understand enough to where I can critique players way better than me.) guesses that are only slightly more than uneducated, almost like hopeful guesses? I'm not exactly sure what to call it but it does not look as 'neat' as play coming from the top. Thoughts?

And finally, what are your thoughts on a stigma against playing neutral game? it's not a huge topic in melee politics but in some circles and with some players it's something that's brought up, like it's wrong to play neutral for too long or that constantly going in is more favored.
LMFAO oh boy this will be quite a challenge to hit every point as you mentioned very many things. I hope you'll forgive me for not responding to everything here as I think that could do more harm than good. I believe I'll focus on the idea of purpose and then tie in other things as I can.

Firstly, I would like to say that you're having a very self-aware moment with this post. The honesty in saying you feel you're just doing things to do them, moving some, guessing...this is something most players of any level will never admit. This is not to be understated, as the link between your mental state and growth can often be closely linked.

What is a purposeful Fair? It is one that incorporates a ton of training, testing, trust in the tool, thinking of how it works mechanically(will come back to this), and thereby how it affects the opponent. When I tell you to WD over and over, I'm not being rude. I do it too. The point is to get the tool so deeply into your muscle memory it can become automatic, like breathing. Most people don't practice enough, or do it recklessly, or stop once improvement is seen. Do not underestimate practice. What does a Fair beat? Maybe many things, maybe less things depending on how you use it(late early mid, retreating advancing in place, etc) and what position you use it from. If you are inside Fox SH Nair distance, at what point does your immediate Fair in place lose? What about retreating Fair? What about mid or late Fair? If you hope to be a competitive player, you'd better find answers to these questions in as much detail as possible, such as leaving room for reaction or one of you acting early. Now do this for every matchup, different percent ranges, and different tools. This is how you build a game plan and an understanding of what each tool does. Dashing around is pointless if you aren't often setting up ranges for these interactions you've tested.

Speaking of me moving around, as a quick aside I disagree with how much I moved vs ICs(for example) in my recorded matches. You can technically still make it work as an overall strategy, but moving is better as a mixup compared to a main play.

Now for what I view as potentially the most important/underlooked thing. You want to mechanically dissect your Fair. This means looking at the SH(squat, drift, FF timing, analog jumping, etc) and the move itself(startup, cooldown, active frames and hitboxes,, etc). You want to approach the tool as freshly as you can, thinking of what you can do with it. Fair is an arcing, not constant hitbox for example, so it's spotty for protection. If timed decently the disjoint can beat out most moves. SH means you're doing this in the air, so the move takes longer to get to the ground. Etc etc. If done well, you now have a greater grasp of how to use the tool and can begin innovating on the fly if need be using this fundamental knowledge. Also your opponent will feel the effects of your Fair and will have to readjust. Based on your positional knowledge and understanding of the tool, you can now be informed about how they might beat it both positionally and with what moves based on your study. This can help you cut off their positional play, beat their next option, and generally have an advance read on them. This is how top players do what they do, though I would imagine most would prioritize positional understanding.
If you do this for all matchups and as many positions as you can think of, and you practice well, then your purposefulness WILL improve. The only reason it may not as much as you'd like is if your mind is affected by things such as diet or emotional concerns or other factors that impact your mind. You may need to adjust this process to some extent so that it works best for you, so stay diligent.

Thinking about what to beat and what do is all done before the match and in practice/friendlies, so in tourney you should rely on that knowledge to get you through and then think heavily in between stocks/matches as needed. Friendlies are also for practicing serious mode, so be sure to get both.

Purpose is a deep awareness of positions and tools, stemming from conscious knowledge that goes so deep as to become subconscious and effective knowledge.

For your second question about Kotastic's question, your positional practice and mapping out exactly what you can do and whether it wins or loses will help. If you have a safe play from a farther distance, then you don't have to go for it always. If you have a decently safe but threatening position from closer, you'd want to find that and learn your options there so you can play well there. There is still much between TR and hitting the inside of shield.

I'll stop there for now despite leaving out some specifics. I'd like to know what you think.

I've been doing some visualization lately and I think it's been helping me to be more mentally prepared for tournament situations.

I imagine myself being at a large out of state tournament, in a bracket pool with my last match to make it out of pools on losers side. I've been here numerous times before and here I am with a 3 stock to 1 lead in the first game because I realize I am playing really well and shutting down my opponent's attempts to stop me. Knowing that I have a significant lead, I start to feel hopeful that I will finally make it out of pools at a major out of state tournament, that I'll finally prove to myself that I can do something. But in this moment of mental lapse on achieving a goal before I have completed it, I play much more sloppy and unfocused, and nearly lose the first game. Now I'm on edge. I wasn't respecting my opponent at first and they nearly made a 3-stock comeback on me. Even though I am up a game I'm suddenly scared of my opponent's ability to adapt to me. This thought is stuck with me for all of game 2 and I flub punish after punish due to lack of focus. I lose game 2 and now all I want is to not lose. "I'm so close to making it out! I can't lose now! Why can't I focus?" A sense of panic starts to seep in. My heart is beating at a million miles an hour and my mouth has that incredibly dry sensation when I'm really nervous. Game 3 I get a lead but only for so long. The whole game goes back and forth until the end where it's last stock, I have a slight lead in percent but the threat of losing is still very real to me. "This is it" I tell myself, "I have to finish it here so I can make it out, if I don't then I lose and it's over." Suddenly I realize I have control and am beginning a punish on my opponent. He begins to get nervous. Next thing I know in the middle of the combo I whiff an aerial that allows him to escape and counter-attack, now he is the one punishing me on my last stock. The panic has fully settled in at this point. I'm on full alert to not lose this match and now in the midst of being punished all I can think about is "God I hope he messes this up." In my desperation to get out of the combo, I attempt to double jump at a point that looked good for escape, but if I maintained focus I could have seen that I needed to hold out for a little longer. I lose my double jump. I'm off stage. My fate is sealed. I can't get back onto stage and I'm losing this match. GAME!

My opponent says "GGs", fist bumps me, and then unplugs his controller and is on his way to report the result of the match. I'm sitting there, still shaking and heart still beating, but now I'm entranced in a state of self-deprecating thoughts. Mentally beating myself up over losing a match that I felt like I should have won. I feel the effort that I put into practice slip away as I played because I let my mind slip and lose focus. I have failed myself and my mindset, and now all I want to do is sulk in a corner.

This is one of those visualizations that expounds upon my greatest fears when I put myself on the line for competition. It's a feeling I have gone through many times before and it's one that I fear, even now. Even when I am relaxed at this computer typing these sentences, I was able to replicate a sense of that fear that this situation would produce. I felt a sense of nervousness inside me and even a little rise in my heartbeat by doing visualization like this. By visualizing it in this way though, I feel like I can be more prepared for when the starting signs of this situation happens. I can think about how to refocus myself when I put myself in that mental space.

I would believe that this is one of the ways that I could do mental preparation for tournament, through this visualization. I feel like this is the right direction to take but I am unsure if the process is sound or if there are flaws. Please let me know if there is something I could be doing to get more out of this, or if I need to change my process.
Well I do like that you're exposing yourself to the situation, that's very good and repeatedly shown to help. However I'd modify it a bit and find the moments of pain and see if you can change them to positive ones. How would you think and feel then? Notice specifically the emotions and just as importantly the thoughts that try to stop you. Don't fight them. Engage with them and make peace with them. Then you can begin building a new, positive visualization.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for taking the time to write your response. I'll write in more detail what I think of it later, since I think most of it is stuff I have to start doing myself and experiencing first hand.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Well I do like that you're exposing yourself to the situation, that's very good and repeatedly shown to help. However I'd modify it a bit and find the moments of pain and see if you can change them to positive ones. How would you think and feel then? Notice specifically the emotions and just as importantly the thoughts that try to stop you. Don't fight them. Engage with them and make peace with them. Then you can begin building a new, positive visualization.
This visualization that I provided is basically what I would deem as the "worst case scenario" for where my mentality has gone before and it's something that I had never tried to visualize again because of the sense of fear that it brings me. You're right that in those moments of pain that I should think about how to engage myself in the emotion, rather than trying to repel it. That's easier said than done though, and requires a lot of meditation to practice, or so I believe.

I feel like by visualizing the worst case scenario I can be more honest with myself about my fears and try to think about ways to approach it from a perspective of learning instead of fear. I find myself in general a lot more calm and focused, even when I am losing, if I take in the experience as a learning experience moreso than one to fear. You're right that I could and should have more positive visualizations, ones where it looks like it's not going so well for me but I pull myself out of it before it does get worse. I'm still kinda new to doing this whole visualization thing but it's showing some progress and it's making me feel more at peace with myself and my emotions.

Agrathor3

Smash Cadet
So recently I've been exploring the use of pivots in neutral since i couldn't really find anything online about them but basically I've been using a combination of empty pivots, pivot grabs, pivot jabs, pivot fairs and occasionally if I'm feeling saucy pivot utilts to either retreat a short distance really quickly if they got too close and continue to threaten them or just to end a dash suddenly at a specific spot that I have positional advantage or just o outspace some moves or stuff approaches with the pivot jabs. But I was just wondering what your thoughts on using pivots like this is or if you happen to have any good ideas for what I could use pivots for?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I never really explored empty pivots much, but I'd like them to take some space and then be able to do any move. Could even be useful for some platform tech chases I imagine. Pivot Fairs are most useful to me, besides pivot Fsmash obviously. Pivot Fair is great because it gives you a better coverage option out of dash back and helps you not move forward with it which would make it riskier. This allows people to respect your dash back more often OR harder commit to beat it, both of which can be beneficial to you.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
On mechanically understanding fair, right now I'm looking at the little frame data gif for it. You wrote "your" fair which I thought was interesting since "your" implies "my" fair and you talk about having the tools become "ours". I cant find any frame data gifs on all the different variations of fairs, plus even if I could I don't think that would help much if the tools have to become our own. You didn't say "mechanically dissect 'The' Fair". How much of this understanding comes from doing only variations of Fair in solo practice and watching and thinking about the factors you described like squat, how long it stays out, positions in matchups, etc?

Today and yesterday for 20 minutes the almost the only input I would do was the one for wavedash. It felt like I was practicing something for the first time in awhile even though I've sat down to solo practice a lot lately (in the reckless way), but this time it actually felt like I was practicing a *thing*. I hit a lot of them but there were a lot of errors too, and overall I felt uncertainty, while sometimes feeling like some of my WDs were automatic. Some, not all. I think this is neat because if you make an error you can tell what part of the wavedash you messed up on, instead of doing a wavedash in the middle of a flurry of movements and actions when it would get lost with all the other inputs and it'd be harder to tell why you messed up.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Well it becomes yours, but technically it is "the" Fair. You can always slow down using 20XX replays to look at different Fairs, but the important thing is to consider how the arc works right now. If you want to look at the different ones, that's perfectly fine but you'll need to set it up yourself.

It looks like focused practice is already paying off for you, which is cool.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
Hello PP,

I've been making some breakthroughs with my neutral and positioning game that I believe I'm very close to figuring out after trying various options. Here's a basic rundown on how I beat options:

Soft commit options: Zone in place
Hard commit options: Pivot grab or a zoning option that's higher reward than above zone in place
In-place options (like sheik fair in place): DA or dash WD down dtilt
Vertical options: Pivot fair works best, though fair in general is best. Nair in place at a distance can work as long as I'm sufficiently horizontally away.
Retreating option (greater than immediate DA distance): ???

For a long time, I'm wasn't sure how exactly I should pressure retreating options, but after playing some friendlies with some experiments, I might have found a somewhat odd answer: Crossups and WD down.

For a scenario specifically, I always had some trouble of some people dash dancing slightly greater than DA distance with characters like Fox, Marth, and Falcon. It seemed like previously whenever I entered at a closer range as I enter my run state, they would respond in some way to beat options like dtilt or DA such as jump or shield or FH. I wondered then what would happen if I just keep running past them, and I got interesting results. They would commit to some option and somehow find myself at an advantageous position as they commit to some option, such as them trying to DD grab. Only problem is, I often cannot get a grab if they continue dashing in a direction especially Falcon and Fox or if they do some soft commit option, and I find myself having to outplay them further like DA. I'm not sure if I'm describing my scenario right as my memory is a bit fuzzy, so I'll try my theories more and get recordings of it sometime soon to validate my findings. Do you have inputs on how to remedy this issue?

For when WD down is more effective, it's when my opponent is a lot more than DA distance where my RC dtilt becomes a lot more of a threat. I keep finding myself getting punished whenever I commit to RC dtilt like sheik jump fair at me, and I realize because it's such a common and quickest threat Marth has out of a run state, and I can take that to my advantage to at least learn my opponent as I WD down to not only observe, but also to create pressure to Sheik's landing in that example. Then when a similar situation arises, I can punish the Sheik with fair/fsmash or something.

I also found crossups to be very useful for going under my opponent such as Falco FH over me or puff maintaining a FH bair wall. Again though, it sort of creates the issue I said earlier about having to outplay further because I find it hard to land a grab in the same fashion as conventionally pivot grab. I'm also not sure what's the advantage of crossing up under someone as opposed to pivot fair their landing. Tips?

Do these sound good?

Last edited:

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
Do you think tunnel visioning in on doing only one specific move at a time out of neutral in friendlies practice would help learn purpose for where the move can work, wouldn't work, etc? from the little of doing that I've done it's been ok. Not really spamming the move though. I don't think I have a large enough sample size with it yet but on paper it sounds like it could be useful idk. There's lots of stuff about Fair that seemed obvious after doing it so much that I didn't realize before I started this method too.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hello PP,

I've been making some breakthroughs with my neutral and positioning game that I believe I'm very close to figuring out after trying various options. Here's a basic rundown on how I beat options:

Soft commit options: Zone in place
Hard commit options: Pivot grab or a zoning option that's higher reward than above zone in place
In-place options (like sheik fair in place): DA or dash WD down dtilt
Vertical options: Pivot fair works best, though fair in general is best. Nair in place at a distance can work as long as I'm sufficiently horizontally away.
Retreating option (greater than immediate DA distance): ???

For a long time, I'm wasn't sure how exactly I should pressure retreating options, but after playing some friendlies with some experiments, I might have found a somewhat odd answer: Crossups and WD down.

For a scenario specifically, I always had some trouble of some people dash dancing slightly greater than DA distance with characters like Fox, Marth, and Falcon. It seemed like previously whenever I entered at a closer range as I enter my run state, they would respond in some way to beat options like dtilt or DA such as jump or shield or FH. I wondered then what would happen if I just keep running past them, and I got interesting results. They would commit to some option and somehow find myself at an advantageous position as they commit to some option, such as them trying to DD grab. Only problem is, I often cannot get a grab if they continue dashing in a direction especially Falcon and Fox or if they do some soft commit option, and I find myself having to outplay them further like DA. I'm not sure if I'm describing my scenario right as my memory is a bit fuzzy, so I'll try my theories more and get recordings of it sometime soon to validate my findings. Do you have inputs on how to remedy this issue?

For when WD down is more effective, it's when my opponent is a lot more than DA distance where my RC dtilt becomes a lot more of a threat. I keep finding myself getting punished whenever I commit to RC dtilt like sheik jump fair at me, and I realize because it's such a common and quickest threat Marth has out of a run state, and I can take that to my advantage to at least learn my opponent as I WD down to not only observe, but also to create pressure to Sheik's landing in that example. Then when a similar situation arises, I can punish the Sheik with fair/fsmash or something.

I also found crossups to be very useful for going under my opponent such as Falco FH over me or puff maintaining a FH bair wall. Again though, it sort of creates the issue I said earlier about having to outplay further because I find it hard to land a grab in the same fashion as conventionally pivot grab. I'm also not sure what's the advantage of crossing up under someone as opposed to pivot fair their landing. Tips?

Do these sound good?
So if they do normal counters to Dtilt such as jump or shield then it's fine vs crossup, but if they attack in place or slightly forward or dash back it's not fine? Yeah that sounds about right. The issue with crossup is you get directly close to someone and dodge if they're low, which negates much of Marth's range advantage. The positive is people don't expect this, and it also plays on Marth's low and quick dash/run and he could grab. I used to do it for a while, and especially like it occasionally vs Fox FH so he can't reliably drift or aerial out of it. It does sound like overall this strategy is allowing you to run farther forward without committing which puts more pressure on your opponents for whether you will commit or not and at what range, so overall I don't think I'll criticize this too much until I can see a video.

Do you think tunnel visioning in on doing only one specific move at a time out of neutral in friendlies practice would help learn purpose for where the move can work, wouldn't work, etc? from the little of doing that I've done it's been ok. Not really spamming the move though. I don't think I have a large enough sample size with it yet but on paper it sounds like it could be useful idk. There's lots of stuff about Fair that seemed obvious after doing it so much that I didn't realize before I started this method too.
Yeah that's great. You can also experiment with never doing the move in friendlies so you really understand where it is most useful, and also how to mix up using it.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
that seems neat. One thing that I want to dive deeper into was that I didn't realize I could use fair to catch peoples little nuances and tendencies with movement in neutral, and little nuances and details about their attacks like lag, where they're vulnerable after the hitbox ends etc. Then realizing that I could be beaten in the same way too.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process

Here is a video that I wanted to share after DruggedFox shared the first part of this video during one of his lessons with a student. The first part is recommended viewing but this part in particular goes into the specifics of how to breathe to ensure that your physiology doesn't inhibit your frontal lobe from being able to carry out the tasks that it needs to do. In short, by doing consistent rhythmic breathing instead of deep breathing, you stabilize your oxygen flow to your brain and you think better because of it. I definitely recommend watching the whole video to get a good understanding.

Immediately after finishing this video I meditated for 45 minutes, purely focusing on my breathing and keeping it smooth and rhythmic the entire time while listening to music in the background. I was even trying to breathe in rhythm to the music itself, and it felt very liberating to do meditation in this way. In the midst of meditating I had an idea that much like me doing solo practice in the morning and reading my books before I go to bed, I should make it a habit to meditate shortly after I get home from work each day as well. This way, I can get into the mindset of wanting to improve in Melee instead of having a distracting mindset that doesn’t get me motivated to practice.

Once the meditation had concluded, I headed over to a house tournament and played a local PRed Fox player in about 15 minutes of friendlies or so, and my goal was to entirely focus on breathing. I found it very hard to focus on breathing and focus on the game at the same time while I am playing, so I mostly focused on the breathing while I was dead and on the angel platform. I’m not sure if I played really well as a result of the breathing or as a result of my immense motivation to play the game at that moment, but I played at a peak and it felt good to do. I played very fast and made decisions very quickly. I can’t really conclude anything just from these friendlies but it felt good to do and I think I’ll continue this breathing focus while playing.

Are there other points during a match where I can find moments to focus on my breathing? Or is it something that I have to keep doing during down-time and hope that my subconscious keeps up the pace and rhythm of the breathing? I'm sure being more and more aware of my breathing will help overtime (even when I'm not playing Melee) but I'm wondering if there is much else I can do while playing.

Reyjavik

Smash Apprentice
Hi all, I've been struggling with the game and improvement but lately have started to realize my inner monologue is changing. I'll ask for general tips at some point from a friendlie/match I had when I upload but I think I've improved in my local scene despite my hesitation to do bad. I've been playing falco more and moving between the two helps me visualize control.
Moving back to my inner monologue, I've realized some options I chose are just bad and don't cover what an opponent might do in a certain position. While my nair may have worked against some people coming from top platform, it just is a less optimal and worse choice than choosing the fair that cover an arc.
I've been studying Armada a lot and listening to his tips and my question right now is this:
How do you grow your knowledge of where to hit the position some WILL go, rather than where they WERE in neutral? What I mean bu this is I'm sometimes putting out moves to where I see the opponent is standing rather than where they will go

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer

Here is a video that I wanted to share after DruggedFox shared the first part of this video during one of his lessons with a student. The first part is recommended viewing but this part in particular goes into the specifics of how to breathe to ensure that your physiology doesn't inhibit your frontal lobe from being able to carry out the tasks that it needs to do. In short, by doing consistent rhythmic breathing instead of deep breathing, you stabilize your oxygen flow to your brain and you think better because of it. I definitely recommend watching the whole video to get a good understanding.

Immediately after finishing this video I meditated for 45 minutes, purely focusing on my breathing and keeping it smooth and rhythmic the entire time while listening to music in the background. I was even trying to breathe in rhythm to the music itself, and it felt very liberating to do meditation in this way. In the midst of meditating I had an idea that much like me doing solo practice in the morning and reading my books before I go to bed, I should make it a habit to meditate shortly after I get home from work each day as well. This way, I can get into the mindset of wanting to improve in Melee instead of having a distracting mindset that doesn’t get me motivated to practice.

Once the meditation had concluded, I headed over to a house tournament and played a local PRed Fox player in about 15 minutes of friendlies or so, and my goal was to entirely focus on breathing. I found it very hard to focus on breathing and focus on the game at the same time while I am playing, so I mostly focused on the breathing while I was dead and on the angel platform. I’m not sure if I played really well as a result of the breathing or as a result of my immense motivation to play the game at that moment, but I played at a peak and it felt good to do. I played very fast and made decisions very quickly. I can’t really conclude anything just from these friendlies but it felt good to do and I think I’ll continue this breathing focus while playing.

Are there other points during a match where I can find moments to focus on my breathing? Or is it something that I have to keep doing during down-time and hope that my subconscious keeps up the pace and rhythm of the breathing? I'm sure being more and more aware of my breathing will help overtime (even when I'm not playing Melee) but I'm wondering if there is much else I can do while playing.
Good point about the rhythmic breathing. I haven't been able to make use of it myself but I've seen various good places claim its benefits so I'm glad you posted it here.

You can focus on your breathing if you get hit high and will take a bit to fall back down. Perhaps also if someone planks you.

Hi all, I've been struggling with the game and improvement but lately have started to realize my inner monologue is changing. I'll ask for general tips at some point from a friendlie/match I had when I upload but I think I've improved in my local scene despite my hesitation to do bad. I've been playing falco more and moving between the two helps me visualize control.
Moving back to my inner monologue, I've realized some options I chose are just bad and don't cover what an opponent might do in a certain position. While my nair may have worked against some people coming from top platform, it just is a less optimal and worse choice than choosing the fair that cover an arc.
I've been studying Armada a lot and listening to his tips and my question right now is this:
How do you grow your knowledge of where to hit the position some WILL go, rather than where they WERE in neutral? What I mean bu this is I'm sometimes putting out moves to where I see the opponent is standing rather than where they will go
You have to assume where they might go, and also influence where they might go. By influence I mean if you move in what do you think they will do? If you've hit them before a certain way, how might they change? If they have high percent might they be more likely to move back? And so on. Just get into the mind of the opponent and think about why they move, or ask yourself why you move and then see how an opponent can manipulate you to move to get an idea of how it works.

Top Bottom