• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

maclo4

Smash Apprentice
Ur good!! I don't mind too much I just noticed a couple questions in a row weren't marth related

Aksorz1336

Smash Rookie
Hey PP!

How do you feel about Sheik in general as a character, and especially vs Marth? I reckon you don't really enjoy playing Sheik yourself because of her limited neutral game? I might be totally off here but to me it feels like Sheik is the kind of character that works better in practice than theory because she can really open up sloppy opponents with her strong punish game, but lacks alot of approaching options. Whereas Marth crosses me like the opposite, big sword, great at zoning and winning neutral, but sometimes lacking in raw kill power.

The matchup is widely considered even or historically in Sheik's favor, but nowadays there seems to be a tendency to weigh it sligthly to Marth's favor. What's your take on this?

Personally, I feel like if I play on point the Sheik can't do alot, but me being pretty low level player makes for quite a few opportunities for the Sheik to strike. If you'd be in the mind of a Sheik player, how would you go about approaching a Marth and forcing bad actions from him? Is it mostly about baiting, reading, capitalizing off of whiffs, or is there more to it? What can I as Marth expect the Sheik to do to get an opening?

As always, thanks PP, you're the best.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
Speaking about the Sheik mu, how do you feel about dashing in PP? Analyzing some of your marth sheik sets, sometimes dashing in would give you some good results like cross-up against DA and aerials. The thing is, most of the time they were from WD d-tilt, so can you provide some insight about it?

Also, how would you deal with f-tilt that will give you maximized punish opportunity? I know for Fox players an easy way to beat it is to run-up shield and grab, but with Marth his shield is poor but do you think it can be reliable? Another idea I have is to WD in CC-grab which should work for awhile. Idk about whiff punishing f-tilt with grab is possible due to the incredibly low cooldown of that move.

Additionally, when the Sheik FH needles me (not fully charged), is it worth it to simply take the hit and still maintain my position? It's tricky how I can deal with Sheik's aerial needles atm.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey PP!

How do you feel about Sheik in general as a character, and especially vs Marth? I reckon you don't really enjoy playing Sheik yourself because of her limited neutral game? I might be totally off here but to me it feels like Sheik is the kind of character that works better in practice than theory because she can really open up sloppy opponents with her strong punish game, but lacks alot of approaching options. Whereas Marth crosses me like the opposite, big sword, great at zoning and winning neutral, but sometimes lacking in raw kill power.

The matchup is widely considered even or historically in Sheik's favor, but nowadays there seems to be a tendency to weigh it sligthly to Marth's favor. What's your take on this?

Personally, I feel like if I play on point the Sheik can't do alot, but me being pretty low level player makes for quite a few opportunities for the Sheik to strike. If you'd be in the mind of a Sheik player, how would you go about approaching a Marth and forcing bad actions from him? Is it mostly about baiting, reading, capitalizing off of whiffs, or is there more to it? What can I as Marth expect the Sheik to do to get an opening?

As always, thanks PP, you're the best.
Sheik I don't understand so well as the other top tiers, but my understanding is she pushes forward through threat of counterattack. So while she doesn't get easier offense/movement like Marth for approaching she makes the most of zoning which Marth does to push her way in. Having very quick movement(besides SH hangtime) and quick and big attacks plus boost grab is a big deal for her and can sometimes surprise the opponent and catch them when they're not holding down for very good punishes. It's not like Marth is an approaching monster either, so to contrast the two just shows that Sheiks could likely improve in this area since even zoning Marths like Zain/Rishi will approach a decent amount.

I think Marth wins at top level but loses everywhere below that because Sheik eats up mistakes and it's too hard to be perfectly efficient as Marth.

Speaking about the Sheik mu, how do you feel about dashing in PP? Analyzing some of your marth sheik sets, sometimes dashing in would give you some good results like cross-up against DA and aerials. The thing is, most of the time they were from WD d-tilt, so can you provide some insight about it?

Also, how would you deal with f-tilt that will give you maximized punish opportunity? I know for Fox players an easy way to beat it is to run-up shield and grab, but with Marth his shield is poor but do you think it can be reliable? Another idea I have is to WD in CC-grab which should work for awhile. Idk about whiff punishing f-tilt with grab is possible due to the incredibly low cooldown of that move.

Additionally, when the Sheik FH needles me (not fully charged), is it worth it to simply take the hit and still maintain my position? It's tricky how I can deal with Sheik's aerial needles atm.
I like dash in against Sheik because it forces her to potentially whiff Ftilt and can discourage her DA if at all possible. Staying in that place I can threaten her with my approach but she can't really threaten me so it's quite good. Moving in you don't always have to swing at her and can either hit her jump or threaten her landing and you can always jump yourself to keep Fairing a running grab/DA from being a possibility as well as hitting Ftilt if you space reasonably. Not sure about your second question can you rephrase?

You ideally want to either grab Ftilt or at least Fsmash it if you want to stay more around that range. However even if you can Nair/Dtilt it that's great for pushing her back and getting damage but those may have to be more pre-emptive attacks. Fair is a solid choice to cover it for damage and stay safe generally but gives the least reward if she can hold down. WD in CC could work but if you're wrong then you're up close against Sheik in lag which isn't really where you want to be.

Depends on how high Sheik is when she hits needles, if she's rising/falling and also how many needles you're hit with I think. If she's high up at apex of FH and it's two needles that's fine, but if she's low and it's even one needle that's not worth it.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
I mean moments like these

https://youtu.be/kREm4Bsw58M?t=25m48s

where you don't necessary mean to cross-up but inadvertently do with WD d-tilt. With that, you can take advantage of the IASA of d-tilt to put yourself in a good spot. Do you think crossing up vs. Sheik is necessary?

Also, how do you think about F-smash where Sheik is within WD d-tilt range when Sheik is at low percents? This is when Sheik clearly isn't shielding and she's FH needling or doing AC fairs. Do you think there's better answers for risk/reward?

UnderTheKnife

Smash Rookie
Firstly, PP - shout out to you for the juggling advice vs. Sheik you dropped in this thread last week, it's been enormously helpful and it's translated into some real results!

I have another question today that is a bit more general. My biggest sticking point as a player has always been the fact that I am a very reactionary player, and that my playstyle is more focused on capitalizing on my opponents mistakes (e.g. baiting and whiff punishing) than being proactive, "asserting my will", and forcing my opponent to make unwise decisions. This works for me now in the sense that I do well at locals or whatever, but as I fight more experienced opponents, the wait and bait strategy has diminishing returns. Better players will see that I'm waiting for them to do something and will maybe get hit once or twice, and then proceed to kinda be like "oh.....word? so...you're just gonna let me have full stage control....for free..? aight cool lmao".

Better players have a sense of control over the match, one that I lack (I'm often dash dancing waiting for an approach to punish) - here's a classic (IMO) example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrRtAg3QOn8. The whole set, $Mike has trouble doing anything! PP has full control the entire time, which is really insane and inspiring actually LOL

My question is, how do I develop this? I don't expect to be PP level over night, but the ideas of control, influence, positioning, and being proactive as opposed to merely reactive seem to be really strong fundamentals that most players at top level have a great understanding of. How do I practice this?

Thanks everyone, this thread is one of the best out there <3

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I mean moments like these

https://youtu.be/kREm4Bsw58M?t=25m48s

where you don't necessary mean to cross-up but inadvertently do with WD d-tilt. With that, you can take advantage of the IASA of d-tilt to put yourself in a good spot. Do you think crossing up vs. Sheik is necessary?

Also, how do you think about F-smash where Sheik is within WD d-tilt range when Sheik is at low percents? This is when Sheik clearly isn't shielding and she's FH needling or doing AC fairs. Do you think there's better answers for risk/reward?
In that example I did not look like I had great advantage with my back to Sheik and her not in any massive lag for me to abuse. I would not recommend it, but you can be reasonably sure you usually won't get punished too hard if it happens so it's more of something to go for if you need stage space or want to consider solving that situation so you have an "out" to further cushion your Dtilt approach.

Fsmash is great vs Sheik but you might need to be a little closer to really use it. Spacing Fair around her Ftilt is also a similar range where Fsmash works, especially if she whiffs Ftilt and has her hurtbox extended.

Firstly, PP - shout out to you for the juggling advice vs. Sheik you dropped in this thread last week, it's been enormously helpful and it's translated into some real results!

I have another question today that is a bit more general. My biggest sticking point as a player has always been the fact that I am a very reactionary player, and that my playstyle is more focused on capitalizing on my opponents mistakes (e.g. baiting and whiff punishing) than being proactive, "asserting my will", and forcing my opponent to make unwise decisions. This works for me now in the sense that I do well at locals or whatever, but as I fight more experienced opponents, the wait and bait strategy has diminishing returns. Better players will see that I'm waiting for them to do something and will maybe get hit once or twice, and then proceed to kinda be like "oh.....word? so...you're just gonna let me have full stage control....for free..? aight cool lmao".

Better players have a sense of control over the match, one that I lack (I'm often dash dancing waiting for an approach to punish) - here's a classic (IMO) example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrRtAg3QOn8. The whole set, $Mike has trouble doing anything! PP has full control the entire time, which is really insane and inspiring actually LOL

My question is, how do I develop this? I don't expect to be PP level over night, but the ideas of control, influence, positioning, and being proactive as opposed to merely reactive seem to be really strong fundamentals that most players at top level have a great understanding of. How do I practice this?

Thanks everyone, this thread is one of the best out there <3
Oh good glad it helped!

You should look back a month or two in this thread because I helped a few people in here with this very problem. I'm also currently discussing conditioning and such on my Falco thread right now.

That said, you build your action to be conscious. You can do this in practice by doing deliberate action sequence practice. Basically do 1-2 dashes and then a move, or a move then dashes, or a move between dashes and then you add in WD jumps etc. Here's something simple: run forward SH Fair in place. You first need to understand the importance of each of these tools individually and how they work together, but skipping that for now you'll see you can reliably pressure the opponent and take some stage space with this sequence. You may also note that on your dash forward you could react to your opponent coming in to disrupt your jump/Fair(conditioned response) and you can now just grab or early Fair or WD back or whatever. So practicing simple options can lead to very deep results. I'm sure if you ask more questions here you will get more ideas from those who have been working on it since I talked about it a while ago. Hope this is helpful.

UnderTheKnife

Smash Rookie
I see! I definitely remember you talking about doing 1-2 dashes and then making a decision in regards to developing intent. Is this exercise something that can be practiced during friendlies or is this for when someone is riding solo? How does doing this translate into being a more proactive player? Just want to make sure I have the right things in mind while practicing this!

Really appreciate your patience and knowledge as always :)

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
I see! I definitely remember you talking about doing 1-2 dashes and then making a decision in regards to developing intent. Is this exercise something that can be practiced during friendlies or is this for when someone is riding solo? How does doing this translate into being a more proactive player? Just want to make sure I have the right things in mind while practicing this!

Both. In solo you can do 1-2 dashes -> wavedash forward dtilt. 1-2 dashes -> wavedash back. Get muscle memory for mixups you'd want to do in neutral in a real set/in friendlies. Makes things a bit easier. It's more than muscle memory too. Gets you thinking about choices out of simple choices that dictate your whole game. Are you starting with a dash away or a dash in? Are they now expecting something out of a dash forward? etc. Gets you thinking! It's cool. How it translates into how it makes one a more proactive player I'll let Dr Peepee Dr Peepee answer if he wants lol

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer

Like Kopaka said, this is something best done alone and against others. Ideally, you practice the actions first and then try your ideas out against opponents and then take what you learned back to practice and refine your ideas.

Run forward SH Fair, to use the prior example, is proactive in that you initiate your own sequence of actions and now adjust as your opponent does or after they show you they adapt to what you've shown them. Do they come in quickly? Do they wait? Do they wait for part to be sure they can confirm what you're doing first? In this way, you are being proactive by observing how they respond to you. It makes sense once you get started with the practice I think.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
How do you get around an ICs Blizzard desync? When ICs build a wall with blizzard it seems really hard to get around. I have tried to dtilt through it, but my dtilt just gets stuffed and I get grabbed for my troubles. I don't feel like jumping over ICs when a blizzard desync is happening is useful because Marth doesn't have good aerials for coming down with and separating the climbers. Do I just wait out the blizzard? Or is there usually a better way? I'm thinking of dealing with this on FD.

HolidayMaker

Smash Cadet
There are definite windows in between blizzards when they spam the desync. Usually a jump in or well spaced WD d tilt is the answer here, but yes you do have to wait out the blizzard, as challenging it directly is generally unwise.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
How do you get around an ICs Blizzard desync? When ICs build a wall with blizzard it seems really hard to get around. I have tried to dtilt through it, but my dtilt just gets stuffed and I get grabbed for my troubles. I don't feel like jumping over ICs when a blizzard desync is happening is useful because Marth doesn't have good aerials for coming down with and separating the climbers. Do I just wait out the blizzard? Or is there usually a better way? I'm thinking of dealing with this on FD.
Sometimes jumping over is okay if you land with Fair as it ends or something to separate them some or harass them. If you can get in as you see it start up you can beat or trade with early blizzard hits. Besides that, just wait.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
With regards of getting better and getting recognition for it, I expected pressure. Well, performance pressure that is, where people might get nervous and all in the moment. This isn't something new to me as I've dealt with it fine with me performing musical instrument for several years. I also saw other people's regard to performance pressure and how they dealt with it, and I can say that this is not a surprise for me and it is what I signed up for.

However, one thing I did not expect and prepare for in my journey of getting better is the unnecessary amount of attention I'm getting, all because of my skill at the game. Of course I expected some degree of attention, but there's people I know for sure didn't think much of me when I first met them when I was a worse player several weeks prior but now they want me to be their superficial friend, acknowledgement from me, or think I'm God because of my recent big wins. In other words, they take it too far. I can't say for sure, but I know that the moment I fall off in my skill, they won't be there for me. Not that I intend to fall off, but it'd be foolish for me to think that I won't ever underperform or have some time period of plateauing, and all the sudden people I thought who had my back are gone.

How would you say I should deal with my situation now and the moment I fail to meet expectations?

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Well it depends more on matchup than anything, but on average vs top tiers I'd say FD.

Edit: LOL welp new post

With regards of getting better and getting recognition for it, I expected pressure. Well, performance pressure that is, where people might get nervous and all in the moment. This isn't something new to me as I've dealt with it fine with me performing musical instrument for several years. I also saw other people's regard to performance pressure and how they dealt with it, and I can say that this is not a surprise for me and it is what I signed up for.

However, one thing I did not expect and prepare for in my journey of getting better is the unnecessary amount of attention I'm getting, all because of my skill at the game. Of course I expected some degree of attention, but there's people I know for sure didn't think much of me when I first met them when I was a worse player several weeks prior but now they want me to be their superficial friend, acknowledgement from me, or think I'm God because of my recent big wins. In other words, they take it too far. I can't say for sure, but I know that the moment I fall off in my skill, they won't be there for me. Not that I intend to fall off, but it'd be foolish for me to think that I won't ever underperform or have some time period of plateauing, and all the sudden people I thought who had my back are gone.

How would you say I should deal with my situation now and the moment I fail to meet expectations?
Well you're right more or less in your assessment of the situation. I would say you need to mentally train and visualize this too and build it into your meditative work. Building respect for people regardless of their treatment of you helps you not question them and just accept the good with the bad. Keep in mind there may be some good in here besides just complements, as people generally gravitate toward and have more respect for those who can work hard and overcome limits and grow since it tends to be more rare and just powerful in general. So I would say there's a real way to appreciate it and accept this and the bad. Also, it's good to contrast your situation now with your old one in your mind. So if you think back on times when people didn't notice you and compare it with what you have now you may find other things to be grateful for, or at least it will inspire humility. Hopefully that helps.

Last edited:

UnderTheKnife

Smash Rookie
Like Kopaka said, this is something best done alone and against others. Ideally, you practice the actions first and then try your ideas out against opponents and then take what you learned back to practice and refine your ideas.

Run forward SH Fair, to use the prior example, is proactive in that you initiate your own sequence of actions and now adjust as your opponent does or after they show you they adapt to what you've shown them. Do they come in quickly? Do they wait? Do they wait for part to be sure they can confirm what you're doing first? In this way, you are being proactive by observing how they respond to you. It makes sense once you get started with the practice I think.
Thanks PP, and thanks Kopaka! Advice from both of you is awesome, getting multiple perspectives is always super valuable. I played with this concept in mind over the course of the weekend, and though I would say I was much more observant of my opponents, it didn't necessarily translate to a better degree of control or influence. Is there something I'm missing?

Thank you for everyone's help!

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
PP can you explain why you go for this nair:

https://youtu.be/cSv8Ey9IKAc?t=1m10s
I expected another Dtilt/dash in and wanted to jump over it and hit it. Not an amazing decision but an okay one.
Thanks PP, and thanks Kopaka! Advice from both of you is awesome, getting multiple perspectives is always super valuable. I played with this concept in mind over the course of the weekend, and though I would say I was much more observant of my opponents, it didn't necessarily translate to a better degree of control or influence. Is there something I'm missing?

Thank you for everyone's help!
You'll get better at adapting once you build it into your practice. The fact you can see where to adjust is a good sign though.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
The "detractor" of desync blizzard (compared with desynced ice blocks) is that only Nana can repeat the blizzard. As soon as Popo does a blizzard it throws off their desync tempo. As long as you play around Nana blizzarding, which is a move with a fairly long end lag, you should be able to find openings.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
There are a lot of things in my life inhibiting me from playing (not physical ones, but mental blocks) mostly being major depression and anxiety. Its hard to find the incentive to try and compete when all of your thoughts are pessimistic in my opinion. I have yet to find something that helps with this. Everything from meditation to counseling. Do you know what works for you when thoughts of depression and anxiety and pessimism come over you?

Edit: This can be during a competition or before you leave to go to a tournament.
Things that I personally have experienced or have helped others include:

-Exercise, because it makes you feel good and tends to move your blood well which can remove waste products in the body.

-Eating well for similar reasons and many that are not yet understood that well.

-Cold exposure such as cold showers for similar reasons. Sounds silly but if you're interested you can look into a guy called Wim Hof. His stuff has worked for many people.

-NLP, or playing with your mental representations of your ideas and changing them so that they empower you using language more comfortable to your brain. So if you make an image of playing in tournament brighter instead of duller then that can give you more warm feelings toward it for example. I know this also sounds ridiculous but if you're really trying to sort it out there are books you can read to learn more.

-During meditation you may need to directly address these thoughts and come to the root of them. Sentence completions could also help you get at your subconscious with things such as "when I think of tournaments I-" and then move to "if I want to think well of myself at tournaments, I will-"

I know I listed some weird stuff so if you don't find it useful that's okay but I wanted to list some extra things since you've tried more typical recommendations.

Edit: I could have listed some psychological work I did/do as well and I'm not sure why I didn't bring it up. If you need more info on that and/or if nothing I already listed helped then let me know and I can go over that too.

Last edited:

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
Do you think it's worth throwing Samus up and try to read their bomb or attack coming down? Or do you think throwing them to the corner would be better for positional advantage? Depends on preference?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Is there an option I can do after falcon's nair here that's good against run up grab and dash back stomp?

https://youtu.be/ZhB-jv77z2E?t=12m34s
Run up retreating Fair(time it for grab), but varied timings could be good too)?, run up take stage....not sure what else off the top of my head from that spacing since it was a little far and both characters cover a lot of ground.
Do you think it's worth throwing Samus up and try to read their bomb or attack coming down? Or do you think throwing them to the corner would be better for positional advantage? Depends on preference?
Nah side throw her since she will be airborne anyway but she will have less options and you don't have to spend so much brain power trying to manipulate her. There may be situations where up is better but as a rule side probably is.

maclo4

Smash Apprentice
Regarding the cold exposure thing, is this what you were talking about when you said on twitter you were trying out some weird techniques and didn't want to discuss it yet cause you wanted to be sure it would work?

Also, I'm running into a pretty big hole in my gameplay in that I never really learned how to CC effectively when I first started playing, and now I am just having a really hard time incorporating it into my gameplay more. Whenever I try to use CC in friendlies it just takes up so much brain power cause I have to really force myself to do it because it isn't a habit. I've been at this same phase for a while now where I don't do it if I'm not consciously thinking about it, and it's hard to tell if I just need to keep giving it time or what. Cause other techniques that I learned late did not take me this long to make them feel natural

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Regarding the cold exposure thing, is this what you were talking about when you said on twitter you were trying out some weird techniques and didn't want to discuss it yet cause you wanted to be sure it would work?

Also, I'm running into a pretty big hole in my gameplay in that I never really learned how to CC effectively when I first started playing, and now I am just having a really hard time incorporating it into my gameplay more. Whenever I try to use CC in friendlies it just takes up so much brain power cause I have to really force myself to do it because it isn't a habit. I've been at this same phase for a while now where I don't do it if I'm not consciously thinking about it, and it's hard to tell if I just need to keep giving it time or what. Cause other techniques that I learned late did not take me this long to make them feel natural
That was one of the things, yes.

Yeah this is somewhat common and I myself don't always abuse CC when I should. I think like anything else you need to build it into your game. Good CC opportunities come after doing a Fair/Dtilt and you can look to hold down sometimes instead of dash if you think you'll get hit. Other opportunities may come after a grab break, or in a scuffle situation and you can practice all of these things.

StarEmblem

Smash Rookie
Hey Kevin 2 questions (2nd one is unrelated to smash but it still involves Marth) How do you do the Marth ditto? 2nd question involving Marth have you played Fe11/12?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yea that would be awesome if you would. Because exercise. While I know is beneficial, does not seem to raise my mood much. I've been doing it for a few months now so I would have seen some mood improvement by now I would hope :p
For exercise, it could be the case you didn't do a kind that benefited enough or did it frequently or intensely enough.

But anyway, I set out to sort out my mindset not as some last minute thing but as a daily habit. Part of it was those sentence completions, part of it was stuff I read such as "Unlimited Power" or "The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem," and part of it was being willing to look at myself and ask where the holes were. What made me angry or sad and why, why couldn't I shake it? Continuing to ask why always got me deeper if I really listened to myself(especially during meditation) and eventually I uncovered many biases and habits that I could then choose to change. It takes a lot of work and discipline and you can't solve it right before an event but it's incredibly rewarding to work on.

Sacredtwin11

Smash Apprentice
Hi, after numerous years of inactivity on smashboards, I've decided to come back and get on the grind for improvement. I've been lurking for a while and reading up on the numerous bits of advice posted. At my most recent local, I was able to get a bunch of sets recorded which was nice. I'd like to hear your guys' thoughts, especially vs sheik and falcon, the 2 sets I lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edtNsMIgJcc&list=PLtE7SFyEZUEUMqh4UzFmiu7HS7iTZgbJf&index=5
vs. sheik
Neutral thoughts: When I had him cornered, I was a little too content to sit there and dtilt. Dtilt is amazing, but he was willing to sit in shield. I noticed I got hit a couple times there by WD back OoS dash attack.
Punish thoughts: Juggling was not as good as it could have been. He smartly airdodged many of my aerials at him, and clipped me with aerials coming down as I was late to just wait and utilt.
Also, my execution was sloppy at times, and this led to numerous sd's as well as other flubs that looked pretty gross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LObZmUD7w0A&list=PLtE7SFyEZUEUMqh4UzFmiu7HS7iTZgbJf&index=3
vs. falcon
Neutral thoughts: When I had him cornered, I threw out a lot of unsafe utilts/fairs in place I think. He also built a lot of his corner game on WD back OoS into grab usually. I think when cornered, I can afford to run at them and overshoot sometimes.
Punish thoughts: Some punishes were great, but my tech chases could be greatly improved. He knows that missing tech makes the tech chases kind of hard, so I should've been more willing to fsmash more or otherwise call out missed tech. I should also try uthrowing more at around 30ish for more guaranteed followups.
Again, my execution was kind of sloppy and I killed myself sometimes. Also missed dashdances are other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiGqiY4sCI4&list=PLtE7SFyEZUEUMqh4UzFmiu7HS7iTZgbJf&index=2
vs falco
Neutral thoughts: I've been trying to incorporate more jabs and dash attacks vs. falco since I've been struggling vs lasers and everytime I miss powershields I get tilted and they begin to pressure me. I think I did pretty well here, but I still have a lot to improve on. Also should practice PS so that I have more tools to deal with lasers.
Punish thoughts. Decent number of good punishes, but a few flubs that I could've converted into falco being offstage. Edgeguarding was ok, but could've been slightly better if I reacted a little faster to some side-bs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rViLg_324U&t=2s&list=PLtE7SFyEZUEUMqh4UzFmiu7HS7iTZgbJf&index=6
vs fox
Both games I started out sloppy at first and was able to clean up my play later on. Have not analyzed this set in depth as much, but I distinctly remember during the set I kind of told myself to clean things up, and I did.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Vs Sheik, if I could only tell you to change one thing it would be to have a plan for what to do when you get a hit. You set up tech chases then guessed, or reacted to airdodges with weak hit Uair at low percent when you had time to tipper Fsmash/tipper Uair/any type of Fair.

Vs Falcon, you can't swing so much against him unless you're very far or very close. Fair to Utilt will get punished hard as you saw. You could do with practicing to speed up, but more than that you want to make sure you don't commit to WD forward or dash in etc without observing your opponent during that. It's something you can practice as well.

Sacredtwin11

Smash Apprentice
Vs Sheik, if I could only tell you to change one thing it would be to have a plan for what to do when you get a hit. You set up tech chases then guessed, or reacted to airdodges with weak hit Uair at low percent when you had time to tipper Fsmash/tipper Uair/any type of Fair.

Vs Falcon, you can't swing so much against him unless you're very far or very close. Fair to Utilt will get punished hard as you saw. You could do with practicing to speed up, but more than that you want to make sure you don't commit to WD forward or dash in etc without observing your opponent during that. It's something you can practice as well.
Thanks for that advice! It brings back to mind when I was playing with heartstrings, one of Michigan's pr players and he said that he thought I had a solid neutral, but my punish game against sheik was kind of abysmal, and it definitely showed in that set.

With regards to the falcon, what exactly do you mean by practicing to speed up? Is it mostly just learning when you can throw out a lot of hitboxes, like you mentioned how I can only really swing a lot if I'm really close or far?

Kino

Smash Cadet
Hey PP, I haven't posted on smashboards for a long time but I started playing competitively for the first time, or at least approaching the game more intelligently and ambitiously a few years ago, I had touched on the advanced stuff in my teens around 10 years ago but never with the same maturity and not for very long. Although I believe at that time my interest in smash was rekindled you had maybe attended a tournament or two before taking time out, during my journey as a player You've been a huge inspiration and resource for me. Your posts here and the knowledge you freely share elsewhere has helped enormously and I admire your generosity in an environment where sharing knowledge can feed intel about you to your rivals, but conversely help the community as a whole.

I also relate to you slightly as I had to have a long period of time off work, It was a year and a half because of mental health problems and personal problems which feeded into eachother, and I struggled to get any treatment from a budget-cut health service in my country. However I'm now nearly completing therapy and am taking appropriate medication which both have had an enormous effect on my life, and I am playing the best smash I ever have, although I am still improving and have a long way to go - but hey don't we all.

My most recent breakthrough has been in playing to pressure my opponent - not necessarily trying to beat their moves but more in using movement and other subtle tools to overwhelm. Do you have any thoughts or advice on this? Especially versus wait-and-bait players that rarely approach? I wonder if they are less likely to be pressured because they don't approach and are free to be more patient.

Also, I'm happy if you don't want to share anything about this right now but I'm also wondering how you're doing at the moment physically and mentally, I hope you're feeling strong, determined, and motivated, and can hardly wait to see your return to prominence.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Thanks for that advice! It brings back to mind when I was playing with heartstrings, one of Michigan's pr players and he said that he thought I had a solid neutral, but my punish game against sheik was kind of abysmal, and it definitely showed in that set.

With regards to the falcon, what exactly do you mean by practicing to speed up? Is it mostly just learning when you can throw out a lot of hitboxes, like you mentioned how I can only really swing a lot if I'm really close or far?
Practice going between actions faster. So miss less frames between L-cancel and next action for example, or between WD and Dtilt or whatever you want to do next. When you can be as fast as possible that helps, and it also lets you slow down as much as you want to influence the opponent as well. If you want to build up speed slowly while thinking of the tools that would be best.

Hey PP, I haven't posted on smashboards for a long time but I started playing competitively for the first time, or at least approaching the game more intelligently and ambitiously a few years ago, I had touched on the advanced stuff in my teens around 10 years ago but never with the same maturity and not for very long. Although I believe at that time my interest in smash was rekindled you had maybe attended a tournament or two before taking time out, during my journey as a player You've been a huge inspiration and resource for me. Your posts here and the knowledge you freely share elsewhere has helped enormously and I admire your generosity in an environment where sharing knowledge can feed intel about you to your rivals, but conversely help the community as a whole.

I also relate to you slightly as I had to have a long period of time off work, It was a year and a half because of mental health problems and personal problems which feeded into eachother, and I struggled to get any treatment from a budget-cut health service in my country. However I'm now nearly completing therapy and am taking appropriate medication which both have had an enormous effect on my life, and I am playing the best smash I ever have, although I am still improving and have a long way to go - but hey don't we all.

My most recent breakthrough has been in playing to pressure my opponent - not necessarily trying to beat their moves but more in using movement and other subtle tools to overwhelm. Do you have any thoughts or advice on this? Especially versus wait-and-bait players that rarely approach? I wonder if they are less likely to be pressured because they don't approach and are free to be more patient.

Also, I'm happy if you don't want to share anything about this right now but I'm also wondering how you're doing at the moment physically and mentally, I hope you're feeling strong, determined, and motivated, and can hardly wait to see your return to prominence.
Congrats on taking control of your life that is no easy feat! Very happy for you =)

Putting pressure on opponents you can think of through the lens of the game. If they back up, they lose stage and options(at least eventually/quickly) so if you push in some but not all the way they will feel pressure by you not falling into their trap and also not having options. This creates a lot of pressure not just for these reasons but also because their default strategy doesn't work and they may not have backups that are too deep then. If you can get past that part you will put great pressure on them.

I have an update coming out soon.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
Could you explain this setup for f-smashing?
https://youtu.be/qSr8E3HkKAU?t=11m

Similar idea but with side-B instead
https://youtu.be/qSr8E3HkKAU?t=11m17s

If I were to theorize, you have center and they are in the corner. You momentarily give up center as a bait that they can take center, but at a cost of their shield dropping, so therefore right as they take center you attack with f-smash or something. How do you set up these kind of things effectively?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
The second one abuses center much more than the first since I have more stage in the second one. Both rely on my dash patterns as well. In the first, I do two dash back dash in side-Bs. Then I move back again after the first dash back/in and then that trips up Hugs' timing as he aimed to come in and take stage and block the side-B.

For the second, I did a similar movement, but this time I started it when closer to him and with more stage as a result. This compelled him to come into me and since he didn't want me to move out then immediately move back in to attack he waited just long enough OOS to give me time to safely setup my side-B.

maclo4

Smash Apprentice
PP I've seen you say that you think marth gets way better at the very top level; could you explain why you think this is true? And do you think marth gets a lot better once you are like top 6 status or top 20, top 100 etc. I just started thinking about this because it seems like a lot of marths really struggle with the falcon and sheik mu for example. Im thinking of PPU specifically because hes one of the best marths but he seems to do better with his secondaries in certain matchups

Top Bottom