• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
There's a really simple way to build confidence in this sort of thing. You simply practice the situation over and over with a friend. If you get punished then just return to the position, no problem. It helps you just explore the position and your options without all of the fear. When you learn it's not so bad that feeling usually transfers over to matches too.

Uma

Smash Cadet
Yo so close vs chillin Kopaka Kopaka :(
If I was in Vegas I would show you how to deal with that shine cheese but obvs work on fast falling at ledge so you don't fly off, otherwise you were looking so good!

V

Smash Ace
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee it actually helps quite a lot. Sorry for it being such a broad question but I was actually looking for more of a blueprint answer so it was great. I'm very analytical and detail oriented so this method of figuring matchups out is much better for me than relying heavily on in game experience. I think for me what I'm really trying to learn is how to identify when somebody does something easily punishable. I'm so used to watching top level sets because they're much more fun to watch but going from those to mid level matches it's easier to spot when players did something unsafe or didn't choose the best option available to them. My goal is to be able to separate these skills from player vs player skills to test how good my natural instincts for the game are. There are plenty of people with a wealth of knowledge of the game who aren't the greatest players, so I'd like to figure out if I have the potential to be good or not before investing more time than necessary into the game.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
If you care enough you'll be good. If you care more about understanding the underlying mechanics than about deepening your skill, then you'll be good at game mechanics.

I would suggest thinking of what you want your outcome to be and how exactly you want to get there. The more specific you are the easier it will be to navigate and get the exact feedback you want.

V

Smash Ace
To try to be more specific, I've been playing this game since the day it came out, and I've been into watching top level melee for the last six years. I've learned a lot about the game just through that, but because of various life circumstances I've never been able to delve into it and play people as much as I've wanted to. With as much as I love this game I'd hate to wonder what kind of player I could have been, but at this point if it's going to be more of an uphill battle than I can realistically put the time into, it might be better for me to remain a spectator and enjoy what players like you can do and bring to the game. My goal is to learn as much as I can on my own before getting out there to play people that way I'm not trying to figure out matchups in real time in addition to trying to improve my skill as a player all at once. If I can tackle enough of the knowledge aspect so that I know my success or lack of is because of my skill, then I can more accurately identify the amount of effort it would take for me to become good. Everybody has a different amount of natural ability for the game and I don't know what mine is.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
Uma Uma Thanks dude :) I had never been hit with those shines before at least in the matter that chillin dude to me but at least now I'm aware of it lol. I'll keep grinding and attending! I know I can do it :D

Dr Peepee Dr Peepee - " and remember your love for the game should be stronger than your fear of those players so make the most of your opportunities. "

Bare with me, there is a question in here somewhere, as what I'm about to write is an observation of my own first-hand experience at evo.

The human aspect of the game is actually crazy to me. I've seen that I've played my personal best Melee when my real and honest love for competing, especially competing on the big stage, completely trumped any fear of under-performing or choking. It is interesting to read about that sort of thing from you, but to actually experience it first hand, is something else entirely.

In this state, of course I've messed up and gone for things that looking back were not the greatest choices, but I never once beat myself up over those choices because I was just so in love with the experience.

I'll be honest, as I write this, it is very difficult to come up with a question besides...Do you have any sort of tips for me so that I do not see myself fall into burnout or depression or becoming unmotivated to keep going? My dream is to compete on the biggest stages as long as I possibly can, and I really want to hold onto my love of that experience so that it carries me above any doubt, or fear that I may feel before competing against other players that are way better than I am currently. I can think of a bunch of situations where it would be difficult to remember my love for competition, like crowds cheering against me, the other guy being way better than I am, being way better than I am and playing a character I am not too strong against, maybe being in an unfamiliar environment, etc.

It is crazy, I do not remember feeling any fear before I had to play Chillindude. I was just so excited to compete. Of course I must go to locals and keep practicing and keep honing my craft, and even though I lost, and did not make it out of my pool, the support I got was personally massive to me. I do not want to be afraid, especially at locals or other tournaments that I attend against players I am unfamiliar with. Maybe there will always be some sort of fear somewhere, as we are human and that could be just natural? Maybe I have to practice the fear out of me? But even though I did practice a lot prior to evo, the fear hit me like a train the morning of the tournament, but once I got up there, everything just sort of faded into the background.

I do not want to look like I'm asking you for advice just because it is cool to see you write to me, or that I'm tooting my own horn or something, but I honestly would just love any sort of guidance at this point to keep me on the right track.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
First of all, I'm pretty glad you made moves at the event. Makes the forum look good LOL. But seriously I'm happy for you going out there and proving yourself/overcoming your fear =)

Anxiety and excitement are run in the body the same way physiologically, but the meaning we give it changes how we use that energy. A study I've seen that had people relabel their anxiety as excitement saw a significant improvement in people's performance based on that alone. As usual, we need to be very aware of the meaning we give things and adjust if it isn't in line with our ideal ways of perceiving the world.

The single BIGGEST problem with mentality that I have yet to see anyone, including myself, avoid is to get satisfied. You must be extremely vigilant to beat this. Sometimes it takes getting top 50, top 20 or even top 1 to get satisfied but it tends to happen to everyone at some point. Despite me more or less knowing it I still messed up my health really badly after winning Apex 2015 so let me be a cautionary tale. There is a way around the satisfaction though. It's composed of two parts really. The first is to keep your body healthy. If you do this you'll have more mental energy to notice problems and keep from slipping/having issues bleed over into your game. The other way is daily mental vigilance. I personally took at least a couple hours a day to meditate and in that time would think of my goals and how strong my opponents were and how much more I needed to learn, etc. During and at the end of it I would feel the weight of random hateful comments online or my own doubts dissolve and I would be much more focused as well as happier and hungrier to improve. For a simple way to build this I can suggest this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waYNEDZxEPY , but you can also look up Tony Robbins "hour of power" for a longer version. I personally like adding more meditative elements myself to practice keeping my mind clear and to practice clearing my mind so I only have what's necessary in it, but everyone has their own way.

I don't think fear even during Evo is guaranteed for serious competitors, but it's extremely difficult to overcome and takes lots of training including what I've said here. I encourage you to keep pushing and learn more about it =)

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
Thank you immensely. I understand, I'll take some time to internalize all of this and put it into practice and experience first hand what it feels like for me personally to go through all of this and to keep learning. Thank you.

Last edited:

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
First of all, I'm pretty glad you made moves at the event. Makes the forum look good LOL. But seriously I'm happy for you going out there and proving yourself/overcoming your fear =)

Anxiety and excitement are run in the body the same way physiologically, but the meaning we give it changes how we use that energy. A study I've seen that had people relabel their anxiety as excitement saw a significant improvement in people's performance based on that alone. As usual, we need to be very aware of the meaning we give things and adjust if it isn't in line with our ideal ways of perceiving the world.

The single BIGGEST problem with mentality that I have yet to see anyone, including myself, avoid is to get satisfied. You must be extremely vigilant to beat this. Sometimes it takes getting top 50, top 20 or even top 1 to get satisfied but it tends to happen to everyone at some point. Despite me more or less knowing it I still messed up my health really badly after winning Apex 2015 so let me be a cautionary tale. There is a way around the satisfaction though. It's composed of two parts really. The first is to keep your body healthy. If you do this you'll have more mental energy to notice problems and keep from slipping/having issues bleed over into your game. The other way is daily mental vigilance. I personally took at least a couple hours a day to meditate and in that time would think of my goals and how strong my opponents were and how much more I needed to learn, etc. During and at the end of it I would feel the weight of random hateful comments online or my own doubts dissolve and I would be much more focused as well as happier and hungrier to improve. For a simple way to build this I can suggest this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waYNEDZxEPY , but you can also look up Tony Robbins "hour of power" for a longer version. I personally like adding more meditative elements myself to practice keeping my mind clear and to practice clearing my mind so I only have what's necessary in it, but everyone has their own way.

I don't think fear even during Evo is guaranteed for serious competitors, but it's extremely difficult to overcome and takes lots of training including what I've said here. I encourage you to keep pushing and learn more about it =)
I just wanted to take the time to say this: your psychological advice is honestly amazing, even if it's not directly towards me. All things considered, I tend to keep my mentality in check, but this is just another level. I always felt some form of inferiority when I fight someone better than me, which has held me back to some capacity in many occasions, but I'll definitely attempt to re-label my nervousness/anxiety to excitement with the raw love of competition. Two-factor theory heh. With such an ignored aspect of competition, I'm extremely grateful you're around to give us these kinds of advice as well as meticulous game advice.

Speaking of game advice, when do you feel the need to jump vs. Fox? At low percents, I feel like it's the last thing I would want to do since my aerials won't knock them down and they can CC, but then I get oppressed by Fox's swiftness and fast aerials that for me is hard to deal with on the ground. Once at higher percents, I feel like aerials are a viable option, but I think I'm missing some fundamental rule here regarding ground game vs. Fox.

Additionally, what advice do you have to Foxes that circle camp with platforms like Battlefield? They just keep retreating to top platform when I think they're going to nair in, and I have a hard time thinking of a solution against this.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
If I do my advice correctly then it should be many people that benefit from it =p I'm glad I can help!

You don't ever really want to jump in on Fox unless you're doing that slow drift in or you just know they will jump/shield/take the hit. CC is good vs Marth's aerials but if you're spaced and at least in place(or definitely retreating) there's no way for your aerials to be punished, especially Nair(or Dair I guess?). You're welcome to test this for yourself and see if they can punish different Fairs and that might help you understand their safety better. Fair(tippered) and Nair also knock down pretty early against ASDI down so be sure to learn those percents too. Watching Zain may be useful as well since he uses aerials a ton against Fox.

Well you need to identify why you think they will move in. Is it because you got near them? Is it because you keep countering them coming in? Is it because they're scared of Marth or got punished hard recently? At any rate you need to figure out the factors. As for circle camping itself it doesn't matter too much, just learn Fox's triggers for going high and then you can exploit it(and if you can't directly exploit it sometimes, then you can always learn how to beat the next position).

AirFair

Marth tho
Good stuff Kopaka! really enjoyed watching your set =)

I'm down to talk it about it if you feel like hitting me up

the forum grows stronger!

Last edited:

Maharg

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately everyone I play with (surprisingly) aren't spacies mains. The only person close to that plays Falcon.
So first how could I learn the spacies matchup besides just watching tape.
Also, everyone I play against doesn't have any form of tech skill not even L-Canceling (maybe DI MAYBE). But they have good neutral.
So how do I learn how to cope with immense speed coming at me, because I have my tech down I just have never played against someone with good tech
Finally, I know this is probably white noise to you but I hope you get well and come back to Melee.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff Kopaka! really enjoyed watching your set =)

I'm down to talk it about it if you feel like hitting me up

the forum grows stronger!
Thank you =) Sure, I think I'm down to talk shop about it, so just message me on facebook :) I'm also thinking about writing a blog post about what the experience itself (So less about how Chillin and I played/no real melee talk at all) meant to me personally if that sounds interesting to anyone since it's been kind of wild to go from being very nooby, to having people I've never met before and friends from highschool I had not seen in person in years give me support after the set finished. It's been absolutely surreal and I never would have thought that my work would get me to this point in a million years. It's only been a small taste, but it feels like so much to me. I think it's important though to understand that anything can happen if you care enough and just stuck with it. (Which believe me, is paradoxically difficult for me to understand right now even after the set has finished! It's always a work in progress it seems haha)

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Unfortunately everyone I play with (surprisingly) aren't spacies mains. The only person close to that plays Falcon.
So first how could I learn the spacies matchup besides just watching tape.
Also, everyone I play against doesn't have any form of tech skill not even L-Canceling (maybe DI MAYBE). But they have good neutral.
So how do I learn how to cope with immense speed coming at me, because I have my tech down I just have never played against someone with good tech
Finally, I know this is probably white noise to you but I hope you get well and come back to Melee.
Netplay is one way. Asking your friends to pick up a spacie might be another. You can also use the 20XX playback feature to at least work on countering typical spacie plays so you're prepared for common actions.

Thank you! =)

maclo4

Smash Apprentice
Small question, do you think its worth learning pivot fair (like actually pivot->jump->fair) instead of just doing the jump close to when you turn around in the dd? Im getting better at pivoting but it feels so technical considering you can do a really similar thing without having to be frame perfect if you just jump right after you turn around

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
Hey random question, but what's the best way to juggle a character like Jigglypuff and Kirby? I guess specifically counterplay to the multiple jumps.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Small question, do you think its worth learning pivot fair (like actually pivot->jump->fair) instead of just doing the jump close to when you turn around in the dd? Im getting better at pivoting but it feels so technical considering you can do a really similar thing without having to be frame perfect if you just jump right after you turn around
It can have the same effect, but sometimes moving forward a bit can be the difference between winning and losing an interaction. I think it's not unreasonable to get consistent at the pivot Fair, but all the same if you find results are fine regardless then just use either I suppose.

Hey random question, but what's the best way to juggle a character like Jigglypuff and Kirby? I guess specifically counterplay to the multiple jumps.
I always stay diagonally down between them and the center. I'm close enough to FH/DJ and hit them but definitely going to make it hard for them to pass over me. Then I'll threaten some SHs sometimes because you can DJ out of it and hit them, occasionally do a dash or two so I can reposition. I'll also just stand sometimes and move with them or drift with them so I can land and hit Utilt or let them exhaust more jumps before I swing since they will be less able to avoid me/more likely to go into me to get me to stop threatening them. Works similarly with Peach, and some parts work with juggling in general.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Some questions about throwing Peach:

At low percents, if I f-throw and she DIs in, it's imperative that I land the tipper fair so it knocks her down, right? Or would going for a nair not be a bad idea? Are there any opportunities for regrabs on Peach at low percent?

At higher percents, like 100-130%, I know that f-throw on Peach can lead into a Tipper F-smash, but that is only on DI in or no DI to my understanding. If she DIs away, then you can't get a guaranteed follow up. Is there a different throw that I could mix up Peach with when she wants to DI the f-throw away that would lead into a guaranteed follow up? If not guaranteed, then maybe a favorable position?

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee I'm reading The Art of Learning atm, and while I could (and probably will lol) ask a lot of questions about the philosophies Waitzkin posits, this evening I finished the chapter where he goes into some details about the way movement works in Tai Chi Chuan. Thinking about how these principles of "non-resistence" and "creating a powerful force with almost no effort" could be applied to Melee (particularly Marth's movement) is really fascinating to me.

Idk if it's because I picked up this book per your recommendation, but reading Waitzkin's descriptions on how the martial art feels, and how it feels to move one's body when practicing, brought my mind to your Marth; so I wanted to ask if martial arts have played a role in you developing your movement? And if so, how? Is there any way you've structured your training to apply principles like these? Sorry if it's kind of a vague question, but this framework for thinking about movement in Melee is new to me, and I'm hyped to learn/theorize some applications, given you have experience to draw from.

ridemyboat

Smash Apprentice
Dr. PeePee, why don't Marths use downsmash against floaties in neutral (as a counterpoke)?

OK, hear me out. The move comes out super fast. It kills early. You can use it when they're in the air. If they're in the air, they're going up or off stage, regardless of what hitbox collides with them or how they di. It's safer than it looks on the ground, depending on what the opponent is trying to do.

I've started using this move against ******* puffs that try to space with later bairs, and Samus and other characters that get juggled hard seem to have a really bad time. And a lot of floaties don't mix up their landing position, so you can often walk forward and do it.

I think there was a question about whether you can play Marth slowly, and down smash honestly is an amazing, amazing A++++ counterpoke tool that I haven't seen anyone utilize against floaties.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
On the subject of "Less is More," (or conditioning for that matter) to what extent should it be taken?

My current understanding, however wrong it may be in my mind atm, of Less is More is that it's ultimately a conditioning tool, where Marth shouldn't swing carelessly primarily because of his end-lag that leaves him open. However, it does set a zoning precedent in which opponents would feel intimidated of Marth's raw range of his sword. My question here is to at what point do you swing?

I've had some instances where I got punished hard for not attacking first, such as in a Marth mirror where I corner the enemy Marth by the ledge. I expected the Marth to shield because of my threat of d-tilt, but instead he does a raw dash attack to punish me for doing nothing. Am I simply not being observant enough with my conditioning? Ex is: https://youtu.be/z4nIsgxkTXA?t=22s and once again https://youtu.be/z4nIsgxkTXA?t=6m48s

On the flip-side where I swing first, such as when Fox is lasering me at a neutral start position, often times I'm punished with nair when I attempt to d-tilt. Is the concept of Less of More is really ultimately observing/conditioning your opponent?

Tbh idk if i'm really asking the right questions regarding the topic, but I feel like your clarifications would help a lot. Still learning as a noob haha.

Also dumb question but what's the optimal punish of upsmash on my shield where shield grabbing is too far away? I always get stuck in what to do and then Fox is out of lag, and I doubt up-smash is safe on shield lol. However, it seems like I'm too slow with WD OoS grab, so is it a matter of practice?

Off-tangent questions: What kind of questions do you like answering the most? What kind of answers did you think was best advice you've given?

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
On the subject of "Less is More," (or conditioning for that matter) to what extent should it be taken?

My current understanding, however wrong it may be in my mind atm, of Less is More is that it's ultimately a conditioning tool, where Marth shouldn't swing carelessly primarily because of his end-lag that leaves him open. However, it does set a zoning precedent in which opponents would feel intimidated of Marth's raw range of his sword. My question here is to at what point do you swing?

I've had some instances where I got punished hard for not attacking first, such as in a Marth mirror where I corner the enemy Marth by the ledge. I expected the Marth to shield because of my threat of d-tilt, but instead he does a raw dash attack to punish me for doing nothing. Am I simply not being observant enough with my conditioning? Ex is: https://youtu.be/z4nIsgxkTXA?t=22s and once again https://youtu.be/z4nIsgxkTXA?t=6m48s

On the flip-side where I swing first, such as when Fox is lasering me at a neutral start position, often times I'm punished with nair when I attempt to d-tilt. Is the concept of Less of More is really ultimately observing/conditioning your opponent?

Tbh idk if i'm really asking the right questions regarding the topic, but I feel like your clarifications would help a lot. Still learning as a noob haha.

Also dumb question but what's the optimal punish of upsmash on my shield where shield grabbing is too far away? I always get stuck in what to do and then Fox is out of lag, and I doubt up-smash is safe on shield lol. However, it seems like I'm too slow with WD OoS grab, so is it a matter of practice?

Off-tangent questions: What kind of questions do you like answering the most? What kind of answers did you think was best advice you've given?
In the situation you presented, there are a lot of possible options. First and foremost, you want to have answers to the opponent's options, so knowing what beats the dash attack is key. Dash away, dash sh rising fair, true CC, anti-approach d-tilt, and dashing towards and past them would all have worked.

About the situation: The opponent is cornered, you are actionable at similar points of time, and in each other's threatzones. This alone is enough to provoke the opponent into doing something, and standing there doesn't accomplish what you tried to do with it. Another thing to think about is what cornering an opponent actually means: you have the option to dash away from threatzones while they don't.

Even if you want to read a certain option, you need to account for the possibility of the opponent doing something else.

PP probably has more insight regarding conditioning etc., I don't feel qualified to talk about that part.

WD OoS->grab is the correct option, it needs precision because you have very little leniency and need to estimate the shieldstun correctly.

Dr. PeePee, why don't Marths use downsmash against floaties in neutral (as a counterpoke)?

OK, hear me out. The move comes out super fast. It kills early. You can use it when they're in the air. If they're in the air, they're going up or off stage, regardless of what hitbox collides with them or how they di. It's safer than it looks on the ground, depending on what the opponent is trying to do.

I've started using this move against ******* puffs that try to space with later bairs, and Samus and other characters that get juggled hard seem to have a really bad time. And a lot of floaties don't mix up their landing position, so you can often walk forward and do it.

I think there was a question about whether you can play Marth slowly, and down smash honestly is an amazing, amazing A++++ counterpoke tool that I haven't seen anyone utilize against floaties.
Not PP but if they mixup their options well enough the risk/reward is just not worth, especially against Jigglypuff who will rest you (d-smash takes soooooo long) and can provoke the d-smash by pretending to land and then using an air jump almost without risk.
If you have a read on them, you could go for it, but if you have them figured out to that extent there are more consistent ways of exploiting it.

At low percents, if I f-throw and she DIs in, it's imperative that I land the tipper fair so it knocks her down, right? Or would going for a nair not be a bad idea? Are there any opportunities for regrabs on Peach at low percent?

At higher percents, like 100-130%, I know that f-throw on Peach can lead into a Tipper F-smash, but that is only on DI in or no DI to my understanding. If she DIs away, then you can't get a guaranteed follow up. Is there a different throw that I could mix up Peach with when she wants to DI the f-throw away that would lead into a guaranteed follow up? If not guaranteed, then maybe a favorable position?
Nair also leads to a knockdown from 13% on, so the knockdown isn't the problem. It is a case of the move with the higher knockback angle (tipper fair: 67°, nair:sakurai angle=45°) being superior because you can't escape as easily with down+away DI.

At high %, you don't have any throw that follows up vs DI down+away. Despite that DI down+away is not always the best.
If f-throw won't send them offstage at all DI down+away will lead to a knockdown, so potentially a followup. Peach could go for the DI that is almost down+away where hitstun runs out right before she hits the ground so she can waveland out. I don't know if you can get a followup while she is still in hitstun (might be %-dependent), if yes Peach should DI down+away and accept the knockdown, while if no, Peach could get out of f-throw for free, in which case you should probably up-throw.
If you barely send them offstage, they are safe if they do the previously described actionable-before-knockdown DI, because Peach can either grab the ledge or float to ledge if the distance is a little bit greater.
If you send them far offstage, this won't do it because Marth would be in time to cover it, and Peach needs to do something along the lines of no-DI while not being susceptible against fj fair or similar options like if she DIs in.

D-throw doesn't have enough frame advantage to lead to true followups, but it can be used to create edgeguard scenarios and there are niche scenarios at low %s because while Peach is actionable, airdodging can also be beat and her attacks are outranged, like here.

delaysb

Smash Rookie
Hey PP, I feel like you may have already answered this question so I apologize if you have. You recently responded to a question on Twitter asking about taking your movement to the next level and you mentioned having a solid foundation. Would this foundation be along the lines of understanding positions and threatening ranges of both players and learning about how your moves influence your opponent? Is there more to this that hasn't been discussed recently on the board? I've been trying hard to understand the game more deeply and on a more fundamental level and the marth boards have been AMAZING so thanks to everyone that contributes on here :)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer

Yeah you usually want to Nair or tipper Fair, both are good. If you can ever confidently get Nair over Fair at low percent I'd usually take that unless Peach is pretty close to the edge. I don't think you can regrab at low percent.

You might be able to hit away but not down/down and away. It's not something I think is worth going for at that point. You can mix Fthrow/Dthrow but occasionally you'll risk giving Peach center for free if she guesses right/you're slow. I usually just throw her toward the edge because that position is still terrible, and once in a while mix in opposite direction throw since it's unlikely she'll be doing proper DI then.

Dr Peepee Dr Peepee I'm reading The Art of Learning atm, and while I could (and probably will lol) ask a lot of questions about the philosophies Waitzkin posits, this evening I finished the chapter where he goes into some details about the way movement works in Tai Chi Chuan. Thinking about how these principles of "non-resistence" and "creating a powerful force with almost no effort" could be applied to Melee (particularly Marth's movement) is really fascinating to me.

Idk if it's because I picked up this book per your recommendation, but reading Waitzkin's descriptions on how the martial art feels, and how it feels to move one's body when practicing, brought my mind to your Marth; so I wanted to ask if martial arts have played a role in you developing your movement? And if so, how? Is there any way you've structured your training to apply principles like these? Sorry if it's kind of a vague question, but this framework for thinking about movement in Melee is new to me, and I'm hyped to learn/theorize some applications, given you have experience to draw from.
Martial arts have heavily influenced my movement. This was the case as I developed my Marth to a co-main and reinvented my Falco. Aside from how it fueled my pvp understanding, the main thing I took away from it(besides getting better understanding of simplicity, etc) is shadowboxing. The idea that I can be doing things and know partly or entirely how my opponent will respond, and then immediately readjusting for the next categorical/specific action and continuing to push my boundaries and ideas as far as they can go quickly is just so potent to me. I also had my training improved by thinking about how practicing basic actions actually had very deep consequences, and I needed to think seriously about those actions as I did them. This is why I start all of my sessions with WD'ing across the stage, as some may recall from my streams. Hopefully this helps a little.

For one, many Marths are DD'ing a lot so they'd have to pivot Dsmash which is quite a risk. For another, the lag is obviously horrendous and against Puff you don't really want to give rest invitations lol. But it's pretty interesting to say you can see where they will land and walk forward and Dsmash(I'm thinking of Puff with Nair already out who cannot airdodge as an example). That could be pretty reliable, and if so would mean it's very much worth doing. If you can show examples of what you're doing that would be pretty helpful too I think.

In your first example, it looks to me as if you are both swinging quite a bit and there was no Dtilt threat as you only turned around as you Fsmashed. The lag of Fsmash and inability to move around much afterward likely invited your opponent to move in. Had you not done the Fsmash in the first place you likely would have been able to control the position better, but even so you could have still reacted to what your opponent did.

LOL that second example you actually get exactly what you want! The opponent spotdodged. You waited correctly and could have abused this persons lag from Fsmash. Instead it seemed you want to wait longer until they run into you or Fair in place or something, and that's why you WD'd away and got hit by dash attack(which was reckless on your opponent's part unless they knew you'd move away when they came in). I could say more but I think this could be pretty useful for you.

Hey PP, I feel like you may have already answered this question so I apologize if you have. You recently responded to a question on Twitter asking about taking your movement to the next level and you mentioned having a solid foundation. Would this foundation be along the lines of understanding positions and threatening ranges of both players and learning about how your moves influence your opponent? Is there more to this that hasn't been discussed recently on the board? I've been trying hard to understand the game more deeply and on a more fundamental level and the marth boards have been AMAZING so thanks to everyone that contributes on here :)
Yes it's all of those things. It's about learning positions, learning your threats, examining your tools and how they work together with your character traits, as well as understanding stages and threats of your opponents. The main idea is to just learn the game first, because if you want to manipulate people it has to come through the game.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Okay now I have some questions about up-throwing Peach on flatter stages like FD and PS.

I know near the edge it's probably better to just f-throw or down-throw her to get her off stage and start an edgeguarding situation, but when she's more in center, I'm not sure whether putting her in the air with an up-throw gives me a lot of control, or if it's just better to f-throw and try to get a fair, nair, or dash attack follow-up. Having Peach above you provides you with a big advantage, so when would be times to use it over not using it aside from the edge example that I already gave?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I like Fthrow even in center because you can do that thing M2K does where he does the Fair and can react to roll with grab so it's guaranteed damage as opposed to painfully long damage from uthrow. You can just regular regrab or do the Nair on no tech/tech in place into combo/tipper Fsmash thing I do as well. Plus if you're in center you're putting her by the corner with your Fthrow which is always nice.

ridemyboat

Smash Apprentice
Not PP but if they mixup their options well enough the risk/reward is just not worth, especially against Jigglypuff who will rest you (d-smash takes soooooo long) and can provoke the d-smash by pretending to land and then using an air jump almost without risk.
If you have a read on them, you could go for it, but if you have them figured out to that extent there are more consistent ways of exploiting it.
Oh yeah, I don't mean as a read. I think it's garbage as a read. I'm referring to positions where they are trying to poke you with the expectation of your punishes being grab, downtilt or maybe fair. I'll list examples.

For one, many Marths are DD'ing a lot so they'd have to pivot Dsmash which is quite a risk. For another, the lag is obviously horrendous and against Puff you don't really want to give rest invitations lol. But it's pretty interesting to say you can see where they will land and walk forward and Dsmash(I'm thinking of Puff with Nair already out who cannot airdodge as an example). That could be pretty reliable, and if so would mean it's very much worth doing. If you can show examples of what you're doing that would be pretty helpful too I think.
Puffs nair is a great example of what I'm talking about, since it has great AC frames but godawful IASA frames. Puff can't jump out a full hop nair, ever. So if she moves forward with a nair, you're pretty much guaranteed a dsmash. I also mean in general, for aerials that are done at certain heights where they can no longer jump out.

And you know how Samus sometimes tries to ftilt? That is dsmash range. You can whiff punish or cc punish their ftilt with dsmash really easily. Thats waaay better than dtilt, because Samus's entire game is built around cc punishing, and a misspaced dtilt is a cc dtilt from Samus which launches you in the air. Meanwhile, Marth's dsmash launches Samus in the air if it's spaced or they get knocked down.

You can do it to Sheik when she is zoning with fair, to Luigi pretty much whenever he hits you with a grounded move, Marth on certain rising fairs and lots of his nairs.

I think that Peach has better hitboxes, but I haven't tried it against her yet.

Also, suppose that your opponent starts trying to build counterplay around your dsmash. Who cares? They've double jumped into the air or airdodged or something, which you can react to and juggle them. So next time wait a bit before you commit to dsmash, and before you know it they're in the air without you committing to anything.

Seriously, you can make people ragequit with dsmash. It is gooood if you use it right.

Last edited:

Aksorz1336

Smash Rookie
Are there any recognized information about the Marth vs Pikachu MU? There's hardly anyone talking about it from Marth's side of view. There's always some stray Pikas in tournaments though and I don't want to be caught off guard when I get to face one!

Mainly wondering what to look for when edgeguarding the rat and what to look for from throws. Links to useful sources would also be nice.

Any and all help is appreciated!

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
Are there any recognized information about the Marth vs Pikachu MU? There's hardly anyone talking about it from Marth's side of view. There's always some stray Pikas in tournaments though and I don't want to be caught off guard when I get to face one!

Mainly wondering what to look for when edgeguarding the rat and what to look for from throws. Links to useful sources would also be nice.

I think a reason why Pikachu can be a confusing matchup for Marth is because you don't often have as clear of an idea of what you'll be doing after landing a hit. Hitting Fox at a certain point with tipper F-air/D-tilt will almost always lead to a tech chase scenario. Against a floaty, landing a square hit will much more often lead to a juggling situation. Characters like Pikachu are mixed in that some of your hits will open up juggles while others will make them tech, so you have to be prepared to do both so that you don't drop a punish.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
Hey PP, regarding mentality, what's your advice when you know for sure you're not playing your A-game and more like a C-game? Obviously one answer is to not go, but I really love attending locals, and I felt like it was an opportunity to see how I can deal with outside circumstances. I attended my local with several factors that handicapped me from playing my best, so I wasn't sure what my main purpose was supposed to be. I found that sets that went by pretty long would deteriorate my gameplan, and I felt my concentration slipping. Although I did as expected according to my seed, I felt somewhat disappointed I couldn't do more but it is what it is I guess.

Also, what do you do when Peach pulls a stitch? I had a game where a Peach pulled 3 stitch faces and that didn't go so well lol. Additionally when Peach respawns, she will surely pull a turnip. I feel like retreating is the wrong answer as I'm giving her so much space, which is very apparent in wide stages like FD. What's your gameplan around that?

Last edited:

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
"I also had my training improved by thinking about how practicing basic actions actually had very deep consequences, and I needed to think seriously about those actions as I did them.

Dr Peepee Dr Peepee Even as a top player you would do this? It really has that much of a consequence? That's very powerful...Do you think you could expand or maybe confirm why I think that's important? Is it because like you have said before along the lines of "Practice like how you would play". So dash dancing at lightning speed may actually cause you to dash dance at lightning speed when in tournament?

Is this something I have to really focus on in solo-practice, making sure I deeply understand the point of my inputs instead of just gliding across the stage? That gives such a new meaning to practice. That actually makes it seem like real practice of an art or something, instead of just some stimulus to give my hands. And I really want to differentiate actual practice and just pressing buttons on a controller just because it feels good. It's like I want to practice practicing itself. Does that make any sense? I want to get my practice better. I actually want to understand why I would do anything in practice...so I want to practice practicing so I can better practice for tournaments of all sizes, or something lol

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer

Most Marths don't talk about it. TAI lurks around here some so hopefully he will clarify stuff I can say, especially about throws.

For edgeguarding, if you want to hit Pikachu going up and then diagonally down to the edge when starting low, you must go all the way or basically all the way to the edge and Fsmash/Dtilt. You also have to swing after the first part of quick attack and not right when it starts. You could also just WD to edge then. If Pikachu decides to go onstage generally there's a lot of lag on landing so if you whiff Dtilt you could still punish presumably(especially if Pika goes through you since QA doesn't stun much).

From throws I honestly don't know what you can do to tipper etc if Pika DIs away/down and away on Fthrow so I usually think Uthrow is better(unless you like playing for position I guess?). You can't always directly combo with FH Uair/Fair/Bair out of Uthrow but I know you can swing and force the jump. Then you just have to worry about falling Dair. I THINK the way m2k dealt with this was by jumping(no aerial) and then reacting to Axe's jump and DJ aerialing before Dair came out, but he was also really good at hitting Fair on the side of Pika Dair so it wouldn't trade with/beat his moves. If you can find m2k playing marth against Axe I'd just watch that tbh.

Hey PP, regarding mentality, what's your advice when you know for sure you're not playing your A-game and more like a C-game? Obviously one answer is to not go, but I really love attending locals, and I felt like it was an opportunity to see how I can deal with outside circumstances. I attended my local with several factors that handicapped me from playing my best, so I wasn't sure what my main purpose was supposed to be. I found that sets that went by pretty long would deteriorate my gameplan, and I felt my concentration slipping. Although I did as expected according to my seed, I felt somewhat disappointed I couldn't do more but it is what it is I guess.

Also, what do you do when Peach pulls a stitch? I had a game where a Peach pulled 3 stitch faces and that didn't go so well lol. Additionally when Peach respawns, she will surely pull a turnip. I feel like retreating is the wrong answer as I'm giving her so much space, which is very apparent in wide stages like FD. What's your gameplan around that?
The number one thing to do when not playing your best is to figure out exactly why and get those factors under control. Also, it can really be helpful to create backup plans that rely much more on big reward reads then normal plans. For example, you can try to Nair/tipper more out of tech chases instead of forcing regrabs, and you can do similar things with neutral(moving less watching more for a few things makes it easier).

I rush Peaches down who have a stitch unless they're also aggressive. If you get close to Peach she can't really dash attack or Dsmash or anything and aerials are harder, so I just bully her lol. If they're aggressive they'll probably just throw it quickly anyway so I just let them come in and throw it or go under them if they tried to approach with fh turnip throw.
As for when she respawns, you can use some platform stuff against her because her vertical play isn't great, but even cornering yourself isn't terrible against her. However since you get chances to cross her up if she's jumping or running toward you and is slow to get into position anyway, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just don't do the same thing all the time if you see it's not working.

"I also had my training improved by thinking about how practicing basic actions actually had very deep consequences, and I needed to think seriously about those actions as I did them.

Dr Peepee Dr Peepee Even as a top player you would do this? It really has that much of a consequence? That's very powerful...Do you think you could expand or maybe confirm why I think that's important? Is it because like you have said before along the lines of "Practice like how you would play". So dash dancing at lightning speed may actually cause you to dash dance at lightning speed when in tournament?

Is this something I have to really focus on in solo-practice, making sure I deeply understand the point of my inputs instead of just gliding across the stage? That gives such a new meaning to practice. That actually makes it seem like real practice of an art or something, instead of just some stimulus to give my hands. And I really want to differentiate actual practice and just pressing buttons on a controller just because it feels good. It's like I want to practice practicing itself. Does that make any sense? I want to get my practice better. I actually want to understand why I would do anything in practice...so I want to practice practicing so I can better practice for tournaments of all sizes, or something lol
I didn't start doing it until I was a top player, and I got enormous reward from it. In this case, it's building a foundation for "practice like you play." In a match you won't WD across the stage 500 times, but when you do WD you want to feel very connected to the tool. If you do this correctly then it is and isn't directly applicable to a match. The problem with people spazzing out and going all over the stage in training is they aren't practicing anything that works on actual people. They have to play and figure out positions and the opponents' rhythm. Basically it's not applicable at all and just causes people to look awkward in matches. When I say "practice like you play" it doesn't mean go slow, it means practice in a way you can actually use, through building tools you understand well.

And yes, to me(and science/anecdotes I've read), if you're practicing actions and you don't know why, then you're wasting your time. Completely. I'd be much more appreciative of the player who practices WD and edgedash over and over with feeling then with a player who does everything but just does them all without thinking. Practice should be purposeful. My way isn't the only way to make it purposeful, but it is a great way to really deepen your understanding.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Kopaka Kopaka
Not a top player, but here are my observations: I think one of the biggest things that separates better from worse players is how they take the opponent's actions into account at every point of time at which a decision is to be made.
Practicing the same tech without connecting it to the situations where it could be applied results in pre-constructed sequences, which results in unflexible play and not responding to situations appropriately.
Being aware of everything one could do in a given situation and being able to decide on an option spontaneously (simulating the situation where this would be your action of choice) should therefore be practiced. You could also think of how you would respond to an action by your opponent in a given moment.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Kopaka Kopaka

Saw your set with Chillin. 3 main things I'd suggest working on are:

1. Cut drastically down on unnecessary movement(and improve corner pressure, they're related)

2. Punish way harder

3. Don't Nair on Battlefield

Hope this helps.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
So i finally finished The Inner Game of Tennis and i think right now the one thing that stands out to me in comparison to the thoughts and ideas Tim had when teaching/playing tennis is that tennis is a game that you play with your body, we are already so aware of how are body moves and can move and we are inherently born to know this. This causes people to be able to optimize and learn with self 2 so much more naturally. With smash its not that we are learning how to move our hands properly (though this is a factor) its that we are learning how our hands make our characters body move. Not getting the inherent input output distinction with our muscles means that when we do something wrong in smash there are many factors that could contribute to why and idea or action didnt work correctly or as intended and self 2 may not inherently know which was the cause.

Dr Peepee Dr Peepee what are your thoughts on this? If you agree, then do you feel there are strategies we can use to help self 2 without getting self 1 massively involved in the process?

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
Kopaka Kopaka

Saw your set with Chillin. 3 main things I'd suggest working on are:

1. Cut drastically down on unnecessary movement(and improve corner pressure, they're related)

2. Punish way harder

3. Don't Nair on Battlefield

Hope this helps.
Goodness, I'm very flattered you did that.

Thank you, I can definitely see what you're talking about and relate heavily to those things in my current play. Thank you =)

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee I'm currently trying to lab out threatening ranges for the relevant characters, but I can't seem to come up with a system that's... good lol. The idea I was working with up to now was to create a broad unit of measurement and see how much ground each move covers, but it feels very clunky, and I'm uncertain about it. But I'm not sure what to do instead? So I wanted to ask what you did to teach yourself threat ranges? How did you lab the information, and organize it and internalize it? What was your system?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hi Dr Peepee,

I was wondering what options marth has in the uncommon situation where the opponent extends with a dash attack that barely misses, but the hitboxes of the dash attack make it so pivot grab won't work.

example:

https://youtu.be/IomXcdAAt7E?t=23m55s
Just dash all the way out, stall a little, then dash in with grab usually. There's a lot you can do with DA lag.

So i finally finished The Inner Game of Tennis and i think right now the one thing that stands out to me in comparison to the thoughts and ideas Tim had when teaching/playing tennis is that tennis is a game that you play with your body, we are already so aware of how are body moves and can move and we are inherently born to know this. This causes people to be able to optimize and learn with self 2 so much more naturally. With smash its not that we are learning how to move our hands properly (though this is a factor) its that we are learning how our hands make our characters body move. Not getting the inherent input output distinction with our muscles means that when we do something wrong in smash there are many factors that could contribute to why and idea or action didnt work correctly or as intended and self 2 may not inherently know which was the cause.

Dr Peepee Dr Peepee what are your thoughts on this? If you agree, then do you feel there are strategies we can use to help self 2 without getting self 1 massively involved in the process?
I agree that it is definitely less intuitive since we're not making our actual bodies move, but we do move our hands to move our characters and the connection becomes good enough with work that the difference is not necessarily important imo. The testing I've done for myself in which I was messing something up, then visualized the input done correctly and letting my hands do the work has been relatively successful for me still. So even if the medium is different it still seems to work fine for me. I don't see why it would be different for anyone else.

Hello, so I attended my local today (as I do every week) and unfortunitly went 0-2 (its been that way for a while as of late). But... I noticed I was much more anxious and scared while playing. A friend of mine (Pooch, who trained under Umbreon for a time). Took me aside (I was very upset, you could see it in my face) and asked what happended. I told him what happended and how I worry about winning. He told me to stop thinking about winning and losing and just play. While I know this advice has a lot of merit and is something I need to work on. How did you personally overcome this obsticle? Or do you still struggle with it today?
Why were you more anxious/scared than normal? Did you carry outside stress with you? Have you been taking worse care of your body with you? Have you been talking to others who get really anxious when they play? If you don't know why then you can't start to fix it.

Your goal is not to think winning or losing don't matter really, but to accept losing and strive for winning. To put love of the game far beyond fear where fear isn't a factor anymore, only excitement. It's very difficult and requires daily mental work but it can be done.

Dr Peepee Dr Peepee I'm currently trying to lab out threatening ranges for the relevant characters, but I can't seem to come up with a system that's... good lol. The idea I was working with up to now was to create a broad unit of measurement and see how much ground each move covers, but it feels very clunky, and I'm uncertain about it. But I'm not sure what to do instead? So I wanted to ask what you did to teach yourself threat ranges? How did you lab the information, and organize it and internalize it? What was your system?
Oh you don't need measurements(though I do measure everything I can in Bowser rolls lmao). You just need to look at the approach tool that is fastest and longest, and add in some extra distance for them running forward a little before initiating(since they can fake with DD you'd need extra space). So for Marth his threatening range is dash a little WD Dtilt(in most matchups). Sheik's is run dash attack/boost grab. You get the idea. Fox's is really complicated so just keep playing with the base idea and use analysis/your own matches to see where the range(s) really is.

Top Bottom