• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Tipman

Myle

Smash Rookie
What do you think about utilizing captain falcons up air like Ganon does for edgeguarding? Is it useful?

B[r]ico

Smash Rookie
It will kinda work if you do it correctly, but Ganon's Uair is a semi-spike and has more hitstun than Falcon's, so it won't be nearly as effective. Bair is just better.

Maybe you can use Uair if they're fastfallers and trying to recover high enough that you have to DJ Bair.

Last edited:

G4n0nM4st3r

Smash Rookie
It actually doesn't matter what you hit them with when you're edgeguarding. Even jab is fine.

clarify

Smash Cadet
It will kinda work if you do it correctly, but Ganon's Uair is a semi-spike and has more hitstun than Falcon's, so it won't be nearly as effective. Bair is just better.

Maybe you can use Uair if they're fastfallers and trying to recover high enough that you have to DJ Bair.
Agreed in that Ganon's uair is flat-out better in that regard, though run off ledge into uair should still work for gimping. From my experience, the second hit of nair at higher percentages actually is hilariously effective, as it also gimps the opponent.

Where Ganon and Falcon's edgeguarding options overlap is the bair. Picking up Falcon as a secondary, one of the things I didn't need to adjust to was timing (and in most cases, effectiveness) with bair. iirc, Ganon's has more knockback and doesn't have a sweetspot in terms of timing, but if you time Falcon's bair correctly, it's still just as effective.

F!R3

Smash Rookie
Bair is super good but there's certain situations where reverse uair is better and if you space it correctly with his tippy toes it'll basically do the same thing as ganon.You'll start to recognize these situations after you start getting the bair edgeguard down

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Tipman is incredibly underrated. Bair sometimes can't reach a high recovery and tipman has enough knockback to set up for a secondary edgeguard or a ko.

m0use

Smash Rookie
I lab with this guy who's been playing competitively for 10 years and he started with Gannon. And I can tell you, without a shadow of doubt in my mind, that backwards U-AIR is endlessly useful. We play falcon dittos sometimes and he pulls off the most effective (yet fundamentally simple) edegeguards I've experienced in person. Use it to beat firefox, hit marth between his side-b's, use it for anything. NOBODY EXPECTS IT. I like to combo B-AIR into a fastfall reverse U-AIR against floaties, but like I said before, it's endlessly useful.

Top Bottom