• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Rainbow! The Hero of Mimin Island!

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I don't know if I can do this character justice but I felt like he should have his own thread.

CaptainRainbow.jpg

What is Captain Rainbow
Captain Rainbow is a 1st party Nintendo crossover game featuring forgotten or obscure Nintendo characters. It stars Nick who use to star in this superhero television series call Captain Rainbow. His show was going under so he sets out for Minmin island that supposedly grants wishes. When he gets there he meets many obscure Nintendo characters including Birdo, Takamaru, and even Little Mac. He helps each one with their problems and the game has many ways to play.

Who is Captain Rainbow
caprain2.jpg

Captain Rainbow or Nick is a yo-yo wielding superhero similar to a power ranger. He can change between Nick and Captain Rainbow in the game.

Movesets
Since I've not played the game I cannot give an accurate moveset to represent him. I could see him having a few potential movesets.

Capt./Nick Transformation
Now I know transformations isn't very popular with Smash Players but shifting between Nick and Capt. is a major thing. I feel the way to mitigate this issues is to make the transformation an offensive. For example, when Nick transforms he summons a rainbow arch that that damages anyone that touches it. When Captain transforms it causes a blinding light that stuns people around him. It would allow the transformation to be useful other than delaying the flow of the fight.

Captain Rainbow
Since this is his main fighting form I could see it being just him. He would move similar to Captain Falcon but his attacks would mostly include the Yo-yo. Kind of like Ness it would incorporate real yo-yo techniques like Walk the Dog and Around the World. He could also use it like a meteor hammer too having it coil around the body and shoot out for certain attacks. If you complain that we already have someone who uses yo-yos just look at how many sword and hammer wielders we have.

Nick
Nick by comparison would be slower but smaller than his Captain form. Kind of like Villager he would use unorthodox methods of combat like using items or actions he does in his game (but not Birdo's "?" item). Another thing he can do is use item or techniques from the other characters from the game. Like he could use Little Mac's punching combos, Takamaru sword attack, The Devil's pointing poses.

There is many different spots on this island that can be battled on. It could have be like Mario Sunshine or Skyloft where you move around to different parts of the Island to fight from time to time.
lostintranslation-screens1.jpg

large.jpg

dims.jpg

Reasons to Have Him
1. He represents another Nintendo crossover game and has relations with many characters featured in Smash.
2. He has a unique art style that would make him really pop out.
3. With more dynamic yo-yo usage than Ness, Shifting between Nick and Captain could make a rather interesting and flashy character

If you have any good move set ideas please let me know. I'm currently reading up on Yo-yo tricks and hunting techniques for inspiration. Take Care!

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Other than he is relatively unknown in the West I really can't see a reason not to have him.

I can see him having a unique moveset if he uses the yo-yo for his main attacks (not just for smash attacks like Ness). I could also see him using rainbow like attacks that can act as shields or for splash damage. Possibly be a mid range defensive character.

Here is some inspiration they could use. Jump to 3:56 to see the performance.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I still kind of wish now that Captain Rainbow WAS playable, as I would have loved to see him take on Captain Falcon. Still though, Nick's Spirit battle me question a few things. Like, why didn't they use Tomorrow's Passion as the song for that battle? I get Shin Onigashima, but still. Also, Little Mac not being in battle still kind of rubs me the wrong way.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh sweet didn't know the Captain had a thread, anyway I support. It's a longshot but just like how Nick helped forgotten characters, it's fair that now, himself a forgotten character, gets a boost from being in Smash.

Emelie

Smash Cadet
It would be nice if Nick being playable in Smash paved the way for Captain Rainbow to finally be translated into English.

But I also understand why the game could be considered controversial since there are a lot of sex jokes in the game. :crazy:

Which is a shame since the story is actually kind of touching once you look past that. These forgotten Nintendo characters just want to be loved and accepted for who they are like Birdo for example (even though most of the crude jokes revolve around her).

Although I guess Lip is cuter than Nick. :estatic:

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I don't much care for the art design in Captain Rainbow, but the idea behind it and the character designs in general look pretty cool.

I think Capt. Rainbow could make a good over the top rival to the already over the top superhero Smash already has, Capt. Falcon.

Top Bottom