• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon's moves and where they come from?

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
So according to Wikipedia it says this about Captain Falcon in Smash Bros.
"Within the game, he fights with a combination of karate, taekwondo, kung fu and street fighting."

So i was wondering which of his moves are from those martial arts the Wiki mentioned and what is the real move called?

anything that is a real move but not from a martial art would be a street fighting move...but it still has to have a real name and be a real move somebody in real life would use lol. anything that is completely made up (Like for instance i dont think a Falcon Dive is a real move anywhere lol) we'll just leave out.

I'll make a list similar in format to

*in game move*-*real life move name*-*martial art where it is from*

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
I actually originally planned on analysing Captain Falcon's moveset, but I wanted to avoid the backlash of saying anything bad about it.
(So I analysed Zero Suit Samus' instead)

A whole lot of moves between striking martial arts have similarities, we only have 4 limbs and there's only so many ways we can use them when it comes to striking.

Most of the differences come from what properties the specific martial art wishes to prioritise, Muay Thai will usually prioritise the power generated from the swing for roundhouse kicks, while Taekwondo may avoid a big swing and take a more linear path for a faster kick(they have a point scoring system). So its usually better to just call it by their standard english names.

Maturity in martial arts is actually pretty rare, Muay Thai fighters will defend their kicks tooth and nail as they believe it is the best way to kick. Same goes for Taekwondo/Karate/Kickboxing...etc.

Last edited:

Darkerorchid01

Smash Rookie
So according to Wikipedia it says this about Captain Falcon in Smash Bros.
"Within the game, he fights with a combination of karate, taekwondo, kung fu and street fighting."

So i was wondering which of his moves are from those martial arts the Wiki mentioned and what is the real move called?

anything that is a real move but not from a martial art would be a street fighting move...but it still has to have a real name and be a real move somebody in real life would use lol. anything that is completely made up (Like for instance i dont think a Falcon Dive is a real move anywhere lol) we'll just leave out.

I'll make a list similar in format to

*in game move*-*real life move name*-*martial art where it is from*
I too am interested in this exact question. Could someone find the real life names for his entire none special moves. I'm interested in seeing what they look like in real life

Darkerorchid01

Smash Rookie
I actually originally planned on analysing Captain Falcon's moveset, but I wanted to avoid the backlash of saying anything bad about it.
(So I analysed Zero Suit Samus' instead)

A whole lot of moves between striking martial arts have similarities, we only have 4 limbs and there's only so many ways we can use them when it comes to striking.

Most of the differences come from what properties the specific martial art wishes to prioritise, Muay Thai will usually prioritise the power generated from the swing for roundhouse kicks, while Taekwondo may avoid a big swing and take a more linear path for a faster kick(they have a point scoring system). So its usually better to just call it by their standard english names.

Maturity in martial arts is actually pretty rare, Muay Thai fighters will defend their kicks tooth and nail as they believe it is the best way to kick. Same goes for Taekwondo/Karate/Kickboxing...etc.
Could you analyze captain falcon and his non special moveset? I'm interested in what they are like in real life

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
im a martial artist so here is the breakdown :
- his one two punch to gentleman is a basic combo from kick boxing
- forward tilt . a side kick is a basic kick first learned on taekwando and muay thai
- his axe kick(up tilt) is also from taekwando but it has another name (dont ask me i dont remember the korean names)
- his sweep (down tilt) its a ofensive defensive move used mostly in kung fu, in MMA they teach this technique but in a different position (the sweeping is done with one leg while your body is crounching and your hands are touching the ground somewhat like ryu down smash)
- Falcon punch ( a unusual crounching straight punch) this is an entirely fantasy move
- Falcon dive , an acrobatic grab with a explosion, another fantasy move
- Falcon kick (my favorite) a dashing sobat kick , the sobat kick is originally a move from muay thai but is also used in MMA an capoeira
- Raptor boost or Falcon knuckle , a running long uppercut , the uppercuts and long uppercuts are from mostly used in boxing
- Neutral Air , dual kick , quite a difficult move , this is an advanced technique from Taekwando, mostly used to strike targets in demostrations and such
- Up air , a perfect bycycle kick , a truly acrobatic move , rarely used in the most acrobatic styles of kung fu like the monkey, in my country this move is somewhat seen in futbol and its called chilena
- Forward air , the knee , just a jumping knee strike , in kick boxing they teach you this move as means of intercepting a coming strike but the jump is just a few inches from the ground
-Down air , a full body stomp, not really from any martial art or at least not from any known to me
- Forward smash , a charging elbow strike , there are elbow strikes in the same position as this in many martial arts including kung fu, krav maga and bajiquan but its more like a quick counter attack
- Down smash , to be honest i ve never seen a kick like this anyway this is most likely a combination of a front and a rear kick but without moving the body to an horizontal position which is the most traditional for a rear kick
- Up smash ,a double crossed high roundhouse kick, this is very unique and different from the others as this move belongs to capoeira

Hope this makes you understand better the origin of C.falcon moveset, of course this is only a game and the execution of said moves in real life differ a lot

Last edited:

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
- Down smash , to be honest i ve never seen a kick like this anyway this is most likely a combination of a front and a rear kick but without moving the body to an horizontal position which is the most traditional for a rear kick
Down Smash is essentially 2 different kicks in one, if you look carefully he does twist his other leg to accommodate the downward roundhouse that hits above the knee joint[Mawashi Geri gedan], after stricking with his first kick he recovers from the swing and does a lower back side kick to the knee joint behind him with the sharp side of the foot (striking with the cuboid and metatarsal bones).

You're spot on with everything else though, but I think his F-tilt is closer to the Muay Thai Roundhouse because of his swing, Fox's F-tilt would be closer to Taekwondo's roundhouse.

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
Down Smash is essentially 2 different kicks in one, if you look carefully he does twist his other leg to accommodate the downward roundhouse that hits above the knee joint[Mawashi Geri gedan], after stricking with his first kick he recovers from the swing and does a lower back side kick to the knee joint behind him with the sharp side of the foot (striking with the cuboid and metatarsal bones).

You're spot on with everything else though, but I think his F-tilt is closer to the Muay Thai Roundhouse because of his swing, Fox's F-tilt would be closer to Taekwondo's roundhouse.
its a very unusual technique and quite possible not very effective in real life combat
you are right about that, his F-tilt is a muay thai roundhouse kick, taekwando kicks are more linear, one of the main differences between the two is the arc of the kick
BTW i forgot about his B-air :
B air - a full body backhand strike(because Captain falcon twist his body as he strikes), the backhand strike is a karate technique, quite strong and mostly used in combat with multiple foes something common in karate sparrings matchs

Last edited:

Peregrainz

Smash Rookie
late reply but falcon moves aren't based on anything...

HOWEVER, his playstyle and attributes are ripped straight from his games.

Top Bottom