• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain falcon's dash attack

With all the tweaks that have been made to all the characters can someone tell me why Captain Falcon who is the second fastest character and is one of the heaviest characters has a dash attack that can probably be punished by crouch-canceled at 200 percent. I've only passed physics 1 but mass*acceleration= force and I feel like he should have a better dash attack.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
The reason is the low angle, crouch cancelling gets more effective the lower the angle is because it works against vertical knockback which is less with a low angle.

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
Falcon's dash attack is complete ass.

I'd like to see a good move be put there.

But for some reason, improving dash attacks (COUGHLUIGICOUGH) seems to be something that's frowned upon.

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
With all the tweaks that have been made to all the characters can someone tell me why Captain Falcon who is the second fastest character and is one of the heaviest characters has a dash attack that can probably be punished by crouch-canceled at 200 percent. I've only passed physics 1 but mass*acceleration= force and I feel like he should have a better dash attack.
well if they fixed it so it cannot be CC that high of a percent i think they should give it a new look too

Kati

Smash Lord
He doesn't need a new dash attack when he can shffl a knee.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
His dash attack has one purpose: use it near the edge to fall off, then walljump knee

As an attack? Get outta here, it's balls :( No improvement will be given

Last edited:

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
His dash attack only sees use from me when there is absolutely nothing I could do fast enough for the enemy not to counter AND they are just a little bit off of the ledge. All it does is smack them a bit further and tack on a tiny amount of damage, which helps my edgeguarding afterward.

I have gotten countless kills with this move
I'm willing to believe you but tell me how many times you've been punished for it when you've hit the opponent with it. It doesn't even need to be CCed to get punished for it, even at mid-percents. I'm just getting a little mad at all the improvements everyone is getting and how every move has its point but Falcon's ground game other than grab and jab is not good and remains that way. His game doesn't have to evolve around getting new ground game options but some improvements I feel are necessary. One thing they could do is give his grab the ability to get crouching opponents.

Arctic

Smash Cadet
I don't think I have ever seen the dash attack used efficiently. Falcon can SHFFL nairs and fairs with impeccable speed. He doesn't need a new dash attack. This is project melee, yes he is not as competitive as melee quite yet but his dash attack was the same in melee. I'm all for improving falcon but this isn't the move we should advocate for imo.

Metasponge64

Smash Rookie
Who really approaches with dash attacks?

Besides players who don't know how to shuffle

Kati

Smash Lord
Dash attack is useful when the opponent is at mid percent and standing on the ledge. Pulling back allows falcon to instantly grab the ledge and begin edge guarding.

Reizoko

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1263-6364-2684
I hate when I Dash Attack by accident in a panic situation or slip-up...

yohoos

Smash Apprentice
His dash attack is great. Might be your usage of it.
I mean it's great to edeguard with.
His dash attack is trash, can't edgeguard anyone decent with that crap even his crappy tilts would do better.

yohoos

Smash Apprentice
For real though, I actually used ftilt down angled recently for edgeguarding and it worked......ok. It didn't have enough knockback for kill but ehh...... I guess I'll take it?

Zhook

Smash Rookie
I guess just about all of Falcon's ground based moves are pretty garbage. Including dash attack.

ProdigyX5

Smash Cadet
Vs a CPU.

Spam dash attack until they fall off stage then spike them with dair.

Vs Competitive.
Gtfo

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Okay so I did some labbing and I nailed down a few uses for dash attack

- covers no tech
Covering no tech mid dash on reaction is kinda useful, sometimes also forcing another tech.
- easy set up for instant wall jump
Protato posted about this in his thread on the melee forums. Is somewhat useful for choppy edge-guards, can also combo into aerials sometimes.
- has reasonable priority
is useful against good zoning. Specifically, against peach, beats float stuff and does well against her grounded zoning options.

It also hits crouching opponents but if used in this way you will probably just get cc'd. Also sets up for aerials at very high percent. It isn't as useless as I once thought.

Top Bottom