• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Captain Falcon Video Critique Thread

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
new video of me:

http://www.twitch.tv/ncsmash_dj/b/631800695

Me actually playing falcon starts at 13:00. Its 2 hours long so obviously you don't have to watch the whole thing but take a look and tell me what you guys think. Obviously the other player (in the camera) is a lot better than I am, so take that into consideration when making comments.

Compared to my last video, I think movement/tech skill is a much better, and I'm not shielding as much, but its hard to really tell how far thats really gotten me since DJ is whooping my ass the whole time still. According to him, he thinks my tech chasing needs work, to which I tell him, I think I already have a solid grasp of tech chasing, I just need to be using it more in games. I think my mindset needs to change to watching spacies carefully and punishing where necessary instead of just throwing out moves and stuff. I also need to remember what the options they have in different situations.

Btw, if you're looking for a laugh, at 12:00 I fall through the stage on stadium.

Last edited:

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Posting to let you know I have seen this and will get to it later
I don't want to push you anything, but just wanted to share some context:
I've watched that match several hundred times, and have gleaned a lot from it. I wouldn't mind commentary, but don't worry about it if you don't have time.
I've decided not to main/secondary Falcon in melee, but he is gonna be my secondary in PM.

Also, I'm super pumped about the Sacred Combo I landed the other day. I got the reverse hitbox on the Falcon Punch and stage spiked him (he shoulda teched dat teehee).

Hee443

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hee443
3DS FC
0087-2817-2596
One of my sets that I would like critique on starts at 5:02:20, I am QTIP (Blue Falcon). I have recently started putting a ton of time into the lab and working on my game, and I definitely feel like it is starting to pay off. I still have a long way to go clearly, so hopefully some people could point out some of my flaws in this match?

I don't have any videos of me playing higher level Sheiks, but I desperately struggle in that matchup, any tips for getting out of techchasing Sheiks?

Last edited:

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
There was a lot of times where you (and the other player too) are just spamming moves like nair/bair. Its not as bad in falcon dittos since falcon doesn't really have many great approaches, but other characters can easily work around it and get hits on you between missed aerials or even just beat it out. The tech skill is there, and you have the ability to throw out a lot of moves, so I think what will take you to the next level is seeing what defensive options you have and when to implement them instead of just always using instant nairs, etc. In the match, you used some form of attack almost every time you were getting approached, usually nair, but I think I remember seeing a couple of dtilts too. In those situations, I think better options usually involve DD'ing away followed up with a pivot grab or retreating nair. Along that point, you use a lot of get up attacks too. The other player didn't typically do the best job of reacting to them, but I know good players (I'm not a good player, so I can't say that I would) would just run up to you -> power shield your get up attack -> punish.

Didn't look to see if there was any videos of you against sheik, but I know the most difficult part of learning to play the match up is mixing up your approaches. Almost all of falcon's approaches on sheik can be stopped with f-tilt or up tilt. That said, you can't just SHFFL nair at a sheik which I saw you do a lot in this video that you've shared. Nair is our best weapon to control space against a sheik (as is against most characters), but even still f-tilt will beat it out if you're in range and therefore its usually not a safe approach. Getting out of a tech chase from sheik is all about mind games really, but I do want to add I like to get up -> jab sometimes upon being tech chased. If the sheik player is doing it right, you don't have time to get out an other move and jab is the only move that comes out immediately without any other input. Of course, this only works if they're really aggressive with their tech chases, but its one more option that I find works sometimes. I like to think of it as a get up attack with a slightly different timing/animation. Works against marth's tech chase too.

Just my 2 cents. I'd probably lose to you in tournament, but I just wanted to share what I saw. It may not even be good advice.

Speaking of which, still waiting for someone to watch my latest post. Please and thanks :D

Last edited:

Hee443

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hee443
3DS FC
0087-2817-2596
There was a lot of times where you (and the other player too) are just spamming moves like nair/bair. Its not as bad in falcon dittos since falcon doesn't really have many great approaches, but other characters can easily work around it and get hits on you between missed aerials or even just beat it out. The tech skill is there, and you have the ability to throw out a lot of moves, so I think what will take you to the next level is seeing what defensive options you have and when to implement them instead of just always using instant nairs, etc.

Didn't look to see if there was any videos of you against sheik, but I know the most difficult part of learning to play the match up is mixing up your approaches. Almost all of falcon's approaches on sheik can be stopped with f-tilt or up tilt. That said, you can't just SHFFL nair at a sheik which I saw you do a lot in this video that you've shared. Nair is our best weapon to control space against a sheik (as is against most characters), but even still f-tilt will beat it out if you're in range and therefore its usually not a safe approach. Getting out of a tech chase from sheik is all about mind games really, but I do want to add I like to get up -> jab sometimes upon being tech chased. If the sheik player is doing it right, you don't have time to get out an other move and jab is the only move that comes out immediately without any other input. Of course, this only works if they're really aggressive with their tech chases, but its one more option that I find works sometimes. I like to think of it as a get up attack with a slightly different timing/animation. Works against marth's tech chase too.
I do tend to spam nair and bair a lot in neutral in most matchups, it's a habit I've been trying to break, it used to be a lot worse without proper spacing. I do have two more tournament sets against a Falco, and a Falcon/Fox that starts at 49:30 if you want to watch those too. Falco I struggle with too, as he can shut down any momentum I have easily and I naturally slow down and tense up. I've actually never considering using get up -> jab, most Sheiks I've played at higher levels are rather aggressive with tech chases. I'll definitely implement that. Is tech in place Falcons best chance of getting out of a tech chase? (Of course while mixing up techs)
I'll critique your match tomorrow if no one has by that time, though! I'm not too great at critiquing but I'll try my best.

Last edited:

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
Is tech in place Falcons best chance of getting out of a tech chase? (Of course while mixing up techs)
I've always been told the sooner you get on your feet the better, and that stands true for the most part. However, I think a tech in place is really only the best option on their first throw. Naturally, a player is more likely to get the tech the following times, so they're least likely to expect it on the first one. And of course, teching in place against falcon may result in getting the teeth knocked out of your mouth.

Hee443

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hee443
3DS FC
0087-2817-2596
new video of me:

http://www.twitch.tv/ncsmash_dj/b/631800695

Me actually playing falcon starts at 13:00. Its 2 hours long so obviously you don't have to watch the whole thing but take a look and tell me what you guys think. Obviously the other player (in the camera) is a lot better than I am, so take that into consideration when making comments.

Compared to my last video, I think movement/tech skill is a much better, and I'm not shielding as much, but its hard to really tell how far thats really gotten me since DJ is whooping my *** the whole time still. According to him, he thinks my tech chasing needs work, to which I tell him, I think I already have a solid grasp of tech chasing, I just need to be using it more in games. I think my mindset needs to change to watching spacies carefully and punishing where necessary instead of just throwing out moves and stuff. I also need to remember what the options they have in different situations.

Btw, if you're looking for a laugh, at 12:00 I fall through the stage on stadium.
Just a preface, I'm bad at critique, so I may just say stuff you already know, or just not make sense. With that said, I watched through some of your footage and I can definitely tell that you have the tech skill and are pretty good. You seemed to flub a lot of approaches and tech chases, in my experience that comes with more time playing real people and better players. It may be due to playing a better player but you gave him too much room to work with, Falcon has a great pressure game even if that is just dash dancing and trying to bait out a mistake. Dash dancing is something I recommend working on and implementing into your game, it is very very useful for Falcon. I also highly recommend to start working on wavelanding on platforms, it is super useful in speeding up your platform movement and helps mixing up approaches and movement options. One last thing that I noticed that I suffer from too is that you approach a lot with aerials even when the opponent is shielding. Going into a grab would be a safer option in that case. I hope any of this helps in any way!

Hee443

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hee443
3DS FC
0087-2817-2596
I've always been told the sooner you get on your feet the better, and that stands true for the most part. However, I think a tech in place is really only the best option on their first throw. Naturally, a player is more likely to get the tech the following times, so they're least likely to expect it on the first one. And of course, teching in place against falcon may result in getting the teeth knocked out of your mouth.
That definitely makes sense. I like that, I'm going to work on that as soon as possible. I've never really noticed any Falcon do this before so I never considered tech in place --> jab. Hopefully this helps me get out of Sheiks tech chases!

Last edited:

LukeTheDuke

Smash Rookie
hey so this is a stream where i play some falcon (who is my main) and some falco (my secondary), amongst others. http://www.twitch.tv/birthgirth/b/635813214
my falcon starts around 35 mins in and is intermittent throughout. it is pretty long so don't feel like you have to watch the whole thing, but i would appreciate some falcon/falco/general critique and tips for improvement. i'm sure my friend would love yoshi critique if you are up for that as well. i am player 1 and the guy on the left in the grey. thank you!!!

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
hey so this is a stream where i play some falcon (who is my main) and some falco (my secondary), amongst others. http://www.twitch.tv/birthgirth/b/635813214
my falcon starts around 35 mins in and is intermittent throughout. it is pretty long so don't feel like you have to watch the whole thing, but i would appreciate some falcon/falco/general critique and tips for improvement. i'm sure my friend would love yoshi critique if you are up for that as well. i am player 1 and the guy on the left in the grey. thank you!!!
I don't know why, but I can't really see the video well. Its all laggy and it skips a lot. Not sure if its me or the video, but I will say other twitch videos seem to work okay.

From what I can see, looks like you may need to work on some tech skill, but I couldn't really watch a whole lot. Again, could be me, but I'd check and see if the video works okay for you. I'll try taking a look again tomorrow and see if I can give you some better advice

Last edited:

LukeTheDuke

Smash Rookie
I don't know why, but I can't really see the video well. Its all laggy and it skips a lot. Not sure if its me or the video, but I will say other twitch videos seem to work okay.

From what I can see, looks like you may need to work on some tech skill, but I couldn't really watch a whole lot. Again, could be me, but I'd check and see if the video works okay for you. I'll try taking a look again tomorrow and see if I can give you some better advice
yeah i tried it and it was good in some parts but bad in others so whatever

0Room

Smash Lord
I don't want to push you anything, but just wanted to share some context:
I've watched that match several hundred times, and have gleaned a lot from it. I wouldn't mind commentary, but don't worry about it if you don't have time.
I've decided not to main/secondary Falcon in melee, but he is gonna be my secondary in PM.

Also, I'm super pumped about the Sacred Combo I landed the other day. I got the reverse hitbox on the Falcon Punch and stage spiked him (he shoulda teched dat teehee).
Alright dude it's raining, the first thing I can tell you is that your movement reminds me of learning to drive a manual car for the first time: it's a lot of stop and go. If you take anything, ANYTHING, away from this post, it should be this: Tighten up your movement. Make it faster, smoother, you should be flowing into everything and moving the first possible second you can. You have to be able to do that before you can get Falcon to work.

You have a lot of times to close out stocks [like here, when you got 3 grabs and they didn't di at all and you could have easily kneed them] but the movement just wasn't there. I don't really know what to tell you and I'm not trying to sound rude or anything like that but you have to be able to get that movement down before you can start doing other stuff.

Other than that I feel like you didn't really respect Sheik at the ledge, such as here when you got backthrown at 0% off the stage. You can't really afford to make mistakes like that in this match up, when your recovery is so easily predicted.

I don't feel like you're particularly worse than your opponent, I don't think it was too outrageous to say you could have won this set if you had been able to keep moving and fastfall all your aerials correctly and all of that. Your marth feels the same way - it's very stop and go, lots of nonfastfalled moves and no dash dancing at all to speak of.

If you're able to fix that - feel more comfortable in that movement and being able to keep moving in a smooth, fluid motion, then I think you'll be able to do much better in the future.
Unfortunately I don't feel like I can comment much on the other stuff because that's the thing that sticks out as "once you get a handle on this then we can start on other things"

Last edited:

RVKYS

Smash Apprentice
here are some friendlies vs a samus in my area. i feel ok in neutral but i feel like its my punish game on him that is super lacking. any tips are appreciated. the last game i want critiqued especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEq-VIVR2j8

things i already know:
i miss my l cancels on shield a lot
i have no idea how to edge guard samus
my punishes suuuuuuuck

Last edited:

0Room

Smash Lord
here are some friendlies vs a samus in my area. i feel ok in neutral but i feel like its my punish game on him that is super lacking. any tips are appreciated. the last game i want critiqued especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEq-VIVR2j8

things i already know:
i miss my l cancels on shield a lot
i have no idea how to edge guard samus
my punishes suuuuuuuck

This match up is actually super hard lol, you have to be really careful about your spacing [similar to Luigi]
The major thing is that I feel you're afraid to committ to anything, and you're not really keeping track of the Samus well , at least in the first game. Second game is much better but it still feels like sometimes you're just kind of off doing your own thing and there just so happens to be a samus in the same game as you.

For example, you get a lot of uairs and just kind of stop after doing one upair, when you can continue them as long as they're spaced well. You also just tend to COMPLETELY IGNORE her downb like that's not gonna hit you in the face.
One other thing to remember about this match up is that due to her kit, Samus tends to wait a lot on her fsmashes and punishes, because of how laggy they are on shield. So , since her grab is fairly awful [you can nair it on reaction] sitting in shield is not so bad of a move.

Edgeguarding Samus is very similar to edgeguarding peach or puff - lots of bairs. It's a lot of being patient and bairing whenever you see the chance to. It has a long hitbox, comes out quick, and has decent knockback. It's kind of the "go to" safe move in regards to edgeguarding the floatier characters. You actually beat Jiggs in general by doing bairs, something you can also do with spacies, which I find amusing

Uh but yeah basically that
Don't be afraid to punch people in the face, especially when you're punching them with your legs
Don't ignore parts of her kit
Dthrow not uthrow, uthrow is dependent on character weight and doesn't give enough stun. Dthrow's not super great either but you might get a knee/nair trade which is always nice
She's slow, you're not, don't be afraid to use that

RVKYS

Smash Apprentice
thanks a lot man. i definitely do ignore bombs more often than i should. and i definitely need to work on uair punishes. and edgeguarding right now seems so arbitrary. i never know whether to go for a deep moonwalk bair or bair off the ledge or something else so i just hope they mess up and hope to catch them in it basically.

thanks for the tips !

0Room

Smash Lord
thanks a lot man. i definitely do ignore bombs more often than i should. and i definitely need to work on uair punishes. and edgeguarding right now seems so arbitrary. i never know whether to go for a deep moonwalk bair or bair off the ledge or something else so i just hope they mess up and hope to catch them in it basically.

thanks for the tips !
You should know when you see it. Basically if you're far enough away to get edgeguarded while edgeguarding, you're too far out.

DraculaSb

Smash Cadet
SSBM - "Blood Thirsty" A Captain Falcon combo vid…: http://youtu.be/785y6zro6W0

I made this short montage and would appreciate critique. I only had limited footage and will have more in a few weeks! I have the stop and go problem and find it frustrating. I started a thread mentioning that I'm not the best with combos or ending them. Any advice and tips will be appreciated

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
SSBM - "Blood Thirsty" A Captain Falcon combo vid…: http://youtu.be/785y6zro6W0

I made this short montage and would appreciate critique. I only had limited footage and will have more in a few weeks! I have the stop and go problem and find it frustrating. I started a thread mentioning that I'm not the best with combos or ending them. Any advice and tips will be appreciated
I think I made a comment in your other thread earlier.

It looks like all the clips are against regular CPU's. I want to just go ahead and say now, stop playing against CPUs unless you're using 20xx. Practicing against them usually leads to getting into bad habits (such as always using get up attack, or always spamming a certain move or series of moves).

In the un-modded version of melee, CPU's do not DI. They also don't usually tech, and they don't usually do anything besides the basic get up when the fall to the ground. This actually makes CPU's in melee the easiest to combo against since all three of these fundamental aspects of avoiding combos never occur or change. If you can't land combos against melee CPU's, you just don't have the tech skill and you need to practice them more.

This is why people highly recommend you get 20xx for practicing by yourself. In 20xx, the player 2 CPU will always randomly DI, randomly tech, and use the majority of moves at their disposal when getting up (such as get-up shine for spacies, basic get up attack, or even wait until you make an input and react). This allows you to practice reacting to what your opponent can and will do when you try to combo them. In fact, 20xx generally makes it harder as real players will usually have patterns that you can follow and do not always react perfectly unlike the 20xx cpus.

I hate to say it, but for that sole reason alone, those who spend half the time you do practicing against a lvl 1 cpu in 20xx will gain more benefit than you would spending the time you currently put into the game trying to learn combos against regular cpus that don't do anything that real players do.

I think you already know whats best for starting falcon combos in most situations (especially against heavier opponents): falling uair. You use it a lot in your video. The problem is that opponents can easily adapt to this if you use it excessively and will just hit you when you SH knowing that you will wait until you fast fall and use an up air to hit them. All characters on the cast have options to beat this out. Not saying you can't use this technique, but you need to forget about this for now and learn what is generally a better option in these scenarios; usually nair/bair, grab, or some form of movement.

In summation, here's my advice. I strongly advise you follow it:

-DO NOT play against CPUs, unless they're lvl 1. Even in 20xx, do not play against CPUs higher than lvl 1. They will only teach you bad habits.
-You need to try to get your hands on a copy of 20xx. Check the 20xx thread for details.
-Practice instant nairs, and linking them into grabs. Learn to use nair, and why to use it in situations.
-Practice grabs, and tech chasing into regrabs (you can only practice this in 20xx, otherwise its too easy because the CPU doesn't tech and just uses the basic get up).
-Practice against real human beings. You will never actually get any better until you do this.
-Worry less about combos, and more about spacing and how falcon can control the space around him.

I also have a question for you, and please don't take it the wrong way, but think about it: are you actually trying to learn this game to compete against other actual players, or are you just trying to be flashy and get combos? From what you have posted so far on here, it seems that your main concern is how good your combos are, but I haven't seen the slightest concern from you about how good you actually are against other players. That last bit of advice on my list reflects this: change your mentality, or it'll take you way longer to be good at this game. Trust me.

Last edited:

DraculaSb

Smash Cadet
I'm trying to get better to compete. I have friends who do play and play against them rather frequently. I also attended a local smash fest and did alright. I have a fair idea of what works and what doesn't too. I could nair into grabs etc but linking together is my problem. What's a good Falcon if you can't punish accordingly? You have to make the opposing player pay for their mistakes. My friend is a Marth main but I could beat him rather consistent. I know I still have work to do and I have know cpus aren't ends all be all. It's hard to play others in my area when it's mainly smash u. Thanks for the feedback though.

Hee443

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hee443
3DS FC
0087-2817-2596
Also I don't own a wii. So getting 20xx isn't as easy.
Soon you will be able to get the 20XX hackpack if you never get a Wii since there will be a solution to load it from a gamecube memory card. I think it's being debuted and released sometime around whenever SmashCon is happening.

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
http://www.twitch.tv/pressstartlv/b/639940984?t=2h18m54s

Went to another monthly and got bopped out of pools. Didn't know why I was having such bad movement compared to the last time I went. Anyone willing to go over that video and tell me my bad habits and just general stuff I need to work on would be highly appreciated
btw, I watched part of this video, I'll be finishing it and making some comments tomorrow.

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
http://www.twitch.tv/pressstartlv/b/639940984?t=2h18m54s

Went to another monthly and got bopped out of pools. Didn't know why I was having such bad movement compared to the last time I went. Anyone willing to go over that video and tell me my bad habits and just general stuff I need to work on would be highly appreciated
Agree with the movement. You were using a bit more of your shield than normal I suppose, but just practice getting hit and moving right after and practice your OoS options. Also, not sure if this is really a bad thing, but you double jump or full jump a lot, especially over platforms. Doesn't seem that ideal seeing that fox can really punish you upon landing, but this fox player didn't really pick up on that. Also, you use a lot of falling bairs which also doesn't typically seem ideal. Pretty much all other aerials seem to be better options in these situations. Even if nair doesn't hit that far, it can still lead to another tech chase or read, where as bair just hits him away, but not hard enough to really kill him, or sometimes not even off the stage.

You did a good job of tech chasing, I'd say just keep practicing that and maybe start throwing out some moves for hard reads.

The only reason you lost the first game was because you put yourself in positions that caused you to get shine spiked at least 3 times (4, if I'm not mistaken). Obviously, you can't really afford to make that kind of mistake as falcon, so just remember to avoid that when possible.

CrossfadingRage

Smash Apprentice
Its been a while since I've posted here. Howdy folks, how's things been?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o7sX3nFUxA&index=5&list=PLR2KAZjxkSUg7EystVRp_kheLblanVcC8

I've had players in my state critique but none of them are quite Falcon MAINS anymore (Tapion has switched to Fox *cries*), so I figured I'd come to the good ole critique thread and get some feedback. The FBT7 videos in my playlist are doubles videos that you could critique me on (I'm trying to improve in teams) if you'd be so kind, while also being more recent matches.

I'm aware of the technical flubs in my game, I'm constantly working on it at all times. I'm much more consistent now. But feel free to still comment on it.

Last edited:

JoeTango

It Takes Two
Its been a while since I've posted here. Howdy folks, how's things been?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o7sX3nFUxA&index=5&list=PLR2KAZjxkSUg7EystVRp_kheLblanVcC8

I've had players in my state critique but none of them are quite Falcon MAINS anymore (Tapion has switched to Fox *cries*), so I figured I'd come to the good ole critique thread and get some feedback. The FBT7 videos in my playlist are doubles videos that you could critique me on (I'm trying to improve in teams) if you'd be so kind, while also being more recent matches.

I'm aware of the technical flubs in my game, I'm constantly working on it at all times. I'm much more consistent now. But feel free to still comment on it.
It looks like you miss a lot of follow ups and get punished a lot for missed L cancels, I would work on that a lot. It seemed like there were a couple of times where you moonwalked to cover a small amount of options instead of doing something smarter and easier. Then again, Falcon is all about presenting your swag to your opponent so that is still the right option IMO :-) I like your movement though, it looks crisp!

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
Forgive my Iphone quality on this video, but please tell me what I could improve upon. I am open to all comments, critiques, complaints, criticisms, etc. This was Grand Finals at a local tourney, please mute the commentary if it is unbearable or whatever.

:falconmelee:Just a beginner falcon, please tell me what I'm doing right, what I'm doing wrong, and general tips needed. Also, sorry for the shoddy camera work.

1) http://youtu.be/6NvaGKzVMvw (I get bodied in this one)
2) http://youtu.be/lPjCVF7_vio (I body in this one)

Thanks
On marth, it would be beneficial to practice instant up airs to catch him after low percent down throws. It would also be nice to grab him again until he DI's out. There is a famous vs marth combo where you can down throw twice, then one up throw followed by some up airs and nairs. If he fairs on the way down after the up throw, read it the next time and get behind him with back airs to throw him off his guard.

There were times where you had positional advantages on marth such as :22 in the first video. Look how you have marth in the air and you run back and give that space up. It may be beneficial to rethink your look at the game against marth. Think of it like: keeping center stage by creating space that puts marth on offense to retake center. When marth tries to do that is when you create walls that force marth to deal with, which can create opportunities to follow up and combo.

Never go offstage against marth as Falcon, he will eat you. Eventually, it displays a content nature to marth that you are willing to let him come back. The one time you jump out to get him, he may not expect it. Also, taking ledge against marth is crazy good for punishes when he gets back on. Example: stomp --> knee

That's all I got. I understand you are beginning, just wanted to relay some knowledge. Let me know what you think.

BauxFalcon

Smash Apprentice
Forgive my Iphone quality on this video, but please tell me what I could improve upon. I am open to all comments, critiques, complaints, criticisms, etc. This was Grand Finals at a local tourney, please mute the commentary if it is unbearable or whatever.

On marth, it would be beneficial to practice instant up airs to catch him after low percent down throws. It would also be nice to grab him again until he DI's out. There is a famous vs marth combo where you can down throw twice, then one up throw followed by some up airs and nairs. If he fairs on the way down after the up throw, read it the next time and get behind him with back airs to throw him off his guard.

There were times where you had positional advantages on marth such as :22 in the first video. Look how you have marth in the air and you run back and give that space up. It may be beneficial to rethink your look at the game against marth. Think of it like: keeping center stage by creating space that puts marth on offense to retake center. When marth tries to do that is when you create walls that force marth to deal with, which can create opportunities to follow up and combo.

Never go offstage against marth as Falcon, he will eat you. Eventually, it displays a content nature to marth that you are willing to let him come back. The one time you jump out to get him, he may not expect it. Also, taking ledge against marth is crazy good for punishes when he gets back on. Example: stomp --> knee

That's all I got. I understand you are beginning, just wanted to relay some knowledge. Let me know what you think.

Thanks man, that was really helpful. But can you give me some tips on tightening up my combo game? I mean, I got my L-cancels down, but my combos are max 3-4 hits, and they don't get much damage in, should I work on tech chasing?

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Thanks man, that was really helpful. But can you give me some tips on tightening up my combo game? I mean, I got my L-cancels down, but my combos are max 3-4 hits, and they don't get much damage in, should I work on tech chasing?
I have some tips for those questions.

This tech chasing guide is really informative. If you're interested in more tech chasing theory, check out the similar threads on the Sheik boards. Not necessarily to learn the Sheik tech-chasing style, but to understand what different kinds of characters can do with tech chasing. The big picture for me comes down to whether or not they can crouch cancel your punish (which is why Sheik regrabs, whereas Falcon has the Stomp). And just make sure you get the basic idea of following their DI and spacing yourself to grab tech-in-place outside of shine/etc range, coz tech-in-place is the hardest to punish in terms of reaction time. Although if you do it right and your reaction time is good, getting shined shouldn't even be a possibility. You can dash -> wavedash (which keeps you moving even during the Jumpsquat of the wavedash) towards their DI.

As far as comboing, I'm not too experienced with Falcon, but my commentary is this:
Positioning is better than continuing the combo, and this situation is emphasized at mid levels of play. It is always frustrating for me when I want to go deep with Falcon, but I end up wishing I had regained center stage instead of hoping my opp flubbed the DI. I think I read Scar saying something once that you need to make sure you're fastfalling your aerials, particularly your Uairs. It's better to finish your move faster and have the chance to dashdance or reposition yourself for the next situation than hope for bad DI on their part. Of course, if you recognize that someone just doesn't know how to DI, have fun with them until you feel bad, then show them how to DI.

Last edited:

Twinkles

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB5Xe6Zh88k
its hard to kill floaties
yes i sd because i tap jump and sometimes it doesnt work
i also noticed i got greedy and went for aerials instead of grabs
spacing was also really bad
Jumping way too much. You place yourself into terrible situations by doing so. Also need work on your dash dance, you kinda just dash back and forth without really using it for anything and then jumping in and getting wrecked. Try to dash in and out to bait dash attacks n so forth. Abuse your ground movement more because Peach isn't nearly as fast as you so you should be kinda running circles around her. As you said, more grabs. But grabs come easier when you are more comfortable moving around her.

Dthrow knee is pretty free on Peach at almost any %. Uair juggles work great too. Don't get too greedy for combos when she's <20% because she can probably wiggle out n nair you.

J3ster

Smash Rookie
I got into competitive smash about 10 months ago, solidified Falcon as my solo main about 6 months ago. This was a money match against a fox who I train with. I know that I shouldn't be back throwing or throwing out F-smash as much as I did this set, and I did do a bunch of scrub rolls but I would to hear any general advice on my falcon to help me improve. (And I thought I would throw some music over the vid to make up for my scrubiness)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXp4f2HS0RU&feature=youtu.be

Heavy Gomez

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavyGomer
You're dashdancing at all the wrong times

when you respawn and while you're tech chasing are not times to dash dance, I don't see you dash dancing as a mix up option when you're approaching either, you should be doing it in neutral while you're trying to sneak a hit in, not when you already have an advantage.

cut that **** out, you need to take as much advantage of those invincibility frames as you can, bumrush the guy fighting you. When tech chasing after a grab, run for a few frames and wavedash toward the person you're tech chasing. This video breaks it down a lot more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P72GQqvjIU

you're standing still when landing after using an aerial a lot, you should be running around pretty much constantly.

your horizontal movement is pretty good, but you need to work on your vertical movement, use the platforms to get around more. In the first match on battlefield you lost a stock because you were dash dancing on the lower stage and got rushed down by a fox with spawn invincibility, in situations like that it's best to use the platforms to bob and weave around the enemy.

your recovery is too predictable, you need to go for the ledge more, the landing lag of falcon's up-b is way too long and the zero lag+invincibility frames of the ledge makes the ledge your best friend.

you missed a lot of free knees, keep an eye out for those, if fox ever ever ****ING EVER side b's on stage KNEE THAT ****** (mainly talking about what happened at 2 minutes into your video).

you didn't taunt enough.

that's about all I can think of other than the stuff you pointed out, other than that it wasn't too bad. I might be being a little nitpicky but this is stuff you might want to work on.

J3ster

Smash Rookie
You're dashdancing at all the wrong times

when you respawn and while you're tech chasing are not times to dash dance, I don't see you dash dancing as a mix up option when you're approaching either, you should be doing it in neutral while you're trying to sneak a hit in, not when you already have an advantage.

cut that **** out, you need to take as much advantage of those invincibility frames as you can, bumrush the guy fighting you. When tech chasing after a grab, run for a few frames and wavedash toward the person you're tech chasing. This video breaks it down a lot more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P72GQqvjIU

you're standing still when landing after using an aerial a lot, you should be running around pretty much constantly.

your horizontal movement is pretty good, but you need to work on your vertical movement, use the platforms to get around more. In the first match on battlefield you lost a stock because you were dash dancing on the lower stage and got rushed down by a fox with spawn invincibility, in situations like that it's best to use the platforms to bob and weave around the enemy.

your recovery is too predictable, you need to go for the ledge more, the landing lag of falcon's up-b is way too long and the zero lag+invincibility frames of the ledge makes the ledge your best friend.

you missed a lot of free knees, keep an eye out for those, if fox ever ever ****ING EVER side b's on stage KNEE THAT ****ER (mainly talking about what happened at 2 minutes into your video).

you didn't taunt enough.

that's about all I can think of other than the stuff you pointed out, other than that it wasn't too bad. I might be being a little nitpicky but this is stuff you might want to work on.
Thanks man, I'll definitely work on what you said. I really plan on overhauling my dash dancing game in the lab because it does need a lot of work, thanks again.

Coffeemug

Smash Journeyman
If anyone has the time and wants to take a crack at some recent sets of mine I'd love to get feedback.

My first time fighting a Doc in tournament so it's all kinda of awkward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQUyXjRVjHM match starts at 8:44:00

and a recent set against marth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1EN2c3x40Q

One major thing I've already been monitoring is toning down my sideb's. I notice in the marth match I went from trying to punish bad aerials to just throwing them out there absent mindedly.

Top Bottom