• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Captain Falcon Video Critique Thread

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
I'm pretty new to Melee Falcon. Since I've played him a lot in PM, I thought I could transfer over well enough with some hard work, and some getting used to the different physics engine. I have pretty much zilch puff experience so I'm especially looking for advice in fighting puffs. Here's some footage from a tournament I attended yesterday. Any help is appreciated. :)
Me Vs Phrike's Peach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scMEr4cPNo8
Me Vs Ninkendo's Sheik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIXLEDIbLK0
Me Vs SS | Soft's Fox and Puff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZO9ijlKw5Y

Rhyme_

Smash Rookie
http://www.twitch.tv/armadaugs/b/596398316

the first 30 minutes of the video is me playing

I'd really like some advice against Falco... I try to powershield and then nair lasers or powershield grab, but I notice I should propably just stay close to Falco all the time
More wavedash out of shield, if you watch s2j play falcos he does a lot of wave dash back out of shield and then dash away in to shield pivot. If they come in with a dair or nair trying to hit your shield where you were you can just grab them when they land in front of you and if they over shoot it then they just hit your shield any way.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxQx-qfa_cE

Hey guys in this videos i am the green falcon, I haven already been told that my approaches are unsafe, and I wash just trying to a see some second opinions. Thanks for your time!
Your approaches are unsafe.

Try and get a video against a better opponent in a more serious setting. I can't tell whether you're constantly giving up stage control because you don't care. Also you're doing stupid **** in between stocks and he gets a free hit because of it.

Most of your forward throws can be replaced with upthrow and downthrow. Better followups.

I don't think I saw tech chase regrab more than once or twice. If it's because it's not a serious match, then this reinforces why you should get a better video for us to critique.

Get a tournament match or MM recorded instead please.

I guess 20xx hackpack should be telling you this too, but you miss a ton of L cancels.

Last edited:

NFST4R

Smash Cadet
NNID
NFEEMNOMM
3DS FC
1263-6876-0095
Your approaches are unsafe.

Try and get a video against a better opponent in a more serious setting. I can't tell whether you're constantly giving up stage control because you don't care. Also you're doing stupid **** in between stocks and he gets a free hit because of it.

Most of your forward throws can be replaced with upthrow and downthrow. Better followups.

I don't think I saw tech chase regrab more than once or twice. If it's because it's not a serious match, then this reinforces why you should get a better video for us to critique.

Get a tournament match or MM recorded instead please.

I guess 20xx hackpack should be telling you this too, but you miss a ton of L cancels.
THANKS MAN!! I appreciate the input Ill get a more serious match this weekend hopefully

Bu$

HoC
There seem to be a lot of new falcons posting videos asking for critique. You guys should honestly get a pen and paper and write down all the mistakes you make, what caused you to get hit and ask if you missed tech. Once you can say you don't miss tech, understand why you got hit and know all the mistakes you make, then you should ask for actual critique. You new player should also watch other new player videos and take notes on what they do and don't do while comparing to yourself.

You can improve soooo much just by watching your own videos and taking a few notes without anyone else input guys so make sure you're studying your own game hard before you ask someone else to. Keep on grinding ;)

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
There seem to be a lot of new falcons posting videos asking for critique. You guys should honestly get a pen and paper and write down all the mistakes you make, what caused you to get hit and ask if you missed tech. Once you can say you don't miss tech, understand why you got hit and know all the mistakes you make, then you should ask for actual critique. You new player should also watch other new player videos and take notes on what they do and don't do while comparing to yourself.

You can improve soooo much just by watching your own videos and taking a few notes without anyone else input guys so make sure you're studying your own game hard before you ask someone else to. Keep on grinding ;)
Another newbie here looking for some help (I'm pink falcon):

edit: sorry, I can't link vids since I don't have 10 posts yet (wish I could recover my old account =/).

/watch?v=dw2XkddGQsA
/watch?v=ccpepKUrwmA

Sorry for iphone quality. Obviously these videos are just meant for me to watch and learn.

I've already made my own notes on these vids, but I look forward to hearing what more experienced players have to say (other than I'm just bad).

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Another newbie here looking for some help (I'm pink falcon):

edit: sorry, I can't link vids since I don't have 10 posts yet (wish I could recover my old account =/).

/watch?v=dw2XkddGQsA
/watch?v=ccpepKUrwmA

Sorry for iphone quality. Obviously these videos are just meant for me to watch and learn.

I've already made my own notes on these vids, but I look forward to hearing what more experienced players have to say (other than I'm just bad).
In the first 30 seconds of the 1st match I noticed you shielded after almost every single aerial, especially the ones that didn't hit like you expected them to. It's limiting your mobility and ability to control the stage. Try dashing after aerial. If you spaced the aerial properly you shouldn't need to shield as much.

Most of the time that you aren't shielding, you're going for an attack that isn't spaced very well. Spend more time dash dancing and throwing out attacks that are intended to control space as opposed to directly attacking your opponent constantly. You need to be patient against marth because he has such a strong DD game, he can bait the bad nair/knee approaches.

You roll a lot, partially because you're in shield a lot. WD OOS on non tippered grounded moves by marth is usually a grab, which by extension gets you at least 20% bare minimum via grab followups.

Speaking of which, you need more grabs against marth. Your expected value on a successful grab with good execution when he's between 30 and 90 percent is half stock or the rest of his stock.

edit: didn't watch the 2nd game. lmk if you want anything specific about that one

Last edited:

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
In the first 30 seconds of the 1st match I noticed you shielded after almost every single aerial, especially the ones that didn't hit like you expected them to. It's limiting your mobility and ability to control the stage. Try dashing after aerial. If you spaced the aerial properly you shouldn't need to shield as much.

Most of the time that you aren't shielding, you're going for an attack that isn't spaced very well. Spend more time dash dancing and throwing out attacks that are intended to control space as opposed to directly attacking your opponent constantly. You need to be patient against marth because he has such a strong DD game, he can bait the bad nair/knee approaches.
These are all things I'm trying to get into the habit of doing. Just need to play more and get used to it. I do it in practice most of the time, but it seems nerves still get the best of me in actual games.

You roll a lot, partially because you're in shield a lot. WD OOS on non tippered grounded moves by marth is usually a grab, which by extension gets you at least 20% bare minimum via grab followups.
With due respect, some of those rolls are meant to be WD's, but again, technical facility in actual games is choked a bit by nerves it seems. I can do them with little effort in practice, but in matches I really have to focus on executing a wave dash and when I don't focus on it, it becomes a roll :( All I can really do about that is practice it more. But yes, being in shield doesn't help. I'm also in the process of switching from using L to R as my button for shielding so I can use the L button to WD OOS.

Speaking of which, you need more grabs against marth. Your expected value on a successful grab with good execution when he's between 30 and 90 percent is half stock or the rest of his stock.
Good point. I forget that marth is probably the easiest character in S tier to grab and get re-grabs on.

edit: didn't watch the 2nd game. lmk if you want anything specific about that one
It was against a different player who was on CF. It does look a lot different, but I can't make you watch it lol. Thanks for taking the time to give me feed back on at least one of the scrubby videos.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
So I didn't start playing seriously until the end of October. I feel like I've made a lot of progress, but I still have a long way to go.

Unfortunately, most of the videos I could get a hold of are netplay recordings, I only got to play on the stream at the weeklies I go to once, which is the first video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhfkcxJ5c9Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5RYPWvl47E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=713yZdbPpQQ&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFa-llpaVx0&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OimzrvcSR34&feature=youtu.be

I also have a few PM videos on my channel, which are pretty recent and I play almost identically in both games.

From what I see, the major things I need to work on are rolling less (or not at all - what other options do I have? WD out of shield, anything else?), improving tech chasing and follow-ups, and not killing myself so much. Any more detailed critiques and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

On a side note, would playing on 20XX with the rolls force death code help break these awful habits? I feel like it would.

Last edited:

0Room

Smash Lord
So I didn't start playing seriously until the end of October. I feel like I've made a lot of progress, but I still have a long way to go.

Unfortunately, most of the videos I could get a hold of are netplay recordings, I only got to play on the stream at the weeklies I go to once, which is the first video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5RYPWvl47E&feature=youtu.be

I also have a few PM videos on my channel, which are pretty recent and I play almost identically in both games.

From what I see, the major things I need to work on are rolling less (or not at all - what other options do I have? WD out of shield, anything else?), improving tech chasing and follow-ups, and not killing myself so much. Any more detailed critiques and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

On a side note, would playing on 20XX with the rolls force death code help break these awful habits? I feel like it would.
I know less than nothing about PM or 20xx but I want you to know someone has seen your videos and will reply to them at a later date sometime this week

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5RYPWvl47E&feature=youtu.be

Don't use falcon kick so much. It looks like a cool move and it'll work against net play scrubs, but any real opponent will punish you hard for it. It has a lot of start up time, it has a lot of recovery time, and it doesn't even have great priority. Its really only safe to use when your opponent is at high percents and its guaranteed to hit...and usually in those situations its better to throw out a better move anyway. Recovery aside, I'd use it maybe once in a match as a random mix up (and to throw out a little bit of disrespect), but even then its usually still not a great option.

Similar concept applies to raptor boost. You shouldn't just throw out random raptor boosts in neutral or as an approach. Sure, they get people sometimes, but again, against an opponent who knows what they're doing, a missed raptor boost is basically handing them a free combo and possibly a stock. The only time you can ideally use it in neutral is when a floaty is spamming aerial moves...and good players don't usually do that so its basically just not a good move in neutral at all. Even as a tech chase it can be dangerous: spacies will likely be able to punish you for missing a raptor boost out of a down throw depending on which way you and your opponent decided to go.

These two things just boil down to a lack of tech skill: specifically, the ability to use aerial moves more effectively and efficiently. Most people that I play with just call it being lazy (since you're not spending the effort to use the proper technique with aerials). The fact is spaced aerials are just safer. The sooner you learn to use them, the less you'll have to use raptor boost and falcon kick, and the less you'll get punished for missing moves.

The falcon punches are kind of the epitome of "lazy falcon" in your play. You're using them as an edgeguard because it doesn't take much effort to do. Falcon punch is super hype, but only if you land it. That said, if you want to disrespect people with falcon punch, you have to know when you can use it as an edgeguard technique, which is in very few scenarios. Most of the scenarios where you could ideally falcon punch someone trying to recover have safer options anyway (such as simply grabbing the ledge). I'm not calling you lazy, but the falcon special moves have to be kept to a minimum and you need to work on your tech skill and work on using shffl'ed aerials instead of special moves. Learn to edgeguard with actual techniques as well.

You need to work on your movement a lot. Yes, that does mean rolling less...a lot less, but there's more to it than that. I do see you using DD'ing, but really only sparsely in random situations. In most neutral situations a fox trot (initial dash), dash dance, or pivot is significantly better than a roll. Falcon's dash dance is a huge part of what makes him viable in this game. You need to pretty much always be using his dance dash and fox trot instead of rolling. I don't believe I saw you wave dash once in any of the videos either. His short wave dash is great for spacing/positioning and much safer than a roll. Just go watch any videos of good falcon players: they don't really stand still, they're always dashing or wavedashing somewhere to optimize their position. And of course, thats just something you have to practice and get into the habit of doing.

No. I tried it myself when I first started using 20xx, and found it just made me too frustrated when I actually needed to roll, or when I messed up a wave dash. Rolls are actually a good option in some situations (and luckily falcon has one of the best rolls in the cast). But even still, if you use them too much, your opponent will catch on to it and start to punish you for it. That said, you have to work on all of the other out of shield options, and use the roll as one of your many options.

Sorry if I sound condescending and harsh, that's just how I do criticism. I'm also really tired, but no johns I guess lol. I think you really just need to go watch videos of good falcon players and start working on your advanced techniques and that'll get you started in the right direction. Best of luck. You can definitely beat those scrubby spacies players.

On a side note, this thread is slow as ****. Can we change that? Its kind of embarrassing--almost as embarrassing as my videos for critique.

Last edited:

0Room

Smash Lord
On a side note, this thread is slow as ****. Can we change that? Its kind of embarrassing--almost as embarrassing as my videos for critique.
Smashboards as a whole is kind of slow.
And it requires videos do to video critiques :d
That being said, since you looked at NFreaks I'll look at Nicco's.

http://www.twitch.tv/mrkingfunk/c/5719173 02:28:35 best of 5 between me and Danish fox main Kwiddo. Please give me a few tips!

I'm sorry for the bad quality, it freezes here and there.
1st tip - Right click on the Twitch vod to get the option "Get link for video at current time"

Okay first off you seem like you're pretty solid already. Lots of platform play and stuff like that and that's great, I'm not a fan of just throwing out nairs forever but you're not really getting punished for them so whatever. Try some empty hops and stuff too to psych people out. Overall you seem to problem of just doing stuff to do stuff and don't really have a purpose behind it.

In regards to actually edgeguarding, that's an area I would recommend getting a little more practice in. A lot of time you're like WAYYYYY off base or not taking the correct option [such as just not grabbing the ledge here] or when you jumped on this platform for like no reason. Remember that you can hit Fox and Falco out of their upBs without really being in too much danger.

Also remember Fox and Falco are most dangerous when looking away from you as opposed to looking at you. Utilt and bair beat pretty much your whole moveset. Not to say that you can't do anything just kind of remember that utilt and bair are incredibly strong options.

Your techchasing also needs some work, you tend to just choose an option and not actually react to what your opponent is doing. For example, you knock him down, he rolls, and then you stomp where he used to be.

I feel the best tiein to what you need to work on is - I feel like you have no idea what your goals are in this match up.
Halfway through the second match you just devolve into kind of trying anything in a hope of getting something but I don't get the sense you really know what you're trying to achieve here.

So the questions I would ask myself if I were you is "what am I trying to get out of this match up, how do I win and how do I lose? What sort of options allow me to best accentuate my goals while minimizing my potential failures?"
That most of all seems to be the crux of your struggles in this set.

CaramelCenter

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjiowkRdV4s

I started playing Falcon this summer after deciding Sheik wasn't my thing. How do you guys think I could've gotten in better, granted I was playing Cactuar so it would've been tricky either way, but what big mistakes am I making (aside from those times where I'd run off the stage because that's nerves from playing in front of a crowd on stream with Westballz behind me **** talking and such) that made this set so quick?

0Room

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvQFTBCdfh4&list=PLd5VO-lrDWE_HBk1RycMTsqEDYQZ1VN56&index=2
My first time seeing myself play. I'm gonna ask my friends to critique it as well, but if anyone has any feedback, I'll listen.
Posting to let you know I have seen this and will get to it later

I started playing Falcon this summer after deciding Sheik wasn't my thing. How do you guys think I could've gotten in better, granted I was playing Cactuar so it would've been tricky either way, but what big mistakes am I making (aside from those times where I'd run off the stage because that's nerves from playing in front of a crowd on stream with Westballz behind me **** talking and such) that made this set so quick?
"Yeah I started out playing CF the other week and then I played Cactuar so what did I do wrong" rofl

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
These are all things I'm trying to get into the habit of doing. Just need to play more and get used to it. I do it in practice most of the time, but it seems nerves still get the best of me in actual games.
Nerves get to me too, but my strategy for dealing with them is to never practice in a calm environment. Like I've heard amsa practiced edge-canceling eggs while doing event 50 (crazy/master hand), so I practice sheik's shino stall on event 50. But even when I'm practicing any tech, I'll try to swerve my eyes around the room, or maybe a sibling could be as annoying as possible (short of unplugging the controller).

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice

I mean, yeah, you played against a really good player and you're new to falcon. But honestly, the commentary spit out the best advice: your approaches are pretty simple, and cactuar usually just WDes back and punishes you for it.

If you watch good falcon players play against fox, they mix up their approaches, and they keep fox from approaching with nairs. I'm not really sure what kind of style cactuar has with his fox, but retreating nairs and other aerial moves to cover your space need to happen. That's kind of the gist of it, but its hard to really critique you on anything else because you were getting combo the majority of the video lol.

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
Nerves get to me too, but my strategy for dealing with them is to never practice in a calm environment. Like I've heard amsa practiced edge-canceling eggs while doing event 50 (crazy/master hand), so I practice sheik's shino stall on event 50. But even when I'm practicing any tech, I'll try to swerve my eyes around the room, or maybe a sibling could be as annoying as possible (short of unplugging the controller).
Well, after attending a few tourneys and stuff, I think I've gotten over the majority of it and tech skill seems to sink in a lot better now during actual matches. The only problem I really have is my hands getting sweaty which keeps me from being able to moonwalk because the joystick becomes too slick to move it quickly enough.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
Smashboards as a whole is kind of slow.
And it requires videos do to video critiques :d
That being said, since you looked at NFreaks I'll look at Nicco's.

1st tip - Right click on the Twitch vod to get the option "Get link for video at current time"

Okay first off you seem like you're pretty solid already. Lots of platform play and stuff like that and that's great, I'm not a fan of just throwing out nairs forever but you're not really getting punished for them so whatever. Try some empty hops and stuff too to psych people out. Overall you seem to problem of just doing stuff to do stuff and don't really have a purpose behind it.

In regards to actually edgeguarding, that's an area I would recommend getting a little more practice in. A lot of time you're like WAYYYYY off base or not taking the correct option [such as just not grabbing the ledge here] or when you jumped on this platform for like no reason. Remember that you can hit Fox and Falco out of their upBs without really being in too much danger.

Also remember Fox and Falco are most dangerous when looking away from you as opposed to looking at you. Utilt and bair beat pretty much your whole moveset. Not to say that you can't do anything just kind of remember that utilt and bair are incredibly strong options.

Your techchasing also needs some work, you tend to just choose an option and not actually react to what your opponent is doing. For example, you knock him down, he rolls, and then you stomp where he used to be.

I feel the best tiein to what you need to work on is - I feel like you have no idea what your goals are in this match up.
Halfway through the second match you just devolve into kind of trying anything in a hope of getting something but I don't get the sense you really know what you're trying to achieve here.

So the questions I would ask myself if I were you is "what am I trying to get out of this match up, how do I win and how do I lose? What sort of options allow me to best accentuate my goals while minimizing my potential failures?"
That most of all seems to be the crux of your struggles in this set.
Thanks so much for the input, greatly appreciated!

Psycho waffles

Smash Rookie
/psycho_waffles/c/6181068 vs marth
/psycho_waffles/c/6187651 vs peach
On twitch (this is netplay i haven't got anything recorded from the few locals i've been to sorry)
Any and all criticism is welcome and just to note i have been playing seriously for >2months so it will be ugly.

Last edited:

DerpyFalcon

Smash Rookie
Hey guys so I feel like my Falcon has taken many steps and bounds in the last few months, but I always have more to improve on. Lemme know what you guys think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bywmi_g7XU&list=PLNaRrdCO2At_-Nd4-tdVVbXnzYflF-jba&index=9
Dude don't go to fountain okay it is bad for falcon cuz you can't shfl when the platforms are low (like 72 percent of the time) and the bad thing is that you let him take you there the first match but you did great lots of read techs great mobility knowing how to approach but ur not using enough nairs they're great and do up throws on space animals at around 85-90 percent leads to more uairs and that was a great counter pick

Taka.

Smash Rookie
Hey guys so I feel like my Falcon has taken many steps and bounds in the last few months, but I always have more to improve on. Lemme know what you guys think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bywmi_g7XU&list=PLNaRrdCO2At_-Nd4-tdVVbXnzYflF-jba&index=9
You have a good general idea on how to play Falcon but, I see that you are committing very hard most times, both in neutral and in tech-chase situations. In neutral you need to space your aerials much better, especially d-airs and n-airs, and I'd suggest you start using well-spaced b-airs. When it comes to tech-chasing, I believe Falcon can cover almost every single option spacies has on reaction. This allows you to regrab opponents again and again, giving you more information on how they choose to tech.

Other than that I think you can get a lot more opportunities by playing a bit more patiently. You have a very aggressive Falcon. Players you have played before will think that you will just rambo in to them with d-airs and n-airs. You have already established threats that you can use as baits if you play more patiently and thoughtful.

When it comes to stages it's really the player over the character, choose what you think is best for you, not for Falcon in general.

GL HF, keep it up, looking forward to see your improved Falcon. :)

Taka.

Smash Rookie
/psycho_waffles/c/6181068 vs marth
/psycho_waffles/c/6187651 vs peach
On twitch (this is netplay i haven't got anything recorded from the few locals i've been to sorry)
Any and all criticism is welcome and just to note i have been playing seriously for >2months so it will be ugly.
You have a really nice Falcon for having played as little as 2 months. Stellar movement, creative punishment.
I didn't watch much of it, but it looks promising. Can't really give any critique on netplay matches 'cause it's mostly autopiloting. Get your ass to a tournament, show them what you got and bring it back here for critique.

Top Bottom