• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon MU?

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Ive been told this MU was easy, but I guess because of my patient playstyle I always had trouble vs decent Falcon players. I feel like when I try the crouching strategy, my reaction time poops on me and I get hit by stuff I shouldn't (dtilt, downB) How do you guys play neutral vs this character? I've always kinda been annoyed playing characters with good midrange games, mostly because of dash grab. Any advice or tips? There's like no high level Kirby vs Falcon vids on YT and I'm at a loss...

Last edited:

FKA Kobra

Smash Cadet
NNID
super-kobe-10
Well I usually don't have much trouble with falcon, unless it's a good falcon that isn't predictable. Crouching is great, but if your too predictable with it falcon can still punish you if you don't react to what he does. You shouldn't rely on crouch to win against him, it's mostly just a good tool to not get grabbed. You mostly want to combo him and get falcon offstage. I usually throw up tilts if falcon trys to attack from above or throw out fairs when he is trying to rush me and crouch when I land so he can't punish with a grab. When I am crouching I throw out down tlits which usually stops falcon from getting too close and doing stuff like down tilt. Also you probably don't want to be in the air much because falcon's up air can pile on damage quickly. I play more aggressive in general so you probably play different from me but up tilt, down tilt, and fair are good to use in the neutral and not very punishable like dair.

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
I play a rather aggressive Kirby, so I usually go and butt heads with him. Forward airs are really good for stuffing out a lot of Falcon's approaches. He's a fast faller I believe so he's combo food if you get an Utilt, but wait until you've built % to use the Fthrow -> Fair combo. Also be careful of which follow ups you use from Dair as he may hit the ground and powershield your follow ups. Once he's off the stage, hover above him and nail him with Dair for the kill. Also if you eat Falcon, make sure you use his own Falcon punch against him!

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I play a rather aggressive Kirby, so I usually go and butt heads with him. Forward airs are really good for stuffing out a lot of Falcon's approaches. He's a fast faller I believe so he's combo food if you get an Utilt, but wait until you've built % to use the Fthrow -> Fair combo. Also be careful of which follow ups you use from Dair as he may hit the ground and powershield your follow ups. Once he's off the stage, hover above him and nail him with Dair for the kill. Also if you eat Falcon, make sure you use his own Falcon punch against him!

I'm not so sure about using Falcon Punch in this MU. Sure, it's a great kill option if you can get it, but it's very situational at best and sometimes requires a hard read to get. Just my two cents.

As for the MU, it really depends on the skill level. I know that sounds like a cop-out answer, but hear me out. Yes, Kirby bops Falcon on lower level play because Falcon is combo food, and since Kirby has a fantastic combo game during early and mid percents, racking up damage isn't hard to do. Kirby also has some great KO moves to use, my personal favorites being D-Smash, and U-Throw on platform stages like Dreamland 64. Crouching does help, but as FKA Kobra FKA Kobra mentioned, don't rely on it too much because it'll become predictable. Edge guarding Falcon can be a bit on the tricky side. Like us, Falcon players recover low, but unlike us, Falcon's air speed isn't nearly as slow as ours, allowing him to have an easier time getting back on the stage. D-Air definitely helps out here, so I recommend doing that when he's off stage. Otherwise, I recommend D-Smash or U-Throw for killing. B-Air's not a bad option either.

I often like to think Falcon is similar to Kirby in a few ways: Great damage output, excellent pressure and combo game, and having a decent option of kill moves. However, what makes Falcon more of a threat than Kirby is his ground speed. Kirby's ground speed is okay, but Falcon's is much faster, and that alone makes his pressure game stronger than Kirby's. It also doesn't help that Falcon is more hot than cold, whereas Kirby can go either or.

In the end, I'd say Kirby can go even with Falcon on lower to mid level play. High play still needs to be seen due to the lack of really notable Kirby mains besides MikeKirby and Triple R.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I'm not so sure about using Falcon Punch in this MU. Sure, it's a great kill option if you can get it, but it's very situational at best and sometimes requires a hard read to get. Just my two cents.

As for the MU, it really depends on the skill level. I know that sounds like a cop-out answer, but hear me out. Yes, Kirby bops Falcon on lower level play because Falcon is combo food, and since Kirby has a fantastic combo game during early and mid percents, racking up damage isn't hard to do. Kirby also has some great KO moves to use, my personal favorites being D-Smash, and U-Throw on platform stages like Dreamland 64. Crouching does help, but as FKA Kobra FKA Kobra mentioned, don't rely on it too much because it'll become predictable. Edge guarding Falcon can be a bit on the tricky side. Like us, Falcon players recover low, but unlike us, Falcon's air speed isn't nearly as slow as ours, allowing him to have an easier time getting back on the stage. D-Air definitely helps out here, so I recommend doing that when he's off stage. Otherwise, I recommend D-Smash or U-Throw for killing. B-Air's not a bad option either.

I often like to think Falcon is similar to Kirby in a few ways: Great damage output, excellent pressure and combo game, and having a decent option of kill moves. However, what makes Falcon more of a threat than Kirby is his ground speed. Kirby's ground speed is okay, but Falcon's is much faster, and that alone makes his pressure game stronger than Kirby's. It also doesn't help that Falcon is more hot than cold, whereas Kirby can go either or.

In the end, I'd say Kirby can go even with Falcon on lower to mid level play. High play still needs to be seen due to the lack of really notable Kirby mains besides MikeKirby and Triple R.
It's hard to find, but Nick C vs Mike is the only high level footage I've seen of the MU, and both of those games were retardedly close, with Mike barely edging it out.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
It's hard to find, but Nick C vs Mike is the only high level footage I've seen of the MU, and both of those games were retardedly close, with Mike barely edging it out.
I see. It's tough finding top level Kirby players, seeing as how there aren't many of them out there. http://www.ssbwiki.com/Kirby_(SSB4)
I don't know how accurate this wiki is, but it says that Kirby's been getting better, though still below average overall. That's an improvement seeing as how Kirby had some pretty lackluster results a while ago. Baby steps, guys.

Top Bottom