• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon Main here, cannot beat sonic LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
Afternoon everyone, needed some advice and resources on how i can work on beating sonic. My professor allowed us to hook the Wii u up to the TV in his classroom during lunch so we played a few matches. My classmate boasted his sonic and i got mopped. I am a aggressive falcon player and got countered for every move i set out to him. Got a few good hits in but his sonic had better reactions and exchanges. Need resources and advice on how a Captain Falcon main can beat a sonic main,i have a rematch tomorrow and need to beat him. Anything helps,thanks!

DonOwens

Smash Cadet
Not that I have super specific advice for you, but while falcon is obviously fast Sonic's attacks for the most part are quicker. You need to combat this by:
1. If he is an aggressive sonic player, you have to bait him and play defensively, space and shield correctly and just wait for him to throw out stuff you can punish.
2. If he is playing defensive and you're the one approaching and getting countered, he is fundamentally better than you and you will either have to get better in order to keep approaching, or as I said before play more defensively (not completely defensively, don't get stuck in shield) and wait for him to come to you and make mistakes.

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
Not that I have super specific advice for you, but while falcon is obviously fast Sonic's attacks for the most part are quicker. You need to combat this by:
1. If he is an aggressive sonic player, you have to bait him and play defensively, space and shield correctly and just wait for him to throw out stuff you can punish.
2. If he is playing defensive and you're the one approaching and getting countered, he is fundamentally better than you and you will either have to get better in order to keep approaching, or as I said before play more defensively (not completely defensively, don't get stuck in shield) and wait for him to come to you and make mistakes.
I appreciate the advice! I've been playing level 9 sonic for a few hours and I got the AI figured out. My biggest issue was finding a way to deal with the homing and charge attack. If I falcon kick from the middle of the stage or closer, I can deal damage and stop him. Also attack while he is in the air due to him being free and harmless. Just need to be quick on my feet and learn to shield because I never do lol I feel comfortable enough taking him on tomorrow with better options for dealing with his attacks and being more reactive to his smashes. Edge guarding also helps because he can't quite fully control his speed or homing attack. Going to keep practicing and now Practice power shielding whenever possible to minimize damage and stay on the offensive

Last edited:

Corb64

Smash Rookie
Don't practice on Level 9 CPUs.

They have frame perfect air dodges, which is physically impossible, so the CPU can easily airdodge through edge guards and combos

If i remember, Level 7 CPUs sometimes air dodge, and level 6 CPUs don't air dodge

So go into training and practice against either a level 7 or 6 CPU

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
Don't practice on Level 9 CPUs.

They have frame perfect air dodges, which is physically impossible, so the CPU can easily airdodge through edge guards and combos

If i remember, Level 7 CPUs sometimes air dodge, and level 6 CPUs don't air dodge

So go into training and practice against either a level 7 or 6 CPU
Had no idea, I will Def do that!

Axplosive

Smash Rookie
I'm a Cap main and I also was pretty lame at Sanic matchup, so here's my tips

-Always keep a good space away
Sanic mainly approaches with that move that turns him into a ball and makes him move fast (lol) so when he jumps in the air, there's a brief moment where he can't act. Go for Nairs there (or Uairs)

-Utilise your tilts
Dtilt is a favourite of mine to keep him out of range, and it has a good horizontal knockback. Get him offstage and abuse his recovery!

-The Heel(s) of Shame
Dsmash is also good for countering his approach and if you land it just right it almost looks like you're playing football with Sanic!

-kill with The Elbow of Judgement
From about 73% and up, an angled down Fsmash kills pretty nicely (although from that low you'll have to charge more than halfway)

Remember - your main is a character of intimidating - don't be afraid to throw out some Nairs and Uairs to scare them out!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Here you go: https://smashboards.com/threads/sonic-and-the-book-of-matchups.390575/

In your case I would recommend focusing on learning how to stuff his approaches. This is a match-up I always play super lame as against Falcon so if he's being aggressive there are tons of openings to take advantage of. Falcon's burst range and ability to punish Sonic's spins OoS and juggling him are where he shines.

At you and your opponent's level you may be able to get away with just holding jab if he runs or spins directly at you. Otherwise just hide in shield when in doubt, then land hits when he's trying to land.

For HA, just spotdodge. It loses its mark when you are invincible and it has a ton of end lag on whiff that you're free to punish.

:093:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom