• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon Hitbox Visualization

Furil

Smash Apprentice
Smash 4 hitboxes are interpolated, so imagine a line between a hitbox's current position and it's last. It hits that area too.
Example: http://i.imgur.com/wEBKNpI.gif

There are potentially bugs in any of these, so let me know if you notice anything particuarly off and I'll check. There have been instances of weird hitboxes that ended up being a bug.

Falcon may have had the least complicated frame and model data of all.
His model doesn't even have any weird glitches such as Zero Mouth Samus.

Because why not?

Mini-FAQ:
Q: How did you make these?
A: I made a parser for animcmd commands and applied it to the model and animation from the 3DS version of the game.

Q: Can you do hurtboxes?
A: Not yet

Q: These don't look like the quality of the Wii U models, why?
A: These are 3DS models (and data). There isn't a difference in frame data between Wii U and 3DS.

Q: This attack looks wrong, is this actually correct?
A: Let me know which one and I'll check. It's possible for a bug or two to mess up stuff.

Q: The image isn't playing.
A: There are play, reverse, and frame advance buttons under the images. They may be hard to see.

Q: Can I use these for my guide?
A: Yes.

Thank you

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
These hitboxes are stupid! Way too good for Smash 4. I can't imagine stupider hitboxes except maybe Roy.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Oh boy there they are, awesome job as usual Furil. Only problems I see here are that Jab3 is Jab1 and Dash attack is Jab3, so there 2 jab1 and no dash attack. The hitboxes seem to coincide with what I had found in my rudimentary researches.

Small request : can I ask you to make one for the jab multihit finisher pretty please ? I think people do not realize how stupid this hitbox is.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
These are some ridiculously good hitboxes.

Good ****, falcon. way better than I thought lol

Last edited:

Sabaca

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SABACA
3DS FC
5198-2440-0970
Will you add raptor boost attack (aerial and ground) and full upb and dashattack later on?

Clamhat

Smash Rookie
NNID
Clamhat
Thanks a ton! This is way more encouraging than I expected.

Brusco

Smash Rookie
NNID
ajbru00
3DS FC
4768-7528-4585
Awesome! thanks for this

Tetra-76

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tetra-flo
3DS FC
5129-4481-5064
Some of these are absolutely ridiculous, omg. I didn't expect his hitboxes to be so good. Like Telu and Sabaca said, I'd like a visual on some other stuff too, if you can:

-Rapid jab
-Rapid jab finisher (I can tell this one is gonna be fun, lol)
-Raptor Boost attack (ground)
-Raptor Boost attack (aerial, I'd love to know where exactly the spike hitbox is)
-Falcon dive
-If possible, just Falcon's standing jab (when you hold A). I'm basically wondering how long the gap is between his jabs, if it's one or two frames (I doubt it's any more than that, but you never know). Could be useful to know.

EDIT: I know you've had problems with grab hitboxes, too, but Dash Grab would also be nice, if you can figure out a way to display it properly. Falcon can consistenly dash grab rapid jabs somehow, so I'd love to see how it works exactly. Maybe dash grab can beat even more stuff than we think, it'd be interesting.

In any case, thanks a ton for this Furil, it helps a lot! :D

Last edited:

Furil

Smash Apprentice
-Rapid jab
-Rapid jab finisher (I can tell this one is gonna be fun, lol)
-Raptor Boost attack (ground)
-Raptor Boost attack (aerial, I'd love to know where exactly the spike hitbox is)
-Falcon dive
-If possible, just Falcon's standing jab (when you hold A). I'm basically wondering how long the gap is between his jabs, if it's one or two frames (I doubt it's any more than that, but you never know). Could be useful to know.
I didn't really know how rapid jabs worked before, but after a bit of manual tinkering, I think I got it. It's not an automated process yet, but it's a good step forward.
I added the Raptor Boosts attacks.
By Falcon Dive are you referring to the grab box?
I added all three grabs. Of course, take them with a grain of salt.

And with that, I think Falcon is the first "finished" character I've got so far.

Furil

Smash Apprentice
Thanks again Furil Furil for all your hard work.
The jab finisher hitbox seems off and you might need to rotate it by 90°
See this image for reference.
Eh, I guess I spoke too soon. I don't understand how the finisher works. It is apparently attached to bone 512 (which obviously is not a thing).
I tried attaching it to all of his bones, but none of them look even remotely close, so I'm going to remove it for now.

Edit:
Whoops, my program was reading the wrong attack all together! It was caused by a very specific bug, but I got it fixed now.
I wonder what attack that other one was for...

And according to this, there are two hitboxes there at the same time and one is the spike for air raptor boost.
I think the tiny one has priority, so if it hits first, then the other two won't at all. The other two are the same size, and one hits air opponents(the spike one) and one hits grounded opponents. That's my guess, someone else probably can better explain.
Code:
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=5.0)
Special_Hitbox(ID=0, Part=0, Bone=16, Damage=8.0, Angle=60, KBG=80, FKB=0, BKB=60, Size=3.0, Z=-1.0, Y=0.0, X=0.0, Effect=5, Trip=0.0, Hitlag=2.0, SDI=1.0, Clang=1, Unknown=0, ShieldDamage=2, SFXType=2, Ground/Air=8, Direct/Indirect=3, Unknown=1, Unknown=4, Unknown=63, Unknown=0, Unknown=15, Unknown=0, Unknown=1, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=3, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0)
Special_Hitbox(ID=1, Part=0, Bone=16, Damage=8.0, Angle=270, KBG=70, FKB=0, BKB=60, Size=8.0, Z=8.0, Y=0.0, X=0.4, Effect=5, Trip=0.0, Hitlag=2.0, SDI=1.0, Clang=1, Unknown=0, ShieldDamage=2, SFXType=2, Ground/Air=8, Direct/Indirect=2, Unknown=1, Unknown=4, Unknown=63, Unknown=0, Unknown=15, Unknown=0, Unknown=1, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=3, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0)
Special_Hitbox(ID=2, Part=0, Bone=16, Damage=8.0, Angle=60, KBG=80, FKB=0, BKB=60, Size=8.0, Z=8.0, Y=0.0, X=0.4, Effect=5, Trip=0.0, Hitlag=2.0, SDI=1.0, Clang=1, Unknown=0, ShieldDamage=2, SFXType=2, Ground/Air=8, Direct/Indirect=1, Unknown=1, Unknown=4, Unknown=63, Unknown=0, Unknown=15, Unknown=0, Unknown=1, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=3, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0, Unknown=0)
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=6.0)
Add_Momentum(Vertical=-0.5, Horizontal=2.5)
unk_B3EAA5C2(Unknown=503316507)
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=7.0)
Remove_All_Hitboxes()
Script_End()

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I didn't really know how rapid jabs worked before, but after a bit of manual tinkering, I think I got it. It's not an automated process yet, but it's a good step forward.
I added the Raptor Boosts attacks.
By Falcon Dive are you referring to the grab box?
I added all three grabs. Of course, take them with a grain of salt.

And with that, I think Falcon is the first "finished" character I've got so far.
Jab 3 is the wrong jab.

For raptor boost attacks and the rapid jab/finisher shouldn't he be making a fist?

Tetra-76

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tetra-flo
3DS FC
5129-4481-5064
Wow, thanks a ton Furil, everything seems about right! The only thing missing is UpB's grab hitbox, but it's not a huge deal, I imagine it's similar to the Brawl one. Most of these looked way too good for Brawl Falcon to me, but they're surprisingly the same, in many cases:

I imagined dash grab to be a bit disjointed, so maybe it's slightly off, or maybe it's just me. I might somehow be grabbing people inbetween their jabs, I just don't know how I can do it consistently.

As for Raptor Boost, that explains why getting the spike is so difficult. The detector hitbox is at the same spot as the tiny hitbox with priority, so that's what connects most of the time, I'd imagine. The only way to get the spike in these conditions would be if the opponent is moving in the same direction as Falcon, I guess. If they get away from the tiny hitbox in the 5 frames it takes for the attack to come out, and end up only touching the big hitbox. I'll do a few tests, this seems interesting. Maybe it could be used as an edgeguarding tool more often, if that's how it works, since you'd be following the opponent on their way back to the stage.

Again, thanks a lot for your hard work! It might not seem like it given the crude, excessively huge hitboxes Falcon has, but he takes a lot of precision and subtlety to play at high level, so those visuals are really gonna help a lot. ^^

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Wow, thanks a ton Furil, everything seems about right! The only thing missing is UpB's grab hitbox, but it's not a huge deal, I imagine it's similar to the Brawl one. Most of these looked way too good for Brawl Falcon to me, but they're surprisingly the same, in many cases:

I imagined dash grab to be a bit disjointed, so maybe it's slightly off, or maybe it's just me. I might somehow be grabbing people inbetween their jabs, I just don't know how I can do it consistently.

As for Raptor Boost, that explains why getting the spike is so difficult. The detector hitbox is at the same spot as the tiny hitbox with priority, so that's what connects most of the time, I'd imagine. The only way to get the spike in these conditions would be if the opponent is moving in the same direction as Falcon, I guess. If they get away from the tiny hitbox in the 5 frames it takes for the attack to come out, and end up only touching the big hitbox. I'll do a few tests, this seems interesting. Maybe it could be used as an edgeguarding tool more often, if that's how it works, since you'd be following the opponent on their way back to the stage.

Again, thanks a lot for your hard work! It might not seem like it given the crude, excessively huge hitboxes Falcon has, but he takes a lot of precision and subtlety to play at high level, so those visuals are really gonna help a lot. ^^
Well that's the thing. Smash 4 nerfed hitboxes, among other things. Falcon escaped this.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
That's Falcon's thing though.
He goes through the games untouched, only influenced by the game's engine.

Take a look at his frame data in Melee Brawl and 4, you'll be surprised how little he's changed for a character that has gone from high tier to bottom tier to high tier again.

Tetra-76 Tetra-76 The illusion on Falcon's dash grab range comes from how fast he moves. The hitbox doesn't need to be disjointed if the character slides like a madman.

joeltun

Smash Rookie
NNID
MK8joeltun
Ok, something is wrong with this. The DAIR transforms Captain Falcon's entire body into an hitbox for 1.4 seconds.

Last edited:
Top Bottom