• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon has a pistol on his costume (and doesnt use it)

D

Deleted member

captain falcon doesn't use a gun because he doesn't need a gun

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Then why even include it in the character model? Does he use it at all in F-zero games?

Sco7t

Smash Rookie
He's a bounty hunter, I'd assume he uses his gun against particularly difficult criminals. Smash is a sport though, so him using that gun would be poor sportsmanship.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Samus is a bounty hunter who uses her firearms in Smash.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
I'd take it as Captain Falcon's moveset is super iconic to Smash and hankering it with a pistol could be controversial to a few folk...
Yeah but lets take this back to smash 64.... he didnt use the gun then. I actually am realizing now that all of his character models had guns and he never uses them! So why did the game designers op out of him using a gun in the original game? My guess is that they already had 2 gunslingers at the time: Samus and Fox.

I absolutely think Falcon Punch is a cooler move than any potential gun move they could have come up with for Captain Falcon, but still, this is the type of thing that keeps me up at night. It just baffles me that they include the gun at all if hes not gunna use it!

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Yeah but lets take this back to smash 64.... he didnt use the gun then. I actually am realizing now that all of his character models had guns and he never uses them! So why did the game designers op out of him using a gun in the original game? My guess is that they already had 2 gunslingers at the time: Samus and Fox.

I absolutely think Falcon Punch is a cooler move than any potential gun move they could have come up with for Captain Falcon, but still, this is the type of thing that keeps me up at night. It just baffles me that they include the gun at all if hes not gunna use it!
Ultimate has been keeping up with the canon interpretations so far. Falcon is a bounty hunter in F~Zero and thus he has a holster & gun to reflect that.
They're just wary about changing Flacon's playstyle to include any moves involving the aforesaid gun. It could be a cool taunt, but at the moment it's a cool aesthetic detail and nothing else.

DDRC

Smash Apprentice
Okay but does anyone really want to replace any of captains falcons iconic moves for a projectile at this point

GeniuswithJ

Smash Rookie

It's my unserstanding that smash 64 was originally something like dragon king: the fighting game and essentially Saturo Iwata suggested to Sakurai to use more iconic Nintendo characters than the generic models they were currently using for the game. Comparing the prototype character models supposedly they match up pretty close or exactly with captn Falcon so from what I've read a lot of captn Falcon's move set is from that prototypes game with his skin over it and the reason they kept the pistol was because i think its visible in either the F-zero or F-zero X game manual and maybe they didn't program it because of time reasons? That's atleast my understanding as to Captain Falcons history in the game

D

Deleted member

tbh it's probably the same reason ganondorf didn't use his sword in brawl/smash 4

like, maybe he just feels like his up-close and personal moves would be better to fight with in smash or smth idk

Last edited by a moderator:

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
It's my unserstanding that smash 64 was originally something like dragon king: the fighting game and essentially Saturo Iwata suggested to Sakurai to use more iconic Nintendo characters than the generic models they were currently using for the game. Comparing the prototype character models supposedly they match up pretty close or exactly with captn Falcon so from what I've read a lot of captn Falcon's move set is from that prototypes game with his skin over it and the reason they kept the pistol was because i think its visible in either the F-zero or F-zero X game manual and maybe they didn't program it because of time reasons? That's atleast my understanding as to Captain Falcons history in the game
Now this is the answer I was looking for! Thats some cool smash knowledge right there! Where did you learn that?

GeniuswithJ

Smash Rookie
Now this is the answer I was looking for! Thats some cool smash knowledge right there! Where did you learn that?
Mix of Wikipedia and a lot of youtube videos. Before ultimate came out ssb64 was really the only smash game i played consistently over the past 3 years

Top Bottom