• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Captain Falcon FAQ and Training Guide

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
What should be done as Falcon in the falco matchup? Idk what i'm doing at all, how do I deal with lasers obvi and what should I do OoS?

Last edited:

TurmoilTom

Smash Rookie
What should be done as Falcon in the falco matchup? Idk what i'm doing at all, how do I deal with lasers obvi and what should I do OoS?
>What should be done as Falcon in the Falco match-up?
Be a better player and work harder than the Falco player.

>How do I deal with lasers?
Power-shield. Shield normally and wave-dash out of shield. Escape to platforms. If you get caught in shield and you're not sure which direction to wave-dash and your shield is getting too low to think about it, buffer a roll. Once you reach the distance where you can apply aerial pressure close enough to prevent lasers and simultaneously properly space your n-airs, don't let go. Try to be close enough that you can potentially grab him if he tries to short-hop back and laser, but also far enough away that a well-spaced n-air or dash-dance grab can potentially convert if he lunges for you. Dash-dances intermixed with escaping wave-dashes are important.

Also, keep in mind that when escaping to platforms, Falcon's out of shield options improve with well applied shield-drop u-airs. If you can shield drop under pressure, escaping to platforms may be preferable to you rather than shielding past the lasers on ground level.

>What should I do out of shield?
Wave-dash. Falcon's out of shield options are too slow to reliably deal with a Falco that isn't cripplingly drunk. Although intoxicating your opponent can be a powerful strategy when properly employed, the chances of successfully doing so are often so low that it has been deemed non-viable for tournaments.

Being from relatively dead regions in terms of Melee, this advice is based entirely off of footage I've seen. I have not played a good Falco in my entire life, so everything I've said might be wrong. The only way to tell is through application. Hope this helps.

Waves

Smash Rookie
Retreating bairs oos are rlly good, Falcos love the short hop laser into dair just wait for it and bair him. also use your speed, your faster than falco on the ground run at him make him be defensive and run away/shield. Falcos thrive on keeping you in shield, especially as Falcon. just eat a few lasers and go for him with a knee or well spaced nair. Also, yeah camping platforms, though lame, ****s him, Falco wants to be coming from above you so stay up there and play a little gay. don't spotdodge the shield pressure, he will just pillar you for days. go at him, but when he is coming at you dont be afraid to run away. just get him off stage and edgeguard, you just death touch eachother in this MU anyway so dont worry about taking %.

CbM_

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1723-7582-5511
Can someone tell me how to do this weird wavedash back thing on the ledge? I couldnt find any tutorials or something online...

reBirth_Prime

Smash Rookie
Is anyone making or posting new falcon content? Or has the character stayed roughly the same since 2016?

flyboy__

Smash Cadet
Is anyone making or posting new falcon content? Or has the character stayed roughly the same since 2016?
i watch anything wizzrobe s2j and none put out. The former two put out more guides, while the latter you have to learn through osmosis. But no the character is wildly better than in 2016.

Ilchik

Smash Rookie
I think there is nothing much more to say about Falcon, he's being here for a while. But I've found a pretty fresh guide about Falcon's picks and counter picks by Fatality (Griffin Miller), hope you'll learn something new from it

Last edited:
Top Bottom