• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain falcon approach and AT

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
What are the different way to approach an opponent as captain falcon other than dash attack or dash grab ? What are the safe option ?

And is there anyway where a list of captain falcon advanced technique ? What are they ?

Thanks again for the time you take to answer. I did post my question on the Q/A forum multiple time but nobody took time to answer.

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
Short hopping and then fast falling neutral A and up airs is a great approach almost no landing lag

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
You have many options for approaching.

Back air and Up Air are the best

Be careful with nuetral air since the lag on it is greater. It's still relatively safe. I find it best to fast fall the Nair since the first hit has set knockback that combos into grab. So just fast fall so that second hit doesn't come out.

Dair is also solid-ish. Specifically only if your opponent is camping you (ex: Kirby crouching waiting for your approach, campy villager)

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
A useful technique for Falcon that I see some people (including myself) do is the dance trot, which is a mixture of dash dancing and fox trotting (it looks like an extended dash dance, similar to Melee). As long as you do it sparingly it can really throw off the opponent leading to them doing something that leaves them open, allowing you to get the early advantage needed.

ShortRound

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShortRound
I try to mix things up by approaching with bairs or nairs. Most of the time those work. My biggest problem is approaching a good Mega Man.

Probalo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mattoswine
3DS FC
4356-0295-3822
Switch FC
SW 5442-3764-0807
Other than dash grabs and dash attacks, I usually approach with short hop nair, short hop uair or short hop bair. At higher percentages, I use short hop dair to lead into a combo.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
An important thing to remember is to sometimes not approach at all unless you're forced to by projectiles. You can just sort of run around by canceling your dashes with shield, shorthop aerial attacks, or learn the aforementioned extended dash dancing. The way it works is you input a single dash forward quickly and let go of the control stick, then at the end of the dash input another one forward very quickly in the same direction and immediately after input one the other way. You can keep doing this indefinitely and you can do two or three in the same direction at once etc. The timing takes some time to learn however, it's pretty rhythmic.

Regardless back to what I was saying; not approaching at all and just running around doing stuff pressures the opponent because of how fast Falcon is, the threat of dash attack or dash grab and their constant anticipation. This makes it way easier to eventually catch them off guard with either of those two moves, especially if you stay in mid-range (approximately the distance of Falcon's side b / Raptor Boost). Once you're in that distance, you can also use dtilt to occasionally poke at the opponent, it has pretty good range and sends them in a very bad angle at low %, and kills them at high %. Remember to also buffer your dash attacks in mid range by immediately pressing down on the c-stick (or right stick on Wii U controllers) after you start running. This makes your dash attack come out immediately without the danger of accidentally doing an fsmash. Discovering this was a really big deal for me personally at the time.

Falcon's approach options and neutral game in general are pretty good and underrated by a lot of people, for example in mid range he's the fastest character in the game because of the range of his dash grab, considerably faster than even Sonic if we're counting in frames, although I think Meta Knight and a few others can reach above-Sonic status as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom