• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon a fundamental based character?

Is Captain Falcon a great fundamental character for PM?

• Yes definitely!

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • No, pick someone else!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

After I watched this video from Melee Falcon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEtiGSeShK4&list=PLoU3TQBakHOq6EHo-Hs35bOlTRQnp5q6p&index=4), I wonder if it does apply in PM as well? I was considering picking up Falcon just to learn the fundamentals of PM (plus I love this character so much along with Marth), since I prefer it over Melee. My question is: is it true that Captain Falcon can be a great fundamentals character to pick up?

Also, do you think that Captain Falcon will fall down in the metagame as it progresses for PM 3.6? I checked the first recent tier list that was released for PM 3.6, and Falcon was in the exceptional category, which was kinda strange to me. The reason is that I thought that Falcon wasn't as good overall compared to the rest of the cast.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I don't recommend maining or extensively using Falcon until you are above intermediate skill level (ex: place slightly below middle of average tourney bracket, 25% chance to make it out of pools, etc). He's a character meant to be worked with once you have solid fundamentals and extensive understanding of his combo tree. Any player that's not already high tier probably should focus on someone more forgiving.

Falcon's about being brutally efficient in a multitude of situations and out maneuvering chars with better ground options than you (surprising list of chars).

Chars I'd recommend over Falcon for improving in PM:

Sheik
MK
Wolf
Fox
Diddy
Mario

Mario in particular is someone I'd recommend to many newer or growing players

Anyone that's over a certain skill level can probably whip out a good Falcon after some mild study / intuition / little bit of practice because he's still a very capable character.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
I don't recommend maining or extensively using Falcon until you are above intermediate skill level (ex: place slightly below middle of average tourney bracket, 25% chance to make it out of pools, etc). He's a character meant to be worked with once you have solid fundamentals and extensive understanding of his combo tree. Any player that's not already high tier probably should focus on someone more forgiving.

Falcon's about being brutally efficient in a multitude of situations and out maneuvering chars with better ground options than you (surprising list of chars).

Chars I'd recommend over Falcon for improving in PM:

Sheik
MK
Wolf
Fox
Diddy
Mario

Mario in particular is someone I'd recommend to many newer or growing players

Anyone that's over a certain skill level can probably whip out a good Falcon after some mild study / intuition / little bit of practice because he's still a very capable character.
I see. I don't want to main him, but I just want to use Falcon to practice my Melee and PM fundamentals. I don't like Sheik, Fox, Diddy and Wolf, because I find them too technical and not too appealing. I mained Mario in Smash 4, and I don't want to mess up with him. For MK, well... he's kinda boring to me...

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Play whoever appeals to you, but the Falcon life is rough until you become very solid as a player.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Play whoever appeals to you, but the Falcon life is rough until you become very solid as a player.
I can understand the struggle for Falcon mains, but my mindset for PM is not to win, but to have fun and improve my PM fundamentals. I don't mind playing Mario, because he's the one that appeals the most to me, but I don't plan to have him as my secondary. I just think that Falcon is a character that rewards you for using good fundamentals, which I also feel the same way with Marth. It was hard for me to play Falcon at first, because it took me a whole 4 months just to know how to control this character, because at first, he feels way too awkward... I got used to him now....

Top Bottom