• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Touch This! The G&W Ducking Thread.

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
I thought I'd make this thread.
As I lab I'm going to be grading the viability of ducking on different characters.
I've just started and I'll update this as I go through the roster. Feel free to list and suggest any character not on this list

Explanation of Grading
Grading is based off how effective a G&W who often ducks is against these characters when both are grounded in the neutral
A+: Limits pretty much any good grounded approach option against this character and restricts most options in general, forcing the opponent to change how they play completely
A-: Limits grounded approach options heavily, but there is a way for the opponent to beat it but it takes a large risk in being shielded
B+: Limits enough options or good/often used enough options to make the opponent occasionally think twice about their options
B-: Limits some options but multiple simple and noncommital ways to beat it so that they don't have to change neutral much, or is inconsistent against some options
C: Limits one or two decent options that character has, but you have to duck it on hard read and the opponent has other non-duckable options that have an equal chance of being used, or avoids/makes hard to land a/some good options but is inconsistent(damn you animated hurtboxes!)
D: Can avoid a grounded approach or attack option, but it isn't an often used or good option.
F: Useless, can't avoid anything other than maybe an option that's already never used anyway

These are subject to change over time obviously, and there are many more characters I have to test. Again, leave suggestions below.
EXAMPLES FOR EACH TIER
A+::4zss:-Severely limited options
A-::4falcon::4ryu:-Have to take risks to hit duck
B+::rosalina:-Ducks a usually very good option OR:4mewtwo:-Ducks multiple good options but has alternate options and is inconsistent on some(i.e. dash grab)
B-::4rob:-Ducks good options but is inconsistent and there are other options available
C::4cloud:-Ducks an option but requires a hardish read
D::4dk:-Ducks options in rare situations
F:A lot of characters, means ducking just isn't viable as an avoidance option. F- means it'll probably do more harm than good to duck while both you and your opponent are grounded, even with the hardest of reads. Either you can't actually duck anything or what you can duck is beyond pointless.

At this point I have taken a cursory look at the entire cast's grounded moveset. Aerials will come later and will likely affect tier placing in the complete 2.0 version

Later
1. I will make in-depth explanations for characters in the A tier because those will likely be very MU-relevant.
2. I'll move to tier list maker for cleaner showing.-CHECK
3. Makes smaller notes and lists of ducked options for characters C and up-CHECK

THE DUCK LIST
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-Lx4EUmrYVU9hX3ExCAsHea3vZvJdJolXAqV63aZnBM/edit?usp=sharing
This a comprehensize and specific list of what G&W can duck in progress BUT mostly done. Please alert me about anything you find missing.

Last edited:

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
Here's the tier list version 0.5 Link for posterityhttp://imgur.com/d7i5cCd
Below is the most current tier list, I'm calling it 0.95

EDIT: This is an alternate version of the tier list that takes a bit more into account how important the moves being ducked are(Actually I just put some characters in the wrong tiers when translating from my Duck List -_-) This time I tried to order them within the tiers up to F where it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Cheap Shot

Smash Cadet
Great stuff! How often should we be ducking against certain characters, particularly in the B+/B rows?

Last edited:
NNID
yeevahon
I was actually in the middle of testing these myself! I'll let you know if I get any conflicting data and we can compare :D

Folie

Smash Apprentice
ZSS grab "Y-Will catch G&W where it curls-not max range but a little close to the end. Pretty rare to actually land." Not true in the slightest, a good ZSS will know how to do this at least semi-reliably if they know of its existence.

If you don't attempt to learn this MU beyond crouching, you WILL get bopped by good ZSSs, just a word of warning

Last edited:

Vader614

Smash Cadet
NNID
andyvader
Niice! This is good work, Retro! Definitely gonna save this on my phone. :)

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Saw this from a labbing discord, great stuff. G&W is so quirky.

Top Bottom