• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't seem to get the MC from platform drop

DjiBy

Smash Rookie
Hi guys,

I am a new Samus and I search all the forum for this but I didn't find any explicit explanation of the MC from dropping through a platform. The way I am trying to do this right now is to drop from the platform then side B aSAP. However, Samus is hitting the ground without firing the missile (animation start but no time to complete).

Am I missing something or am I just to slow? All pros seems to be able to fire the missile right after dropping from the platform.
Thanks in advance.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
You're just too slow. Remember that you are supposed to do the smash missile and not the tilt missile. The smash missile is stronger and gets out faster. Keep practicing! :)

DjiBy

Smash Rookie
Hey thank you for the quick answer! At least now I know that its a speed issue and not a technical issue.

EXCITE!!!!

Smash Cadet
Is a missile cancel caused from just firing one as close to the ground as possible? because i am new to samus and i cant find an explanation for it

Smash Journeyman
when you land on the ground during a missile animation, it autocancels (4 frames landing lag) rather than forcing you to wait the full length of the animation.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Not-so-fun-fact:
It's possible to cancel the animation after the sound of shooting a missile happens but before the missile comes out. Shooting blanks.

On a more serious note, practicing nearly any new tech in Melee is hard. If you are having a difficult time performing it, just go into training and try doing it on 2/3rds speed. If you can't get it then, then go down to 1/2th. Do it until you can consistently successfully land it, then move the speed up. Just make sure you get back up to normal speed practice before jumping into a match XD

Litt

Samus
Not-so-fun-fact:
It's possible to cancel the animation after the sound of shooting a missile happens but before the missile comes out. Shooting blanks.

On a more serious note, practicing nearly any new tech in Melee is hard. If you are having a difficult time performing it, just go into training and try doing it on 2/3rds speed. If you can't get it then, then go down to 1/2th. Do it until you can consistently successfully land it, then move the speed up. Just make sure you get back up to normal speed practice before jumping into a match XD
That is not a not-so-fun-fact... its how you bait out characters that love to abuse their reflector like doc... fake missile cancel to bait out capes into charge shot ftw

Smash Journeyman
ugh once i waited for a mario to cape and then chargeshotted him on reaction

turns out mario's cape is:
Total: 35
Hit: 12-14
Reflects: 6-33

RIP

Litt

Samus
ugh once i waited for a mario to cape and then chargeshotted him on reaction

turns out mario's cape is:
Total: 35
Hit: 12-14
Reflects: 6-33

RIP
Even still if the mario sees you baiting out the cape, most of the time they are like... pshhh they are gonna f up the timing, so I just go for free extendur grabs after fake missile cancels

DjiBy

Smash Rookie
Hi again guys.

It seems now I can MC from platforms. However, I was wondering what is the most efficient way to do it between the twos:
1: Control stick down to fall under the platform -> control stick return to neutral -> then control stick right/left + side B
2: Control stick down to fall under the platform -> quarter circle the control stick to the left and the right and then, + B

Acutally, I can't do number 2 but it seems like it would be more fluid, *if possible*.

Thanks

Litt

Samus
Hi again guys.

It seems now I can MC from platforms. However, I was wondering what is the most efficient way to do it between the twos:
1: Control stick down to fall under the platform -> control stick return to neutral -> then control stick right/left + side B
2: Control stick down to fall under the platform -> quarter circle the control stick to the left and the right and then, + B

Acutally, I can't do number 2 but it seems like it would be more fluid, *if possible*.

Thanks
There is a very simple reason you cannot do 2. The game allows only what it allows and quarter circles enter into the downward zone of the control stick which registers bombs before missiles, try different ways in which is most optimal and comfortable for you. There are of course other ways to do this aside from the 2 you mention, but that info in which you seek is already on these boards in which for you to use as a resource. Read through them and put in the time/effort to master your character.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I do what you do in #1
Also, shield dropping allows you to do the missile input earlier, but is significantly harder to do... you know, just in case you like your tech arbitrarily more difficult with little payout.

DjiBy

Smash Rookie
Oh, you are right. MC could definitly be done after a sheild drop. My shield drop skills are getting better, I will try that later today. I will also follow Barbie advice and seek other ways of doing MC. Maybe there is a more efficient way because, right now, I am stuck to high platforms and FJ-FF-MC (not consistent though). Still far from SHFFMC!

Thanks

Litt

Samus
Oh, you are right. MC could definitly be done after a sheild drop. My shield drop skills are getting better, I will try that later today. I will also follow Barbie advice and seek other ways of doing MC. Maybe there is a more efficient way because, right now, I am stuck to high platforms and FJ-FF-MC (not consistent though). Still far from SHFFMC!

Thanks
The number of samuses that can consistently SHFFMC you can count on one hand, and my advice was not to look for other ways, but just to read the melee samus boards, all of the threads and post

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Indeed, I try to do my homework as much as possible :)
Your hw is your game that you present to the class when you arrive at tournments, your research is reading these boards. If you don't do the research for yourself and verify (put in the work and read everything instead of asking people for the answers to your homework), then your hw is going to turn out pretty ****ty.

Litt

Samus
Indeed, I try to do my homework as much as possible :)
Here is something for you to try to get a better feel for both shffmc's and better platform drop missiles in general, go to dreamland, double jump and do a homing missile to mc on the lower 2 plats, then fall through and immediately do another homing missile, practice it until you get it down, then try the mc techs you were attempting to do before and lemme know how it goes.

DjiBy

Smash Rookie
Here is something for you to try to get a better feel for both shffmc's and better platform drop missiles in general, go to dreamland, double jump and do a homing missile to mc on the lower 2 plats, then fall through and immediately do another homing missile, practice it until you get it down, then try the mc techs you were attempting to do before and lemme know how it goes.
Hey there, you brought an interesting piece of information. It seems like it's faster to MC on platz using double jump than regular FJ. I definitly need to practice this. Regarding the MC dropping off platforms, it goes well. I can do smash MC dropping from yoshis platforms currently. From online games, I think my weakness right now is more sweetspotting the ledge. I'll spend more time on this in the next days. Thanks for the tip!

Litt

Samus
Hey there, you brought an interesting piece of information. It seems like it's faster to MC on platz using double jump than regular FJ. I definitly need to practice this. Regarding the MC dropping off platforms, it goes well. I can do smash MC dropping from yoshis platforms currently. From online games, I think my weakness right now is more sweetspotting the ledge. I'll spend more time on this in the next days. Thanks for the tip!
Again, you are stating not just the merely obvious but the very obvious, read the posts on the samus boards and stop posting before you do unless you have questions not covered within a post already created :/

Litt

Samus
Barbie sucks, don't listen to him it'll just make you worse
We both know I have pooped on you enough to know I don't suck. Why you starting with me minty. You come in here like a raging moron bragging about one of the most precise and difficult sequences of inputs for samus and that its god like... cmon bro anyone with half a brain and have played this game knows invincibility is good, and more of it is even better :/ Also you have asked me for advice before, and you dont suck and it clearly didnt make you worse, so stop being a schuck.

Litt

Samus
Barbie sucks, don't listen to him it'll just make you worse
  • John
    can you give me advice on doing frame perfect up air interrupt from ledge

If I try to do an attack it usually isn't invincible so I just shield out of it instrad

• 9/3, 5:40pm

Ken
    Course I could but I know you beat duck and all and are soooo good that any advice I could give would just be a waste of your time

• 9/3, 5:40pm

John
    Yeah I did

• 9/3, 5:42pm

Ken
    Sorry but when I was giving advice willingly as a bud you told me to **** off and that you don't need it

But when you ask for help its cool then?

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
The number of samuses that can consistently SHFFMC you can count on one hand, and my advice was not to look for other ways, but just to read the melee samus boards, all of the threads and post
This is funny because I'm one of them. Also I think that statistic is **** because I am one of them. Mervis. Me, can SHFFMC consistently. If I can do it then I would assume the pool of Sami that can do it is a bit bigger than you think.

Litt

Samus
This is funny because I'm one of them. Also I think that statistic is **** because I am one of them. Mervis. Me, can SHFFMC consistently. If I can do it then I would assume the pool of Sami that can do it is a bit bigger than you think.
Ive seen your sets, you get ****ed on way too fast to ever to anything consistently aside from dash attack. Refer to Mervis vs Darkrain

Litt Litt If I friend you on facebook will you give me advice as a bud
sure bud

Money match me nerd
Kk, how much and when? *I can go ganon rite?* lmao

Last edited:

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Ive seen your sets, you get ****ed on way too fast to ever to anything consistently aside from dash attack. Refer to Mervis vs Darkrain
Dude sick burn!

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Dude sick burn!
Not a burn dude, we aren't buds and you always antagonize me. Don't compare yourself to the samus greats and then devalue a claim I made about the number that can consistently shffmc. If you can in training mode cool bruh, but I saw you got **** on by a well known good player and the best you could muster was constantly dash attacking his shield. So when you make comments like " If I can do it then I would assume the pool of Sami that can do it is a bit bigger than you think." I am going to humble you by my subsequent comment 10/10 times.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Not a burn dude, we aren't buds and you always antagonize me. Don't compare yourself to the samus greats and then devalue a claim I made about the number that can consistently shffmc. If you can in training mode cool bruh, but I saw you got **** on by a well known good player and the best you could muster was constantly dash attacking his shield. So when you make comments like " If I can do it then I would assume the pool of Sami that can do it is a bit bigger than you think." I am going to humble you by my subsequent comment 10/10 times.
You are just tough on me because you see my potential! I value our friendship.

Litt

Samus
You are just tough on me because you see my potential! I value our friendship.
We don't have a friendship and if you never commented on a post of my own again, i would be very happy as a result.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
We don't have a friendship and if you never commented on a post of my own again, i would be very happy as a result.
Jeez Barbs, why you gatta be so harsh? We go way back, remember?

Litt

Samus
Jeez Barbs, why you gatta be so harsh? We go way back, remember?
No we don't, seriously dude idk why you continue to talk to a person that has expressed that they dont want anything to do with you. It is harsh but you have acted like an annoying little brother since you joined, and i dont have a little brother nor do i want one :p. If you act like a peer i will treat you like one, until you do I shall remain the same. Cheers.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
No we don't, seriously dude idk why you continue to talk to a person that has expressed that they dont want anything to do with you. It is harsh but you have acted like an annoying little brother since you joined, and i dont have a little brother nor do i want one :p. If you act like a peer i will treat you like one, until you do I shall remain the same. Cheers.
So I'm like a little brother to you eh? I'm honestly flattered!

Litt

Samus
So you are telling me that I'm reading into things too much?
I am saying if I found a genie lamp and I only got three wishes, I would wish three times for mervis to never be able to respond to a post of mine own again or contact me in anyway shape or form.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
I am saying if I found a genie lamp and I only got three wishes, I would wish three times for mervis to never be able to respond to a post of mine own again or contact me in anyway shape or form.
That's a pretty odd thing to say to a friend..

Litt

Samus
That's a pretty odd thing to say to a friend..
We are not friends, and I wish you would stop thinking we are in any way shape or form. Maybe then you will stop responding to me

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
"wish you would stop thinking we are"

Sorry bud you used your three wishes earlier in the thread!

Litt

Samus
"wish you would stop thinking we are"

Sorry bud you used your three wishes earlier in the thread!
you never being able to response include unfriending irl and on facebook if applicable, therefore it was justified and contained with the first 3 identical wishes

Top Bottom