• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

can't l-cancel some aerials?

choof

Smash Rookie
I just started playing pm seriously, can shffl quite often but I've noticed that can't l-cancel fair
is this just a "get gud" scenario

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
If I may, did you possibly play melee before coming to pm?

The reason I ask is that while l cancelling is a 7 frame window before landing in both games (from memory) landing detection works differently in each.

In melee, characters land when their foot bone hits the ground. In brawl and by extension pm, it is the knee bone that must hit the ground. This means that characters land a frame or two later than in melee, which shifts the window for l cancelling to being slightly later.

Fair is definitely l-cancellable. You may be having difficulty because Marth's body contorts in odd shapes during fair (legs go towards body, then come down again) which can affect when landing detection takes place.

All I can say is keep practicing and you'll getc there. Maybe go through debug mode frame advance to see Marth's body position in the 7 frames before landing to give you a visual queue but other than that, practice makes perfect.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The landing detection in Melee/PM is more or less the same. That was changed in like 2012 from how Brawl handles it.

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
Was it? I thought that was the reason you didn't need to be as high above the ledge when doing the drop down wavedash from ledge compared to melee.

Well I'll take your word for it, you'd know much better than I.

(Tangent: congrats on the position at wavedash games)

Top Bottom