• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Find Myself Enjoying the Game Anymore

NarukamiSSB

Smash Rookie
It feels like everytime I put the game on, I always regret it. I am a very competitive person, but it hinders my ability to enjoy a multiplayer game. It's no different in this game. I see myself asking this a lot. I don't know how to get better so I win, and I don't have anyone to train with locally. I need advice for my situation.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Using For Glory?

Do Smashladder.com instead.

-less lag (you can check regions)
-ability (almost a requirement) to textually converse with opponents. If you want to be minimalist in your text, you can be if you want to be.
-nicer people
-possibility for lasting connections (you must add people to face them, so...)
-variety in stage selection with a nice stage striking interface
-can do friendlies or ranked. Ranked scores are put into a ladder.
-possibility for greater opponents, or lesser. Whatever suits you, since you can check ranks. Smashladder is used by many well known smashers, so a good rank on there is fairly credible.

I hope you start finding Smash 4 fun again. Honestly, I wonder why this site is not advertised on the front page of Smashboards. It makes online Smash bros so much better.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Usually, high level smash communities gravitate towards large, metropolitan areas so, if you're far from those, then you probably won't have a lot of luck finding a large community of really skilled players unless you're fine with playing online in which case erico9001 has the right idea because FG is not fun or competitive. Finding some friends that play smash competitively rather than a large community is tougher since individuals don't tend to advertise themselves like communities do so finding them is harder. Is there a thread on these boards for searching for local players to connect with? It'd be a great idea now that I think about it and would help folks with poor internet (or poor patience for other people's internet).

As for getting better while not practicing against players, that's what I use youtube for. Watch top players at tournaments, see what they do, practice against cpu's/training mode. Usually, getting better isn't about learning combos or understanding frame data though, it's about mindset. If you change your mindset to better read your opponent or to better react to an opponent's action, then you'll get better but until then, I feel like progress can't happen since the mental game of smash is the most important. In order to do that, you'll have to find folks to play with and that's what smashladder is for. Whether you like playing online or not, it's still a decent place to understand the patterns of others. While you may not be able to react like you could offline, simply knowing those patterns is important.

P.S. @ NarukamiSSB NarukamiSSB
Love your avatar. TT is my favorite show of all time and Raven is my favorite character of all time.

NarukamiSSB

Smash Rookie
Usually, high level smash communities gravitate towards large, metropolitan areas so, if you're far from those, then you probably won't have a lot of luck finding a large community of really skilled players unless you're fine with playing online in which case erico9001 has the right idea because FG is not fun or competitive. Finding some friends that play smash competitively rather than a large community is tougher since individuals don't tend to advertise themselves like communities do so finding them is harder. Is there a thread on these boards for searching for local players to connect with? It'd be a great idea now that I think about it and would help folks with poor internet (or poor patience for other people's internet).

As for getting better while not practicing against players, that's what I use youtube for. Watch top players at tournaments, see what they do, practice against cpu's/training mode. Usually, getting better isn't about learning combos or understanding frame data though, it's about mindset. If you change your mindset to better read your opponent or to better react to an opponent's action, then you'll get better but until then, I feel like progress can't happen since the mental game of smash is the most important. In order to do that, you'll have to find folks to play with and that's what smashladder is for. Whether you like playing online or not, it's still a decent place to understand the patterns of others. While you may not be able to react like you could offline, simply knowing those patterns is important.

P.S. @ NarukamiSSB NarukamiSSB
Love your avatar. TT is my favorite show of all time and Raven is my favorite character of all time.
First person to recognize the avatar. Thanks
I'm starting to enjoy the game more now. Thank you for the advice.

Khao

Smash Lord
If you're not enjoying a game, the best thing you can do is to stop playing.

I mean it. There's no reason to force yourself into something you don't actually enjoy doing. Unless it's actually work or something, you're better off just leaving it behind.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Well, you're doing something right by pointing out WHY you are unhappy - which is wanting to get better at the game. At that point you have two options: Quit playing or try to get better. Others have commented on how you can get better, so personally, I would recommend starting with those. You bought the game for a reason; meaning you have great taste in video games... so hopefully you'll work this thing out. Trying to get out to the tournaments would be your best bet though - see if your local scene has a Facebook page (like GA Smash 4 for me for instance) and check Smashboards for local tournaments. Good luck!

heliface

Smash Cadet
I'm sort of in the same boat. I also pinned all my hopes on this game on its online element, which unfortunately is clearly lacking. The netcode is bad, there's no way to region lock, and in general there is input lag. Because of this most people in For Glory spam rolls and projectiles, and many people do this to run down the clock and force a sudden death. It's frustrating and just plain not fun.

As well, it cheapens victories because you have to wonder - did I win, or did the lag make them lose?

Top Bottom