• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canon personality vs. percieved personality

D

Deleted member

:ultmarth:(Canon): Predictable! Keep your eyes open!
:ultmarth:(Fanon) Dubbed Anime Meta Knight

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
And he absolutely meant to kill Samus first (mostly just because he saw her first), her mother instead sacrificed herself to protect her daughter, giving the latter time to escape while her dad tried to blow up the colony with the Pirates on it. At no point does Ridley randomly decide not to kill Samus just to leave her traumatized.
The kicker here is that he actually hesitated (and the frown notes that he's not entirely without conscience). Had he not done so he might have actually succeeded.

I'm sure he's kicking himself every time Samus murders him.

D

Deleted member

The kicker here is that he actually hesitated (and the frown notes that he's not entirely without conscience). Had he not done so he might have actually succeeded.

I'm sure he's kicking himself every time Samus murders him.
Samus must really suck at killing Ridley.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Smash Corrin: Stoic man/woman of few words, such as "Good" and "I win".

Official Corrin: Very chatty. Asks questions about everything because they were sheltered their whole life.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Smash Corrin: Stoic man/woman of few words, such as "Good" and "I win".

Official Corrin: Very chatty. Asks questions about everything because they were sheltered their whole life.
Corrin could've been handled so amazingly well in Fates, my gosh. The potential to ask so many insensitive questions due to a severe lack of social activity would make the character truly unaware of what offends or insults people and potentially make plenty of enemies which easily could've been prevented by anyone who knew better. Like how Ike originally referred to the Laguz as sub-humans because he did not know them by any other term. It made for a great character development moment when he learned that "sub-human" was a derogatory remark to them.

At that point, Corrin having to put in the effort to make allies would've made Fates' story infinitely better. Usually what happens is he/she walks up and says , "I'm Corrin, the good guy" and that pretty much worked. Well, there's plenty wrong with Fates' story beyond Corrin's part in it... but that's neither here Nohr there.

Canon Cloud: An individual whom experiences boatloads of self-doubt and identity confusion only to find out the truth about himself, fall into a depression over his past mistakes, comes to terms with his past because it could not be changed no matter what he did, and that it wasn't really his fault so he managed to get over it because all of his friends showed him how much he meant to them.

Fanon Cloud: Eternally depressed emo that isn't interested in literally anything other than the Buster Sword, his motorcycle, or Aerith.

qerl08

Smash Rookie
Corrin could've been handled so amazingly well in Fates, my gosh. The potential to ask so many insensitive questions due to a severe lack of social activity would make the character truly unaware of what offends or insults people and potentially make plenty of enemies which easily could've been prevented by anyone who knew better. Like how Ike originally referred to the Laguz as sub-humans because he did not know them by any other term. It made for a great character development moment when he learned that "sub-human" was a derogatory remark to them.

At that point, Corrin having to put in the effort to make allies would've made Fates' story infinitely better. Usually what happens is he/she walks up and says , "I'm Corrin, the good guy" and that pretty much worked. Well, there's plenty wrong with Fates' story beyond Corrin's part in it... but that's neither here Nohr there.

I actually think fate portrayed corrin's personality quite well. their sheltered life didn't make them socially oblivous (after all they did have some interaction with people) it just made them, well, innocent; thoughout the story corrin almost always gives the enemy a chance to join them, even after their defeated. It is because of their inexposure to the harshness of the world that they can't even concieve killing someone, that is, until the end.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Corrin in Fates is a person who REALLY believes in their ideals. It's arguably the point of the character.

Birthright shoves those ideals to the side to get the job done.

Conquest shows the issues sticking to their ideals and that you might suffer for sticking to them.

Revelation shows that sometimes just living by your ideals can work and pay off big time.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
"Thought Ridley was stupid"

Boxing Ring titled clearly labeled as "Cunning God of Death."

There's a discrepancy somewhere in your testimony, and I'm certain it's not with the party you attribute it to.
"Cunning God of Death" was from the official Metroid: Zero Mission Web site. This is not Sakurai's idea, nor words.

You said it yourself, she doesn't tolerate any kind of doubters, no matter how small. This was also written by the devs. They're not mindless, but Dark Samus sure as hell expects complete and unquestioned obedience from her followers, under penalty of death if they don't meet this criteria, which amounts to pretty much the same thing.
No it doesn't. You're assuming Dark Samus wanted good things written about her. Or at least that Dark Samus was aware of information written about her.

I believe you are looking for this article https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...es-and-additions-choosing-taunts-much-more/2/

please note that he does not specifically call ridley "stupid" from the article it sounds like he is aknowledging the canonically intelligent but he doesn't LOOK intelligent, remarking that he wonders why the pirates would think he is intelligent and therefore follow him.

or at least that's my interpretation of it,

P.S. it also talks about how ridley's taunt shows his true size, so he wasn't resized he is just crouching
One's impression of someone paints their perception. I still stand by what I said because of this. Also, thank you for finding that.

Is that why she murdered Rundas in cold blood?

I promise that pun wasn’t intentional.
Failure seems not to be an option in her mind.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Bowser is really more of a big bad bully in the Mario games instead of some primal dungeon beast from the pits of Hell.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Fanon Wolf: Brooding bad boy archetype. May even be protrayed with a softer side and may be seen in portrayals of a certain section of the cast performing a prank or something. When with Fox, he's either merely a tryhard but harmless nuisance or they're begrudging friends/acquaintances.

Canon Wolf: ...well, he may not be "brooding" but everything else isn't exactly out of character. He got coaxed into joining a tyrant and fighting on his side after having rebelled against Corneria through commiting acts of lechery and treason and while he teases a man about his dead father who he apparently has a mysterious past with, he's not above putting aside their differences to work together, albeit it's almost always because of his own gain in the end. His portrayal in Smash isn't too far off beyond some elementary and childish humor.

Canon Bowser Jr.: While he's a bratty nuisance, he's actually protrayed as pretty headstrong and quite capable with a precocious proficiency with machines/technology, magic, and leadership despite his rather naive and innocent side. He takes after his father in his brutish nature and belligerence and willingly aids him despite knowing about ethics and morals, although he considers his alignment gray and sees "good" and "evil" as simplistic terms that have far outrun their course and has aspirations of being a hero. He's also able to work with Mario and put aside those harsh feelings and can acknowledge when he was wrong and knows he's no perfect, but that unfortunately has culminated in him doubting himself beneath the "tough" demeanour and how he wants to be seen and recognized as capable and revered as great and secretly hates being alone as he feels like a latchkey kid due to how busy his father is.

Fanon BJ: Mischievous brat but otherwise harmless and is treated as a pure and innocent boy when not being mischievous.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Canon:ultrosalina:: Kind, gentle, motherly, wise
Smash:ultrosalina:: Kind, motherly, fierce, overprotective
-
Canon:ultridley:: Cunning, sadistic, brutal
Smash:ultridley:: Insecure, nervous, shy
-
Based on my headcanon of both being the adoptive parents of:ultlucas:and reflected opposites. Despite Rosalina's kind and gentle nature, anyone who threatens their son faces her vengeful wrath akin to Asura especially if they make Lucas cry whereas Ridley despite his scary and violent appearance is insecure of himself especially being a father trying his hardest to be so with Lucas and the Lumas and has a habit of apologizing to those afterwards about his wifes wrath and too afraid to comfort her about it.

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
Inklings are a species and not an individual, so they don't really have a "canon" personality, it's all just speculation. Though many people have pointed out the discrepancy of Inklings being sore losers in their own games, but happily clapping for the winner in Smash. I have noticed that some people portray the Inklings as pranksters/vandals, though I personally feel like this is an exaggeration of their competitive spirit.
I do have a few headcanons of my own for them:
:ultinkling: and :ultinklingboy: are best friends, with a bit of a rivalry between them. They are both easily excitable, but :ultinklingboy: is a bit timid compared to :ultinkling:. Both are inspired by :ultmario: and :ultluigi:'s tales of heroism.
Agent 3 (the yellow Inkling) can be rude at times, but she mellows out slightly after befriending :ultinkling: and :ultinklingboy:.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Zelda in here yet. She is super bubbly and so energetic in Smash and has no personality in BW. Mainly because she was stuck in a painting all of the game.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Zelda in here yet. She is super bubbly and so energetic in Smash and has no personality in BW. Mainly because she was stuck in a painting all of the game.
Which leaves plenty of leeway for a personality.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
:ulthero: I'm still in the middle of the game, but in Smash, Hero looks so angry like he's always got a score to settle. But in DQ11 he's usually smiling and through all his trials and tribulations, always does what's right for the world and his friends...but in Smash he just wants to cut a mother :089:er.

Last edited:

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
I always thought/hoped that Marth and Roy were best friends that train together and fought villains together, it made sense because they shared similar movesets.
And then it turns out in canon, they never actually meet even though they're an iconic duo and it's weird that you can have one without the other.
I had no idea what Fire Emblem was back when I first played Smash Bros.
I have no idea what kind of personality I projected onto them, probably Anime hero archtypes.
Marth being the dark badass and Roy being the hungry hyper kid.

I wonder what I thought of Captain Falcon before I found out he was mostly a race car driver?
I always joked that he was a power rangers type guy because of his exaggerated poses and voice clips.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
:ultpeach:, i mean she basically taunts and likes to rub it in your face that shes able to defeat you, her victory screens and taunts really shows that,
but in the mario games she always is that helpless princess who can't do anything but get kidnapped :l if her smash personality was her personality in the games then Bowser won't be going after her anymore i can tell you that!

but in the Mario strikers charged football she had a similar personality to her smash personality and i honestly like this personality waaay more if i am being honest!

:ultbowser: is also differently..in smash he still has a bit of that intimidating/evil vibe from him but in media and games i mostly just find him funny instead of evil lol

:ultmewtwo: is also complete the opposite in the game then his movies.. (yeah i use the movie as example since that's where you can see his personality) smash still portrays him kinda as a villain while he never really was a villain in the first place...

:ultinkling:/:ultinklingboy: the only difference i see with them is they clapping happily after losing..Inklings in their games always get dramatic when they lose..not as bad as the octolings but you get what i mean lol so i actually hoped for them to be a bit like Mewtwo's version..refusing to clap or just be annoyed that they lost

Top Bottom