• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canon personality vs. percieved personality

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Oooh boy this again.

1) She was one of the first people taken out. She hadn't yet realized that she was outmatched. It wasn't a matter of her being "dumb".
2) Are you saying Samus's first instinct is to run away instead of at least try to hold her ground? Trying to fight it seems more in character to me.
3) Can her ship move at light speed? Would she have even reached her ship in time?

I get it, we're all salty that our favorite Nintendo characters were taking out. I'm a bit salty over some characters myself. But that scene was written to leave only the most beginner friendly character left, so it was written in a way where other characters couldn't react or didn't have time to escape. Kirby knowing to hop on a warp star admittedly may have been a writer's cheat but I wouldn't say Link, Samus or Bayonetta were being out of character or acting like idiots.
I mean to be fair those "rays of light" were not light speed since the smash characters obviously saw them.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I also corrected yours.
Is that supposed to be a joke? You just made a generic statement and in no way played on anything at all besides repeating what I did. Try again.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I corrected your post.
Sakurai bias might have helped, but I really don't think its a coincidence that Kirby also happens to designed for begginers with his extra jumps and more moveset. People tend to point towards Mario, but while's more well-rounded he doesn't have multi jumps or crutch moves like stone for newbies to fall on.
I mean to be fair those "rays of light" were not light speed since the smash characters obviously saw them.
Until they swallowed the galaxy in less then a minute.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I'll agree that the timing for destroying a galaxy means they were speed of light at that point but it just doesn't make much sense to me.

1FC0

Smash Lord
The salt meter is high in this one.
I will admit it does seem a bit weird to attack me out of nothing for appearantly no reason. I think you might be right on osby being salty. I wonder what about me pissed him off.

Sakurai bias might have helped, but I really don't think its a coincidence that Kirby also happens to designed for begginers with his extra jumps and more moveset. People tend to point towards Mario, but while's more well-rounded he doesn't have multi jumps or crutch moves like stone for newbies to fall on.
Until they swallowed the galaxy in less then a minute.
I do think it is fitting that he would be the beginner character since his games tend to be very easy as well. Still in SSE Kirby was also one of the characters that ended up surviving the ultimate attack of the main villain, and that was way into the story.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'll agree that the timing for destroying a galaxy means they were speed of light at that point but it just doesn't make much sense to me.
I mean... a seraphim trying to enslave video game characters using an army of gloves also doesn't make sense.

I have no idea why people took the scientific explanation behind that scene so seriously.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I mean... a seraphim trying to enslave video game characters using an army of gloves also doesn't make sense.

I have no idea why people took the scientific explanation behind that scene so seriously.
I just pointed it out because Zach had asked if Samus's ship travels at the speed of light, Technically theres too many discrepancies to really decide if she needed to travel at the speed of light of if she needed the power of storytelling to keep her alive.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just pointed it out because Zach had asked if Samus's ship travels at the speed of light, Technically theres too many discrepancies to really decide if she needed to travel at the speed of light of if she needed the power of storytelling to keep her alive.
Why does it matter how fast her ship goes? We all know how that worked out for Captain Falcon.

...f

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I corrected your post.
Did you really, though? Beginner-friendliness is the core of Sakurai's M.O., and Kirby is literally designed to be as beginner-friendly as possible.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'd like to add, and im not sure if its already been said. in the world of light trailer Samus just stupidly stood there shooting at the light rays when she easily could of gotten in her goddamn ship that can travel at HUGE speeds. samus is wAAAAaay smarter than that.
At the time, I only saw the galaxy being consumed. In the game, it says Galeem's light spread across the Universe. Samus wouldn't have any option.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I will admit it does seem a bit weird to attack me out of nothing for appearantly no reason. I think you might be right on osby being salty. I wonder what about me pissed him off.

I do think it is fitting that he would be the beginner character since his games tend to be very easy as well. Still in SSE Kirby was also one of the characters that ended up surviving the ultimate attack of the main villain, and that was way into the story.
Actually the ad hominem was coming from you and osby just piggybacked to put you in your place.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Captain Falcon
- We don't really get much of a glimpse into his personality in the anime or games, we just know he's heroic. In Smash Bros he is made quite hammy.

Ridley
- Evil. Why would he be helping the cast? My head canon is that the specific Ridley that helps out in World Of Light is a good one. How? He's been cloned several times, this could be a good one.

Snake
- When I first saw Snake back in Brawl I never played the games, at the time I assumed all M-Rated games were edgy, but after gone through them all years ago I learned Snake and Metal Gear itself has so much depth. He is a serious guy, but Metal Gear has some self aware comedic moments, so it makes sense to alude to that. I have always treated the Snake in Smash as his own entity anyways. Smash Snake.

Roy
- I'm not sure where that Martial Arts pose comes from or how he can hit so hard in Smash compared to FE6, but I'm not complaining.

Ice Climbers
- They never really had much of a personality. I'm glad Smash game them so much expression.

Little Mac
- In Punch-Out Wii he is less serious, at least in regards to his facial expressions.

Megaman
- Megaman can talk... I guess they really wanted to pay tribute to the sprite of Megaman lol.

Speaking of talking too bad Wario doesn't do much of it, or DK or Bowser. Would be hilarious. Mamma mia

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's almost like Kirby is an important Nintendo character.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Actually the ad hominem was coming from you and osby just piggybacked to put you in your place.
All he did is made me the center of attention by starting this. So I guess the center of attention is my place then.

And ad hominem means that you argue by attacking the arguer instead of his arguments. I was not arguing, I was joking, and I was not attacking anybody. So I failed both criteria for someone who is using an ad hominem. Note that Sakurai is completely in his right to favour any character he wants, so saying he favours Kirby is not an attack in my book.

Did you really, though? Beginner-friendliness is the core of Sakurai's M.O., and Kirby is literally designed to be as beginner-friendly as possible.

It's almost like Kirby is an important Nintendo character.
Not just almost, Kirby is an important character.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Captain Falcon
- We don't really get much of a glimpse into his personality in the anime or games, we just know he's heroic. In Smash Bros he is made quite hammy.

Ridley
- Evil. Why would he be helping the cast? My head canon is that the specific Ridley that helps out in World Of Light is a good one. How? He's been cloned several times, this could be a good one.

Snake
- When I first saw Snake back in Brawl I never played the games, at the time I assumed all M-Rated games were edgy, but after gone through them all years ago I learned Snake and Metal Gear itself has so much depth. He is a serious guy, but Metal Gear has some self aware comedic moments, so it makes sense to alude to that. I have always treated the Snake in Smash as his own entity anyways. Smash Snake.

Roy
- I'm not sure where that Martial Arts pose comes from or how he can hit so hard in Smash compared to FE6, but I'm not complaining.

Ice Climbers
- They never really had much of a personality. I'm glad Smash game them so much expression.

Little Mac
- In Punch-Out Wii he is less serious, at least in regards to his facial expressions.

Megaman
- Megaman can talk... I guess they really wanted to pay tribute to the sprite of Megaman lol.

Speaking of talking too bad Wario doesn't do much of it, or DK or Bowser. Would be hilarious. Mamma mia
I imagine the scale of the threat would be enough for Ridley to help.

Also, you can be heroic and hammy which I think one of his F-Zero endings pretty much goes along with that.

As for WoL, they at least make it up to Mario by making him the focus of most of the other cutscenes.

qerl08

Smash Rookie
Hey guy's, I just want to pop in and ask everyone to stay on topic. if one want to debate something unrelated to the topic could you please take it somewhere else?
also please be nice and assume good faith; hurting people verbaly only escalates the situation.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
:ultridley:
Canon: Cruel, cunning, intelligent, leader.
Perceived: Brutish, witless.

:ultdarksamus:
Canon: Determined, methodical, wise, ruler, usurper.
Perceived: Just a Samus clone.
Dark Samus's intelligence is... kind of a mixed bag. On one hand, yes she is a military genius capable of planning a hundred steps ahead and knows how to make people do what she wants in addition to somehow figuring out how to best use all the technology and even biology at her disposal... but at the same time, her tactical prowess is critically undermined by her obsession with Phazon and corrupting others with it. Despite having it used against her several times by her archenemy, it never occurs to her to just kill Samus, preferably with means other than the one thing that can hurt her. She's smart, but isn't wise if you get what I mean. There's a reason she shows up in Zelda's Classic run, where the theme is facing off against "dumb" opponents.

Khao

Smash Lord
I know that fanon says Villager is a murderous psycopath, but I have so much more fun picturing him like someone who doesn't even realize he's on a fight and just keeps hurting his new "friends" on accident.

"Hello, sir, I planted this tree in honor to your visi-oh no"

"This party needs some extra fireworks!... Wait, you're not supposed to run into them!"

"You've been such a good friend to me. As the mayor of this town, I'd like to thank you by giving you your own house! Consider this a gift! I know you're probably eager to move in, which is why construction will begin immediately. We're gonna be the best of neighbo-WHO PLANTED A BOMB IN THIS HOUSE WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING EVERYONE I BEFRIEND IS DEAD!"

R O F L

Smash Ace
Olimar in smash makes him look like a quiet nobody without a personality, which might be the reason why nobody plays him? When in his games he has one of the best built personalities of any video game character I've ever seen.

I'd like to add, and im not sure if its already been said. in the world of light trailer Samus just stupidly stood there shooting at the light rays when she easily could of gotten in her goddamn ship that can travel at HUGE speeds. samus is wAAAAaay smarter than that.
Falcon tried that, and it didn't go too well.

JimJackYEYE

Smash Rookie
Olimar in smash makes him look like a quiet nobody without a personality, which might be the reason why nobody plays him? When in his games he has one of the best built personalities of any video game character I've ever seen.

Falcon tried that, and it didn't go too well.
yea and falcons ship also doesnt travel at 72 times light speed

JimJackYEYE

Smash Rookie
At the time, I only saw the galaxy being consumed. In the game, it says Galeem's light spread across the Universe. Samus wouldn't have any option.
haha maybe if she had a countdown she could've gotten away in her ship like the good old days

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I don't like how Sakurai resized Olimar for two games in a row before adding Ridley. It goes way against Olimar (and alph)'s character design to make them that much bigger when they're really like 3/4 inches tall or something. If they're that serious about resizing fighters then Pikmin shouldn't have any fighters.

Yeah, that's what I don't like about the Smash portrayal of Pikmin.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Actual Ike - Poor mercenary training under his father and friends gets thrust into being man hunted when they rescue a Princess during warfare. Has to grow up and shoulder the burden of his father's group after he gets his father killed. Has to accept his sister joining the war in addition and constantly struggles dealing with the political aspect of war. Literally becomes a huge hero but turns it all down to return to his simple life. And after Radiant Dawn, he either runs off with Soren or Ranulf into the uncharted world turning down his fame once again.

Smash Ike - He's a gluttonous meat head that fights for his friends and will bang Marth when he gets the chance.

The only thing Smash gets accurate is he likes to eat (not on Kirby's level though) and may be gay.

I don't like how Sakurai resized Olimar for two games in a row before adding Ridley. It goes way against Olimar (and alph)'s character design to make them that much bigger when they're really like 3/4 inches tall or something. If they're that serious about resizing fighters then Pikmin shouldn't have any fighters.

Yeah, that's what I don't like about the Smash portrayal of Pikmin.
Very flawed logic on this approach.

Pikmin had nothing in the game. Olimar's addition sized him to the cast making his world sized up in comparison. Ike could step on Bulborb, Olimar, and Alph with one foot and squash them into paste, But Olimar's world was resized to allow Olimar to be on the cast and in doing so Bulborb now can eat Ike. The entire franchise is now fitted into the Smash world as Olimar is short but around the same height as the other fighters which makes large enemies like Bulborb or Man At Legs be large and threatening. If we got Titan Dweevil as a newcomer right now... that'd be on par with Ridley.

Ridley already had Samus on the cast to represent how the sizing of her world to the cast's worked. The Ridley we have now is small and really doesn't make me think of the gigantic threat in the Metroid series but some squashed one. I'm personally fine with him on the roster (though feel he didn't add much compared to the other unique newcomers) but don't think your logic here works.

Last edited:

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
:ultlucas:: Everyone acts like he is some innocent little crybaby, when really he is probably the most jaded ************ to be in smash. He watches his family crumble in front of him, fights horrific abominations of nature created by Porky, and SPOLIERS: watches his brother strike down his father, come to his senses, and then kill himself. His father dies in his arms and :ultlucas: ends the world.

He ain't just some silly kid.

:ultike:: everyone acts like Ike is some goofy dude, or a guts clone, when he is tactically sound, studious, and the most badass ************ in Fire Emblem. Dude isn't the "chosen one" or anything, but he picks up someone else's holy sword and uses it to **** anyone that wants to hurt his good bois.

:ultvillager:: isn't a child. He has paid off his mortgage. Is most likely a furry however.

:ulttoonlink: is most likely the most handy and world weary of the three links. He spent a lot of time on the open ****ing sea and can operate a ****ing train. Compare that to a knight who was asleep for 200 years and a fairy boy who wears a skirt and had the starring role in the 1998 video game adaptation of Penny Marshal's "Big".

:ultroy:: looks strong as **** in smash, but in his own game he is an absolute jobber who you have to constantly babysit, and you can't take him out of your squad. Melee Roy was much closer to the source material

:ultwario:: might be a disgusting *******, but he is also the type of disgusting ******* who kills eldritch abominations so he can rife through their pockets for pocket change.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
:ultbowser: Bowser is too much like a monster in Smash, when in recent Mario games, he has received a bit more comic features. His taunts for example are just a bunch of weird noises.
When he becomes a giant on his Final Smash he is also like a huge monster that looks like a killing machine, while in the Mario Galaxy 2 game we had a giant Bowser at the final battle, that was nothing like this and had more rounded shapes...

I think his representation is a bit outdated.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
:ultlucas:: Everyone acts like he is some innocent little crybaby, when really he is probably the most jaded ************ to be in smash. He watches his family crumble in front of him, fights horrific abominations of nature created by Porky, and SPOLIERS: watches his brother strike down his father, come to his senses, and then kill himself. His father dies in his arms and :ultlucas: ends the world.

He ain't just some silly kid.
...Wait, Flint died in the end?!

:ultike:: everyone acts like Ike is some goofy dude, or a guts clone, when he is tactically sound, studious, and the most badass ************ in Fire Emblem. Dude isn't the "chosen one" or anything, but he picks up someone else's holy sword and uses it to **** anyone that wants to hurt his good bois.
Let's not forget that this includes Ashera, a goddess of order. Bayonetta would be proud. His being in the World of Dark can't be an accident — Galeem probably didn't want you anywhere near the dude.

:ultvillager:: isn't a child. He has paid off his mortgage. Is most likely a furry however.
Funny story; I actually developed something of a crush on Lucy the pig while playing Animal Crossing — poor girl didn't know what to make of my letters...

:ulttoonlink: is most likely the most handy and world weary of the three links. He spent a lot of time on the open ****ing sea and can operate a ****ing train. Compare that to a knight who was asleep for 200 years and a fairy boy who wears a skirt and had the starring role in the 1998 video game adaptation of Penny Marshal's "Big".
Oi! That's two different Toon Links.

:ultroy:: looks strong as **** in smash, but in his own game he is an absolute jobber who you have to constantly babysit, and you can't take him out of your squad. Melee Roy was much closer to the source material
Then he gets the Sword Of Seals and all hell breaks loose. In a good way. Good for you/Lycia, that is. Zephiel, not so much.
Seriously, though, whose idea was it to force this poor guy to spend 6/7ths of his game as a prepromote?!

:ultwario:: might be a disgusting *******, but he is also the type of disgusting ******* who kills eldritch abominations so he can rife through their pockets for pocket change.
*sigh* Thanks for reminding us all that Wario Land exists and has no foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
SPOILERS FOR MOTHER 3 FOR THE POOR SOULS SCROLLING

It's heavily implied, but ambiguous. I think he did and that's one of the reasons claus/masked man an hero'd at the end.

SPOILERS OVER, MOVE ALONG CITIZEN.

Characters in smash that have multiple forms are kinda an amalgam of those. See :ultzelda::ultmegaman::ultsnake:. Even if you are right, those two different toon links are way more manly then the others.

*sigh* Thanks for reminding us all that Wario Land exists and has no foreseeable future.
It still hurts.

Arthur97

Smash Master

Let's not forget that this includes Ashera, a goddess of order. Bayonetta would be proud. His being in the World of Dark can't be an accident — Galeem probably didn't want you anywhere near the dude.

Funny story; I actually developed something of a crush on Lucy the pig while playing Animal Crossing — poor girl didn't know what to make of my letters...

Then he gets the Sword Of Seals and all hell breaks loose. In a good way. Good for you/Lycia, that is. Zephiel, not so much.
Seriously, though, whose idea was it to force this poor guy to spend 6/7ths of his game as a prepromote?!

People often forget Ike had the help of another deity, and just act like he did it all by himself. Also, it's not like "Chosen Ones" is much of a thing in FE (Lyn is about the only one I can think of). Often, they start their quests before ever being "chosen" by a weapon.

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
:ultbowser: Bowser is too much like a monster in Smash, when in recent Mario games, he has received a bit more comic features. His taunts for example are just a bunch of weird noises.
When he becomes a giant on his Final Smash he is also like a huge monster that looks like a killing machine, while in the Mario Galaxy 2 game we had a giant Bowser at the final battle, that was nothing like this and had more rounded shapes...

I think his representation is a bit outdated.
Bowser in the games is a actually rather likeable goofball. Single father of not only his own child but he adopted 7 orphans. A truly bad dude would not do that. Also consider this why are the Koopalings orphans? I mean what Bros do we know that run around killing Koopa Troopas like it going out of fashion.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
This is Bowser in recent games:

This is Bowser in Smash:

He even has a recognizable "voice" in the games that are totally ignored in Smash, and in his taunts they use some strange noises that appear to have no relation at all to any noise he does in any recent games (he looks like a dog in Smash):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwg9hwNYCaA

Two taunts are the strange noises and the other is he biting the air. I dont remember bowser even trying to bite anyone in any game. Maybe we could imagine him doing something like that in the old classic 2D titles, but for his 3d representations, it feels a bit wrong to me.

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
:ultbayonetta:: All sex appeal and all OP combos

I mean, on the surface it's true, but deep down Bayo is a character with emotions, who cares about those close to her, and is really just desperate to find out about her own past. I mean, yeah she is also OP appeal with sex combos, but in the games how good she is mainly depends on the player. Sm4sh is a pure platinum run with Bracelet of Time, and SmUsh is a first time playthrough where the player doesn't know any combos.

God, I love Bayonetta and I wish she had a better public image.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
As for Bowser, the FS isn't exactly fair since it also pays homage to Giga Bowser. The punch at least makes it more accurate.

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman

This is Bowser in Smash:

He even has a recognizable "voice" in the games that are totally ignored in Smash, and in his taunts they use some strange noises that appear to have no relation at all to any noise he does in any recent games (he looks like a dog in Smash):

Two taunts are the strange noises and the other is he biting the air. I dont remember bowser even trying to bite anyone in any game. Maybe we could imagine him doing something like that in the old classic 2D titles, but for his 3d representations, it feels a bit wrong to me.
Smash 6 should do an overhaul of some of the movesets. Characters like :ultbowser::ultdk::ultganondorf::ultmario::ultluigi::ultsamus::ultsonic: could really use an update.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Smash 6 should do an overhaul of some of the movesets. Characters like :ultbowser::ultdk::ultganondorf::ultmario::ultluigi::ultsamus::ultsonic: could really use an update.
That post you just made is probably better-suited for this thread: https://smashboards.com/threads/dis...xample-of-how-another-game-handles-it.466070/ Also, I vaguely recall Sakurai having gone on record saying that he won't make any substantial alterations to any characters because he doesn't want to alienate people who enjoy playing as them the way they are.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
All of you saying Snake was OoC hiding in the box in WoL are wrong.

He was taking care of his box, because if you take of your box, it will take care of you.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

At least he tried.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

This is Bowser in Smash:

He has a bite attack in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Even poisons you for some reason.

Top Bottom