• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canon personality vs. percieved personality

qerl08

Smash Rookie
Smash bros has a lot of characters and, as a result, most people find at least one character they haven't heard of before; as a result the smash community may give personalities to characters that are way different than their canon personalities. So what personality discrepancies have you seen?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Villager, canon: Easygoing dude who gets along with all his neighbors.
Villager, fanon: I WILL RIP YOUR HEART OUT OF YOUR CHEST AND **** IT Over-the-top psychopath.

Simon and Richter, canon: Brave and heroic vampire hunters.
Simon and Richter, fanon: ...I'll just quote TV Tropes on this one.

Simon is commonly depicted committing or planning to commit Van Helsing Hate Crimes against fellow fighters who are or at least resemble Gothic Horror creatures, such as mistaking Inkling (due to their Cute Little Fangs), Corrin (due to their draconic wings resembling that of a bat's), and Wii Fit Trainer (due to their pale white skin, not unlike a vampire) for vampires, having Bayonetta or Ashley burnt at the stake, or mistaking any of the Star Fox or Animal Crossing (excluding Villager, of course) characters, as well as some of the more "anthropomorphic" Pokémon (like Lucario and Incineroar), for werebeasts. A similarly common follow-up on this is Richter being the Only Sane Man to his ancestor, often portrayed as being infinitely more understanding (due to Richter's starring roles involving him teaming up with Maria Renard, his sorcery-using cousin, and Alucard, Dracula's dhampyr son).

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
i do kinda find awkward zombie's interpretation of Marth as a stuck up, self centered noble to be pretty funny

D

Deleted member

Shulk, actual: A traumatized man seeking revenge as his only way through life, only to realize there's more to life then that. A bit studious and tinkerish, and always wants to find out how things works. Deep ideas of what makes a god. Values his friendships and bonds over anything else, and will stop at nothing to protect the people he loves.

Shulk, fanon: I'M REALLY FEELING IT THIS IS THE MONADO'S POWER I'M REALLY FEELING IT I'M REALLY FEELING IT NOW IT'S SHULK TIME I'M REALLY FEELING IT

Last edited by a moderator:
NNID
Marsalis
Switch FC
SW-5740-6547-7308
I personally thought Marth in Japanse had some really intense quips, offering valuable insight into the loss of his opponent. Delivered with a cool demeanor and unimpressed attitude... unfortunately that wasn't the case. Still my hero!

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Shulk, actual: A traumatized man seeking revenge as his only way through life, only to realize there's more to life then that. A bit studious and tinkerish, and always wants to find out how things works. Deep ideas of what makes a god. Values his friendships and bonds over anything else, and will stop at nothing to protect the people he loves.

Shulk, fanon: I'M REALLY FEELING IT THIS IS THE MONADO'S POWER I'M REALLY FEELING IT I'M REALLY FEELING IT NOW IT'S SHULK TIME I'M REALLY FEELING IT
Man you beat me to it. I was typing it up too.

I've had someone tell me that Lucina is Marth.

I guess the other kind of incorrect interpretation is Snake is a serious/goofy character. In the WoL cutscene when the light is imprisoning everyone he decides to hide in his cardboard box which obviously proved to be useless. It really does not depict his canon personality lol.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Man you beat me to it. I was typing it up too.

I've had someone tell me that Lucina is Marth.

I guess the other kind of incorrect interpretation is Snake is a serious/goofy character. In the WoL cutscene when the light is imprisoning everyone he decides to hide in his cardboard box which obviously proved to be useless. It really does not depict his canon personality lol.
I mean Snake has his bouts of goofiness, look at some of the codecs in the series.

Last edited:

TeaEnfield

Smash Rookie
Wrong Snake, that's Big boss, a much better character, and someone with much more style.

EDIT: Oh man someone got here first rip

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I mean snake is goofy in the sense that he goes OOC. Personality wise they aren't actually that goofy.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
That's, uh, Naked Snake, not Solid Snake.

As for the box thing, maybe he wasn't in it and was using the box as a decoy.
Wrong Snake, that's Big boss, a much better character, and someone with much more style.

Of course I know that, but I'm just using it as examples. There are quite a few goofy stuff from Solid in 1, 2, and 4, but I used 3 due to personal bias for having some of my favorites.

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I always think of Ness and Lucas of having somewhat of a brotherly bond, and Ness is secretly nerdy.

Daisy seems like that one irl girl that tries too hard to be like Peach, who's really stuck up and undeservingly popular.

Marth looks like that one cool anime character that rarely speaks but everyone is in awe by.

Lemmy is like the Marx of Mario Bros.

Pokemon Trainer looks like he has no personality.

Wario is very annoying.

Captain Falcon is loud.

Link and Zelda look like theater kids.

washyrose670

Smash Apprentice
Peach canon: incapable of not getting kidnapped.
Peach fanon: capable of not getting kidnapped.

One day....

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Lucina is sassy and overly arrogant sounding.
Despite the inaccuracy to the characters, I do enjoy the sass, Lucina and Female Robin have. Mostly due to the fact they are fighting in scenarios that aren't very serious in the first place. It also doesn't hurt they are only like it in Smash Bros, as they are more like their canon personality in both FE Warriors and Heroes for instance.

Funnily enough, Yuri Lowenthal as Marth on the otherhand does a great job of potraying Marth similar to his canon in Smash Bros. at least in my opinion.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
DK: a lazy banana eating gorilla.

In Smash tho: I've always thought of him as the equivalent of Broly or Hulk, being one of the physically strongest of the cast who everyone fears getting to close because he'll grapple you, crush you and throw you around.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Villager is actually just the player. And usually is in a nice, heartwarming game of building the town they live in and helping animals & friends alike. In Smash however, Villager is now considered an axe-crazy psyhco maniac that gives you turnips for breakfast, gyroids for lunch, and trees for dinner. Good luck if you look at him funny because he'll give you nothing but net as he tosses you out the stage.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Canon Samus: Cold, calculating, highly-intelligent, and always absorbed in her own thoughts. Genuinely cares about her closest allies, though she doesn't admit it. Appears indestructible to all but a small handful who've actually seen her when she was vulnerable... The list of individuals who've seen her vulnerable tends to grow smaller over time. She's a loner and is willing to stay that way. REALLY hates Ridley.

Fanon Samus: Perpetually pissed off, short-fused, and willing to kill someone just for looking at her wrong. Enjoys making Little Mac feel even smaller. She's single and ready to mingle. REALLY hates Ridley.

Almost polar opposites, really.

Canon Mewtwo: Literally hates EVERYTHING for no discernible reason other than being a monster at heart. Wants to be left alone.

Fanon Mewtwo: A solitary, tormented soul that had to watch as the closest of its friends died one-by-one while it survived as the only living success of an evil human experimentation gone wrong amidst man's twisted goals of playing God Arceus while using the hard to come-by genetic sampling of an innocent, yet powerful, legendary creature. Willing to forgive the animosity of humans if it witnesses true selflessness and love in the hearts of humans.

To be fair, Fanon Mewtwo was based off of Pokemon Movie Mewtwo: a sympathetic villain.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
i do kinda find awkward zombie's interpretation of Marth as a stuck up, self centered noble to be pretty funny
I was going to bring this up, haha.

Awkward Zombie's version of Marth works because pretty much every character in Katie's comics are hilariously out of character versions of themselves played up for comedy. But man is it a little disheartening to see so many people think that's canon.

Canon Marth, meanwhile, is a prince who lost most of his family when he was only fourteen and was forced to flee to a different country, training there for two years before setting out to reclaim his kingdom. He learned true loss at an early age and is wise beyond his years, but serves as a beacon of hope for his allies. He's not the strongest man in his army, but he has the charisma to lead. And when he reclaims Altea, only to find out the body count and damage done was even worse than he feared, he put on a smile because he realized that, for his people, this was the most joyous day of their lives, and he needed to celebrate with them, not mourn. And a year later when war is brewing again, he loses quite a number of his old friends at the hands of an old ally who'd been corrupted by someone thought long dead. And Marth couldn't even save him, either. But through all of the loss he soldiered on and led the charge, simply because ours needed him to. And he'd later become a storied legendary hero by the era of his descendant, Chrom, and come to be known as the Hero-King, the Lodestar.

And to top it all off he's incredibly well-written, witty, and a huge dork. Marth's great. Yuri Lowenthal also captures who he really is perfectly.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Is this canon according to Smash or according to Pokemon?
Pretty much all Mewtwo pokedex entries either say it has a "savage heart" or lacks a "compassionate heart" because it was designed purely to fight.

Mewtwo's appearance in Smash is clearly inspired by the anime depiction though, being able to speak (at least in the Japanese version, although his laugh in the dub sounds pretty human) and using shadow balls as one of its primary forms of attack.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Dedede canon: Sassy big dude who lets nothing get in his way even if dat der Kurbeh tries to stop him (which he does).
Dedede smash: Bumbling old brute and fat ******* extraordinaire.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Despite the inaccuracy to the characters, I do enjoy the sass, Lucina and Female Robin have. Mostly due to the fact they are fighting in scenarios that aren't very serious in the first place. It also doesn't hurt they are only like it in Smash Bros, as they are more like their canon personality in both FE Warriors and Heroes for instance.

Funnily enough, Yuri Lowenthal as Marth on the otherhand does a great job of potraying Marth similar to his canon in Smash Bros. at least in my opinion.
Except almost nothing about Lucina matches herself in Smash right down to the lines.

And Female Robin is actually fairly on par with the sass. Look at her support with Lucina. They don't exactly get along.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
DK: a lazy banana eating gorilla.

In Smash tho: I've always thought of him as the equivalent of Broly or Hulk, being one of the physically strongest of the cast who everyone fears getting to close because he'll grapple you, crush you and throw you around.
Um, he's pretty much like that in his games too? He punched a small moon out of orbit and beats the hell out of anything in his way. The only difference is his tone of voice.

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
That's, uh, Naked Snake, not Solid Snake.

As for the box thing, maybe he wasn't in it and was using the box as a decoy.
Yeah Big Boss even though he goes through seriously more grim events seems to be more of a goofball than his son/clone. Shame Big Boss is not an echo fighter :C

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Kirby: Looks like a cinnamon roll, but would actually kill you.
King Dedede: Looks like he would kill you, but is actually a cinnamon roll.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Smash Koopalings - All identical in personality.

Canon Koopalings - All differ greatly. Bowser Jr. is Bowser's bratty son and most favored. Ludwig is a inventor and genius type in a mad scientist type of way. Wendy is the self centered diva that thinks she's the best thing. Lemmy is either the most innocent or the most twisted as he's very childish. Roy is the more tough/cool guy that can beat the stuffing out of you. Iggy comes across sort of nerdy and childish and is mechanically smart. Morton is the grouchy one. And Larry is the energetic one wanting to play sports.

Smash Olimar - What the heck is everyone doing here, they're a bunch of freaks. Where is my ship so I can get out of this nut factory.

Canon Olimar - What the heck is everyoen doing here, they're a bunch of freaks. Where is my ship so I can get out of this nut factory.

That being said, I wish Olimar and Pikmin got thrown a bone... we could of gotten Olimar's journal entries about the cast like how he'd write about and draw pictures of the creatures he encountered. It was cute and showed his personality.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
:ultridley:
Canon: Cruel, cunning, intelligent, leader.
Perceived: Brutish, witless.

:ultdarksamus:
Canon: Determined, methodical, wise, ruler, usurper.
Perceived: Just a Samus clone.

Last edited:

JimJackYEYE

Smash Rookie
I'd like to add, and im not sure if its already been said. in the world of light trailer Samus just stupidly stood there shooting at the light rays when she easily could of gotten in her goddamn ship that can travel at HUGE speeds. samus is wAAAAaay smarter than that.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'd like to add, and im not sure if its already been said. in the world of light trailer Samus just stupidly stood there shooting at the light rays when she easily could of gotten in her goddamn ship that can travel at HUGE speeds. samus is wAAAAaay smarter than that.
Oooh boy this again.

1) She was one of the first people taken out. She hadn't yet realized that she was outmatched. It wasn't a matter of her being "dumb".
2) Are you saying Samus's first instinct is to run away instead of at least try to hold her ground? Trying to fight it seems more in character to me.
3) Can her ship move at light speed? Would she have even reached her ship in time?

I get it, we're all salty that our favorite Nintendo characters were taken out. I'm a bit salty over some characters myself. But that scene was written to leave only the most beginner friendly character left, so it was written in a way where other characters couldn't react or didn't have time to escape. Kirby knowing to hop on a warp star admittedly may have been a writer's cheat but I wouldn't say Link, Samus or Bayonetta were being out of character or acting like idiots.

Last edited:

NintenEdgyMan

Smash Apprentice
Dark Samus: A metroid fused with phason inside one of Samuses suits that effects people with phason ultimately controlling their mind.

Perception: Really a third Samus?

ps_

Banned via Warnings

Big Boss in canon is a pretty terrible person, given the events of MGS5. Solid is way more likable even if he is a mushing, soft-spoken recluse.

Back to the topic: :ultkrool:defaults to the cartoon version with fans pretty often, which is a flamboyant short-sighted despot. It's amusing but it's also extremely common for cartoons, and I don't feel like it meshes well with how he appears in the games.

On the flip side I've really enjoyed the Smash team characterizing him as this hideously powerful animal mimicking a king. He's the sort of guy to play dress-up because he wants to play the roles of men, but it doesn't take much for him to lose his temper, get on all fours and beat you to death. It makes him intimidating and creepy in a way.

Top Bottom