• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can you start up Sm4sh without the gamepad?

SmashBob SquarePants

Smash Rookie
Hi I was wondering if it's possible to start up Sm4sh with a gamecube controller (with a gamecube controller adapter of course). I'm about to buy a Wii U without a gamepad, and I'm going to get an ethernet adapter so I can connect to the internet (I heard you can't navigate system settings without the gamepad, pretty annoying).

Thanks!

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Hi I was wondering if it's possible to start up Sm4sh with a gamecube controller (with a gamecube controller adapter of course). I'm about to buy a Wii U without a gamepad, and I'm going to get an ethernet adapter so I can connect to the internet (I heard you can't navigate system settings without the gamepad, pretty annoying).

Thanks!
You can't navigate with the GC controller unfortunately, though if you have a wiimote or a wiimote with a classic controller/classic controller pro peripheral, you should be all good.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
As someone who plays Smash 99% of the time with GameCube controllers, there are several caveats I must point out:

Bear in mind that a Wii U without a Gamepad is severely crippled. The inability to access system settings includes the inability to adjust for your TV settings, so if the previous owner connected to a traditional tube TV and you are using HDMI, or vice-versa, then you will not be able to see anything. Similarly if the Wii U was last played on a TV at 1080p and your TV only runs at 1080i or 720p, you still will not see anything. Additionally you will not be able to modify Internet settings, so if the prior owner used a wireless setup and you plan on going wired, you are out of luck using online features until you can get a Gamepad to make the needed changes.

Assuming you happen to have the same Internet provider, password, and same type of TV as the previous owner, then I suppose you could get by without a Gamepad. You will still be unable to create Miis, use amiibos, or create / modify custom stages in Smash though, among other things.

I honestly do not know why any Wii U would be sold without a Gamepad. You will need to acquire one at some point, even if you plan on gaming with GameCube controllers almost exclusively.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Just to point out the matter more clearly, the Wii U GamePad is a "mandatory" accessory, as it's needed for pretty much everything. Even if a game doesn't need to use it, you still need it for the features that require its use.

D

Deleted member

You can start the game by using either the Wii Remote or Wii U Pro Controller on the Wii U Menu via the TV screen, but unfortunately, you pretty much need the GamePad for everything, as many have stated above.

Jterr

Smash Apprentice
Hyrule ,Skyloft, Akaneia, Tellius, Ylisse, Magvel
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
4167-4991-9631
You can't start the Wii U without the Gamepad, although, you can play Smash 4 without the Gamepad. I moved my Gamepad out of the Wii U range and the game worked fine lol
But unforunately thats about all you can do without the Gamepad I think

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Answering your question, you can't start it with a gamecube controller but you could a wii remote. With that said the gamepad is forced on us quite a bit.

You won't be able to adjust your settings on the tv size, resolution etc... also won't be able to set up an internet connection.

I would strongly advise against this purchase... You won't be able to download any updates or DLC or anyth9ng like that... unless you are ok playing the 1st version, without the bug fixes, balance patches, Pirate Ship, Mario Maker, Hyrule Caste, Suziki Castle, and :4cloud:,:4ryu:,:4feroy:,:4lucas:,:4mewtwo:, and future guys... it is a terrible investment. Getting a replacement form Nintendo may be possible but I hear it is crazy expensive.

EDIT: Ethernet may work... I don't know if it would auto connect or not.

How much money are you saving by not getting the gamepad? (factor in ethernet adapter cost)

Last edited:

SmashBob SquarePants

Smash Rookie
I'm just going to borrow my friend's gamepad to set everything up, but I'm saving over 100$
Answering your question, you can't start it with a gamecube controller but you could a wii remote. With that said the gamepad is forced on us quite a bit.

You won't be able to adjust your settings on the tv size, resolution etc... also won't be able to set up an internet connection.

I would strongly advise against this purchase... You won't be able to download any updates or DLC or anyth9ng like that... unless you are ok playing the 1st version, without the bug fixes, balance patches, Pirate Ship, Mario Maker, Hyrule Caste, Suziki Castle, and :4cloud:,:4ryu:,:4feroy:,:4lucas:,:4mewtwo:, and future guys... it is a terrible investment. Getting a replacement form Nintendo may be possible but I hear it is crazy expensive.

EDIT: Ethernet may work... I don't know if it would auto connect or not.

How much money are you saving by not getting the gamepad? (factor in ethernet adapter cost)

David Wonn

Smash Ace
^

That can be a short-term solution as long as you plan on sticking with the same TV / ISP / password indefinitely. Be sure to enable auto-updates during you initial setup as well and set up whatever Miis you plan on using in advance. Also set up at least one custom stage in the game's stage builder (if you're a completionist.) I will also assume you have a Wiimote or Pro controller handy to fire up the console every time and I will assume you have no plans on purchasing any amiibos.

However, if you plan on getting any other games in the future, especially the other popular games, you'll really need a Gamepad of your own. Some games are crippled without it (e.g. seeing other players' items in Kart) and some absolutely require it (e.g. Splatoon.) Your short-term savings will be eaten up in the long term if you plan on utilizing the Wii U's other features (off-TV play, web browser, watching movies, etc.) and games, as previously mentioned.

Oh, and there is one other Smash feature I forgot which requires the Gamepad: YouTube uploads. Maybe you won't use this or other things mentioned here, but I hope your friend doesn't mind lending that Gamepad when you periodically run into things that require it....

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to borrow my friend's gamepad to set everything up, but I'm saving over 100$

Even at that... I would suggest saving up to get the complete system... unless you never plan on playing a game other than smash on it. If you wanted to get a replacement later it would probably run you much more than that. (Quck google search found stuff starting in the $150 range.)

IMO... the Gamepad idea is a pretty major bust... there are cool things to be done with it yes, but at the price where it isn't viable for people to buy extras as controllers for other players... wasn't a good move. (that and as someone once pointed out... may or may not have been from Nintendo tablet technology advanced quickly taking away the uniqueness of the gamepad.)

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
I keep my GamePad on it's charging dock 24/7, so it's normal practice for me when I power on the console, to wait a second and select Smash from the quick start menu, then go sit down. To me, it feels the same as powering on a GameCube, and it takes about as long I think, since the Wii U doesn't have an intro thingy.

Top Bottom