• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

can we compile a list of our 50/50s?

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Trying to get back into the game serious and want to work on the list of tricks I have :).
I wanted to see if we could discuss some of the 50/50 situations we can set up in matches.
Right now off the top of my head some of the stuff I have is...
-Back throw to flip jump at them if they air dodge just go low with them and bair we can recover anyways!
-down throw ->1 up air x1 and if they attack or air dodge just be ready on the ground to regrab/pivot grab them
-downsmash behind or in front of them and if they spot dodge boost kick.
Jab 1 -> grab or pivot grab if they stay in shield if not use the space to with flip jump.

If there is anything anyone has to add or go over that would be Cool!

skoolzout1

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skoolzout1
3DS FC
0018-2889-0858
Where do I start:

-- Jab 1 to UpB is great at high percents, from my limited testing the only way to beat it is if they are literally a character with like a frame 3 Nair or if they DI away and mash jump airdodge, there are probably more ways but it catches people more often than not at high percents

-- there's also the Marss special, up air up air Flip kick or up air jump flip kick, which I need to get better at personally (the amount of times I end up footstooling off their body when they airdodge is infuriating)

-- this should be obvious but when you Nair someone's shield its pretty much rock paper scissors for them unless they power shield Nair in which case you just lose, but you can either mash jab if you suspect them shield grabbing or dropping shield at all, you can also down smash if you suspect a spot dodge if they think you're going to grab, and you could also grab them if they stay in shield suspecting you to mash jab or another attack

-- at somewhat high percents you have the dthrow into airdodge read up air, or if you want you can go for dthrow to fair and it seems to be a true combo unless they mash airdodge so I guess it's still a 50/50
..the only reason up air doesn't work in this case is that uair doesn't reach far enough forwards in the time frame you have for it to be a true combo but fair does, if they air dodge then obv you have enough time for up air

-- As Nairo has pointed out and demonstrated, if you suspect your opponent to di dthrow away, you can back throw to rar Bair since they will be DI'ing towards you if they plan on DI'ing dthrow away

-- for whatever reason I love doing this if your opponent isn't one to mash air dodge, basically we all know what landing a Nair can do for us, well sometimes if I land a Nair I love to go for yet another short hop Nair as a follow up and since it'll hit them while in the air it'll set up for Up air Up B stuff or maybe flip kick if you jump a little bit first but this only works at around 30-50 percent and only if you opponent doesn't mash jump or air dodge.

I have no idea why landing Nair on an airborn enemy feels like a much different trajectory than hitting a grounded opponent but it almost feels like it doesn't send them as far, maybe I'm just crazy but anyways that's all I can think of for now. If I think of more I'll add them

Last edited:

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Where do I start:

-- Jab 1 to UpB is great at high percents, from my limited testing the only way to beat it is if they are literally a character with like a frame 3 Nair or if they DI away and mash jump airdodge, there are probably more ways but it catches people more often than not at high percents
I know about this one although It feels like certain characters that are floaty I.E Ness/Rosa/Lucas ect

-- there's also the Marss special, up air up air Flip kick or up air jump flip kick, which I need to get better at personally (the amount of times I end up footstooling off their body when they airdodge is infuriating)
I have only done this a few times, the new #1 in my region is a nairo-ish aggro zss , but he only landed that on me like 1/20+ times he kept messing up the timing. The whole flip stooling automatically kinda makes this seem unsafe so high up

-- this should be obvious but when you Nair someone's shield its pretty much rock paper scissors for them unless they power shield Nair in which case you just lose, but you can either mash jab if you suspect them shield grabbing or dropping shield at all, you can also down smash if you suspect a spot dodge if they think you're going to grab, and you could also grab them if they stay in shield suspecting you to mash jab or another attack
Been wondering about this one because I know if we don't space properly we get grabbed or can try to jab ,but I've been wondering what other options can we do to avoid the damage I am wondering if mashing JC down b away is possible.
I have also just straight said **** it and YOLO boost kicked after hitting their shield catching some people eating some fsmashes

-- at somewhat high percents you have the dthrow into airdodge read up air, or if you want you can go for dthrow to fair and it seems to be a true combo unless they mash airdodge so I guess it's still a 50/50
..the only reason up air doesn't work in this case is that uair doesn't reach far enough forwards in the time frame you have for it to be a true combo but fair does, if they air dodge then obv you have enough time for up air
Well this one is a strange one beccause I know that fair-> shouldn't reliably combo but there have been several situations in my sets where I just know they are at the % they effed up and now after my downsmash -> nair im getting fair -> fair and carrying them offstage and killing them.

-- As Nairo has pointed out and demonstrated, if you suspect your opponent to di dthrow away, you can back throw to rar Bair since they will be DI'ing towards you if they plan on DI'ing dthrow away
I rarely get those rar bairs from grabs like I donno if people are just stupid at this point but i get so many matches where they just don't DI even when i've just down thrown them 3 times in a row, so sometimes I just get trigger happy expecting to chase and completely miss the up air follow up =[.

-- for whatever reason I love doing this if your opponent isn't one to mash air dodge, basically we all know what landing a Nair can do for us, well sometimes if I land a Nair I love to go for yet another short hop Nair as a follow up and since it'll hit them while in the air it'll set up for Up air Up B stuff or maybe flip kick if you jump a little bit first but this only works at around 30-50 percent and only if you opponent doesn't mash jump or air dodge.
Thats a sometimes think for me I notice the up air up b stuff is still sorta easy Stolen some games or sets with it ,Although when I commentate and we talk about stuff like that I am usually bias in pointing out how stupidly unsafe it is. I have even seen players like V115 straight up fish for boost kicks and take unnecessary % or deaths from it.
I have no idea why landing Nair on an airborn enemy feels like a much different trajectory than hitting a grounded opponent but it almost feels like it doesn't send them as far, maybe I'm just crazy but anyways that's all I can think of for now. If I think of more I'll add them
They might be DI'ing certain ways like if they tried to fair or dair ect. I have noticed alot of things like Zss's Surprise butt sex up airs! I am sure everyone has gotten one at some point, Those up airs that just murder people because they are not ready for the DI. and they just straight up die of the top when I can hit corrin with a fresh up air when she's at 170% and she doesn't die then I kill someone like cloud with ease around 100%. **** is stupid.

Thanks for your reply though there are some things I forgot about and some I just remembered but forgot again XD

Top Bottom