• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CAN there be a Smash 6 after Ultimate?

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
This is absolutely not the final Smash game. What form the next game will take (reboot or port with more content) is the question, as is whether or not Sakurai will return.

Personally, I’m worried that without Sakurai, the series will lose some of its charm and start focusing on what’s relevant. I could see content from F-Zero, Mother, the old NES games, Kid Icarus, Punch-Out, etc. being removed without his involvement.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sakurai did say he would be willing to do Smash games as long as the demand in there, so a Smash 6 is likely. What form it will take is what's uncertain right now. Pichu, some Links and Dr. Mario might be taken out though, but who knows?

Personally, I’m worried that without Sakurai, the series will lose some of its charm and start focusing on what’s relevant. I could see content from F-Zero, Mother, the old NES games, Kid Icarus, Punch-Out, etc. being removed without his involvement.
I hope that Shinya Kumazaki can be worthy enough to be his successor someday. That guy is all about the fan service, given that he brought back Kirby characters that havent been seen in over a decade.

Uffe

Smash Hero
If/When Smash 6 does happen, I'd imagine the roster would be reduced. I would hope the roster be reduced, starting with the most represented series, such as Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and now with The Legend of Zelda. The point we're at now with Sma5h is ridiculous. It's cool to see a lot of new characters in Smash, but let's be real. I think Sm4sh before DLC was enough character options. And I think Sakurai's problem is cutting out characters. A reduced roster doesn't equate to a bad game.

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I REALLY hope this Smash has a longer life span than Smash 4... So I'm ok with it being the last one for a long time. As long as they have a better dedicated balancing phase post DLC if they add some.

Smash 4 already feels useless to advance in, and I love that game. It's ok because the horizon has one of the greatest potential Smash games of all time, but I sunk so much time into 4, and I have no intention of leveling up further. It's not like the undead Melee, Ultimate is going to completely kill and cannibalize 4. So I don't even want to think about a 6 for a very very long time. I'm also getting kinda old lol, this is kind of like my last serious competitive run.

Standlord

Smash Cadet
It seems I'm at the unpopular opinion here, but I wouldn't buy a smash 6 with half the characters just because they change some movesets (as much as I want that to happen, starting with Ganondorf). It baffles me that people are willing to pay for a game with half the content we have right know -I would personally just keep playing smash ultimate if that was the case-. In my opinion, there is not much more else you can do to the smash formula to improve it outside a new adventure mode every time, and it's not like I play smash for that reason anyways. I would probably only buy a smash 6 if it ports all the content from smash 5 and keeps adding.

Sure, "you cannot add forever" but not for that reason I'm willing to play with only 30 or 40 characters when the previous game had 80 you know, I'd just stick to 5 and forget about any successor, I'm not gonna buy a game just for the sake of it or because it's on the latest console. I believe that for smash 6 an improved port with more content could be the way to go, since graphics are good enough and cannot go much further imo and the formula is fine and refined at this point (although third party licenses could be an issue there and force to drop someone of the thirds if they are not willing to continue) and for smash 7 who knows, it's too soon to diacuss a potential smash 7.

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice
Can there? Sure.

Should there? That's a question we'll have to find out after Smash Ultimate is out and we've had a chance to play it.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Of course we'll have another Smash Game. The franchise is too big to stop making games.

But there's going to be a before and after "Smash Ultimate". Now, we can't go back and make some cuts for Smash 6, people will refuse it. Smash Bros i all about getting bigger and bigger, all about the hype, Nintendo know it.

I think that Smash Games are going to be like MARVEL movies or Mario Kart. We'll never see some big changes in the gameplay again. We'll never see some big changes in the graphics again. If Sakurai can't keep pace, they'll replace him by some kind of yesman who will follow some rules about how to make the next Smash:

- Many newcomers
- Many new stages
- Many new musics

And that's all, here's your new Smash. Smash Bros is not a personal game with Sakurai's vision implemented in it anymore. This is now a commercial juggernaut and Nintendo know it. They are just going to continue making Smash games with or without Sakurai.

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
There certainly WILL be, but if it has half the roster I certainly won't buy it, sorry...

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I fully expect this Smash Ultimate to take on a Live Services model. Consider the format used by games like World of Warcraft, league of legends, even other fighting games like Killer Instinct.

We're potentially reaching a point with Ultimate where we should just port and tune the game and an overhaul would overall be detrimental. This would mean pretty regular post launch releases of content and patches to ensure stability and optimization. It would most likely be able to be supported just through DLC financing, like skins/echoes/fighters/stages/etc.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I think there will be for sure, but not for a long time, which is why we're getting a lot of long requested characters and features. I also think the DLC for this game is going to stretch out much longer than smash 4's, with that game being a testing ground for it

Last edited:

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
It seems I'm at the unpopular opinion here, but I wouldn't buy a smash 6 with half the characters just because they change some movesets (as much as I want that to happen, starting with Ganondorf). It baffles me that people are willing to pay for a game with half the content we have right know -I would personally just keep playing smash ultimate if that was the case-. In my opinion, there is not much more else you can do to the smash formula to improve it outside a new adventure mode every time, and it's not like I play smash for that reason anyways. I would probably only buy a smash 6 if it ports all the content from smash 5 and keeps adding.

Sure, "you cannot add forever" but not for that reason I'm willing to play with only 30 or 40 characters when the previous game had 80 you know, I'd just stick to 5 and forget about any successor, I'm not gonna buy a game just for the sake of it or because it's on the latest console. I believe that for smash 6 an improved port with more content could be the way to go, since graphics are good enough and cannot go much further imo and the formula is fine and refined at this point (although third party licenses could be an issue there and force to drop someone of the thirds if they are not willing to continue) and for smash 7 who knows, it's too soon to diacuss a potential smash 7.
Idunno, when I think about whether or not I want to buy a game, the amount of content is never really a selling point for me. Longevity is, and the amount of content can add to that in a lot of cases, but Smash is already overloaded. Smash 4 is 4 years old now and on the way out and I'm still finding new ways to improve with characters I've been playing as the entire time. I've hardly touched probably 75% of the cast. Melee's roster isn't even 30 characters and it's had a thriving community for nearly 2 decades.

I do agree that it's hard to imagine where they can go with the franchise, but I don't think 'port with more content' is the only answer.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
A reboot will be fine. Just because it has less characters does not mean that it will be bad.

Standlord

Smash Cadet
Idunno, when I think about whether or not I want to buy a game, the amount of content is never really a selling point for me. Longevity is, and the amount of content can add to that in a lot of cases, but Smash is already overloaded. Smash 4 is 4 years old now and on the way out and I'm still finding new ways to improve with characters I've been playing as the entire time. I've hardly touched probably 75% of the cast. Melee's roster isn't even 30 characters and it's had a thriving community for nearly 2 decades.

I do agree that it's hard to imagine where they can go with the franchise, but I don't think 'port with more content' is the only answer.
Well the thing is, you probably only think that way because you are a more oriented towards competitive fan. Most of the people don't play to be better each time, they just play to have fun in whatever setting they feel like. And even amongst those who play to be the best, I'm sure there's a huge percentage too that care a lot about diversity in the roster. As such, overloaded or not is an entirely subjective matter and most of the casual fans will tell you that the most they care about is having their favourite characters in. You know, melee community and even the competitive cmunity as a whole is a ridiculously small percentage of the total smash community, and most of the people don't care about the competitive scene or tournaments. You cannot consider those type of fans as a reference point for future games because it wouldn't sell IF technicality is all there is.

Having a more technical game with less options outside that is only less appealing for the majority, who don't wanna learn difficult stuff and just want to have fun trying new things. And I think this feeling is specially strong in smash, because smash is an easy to get into kind of game, it's not like other fighting games where you have to pull of difficult button combinations to do different attacks, in those kind of games you'd expect the fans to be more "hardcore" to begin with, and thus care more about technical stuff than the characters.

Also there's the fact that smash characters aren't specifically made for the game, they come from other games and cutting a character means making sad a lot of fans that where more attached to the character because they played with him in another game.

When I play smash I personally care for having fun in a semi competitive setting. I play almost every character and I care about having different machtes every time, and diversity in the cast helps greatly, even if it's only by playing against different characters and not AS different characters.

I'm sorry for writing so much but I just wanted to explain my point of view, I'll resume: I don't think you can sell the masses a smash game that has half the content than its predecessor even if you think that content doubles its quality, people would just keep playing the previous one. Literally the only selling point that I see capable of making a difference in those circumstances is bringing a new adventure mode every time, and even then, that would not suffice on its own. Here people are more oriented towards the "melee HD is good" mentality because they are -most of them- more competitive-technical fans, and not "diverse smash" fans.

That's why a reboot is such a hard decision to make (and I personally wouldn't be part of it for the reasons stated above).

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
No, you're right to feel that way, but you also said it baffled you that people would be willing to pay for another Smash game with less content, so I was just trying to explain why some people might be willing to make that choice. I definitely don't think the game would do as well with the casual audience, but personally, I'd still probably buy whatever comes next. Because of it's massive roster, people will probably continue to play Ultimate even after the next game comes out if the roster doesn't stack up, but that's fine, Smash games have always had to coexist alongside eachother.

I don't think it necessarily has to be more technical either, more game modes, a more balanced (and accessible) custom move system, better single player... there are a lot of things they can do to build on Smash's very solid foundation if they want to continue the franchise.

Standlord

Smash Cadet
Yeah well I guess it baffles me in a way because smash ultimate is already looking good even for the more technical fans, so I don't know what else could there be done to justify such a massive cut in the roster even amongst those fans. But I guess I haven't looked enough into the deeps of competitive melee and its speed to answer that.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, with the November Direct spoiling everything for Ultimate and the game only being a month away and the fact that the DLC will be Piranha Plant followed by five unannounced characters, we'd might as well move our speculation to Smash 6. Smash 6 can be like a port of Ultimate with every character and stage in with a few tweaks here and there. And not only would there be all the stages from Ultimate, but every stage from the whole series including the Miiverse stage. And the Adventure Mode can combine the overworld map from World of Light with platforming stages from the Subspace Emissary with fully voiced cutscenes (for characters capable of talking) between levels. Link could go back to his Twilight Princess look and have his Breath of the Wild look as an alt. Daisy could have her sports outfit as an alt. The Echoes can be decloned more and treated like their own characters. Cloud can finally be voiced by Steve Burton and Final Fantasy can have more stuff like a Yuffie Assist Trophy and a Sephiroth boss and more songs and trophies to at least justify Cloud being in. Characters like Waluigi, Isaac, Geno, Shantae, Tails, Krystal, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Bandana Dee, Rayman, Lara Croft, Wonder Red, Bomberman, Rex & Pyra, Banjo-Kazooie and even Goku can be newcomers. Trophies can come back, along with a new collectable: Cards. While Trophies have 3D models, cards are the same thing with png images but can be traded for other cards in a Trading Card minigame.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Well, with the November Direct spoiling everything for Ultimate and the game only being a month away and the fact that the DLC will be Piranha Plant followed by five unannounced characters, we'd might as well move our speculation to Smash 6. Smash 6 can be like a port of Ultimate with every character and stage in with a few tweaks here and there. And not only would there be all the stages from Ultimate, but every stage from the whole series including the Miiverse stage. And the Adventure Mode can combine the overworld map from World of Light with platforming stages from the Subspace Emissary with fully voiced cutscenes (for characters capable of talking) between levels. Link could go back to his Twilight Princess look and have his Breath of the Wild look as an alt. Daisy could have her sports outfit as an alt. The Echoes can be decloned more and treated like their own characters. Cloud can finally be voiced by Steve Burton and Final Fantasy can have more stuff like a Yuffie Assist Trophy and a Sephiroth boss and more songs and trophies to at least justify Cloud being in. Characters like Waluigi, Isaac, Geno, Shantae, Tails, Krystal, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Bandana Dee, Rayman, Lara Croft, Wonder Red, Bomberman, Rex & Pyra, Banjo-Kazooie and even Goku can be newcomers. Trophies can come back, along with a new collectable: Cards. While Trophies have 3D models, cards are the same thing with png images but can be traded for other cards in a Trading Card minigame.
the trading card idea makes me want a smash tcg

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
The next Smash Bros would have to come up with a gimmick more exciting than "Everyone is Here," and good luck with that I say. I don't see how Smash could possibly be more exciting than Ultimate is right now, unless they somehow arranged a PlayStation AllStars crossover...

Blue Rose

Smash Rookie
I'd be fine with them continuing to reuse assets, at this point starting all over would cut the roster to at best half its current size and I don't think that would received well. Though I do think that some characters need overhauling.

Last edited:

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
Of course there can be. It's a popular franchise backed by a huge company which incorporates aspects from all the huge franchises, some of the lesser known ones, and throws a bit of nostalgia in there. Even if Sakurai isn't around to make the game, I'm sure there will still be a 6th game one way or another.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I imagine a next Smash at least starting with some less characters in the roster, but there's space to improvements in things we already know this game will not provide.
There's space for improvements on the online system with dedicated servers and a rank system.
There's space for different game modes, like a campaign with a side scrooling gameplay style.
There's space for more original stages and different characters.
The Switch is not the last Nintendo console too, despite I see no other coming in the next 10 years, the next one cannot stay without a smash game, even if it is just a port from Ultimate.

Last edited:

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
There WILL be smash games until either gaming dies, or the universe ceases to exist. MY hope, is they just keep re releasing ultimate with updated graphics and such with each system, and just continue to add to and balance the roster indefinitely. Yeah, that would mean within a few years, we would have over 100 fighters and like 130 stages and 200 assist trophies and so on...but so what? Keep expanding on the ultimate game.

I feel unfortunately they will go with what the majority here is saying and they will revamp the franchise with a boring 20 character roster and basically overhaul move sets and gameplay mechanics.......yuck. They could patch in complete character changes into ultimate as is...again...I would rather Nintendo spends the rest of its existence simply expanding ultimate.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
There can be and absolutely will be another Smash. It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN? It's one of Nintendo's biggest franchises by far and one of the big pillars of any single system. They sell phenomenally well.

That said, **** em if they reboot the game series. That just screams what ever other fighting game does, is cut down the roster to an embarrassingly small size for any reason. And most people seem to suggest that you should redesign all of the character's move sets (of those who suggest that). I have multiple problems with that. I think the move sets are pretty iconic to most of the characters at this point, and even the classic fighting games have classic moves for those characters, so why completely overhaul them? I hate custom moves and wouldn't want to see the multiple versions of characters like from Mortal Kombat X because that has never felt right to me in Smash (When you could be using that development time on other things at least). And I also generally disagree that characters are poorly represented by their move sets. Some are like Ganondorf and arguably Samus in the modern era, but they cover a lot of things and do a good job of giving them identity in the games.

And that's just one element of proposed reboots. I don't want Smash to feel like another fighting game, and it never will if it properly retains it's identity as much as a small portion of people want to make it a completely competitive game. I think Sakurai has done a great job at making Ultimate seemingly the most competitive game since Melee without sacrificing any of the identity in the process. People complain about the roster size, but I never see all that much variation in Melee either with about 10 characters used of the 26. That's just the nature of most competitive games, what does it matter if you're only going to see those few anyway whether there's another 6 characters or 60...

But I just see roster as the most important part of Smash. Smash has always been about fighting with your favorite video game characters (or a variety of characters at least if not your favorites). They're what make the game such a big seller in comparison to other fighting games that typically see MUCH lower sells and communities. Smash is non-traditional and should stay that way with a focus on being the fan service game that it is meant to be giving as much attention to the hardcore side of things as the more fun party side. Take that away and start focusing on tighter balance in the name of a more competitive game and I think you objectively begin to lose things.

I admit that we'll probably have to deal with cuts, but I think most of those would be a mistake and adding on to Ultimate is the best bet. You've got base with pretty much everything that came before character and stage wise for Smash now, why not use that to make a game with better modes and just more characters and content overall? That may seem lazy, but I really do see the reinvention of the series as something that will take away from it's identity. It's supposed to be crazy and jam packed with crazy amounts of content (And while I do lament the loss of some modes, the core game at the end of the day is just always going to be the characters and stages you fight on).

There will come a day when just porting Ultimate over wouldn't work in that scenario, and that's a day I do NOT look forward to. Third parties are going to especially be in danger from game to game seeing as they have so many rights and issues at play, so I'm glad we got to do this at least once before we inevitably face some cuts (And again, if you cut down to say 30, I think you're making a massive mistake and objectively losing a ton of content).

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Sakurai practically confirmed Smash 6 when he stated "The next Smash game will probably have less fighters."

Room100

Smash Apprentice
I feel that Ultimate (or maybe Melee) will be the first Smash to be ported to future consoles instead of working on a fresh new game. In my mind, Ultimate will be THE Smash to play for a very long time, porting it to new consoles and adding new fighters/items/patches here and there. That way the game continues to be balanced and fresh without being crazy hard to develop (assuming Sakurai's still at the wheel). I think it'd be a happy medium where Sakurai could hopefully branch out into other projects or just relax while treating Smash like a side gig.

After all that, should we get a brand new Smash not made by Sakurai, I could see it being a whole new game. Classics like Mario, Link, and Donkey Kong could still be around, but it'd probably have a lot less emphasis on legacy or large amounts of franchise representation.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Reboot with no Sakurai is ideal.

His bias and narrow mindedness are getting old tbh

It's time to let someone else helm the game.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

Oh my goodness thank you. He's stuck to dumb old traditions since 2001.
They should have Nintendo of America design the next Smash. That way it'll be easier to connect with the Western audience more, since most "popular" fighters that get added are really only popular in Japan, and Western requests are rarely listened to.

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209

While I wouldn't go THAT far, I feel that Sakurai either needs to retire or continue working on other projects. Smash for some odd reason is both limiting and liberating for him since he puts so much work and effort into them, yet he is restrained to both Nintendo's expectations and the expectations of the players. Like when he rebooted Kid Icarus, you could see that it was truly HIS game. Yeah fans were excited for it, but you could feel that he had a blast making the game because he did whatever he wanted with it, and with Kid Icarus being a dormant franchise he could re-invent it, and now we have a more iconic take on that franchise.

Smash doesn't give him that freedom. Yes, he STILL tries to force some of his game development ideas into it, but with Nintendo and now Namco working on the game, I feel he has less of a say with what goes in and what goes out, and he knows that whatever gimmick he creates for the game will be met with VERY mixed reactions (tripping in Brawl, making two versions of Smash 4, Smash Party mode in 4 etc.).

As for the bias, while he as a director does have enough of a right to put more emphasis on his own creations...it's hard to deny it. In SSE in Brawl, the Kirby heroes were the main protagonists while the rest of the Nintendo crew were either incompetent or lost in battle. Now with Spirits, Kirby is the main star, and while I do love the idea that if this IS indeed Sakurai's last Smash game having Kirby save the Nintendo universe would be poetic, it shows once again how he prefers certain aspects of his game development. Speaking of which, he re-uses A LOT of his own game ideas. I mean don't get me wrong, game developers often will create great engines and system and use it over and over again, but Sakurai just has this mentality that whatever gimmick he created in one game has to be used in another game of his. It's a double edged sword.

Smithn

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4332 5240 6154
Honestly I hope they keep updating Ultimate / use Ultimate as a base for the next game rather than essentially starting over and cutting a large amount of characters. Some characters may need to be dropped eventually for licensing reasons but I always hated the idea of a total reboot. But in any case Smash is too popular to just drop, even if Sakurai decides to leave. I kinda hope he has a successor in mind if he ever stops directing Smash.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Honestly I hope they keep updating Ultimate / use Ultimate as a base for the next game rather than essentially starting over and cutting a large amount of characters. Some characters may need to be dropped eventually for licensing reasons but I always hated the idea of a total reboot. But in any case Smash is too popular to just drop, even if Sakurai decides to leave. I kinda hope he has a successor in mind if he ever stops directing Smash.
Yeah, everyone being here is probably the best thing about Ultimate. The cut veterans will always cause controversy because a lot of players have a favorite character that they use as a main. So they should try to keep bringing everyone back. The only characters that should be cut would be the ones that are the hardest to include by either legal issues or technical difficulties. They may cut some unpopular characters but every character has a fanbase that would get mad. But if Cloud comes back, please find a way to get Steve Burton to voice him. It's ridiculous that he's stuck with his Japanese voice while Marth and Roy are speaking English. And get more Final Fantasy content in. If they can't do that, then they might as well cut Cloud from the next Smash game.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Oh my goodness thank you. He's stuck to dumb old traditions since 2001.
They should have Nintendo of America design the next Smash. That way it'll be easier to connect with the Western audience more, since most "popular" fighters that get added are really only popular in Japan, and Western requests are rarely listened to.
I really don't get a lot of the criticism towards Sakurai for bias. His bias has resulted in some of our wackiest characters, ROB, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game and Watch, Pit, Wii Fit Trainer, and so on owe everything to that very bias, and I definitely think the game would be missing something big without those characters. They bring unique move sets and representations of much smaller places of Nintendo history to the game.

Do I sometimes wish that Sakurai went even further in that regard? Sure, but there are limitations of making games like this and sometimes his creativity is just better suited for other things. Is the Piranha Plant the wrong character for the moment? Probably, but it at least adds a creative move set.

We already basically have every major character from Nintendo history in the game with a handful of exceptions. Toad and Dixie Kong are probably the biggest two of the old guard still missing from the game, which is a testament to how much Sakurai has included. I may support the likes of Isaac and Chorus Kids, but when those are the sorts of characters you're claiming that need to be in, I think you're saying as much about how well the roster represents Nintendo history at this point as neither Golden Sun nor Rhythm Heaven are massive franchises, just mainly beloved. It's a shame that these characters aren't in, but I'm not going to pretend like such characters are absolutely necessary. I think they should be in due to fan support which is entirely different.

Sakurai has done a lot of things over the years to change his mind. Villager, Pac-Man, Miis? All shot down during Brawl and they showed up during Smash 4. Ridley finally showed up during Ultimate and he worked hard on including fan requested characters for the overwhelming majority of this game's roster.

And no Western requested fighters??? Little Mac, Ridley, and Dark Samus all absolutely come from popularity in the West. Bayonetta (if you believe his reporting) comes from the top of requests in Europe (Which is absolutely Western). Requests for Castlevania also were much more likely to come from the west as well. The West generally agrees upon most of the big character choices such as having main veterans return or the missing bigger characters (King K Rool was huge in BOTH the west and Japan). He's not ignoring the West consistently in adding characters. The biggest "Western" requests missing are probably the likes of Isaac and Shantae who pretty much entirely derive their popularity from the west, and Shantae is a third party indie so she was always going to have a massively uphill battle to get in anyway... Characters like Geno and Banjo Kazooie have high popularity in the Japan despite being more thought of as Western requests. Bandanna Dee and basically any Kirby character is dominated by overwhelming support in Japan. There isn't some massive pro-Japanese narrative when it comes to requests. The characters do come from Japan seeing as Nintendo is ya know, a Japanese company and they work exclusively with third parties on a character level in Japan which is an active decision I guess, but not such a big deal.

The only real places I see Sakurai's bias is with HOW he can represent some characters/games. Fire Emblem is mostly a victim of circumstances honestly (And the audience has had a large impact on that situation), failing to represent the unique classes of the game. He's mostly kept the sword mechanics the primary root of Fire Emblem. Zelda hasn't really had a newcomer since Melee and only just now feels like at least an attempt at proper representation, but to be fair not many of Zelda's characters stand out with multiple appearances. Kid Icarus probably doesn't two fighters and an Echo, but people did expressly want Palutena I remember during Smash 4 and Sakurai is human and going to want to support his own ideas a little too.

He's not perfect, but Sakurai is far from being a problem towards the roster and the future of Smash. I think he can be a little tone deaf with regards to how people react to his compromises (The Assist Trophy situation basically post Brawl, Mii Fighter costumes, and making a big point of the Spirits) as people don't agree with the compromise as fitting, but he does try to constantly deliver on multiple levels of fan service at least and has succeeded at different points while making a massive and diverse roster. His timing with reveals can also be off, but he includes desirable content most of the time.

I just don't know if another director would be able to step in his shoes so perfectly on the first go, or would even care more about adding those fan requests. We just can't know that for sure...

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
We should have had an actual Ganondorf in Brawl, we still have him as a slower, stronger Falcon clone but now he has a sword for smashes, yipee. I'm sure it's split here, but I'd love to see the vets updated, Mario with Cappy as a move, and not just an aesthetic thing and so on. We have 3 Links that could def be more unique, seeing as how they arent the same person, but Sakurai doesnt enjoy Zelda like he does his games and Minecraft so we won't get a character outside of the 3 triforcers since he doesnt know of any other characters.

We should have 8 colors for every character, and have any costumes be extra, I still cant believe they cut Fire Mario out of all his colors lol, I dont even use it but that's just ridiculous. Having 8 recolors and costumes be extra isnt exactly a huge undertaking, and would add more variety, and I seriously doubt they will include alt costumes as dlc eventhough just about every character has multiple ones as possibilities.

Yeah I'm ready for someone else to give it a shot.

He's done a pretty good job but change might be good.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here are my thoughts: many people assume that the next entry of Smash Bros. (if it happens) will have a reduced roster, since adding to Ultimate's lineup seems unwieldy. I'd like to remind everyone that that was the general consensus after Smash 4....

That may still happen, but I think unless there were something else amazing about the game to make up for it, it would disappoint a lot of gamers to know many of their favorite characters would be cut, and that could affect hype and sales.
I think Sakurai is on to something with echo fighters though....and we see this in many other games. Why reinvent the wheel when you can adapt a similar character to an existing character's moveset? Maybe mix and match some moves as we've seen with Chrom?
And to save space on the CSS, all such future "echoes" may be more like alternate costumes. Maybe even characters like Dr. Mario would be collapsed into Mario on the CSS, but they may still retain their differences. This seems to be the direction Smash Bros. is heading in.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
After I got K Rool I started to feel completely content with the series, thinking it couldn't get better, and that I'd be willing to let go of Smash after this game.

But then when the rest of the characters and gameplay modes were revealed and I started feeling a little disappointed, I realized that there was still so much more I wanted out of Smash, from characters to single player modes.

Ultimate actually can be topped. And I don't even think they need to reboot to do it. The roster will likely have cuts, although maybe not as significant as we think. But I do think they could easily top the single player content by doing something closer to SSE, but with more enemies and locations from Nintendo and it's 3rd party partners. More remixes. Maybe stop doing returning stages and make all new stages ( or at least save returning stages for free post game updates )

Do crazy unexpected things, maybe assist trophies can be both playable and assist trophies. Heck, always wanted to see a Mario assist trophy.

I'd I'm being 100% honest, I've heard it suggested that the next Smash should be a platform instead that just constantly gets updated with new content instead of being a one and done game with a set amount of DLC afterward. It would be very difficult, but with Smash being one of Nintendo's biggest franchises now, I feel like it would be worth it.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
They can't make another Smash with cuts. They just can't. It doesn't matter how they present it, people will be angry and disappointed.

Top Bottom