• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can Someone guide me through Clr Animation?

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Like the title above, I've been seeing this used in various parts of Brawl, most notably the menus and every skin of Battlefield that you can think of. I've tried to figure it out on my own but to no avail. Can anyone who knows how to use Clr Animation and make it work guide me through it so that I may further improve that CSS I've put out (the one in my signature at the moment)? In particular I need help in adding an entirely new Clr Animation to a model in the CSS that doesn't have one (in context of the CSS I have, it's the one that uses that Galaxy-esque texture).

Any takers?

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
I have found color animations to be the most confusing of the 4 types. It does not help that the latest version of brawlbox (0.76b I believe) does not preview them correctly, meaning the only way to test a CLR animation is to load your file in dolphin. So far I have only used CLR animations to change transparency, not actual colors. But let me share my experiences with that on the off-chance it will be helpful for you.

To create a new CLR animation in brawlbox: right click the model data you are working with -> new -> Color Sequence. Name the animation whatever you like. Use the panel in the upper right to set the number of frames in the animation and loop it.

Next, right click on the new animation -> New Material Entry. Expand the animation (click the plus sign) and you will now see "NewNode" which expands to "Color0". Rename the NewNode to the name of the material which animation will be applied to. (see helpful picture below)

Now click on Color0, and use the panel to make sure "Constant" is set to False. You should now see a list of all the frames in the animation. For simple color animations (shifting from one color or one level of transparency to another), do the following: Select all the frames (click first frame, then shift+click the last frame) right click -> Edit. Fill in values for the first and last frames, and the rest will be filled in automatically.

To make the animation work (at least with transparency) I have found that the following settings need to be set under the material entry within the model itself: Enable Blend -> True; LightChannel0 -> Color -> MaterialSource -> Vertex (see helpful picture).

Hope that helps!

Cahalan

Smash Ace
THANK YOU SO MUCH. I'm involved in a special project involving two popular builds here on smash boards (on that has a focus on staying competitive while adding new content and the other that has a butt load of stages (around 600+), guess which ones.) and I was trying to get a particular background on the CSS to change colors over a period of 7 seconds (420 frames... 420YOLOSWAG4JESUS). I'll test this later and report back.

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
Okay, PegasusKnt PegasusKnt I'm going to upload this and could you see if it works (I can't test because my console cant read discs), I'm trying to have my background change colors over a period of 7 seconds (Note: to test, insert it in the Menu 2 folder after deleting the "(2)" from the name): http://www.mediafire.com/download/x8dghqxkka3cc3d/sc_selcharacter(2).pac
Sure, I can do that for you. BTW, you should look into getting dolphin (a wii emulator). I find it much faster to test changes in dolphin than it is to boot up my wii every time.

So I just tested it and I'm pretty sure it didn't work. Color remained pretty constant. Looked like this:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Hmmm... Well my laptop is to weak to run dolphin so that's a nope. I'm doing some more "research" by looking at other stages, mainly Theytah's N64 Battlefield. I'll update the download once I figure some things out.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Hmmmm.... PegasusKnt PegasusKnt try this one:

I've changed the location of the intended color in the lighting channel, so at this point it's just connecting the dots. In the mean time I'll be looking at other stages to hopefully understand this better.

Last edited:

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
Hmmmm.... PegasusKnt PegasusKnt try this one: http://www.mediafire.com/download/y3c67a68shu255l/sc_selcharacter(4).pac

I've changed the location of the intended color in the lighting channel, so at this point it's just connecting the dots. In the mean time I'll be looking at other stages to hopefully understand this better.
Nope! Still no go. It basically looks the same as my second screenshot, only the blue and purple colors are stronger. Keep the new versions coming; I'm happy to help test.

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
Okay PegasusKnt PegasusKnt , for this one I went insane and animated all of the Tev color values. At this rate if this doesn't work then I don't know. (The point of this test is to see if this does work, I'll start removing the animation nodes until it breaks, then that means I know which one works): http://www.mediafire.com/download/5qs2iag1ynsfjxi/sc_selcharacter(5).pac
Sorry, still no color changes. I also tried adding animations for Color0, Color1, Ambient0, and Ambient1. That didn't work either. ^_^;

The differences in these screenshots seem to indicate that your animations ARE doing something, just not what you want them to do. My gut feeling is that something in the material settings, not the animation, is the problem.

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
PegasusKnt PegasusKnt can you tinker with the material and see if changing LightChannel0 -> Color -> MaterialSource -> Register does anything?

Or use this which does the same thing: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5sbia25mveqrave/sc_selcharacter(6).pac

Oh did you wait about 7 seconds, because that how long the color takes to go from blue to red and back to blue again (supposedly if it works).
Yeah, I've been giving it a good 30 seconds or more, but I don't see any colors changing. And no, changing that setting didn't do it.

Edit: in your next post, could you upload a file which has a working color animation in it? If I could compare it to yours I might be able to spot the problem.

Last edited:

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
Sorry man, I've combed over these material settings and I still can't figure it out. =/

I think you'll need to get in touch with somebody like Theytah who's got a little more know-how on this subject.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Sorry man, I've combed over these material settings and I still can't figure it out. =/

I think you'll need to get in touch with somebody like Theytah who's got a little more know-how on this subject.
Alright, thanks for helpingout anyways.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
If I have a clr0 animation that works in the brawlcrate viewer/model preview (whatever its called) but it doesnt work in game, what do?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Like the title above, I've been seeing this used in various parts of Brawl, most notably the menus and every skin of Battlefield that you can think of. I've tried to figure it out on my own but to no avail. Can anyone who knows how to use Clr Animation and make it work guide me through it so that I may further improve that CSS I've put out (the one in my signature at the moment)? In particular I need help in adding an entirely new Clr Animation to a model in the CSS that doesn't have one (in context of the CSS I have, it's the one that uses that Galaxy-esque texture).

Any takers?
Should this work on character models in game? and also my above question lol

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I have found color animations to be the most confusing of the 4 types. It does not help that the latest version of brawlbox (0.76b I believe) does not preview them correctly, meaning the only way to test a CLR animation is to load your file in dolphin. So far I have only used CLR animations to change transparency, not actual colors. But let me share my experiences with that on the off-chance it will be helpful for you.

To create a new CLR animation in brawlbox: right click the model data you are working with -> new -> Color Sequence. Name the animation whatever you like. Use the panel in the upper right to set the number of frames in the animation and loop it.

Next, right click on the new animation -> New Material Entry. Expand the animation (click the plus sign) and you will now see "NewNode" which expands to "Color0". Rename the NewNode to the name of the material which animation will be applied to. (see helpful picture below)

Now click on Color0, and use the panel to make sure "Constant" is set to False. You should now see a list of all the frames in the animation. For simple color animations (shifting from one color or one level of transparency to another), do the following: Select all the frames (click first frame, then shift+click the last frame) right click -> Edit. Fill in values for the first and last frames, and the rest will be filled in automatically.

To make the animation work (at least with transparency) I have found that the following settings need to be set under the material entry within the model itself: Enable Blend -> True; LightChannel0 -> Color -> MaterialSource -> Vertex (see helpful picture).

Hope that helps!
i meant to ask u specifically. can u help with my above questions?

Top Bottom