• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can someone critique my Smash Mains?

Birdygamer

Smash Cadet
I thought up about four characters I would like to main because they got good amounts of what I like: power and or survivability:

Main:
Ridley- Good edgeguading and impressive power and speed

Secondary
Little Mac- Good rushdown with power and speed and Counter ability

Back-up
Mewtwo - power, good recovery and good against projectile characters

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
"Little Mac" and "survivability" really don't go together. There's a pretty strong consensus right now that he's hands-down the worst character in the game. Ridley also has deceptively bad recovery, despite being a flying character. S'weird.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
They're not good characters. Ridley is probably a low tier character. Use of f-air, for example, lacks the ability to weave in and out like Samus. In fact, Ridley's f-air is more like SSBM Samus', since if you move forward, you continue to do so. Ridley is also a big body who isn't even heavier than Samus, nor is he super heavy. What are these devs thinking? Recovery could be better. Go with Bowser or DK if you plan on using a big body.

Little Mac hits hard and is fast, but lacks aerial options, suffers from Battlefield stages, and has a linear recovery that relies on hoping the opponent doesn't try edge-guarding. And if the opponent does try, Little Mac tends to use Counter to make it back. All he opponent needs to do is deal a bit of damage and launch Little Mac away. If Counter becomes predictable, the opponent only needs to feint an attack to fool Little Mac.

I hear Mewtwo isn't good. Aside from his tail now having a hitbox, I don't know what his problems are. He's probably your better choice.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Ridley:
+ Good edgeguarding with fireballs and fair taking people off the side, decent range with normals, very strong smash attacks, decent aerials, can reach through platforms with his tilts
- Big body, combo food, deceivingly light for a big character, kind of a bad recovery even though his up B does travel a good vertical distance, has a somewhat useless down B, people can break out of side B, being hit while charging fireballs damages him, smashes have a lot of endlag

Little Mac:
+ high ground speed, KO Punch kills at 10% on most characters, armor on smashes (that are also pretty fast and really strong), fast tilts with decent priority, can 2 frame recoveries with dash attack, forces players to play the matchup - can't just use fundamentals to beat him, has a counter
- Bottom 3 recovery, can't use side B offstage if hit out of it once, dies from one offstage interaction, up B goes nowhere, bad range on many normals, gets camped out hard by every zoner or anyone with a good projectile in general, zero aerial game, KO punch can be knocked out of him super easily, neutral B (charge, not KO punch) is basically useless in a 1v1 environment unless you get a shield break - even then it's arguable if you should just charge an Fsmash or not, can't really edgeguard beyond trying to ledge trap - which is something he can't do that well anyway

Mewtwo (probably the one I know the least about tbh):
+ Decent damage, strong throws, decent combo starters with tilts, good neutral airdodge, decent range with tail attacks, nair is a good 'get off me' tool
o Teleport recovery, can be both good and bad at times, has a reflector
- Big body, tail is a hurtbox, extremely light for a big character, smashes have a lot of endlag, Disable is fairly useless in a 1v1 or even 2v2 environment, Shadow Ball use kind of linear and slow - fairly easy to dodge it

All in all just characters that have ok strengths, but also have a lot of abusable flaws. I probably missed some stuff but I literally never use these characters, I only fight against them here and there. And lose to them from time to time, mostly because I tend to forget how to play the matchup due to scarcity.

But why does it matter anyway? Play who you enjoy using and stop being adamant that some of these characters are better than others say they are with very little to back it up. If you think they're better than that, go out and prove it.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
This is the first I've heard about Mewtwo being bad. The other two have a lot of flaws, for sure, but I wouldn't call Mewtwo anything close to unviable. Not top tier, sure, but perfectly usable.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
He's probably the most usable of the 3 (maybe tied with Ridley, it's arguable, considering Ridley has a lot more results than Mewtwo), he's just too light with too big a body. You can throw a hitbox out a mile away from Mewtwo and probably still catch part of his tail.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
His hurtbox moves around a lot, though, and he has long dodge animations. He's a lot more slippery than Ridley is.

Top Bottom