• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Can Ken Ken combo again? - Marth Smash Switch speculation thread

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
One thing I think they dropped the ball with on SSB4 was giving Marth and Lucina the same moves. I'd like to see Marth given back the moves he had in Melee (Love that neutral B overhead swipe) and see Lucina given the newer set of moves with the thrusting shield breaker. ( I also want Pit given back his moves from Brawl while Dark pit gets the moves from SSB4. Make them less cloned you know)

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I just want Marth to feel graceful again.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just want him to get his English voice this time. Yuri Lowenthal does a great job voicing him.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I wouldn't mind seeing Marth going in more of a Melee direction again while Roy and Lucina share aspects of Marth's Brawl aspects Smash 4 aspects (and their individual variants of the latter as well).

But overall his design has been great and quite different in each of the last 3 Smash games. I would argue he's one of the best designed characters in all 3 games despite being one of the stronger characters in each and being quite different in each game.

He's 3/3, but really I would like to see each 3 iterations of Marth sort of get separated a bit more now that he has 2 dedicated clones returning potentially this time around.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Marth in Smash4 had his own combo in Dair,
Weak Upair into tipper Dair was pretty easy to pull off. It was just tricky to land an Upair on a grounded opponent.
I mean, I think it should be tricky to land a guaranteed Dair, but this just didn't work on shorties.
Lucina's combo game is ridiculous but nobody cares because her moves lacked knockback.

I'm sure Marth in Smash5 will have his own combo shenanigans.
I'm hoping for something crazy like,
Tipper Upair on grounded opponent -> Jump into Weak Bair -> Weak Fair -> Tipper Dair

I would like if the end of Upair's animation's hitbox was low enough to hit shorties like Pikachu on the ground.
After Marth does his Bair, he changes facing directions allowing you to followup Bair with Fair. I'm not sure if any other character's in Smash have an aerial attack that changes their facing direction like this.

Oh damn what if they bring back the floating property of Marth's side-special, then we could get some real style like in Project M and have him do Aerial dancing blades into Dair.

Last edited:

Frection

Smash Rookie
Seriously, I just want the lighter, sharper Marth of Brawl back. I think less startup on his attacks in general (Dair especially) and better autocancels (SH Nair & Uair) in return for less weight and less raw power on some moves (Uthrow, Fair, etc) would bring back his old feel. Sm4sh Marth just feels too tough.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Marth is almost certainly coming back, but the question is: will he finally be speaking English in Smash?

One thing I think they dropped the ball with on SSB4 was giving Marth and Lucina the same moves. I'd like to see Marth given back the moves he had in Melee (Love that neutral B overhead swipe) and see Lucina given the newer set of moves with the thrusting shield breaker. ( I also want Pit given back his moves from Brawl while Dark pit gets the moves from SSB4. Make them less cloned you know)
I support this fully.

Just one question; wouldn't it make more sense if Dark Pit was the one who received the Brawl moves? I mean, that just seems to feel more right to me, but it's mostly just personal preference.

Morbi

Scavenger
Less end lag on dair. All I ask for
That is literally all I want as well. Playing Marth is a chore because I used to heavily rely on d-air, pretty sure they changed the spike hit-box too as I used to dunk fools all the time and I feel as though I never really managed to in Smash for Wii U.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Marth is almost certainly coming back, but the question is: will he finally be speaking English in Smash?
Honestly this is what I want most. At this point he's long overdue, especially since now the games where he speaks English outnumber the times he's appeared in Smash (Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., Fire Emblem Fates, Fire Emblem Heroes, and Fire Emblem Warriors vs Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4).

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Day that happens is the day Ness starts speaking English and not Engrish. As for Marth, been playing the past games again and I’ve really come to like him more and more.

PF9

Smash Lord
the Fire Emblem games would make great movies, especially if made in England with all-English casts and crews (aside from a few Japanese crew members carried over from the game series) to capitalize on the success of the Harry Potter movies

For the adaptations of Marth's games, I could see him played by Freddie Highmore

Arthur97

Smash Master
Day that happens is the day Ness starts speaking English and not Engrish. As for Marth, been playing the past games again and I’ve really come to like him more and more.
He has had several English roles as of late. It could happen. I doubt Ness will change much though.

PF9

Smash Lord
If we give Marth an English voice in this game, I'm kind of leaning towards a British VA for the English release. For some reason, I like people with swords much better when they're played by Brits.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If we give Marth an English voice in this game, I'm kind of leaning towards a British VA for the English release. For some reason, I like people with swords much better when they're played by Brits.
Marth already has a canon English voice though.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Aside from the English voice, there's a small detail that I want fixed for Marth in Smash Switch.
His hair should be fluffier, and there's a small "M" pattern to his bangs in all his recent appearances, contrary to Smash 4's flat bangs.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Also for Heroes players, the groom Marth alt is available now. :p

Anyway, really hoping to see some Marth usage in the Invitational.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
No need to waste time talking about this first point, but – there is a 100% chance Marth is in Smash 5. Anyway...

There is a lot that they can do to make Marth even more awesome. Though I will say I believe he has been one of the better-designed characters in Smash Bros. Even in Smash 4, you can see the intent behind all the decisions they made with him, at release or through the patches. Except for the removal of the three Counter quotes (which are super cool if you know what he's saying) that are even removed from the Japanese version of this game; I still don't understand that one.

What they could do:
  • Counter quotes back in (regardless of language Marth ends up with)
  • Updated design to reflect recent material
  • Less of a berserker, and instead more fluid
  • Cylindrical/capsule/spherocylinder hitboxes instead of spherical (a move some characters/moves have seen in the transition to Smash 4), but still tied to his sword. Only Dtilt, SB, DB3-down, and Usmash's dust cloud use cylindrical for Marth in Smash 4
  • With Sakurai designing Smash for noobs/casual and deciding to use Lucina as easy Marth (when I was a kid playing Melee and early Brawl, I was really bad at tippers), it may be in his best interest to redesign the sweetspot. He could make it so that while the sourspot still out-prioritizes the sweetspot (a big deal), the entire blade section could be the sweetspot, with the hilt, handle, and his arm as the sourspot. Rather than half the blade, which is about what the "tipper" is now. Of course, the power would need to be dialed down and the sourspot nerfed even more (for combos) – both towards the "less of a berserker" thing.

Last edited:

Guljy

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 3601 9213 6336
Do you guys think Marth will be more similar to his Smash 4 appearance or his melee or brawl appearance. Also, do you guys think he will still be top 15 like he has been before or will he be better or worse. I would love to hear what you guys think (I know there are no definitive answers, this is pure speculation).

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Leave his moveset and playstyle how it is...but give the man his English voice

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Do you guys think Marth will be more similar to his Smash 4 appearance or his melee or brawl appearance. Also, do you guys think he will still be top 15 like he has been before or will he be better or worse. I would love to hear what you guys think (I know there are no definitive answers, this is pure speculation).
I merged your thread with the existing Marth thread. We limit 1 support thread for both veterans and newcomers.

Guljy

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 3601 9213 6336
I would personally like it if they implemented the fire emblem into his moveset, not necessarily to stay full time but if they put it into his counter or something that could be cool do you guys have any idea how they could implement it

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I would personally like it if they implemented the fire emblem into his moveset, not necessarily to stay full time but if they put it into his counter or something that could be cool do you guys have any idea how they could implement it
In New Mystery it had the added effect of sealing away Earth Dragons underground. Maybe during Critical Hit, Marth could have it equipped and make grounded opponents that aren't in the path of Critical Hit get buried (like Villager's down smash, DK's headbutt, or the pitfall item). It wouldn't add too much, but it'd be a neat callback, and it'd help separate Marth's Critical Hit from Lucina's and Roy's.

Guljy

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 3601 9213 6336
In New Mystery it had the added effect of sealing away Earth Dragons underground. Maybe during Critical Hit, Marth could have it equipped and make grounded opponents that aren't in the path of Critical Hit get buried (like Villager's down smash, DK's headbutt, or the pitfall item). It wouldn't add too much, but it'd be a neat callback, and it'd help separate Marth's Critical Hit from Lucina's and Roy's.
Even better, I also feel like this could help him represent the series as a whole better.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Even better, I also feel like this could help him represent the series as a whole better.
Yeah, I definitely think it'd be a nice touch.
The main thing I'm hoping for is for Yuri Lowenthal to voice him this time, but an Assist Trophy for Caeda or Merric would be icing on the cake.

Guljy

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 3601 9213 6336
I love merric/Caeda, and it would be a nice touch, maybe they could even give him/her
Yeah, I definitely think it'd be a nice touch.
The main thing I'm hoping for is for Yuri Lowenthal to voice him this time, but an Assist Trophy for Caeda or Merric would be icing on the cake.
a mii outfit (if miis are still in smash 5)

Guljy

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 3601 9213 6336
I also believe that his recovery should be improved just because I think he has some great moves on the ground, but he tends to have to use aerials

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I do think in actuality, Marth will be similar if not nearly identical to Smash 4. Maybe English though. There are a lot of things to focus on and with such a short development time, Marth (especially after all the patches), might have been given the "what isn't broke, don't fix it" – allocating resources to other things.

Building on my above post, what I also want is for Critical Hit to kill without knockback, akin to Fire Emblem. After their health bar depletes, they lose their stock in a disappearance like in Fire Emblem and like what we see with the 100%+ Lava in Smash 4.

And I think Lucina's Final Smash should be Aether, with two hits. First hit depletes part of their life bar without doing knockback and heals Lucina a bit, then next hit finishes up the life bar and removes their stock. To balance this health effect vs. Marth's, the Final Smash could be slightly harder to get.

Last edited:

Guljy

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 3601 9213 6336
I do think in actuality, Marth will be extremely similar if not nearly identical to Smash 4. Maybe English though. There are a lot of things to focus on and with such a short development time, Marth (especially after all the patches), might have been given the "what isn't broke, don't fix it" – allocating resources to other things.

What I also want is for Critical Hit to kill without knockback, to look more like Fire Emblem. After their health bar depletes, they lose their stock in a disappearance like in Fire Emblem and like what see with the 100%+ Lava in Smash 4.

And I think Lucina's Final Smash should be Aether, with two hits. First hit depletes part of their life bar without doing knockback and heals Lucina a bit, then next hit finishes up the life bar and removes their stock. To balance this health effect vs. Marth's, the Final Smash could be slightly harder to get.
Yes, I think marth is pretty great in smash already

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
My dude looks sexy asf. Literally drooling. Is it just me or is his sword range shorter? Hope it's placebo but I swear it looks like a dagger.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
so,Smash ultimate Mart h gets a

-faster inputable dancing blade
- Chargable shieldbreaker can be angled upwards

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And most importantly, his English voice. :D

That's seriously what made me the most hyped barring all veterans coming back, weird as it sounds.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Damn you Yuri Lowenthal.
You are in literally every single game I play.

Ayyyyy my bmain is back and better than ever. His hair looks so good goddamn. Buffs are always appreciated. And he finally speaks english. Praise Naga!

He has a lot of competition for being my main once more, but he still looks stellar.
:061:

Senshu

Smash Cadet
I noticed in Roy's promo video that he can turn around when releasing a charged Flare Blade, I wonder if Marth can do the same thing?

Guljy

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 3601 9213 6336
Do any of you guys know why MKLeo didn't use Marth in the invitational

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
so,Smash ultimate Mart h gets a

-faster inputable dancing blade
- Chargable shieldbreaker can be angled upwards
Is there footage showing it angled center? If not, this high angle may be fixed.

Do any of you guys know why MKLeo didn't use Marth in the invitational
It is most likely that he got a bad number and Lucky snagged him first. Honestly, most of those players would have snagged Marth for their tri-roster. "But Vipermoon, if he got a bad number, how did he get Bayo?" Sure, he got Bayonetta but no Bayo players were in that group. And I bet they all expected she got nerfed, while I and possibly MkLeo realized she probably isn't nerfed yet as the game hasn't been balanced yet (obviously they do this last because it takes precious time that could be spent improving the E3-version of the game).

While it's possible he wasn't impressed enough with Marth, I highly doubt this. Even when Marth was bad in Smash 4, he was still his favorite character. Plus he knows his Marth skill will still transfer.

Top Bottom