• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can I just say how amazing the music for Castlevania is?

Shog

Smash Ace
I never played one game before and due to Smash I studied some of the soundtracks(due to the trailer saying 34 music tracks appearing and the music team liking it)

oh boy, it's amazing. My favourite one so far is Simon Belmont's Theme from Super Castlevania for the SNES. Can't wait to see more (remixed) tracks from this series in Ultimate.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
You should play the games :)

you can ask anyone here on who to play but I recommend super castlevania 4, symphony of the night, aria/dawn of sorrow and the rest of the handheld games

my favourites are aria/dawn of sorrow

and this is my fav track from the series:

Last edited:

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
GameXplain uploaded a video featuring 30 second clips of all the song's named in the Smash direct, so if anyone wants to give them a listen to see what ya gonna get, heres a best place to do it.

Last edited:

Kyle B

Smash Cadet
My favorites from all of them are
Hail from the past(my absolute favorite),
lament of innocence,
iron-blue intention,
Jail of jewels,
Cross your heart,
twilight stigmata,
Can't/Don't wait until night,
Vampire killer
Though I am super annoyed that bloody tears is not alone, it's my favorite retro jam...But then again, I found several songs I now adore for combo turns in my card games.
The soundtrack was always legendary, just never kept up with the games, though now I've watched all the story in anticipation for Smash lol
Can't wait to play Simon/Richter, Smash always brings me to a great game series with every new installment.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
I'm so stoked to see representation from some of the more underappreciated gems, like Awake from Circle of the Moon and Hail from the Past from Portrait of Ruin. Two of my favourites in the series <3

Morbi

Scavenger
I am enjoying the music a lot so far. I am not going to lie, in general, I still prefer Metroid music; however, I am still really happy with what I have been hearing and 34 songs is a far cry from the, was it one Final Fantasy track? Oh, and Street Fighter only having Ken and Ryu. Really glad that they are taking third-party music more seriously.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I love the fact they included Lost Village (Pitch Black Intrusion) from Dawn of Sorrow - good old memories. And I agree, Lament of Innocence is probably my favourite out of These 34 as well. And I can't wait to hear the Dracula Castle SotN Remix.

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
You can hear the new remix of Vampire Killer and Out of Time in the background of the direct. They sound pretty good, actually. Though I prefer the Judgment version of Vampire Killer.

Last edited:

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529

I always thought the Castlevania III theme "Beginning" was always super underrated being the most forgotten of the classic 3 NES games

Last edited:

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
nintendo knew what they were doing when they decided to represent castlevania in this game. you better goddamn believe the music held just as much importance as the characters they made playable. i am so glad to know the composers behind konamis franchises are getting recognition in smash, by name or not. im sure we'll get some bomberman music in some stage or another, but theres so much to draw from other than that like gradius, goemon, maybe even silent hill? jesus, could you guys imagine getting pyramid head as a playable character? it really doesnt seem that far-fetched.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I just wish this one track made it in Smash Ultimate.

I was really surprised and happy that Cornell was announced for judgement, being a fan of teh N64 games, Iga reaqlly outdid himself with that roster. the only character missing was Soma Cruz and maybe Saint Germain.. ALAS.. how much i wanted to love that game...

albeit even if a lot of teh designs were... atrocius (hate Simon, Death and Grant, Maria, Shanoa and Alucard were tolerable and I actually liked Dracula and Cornell) , i think i would been able to get past them if the game was actually good, but sadly it was a wigglefest of a mess. oh well, at least we got a batch of amazing remixes with it.

As for Castlevania music i LOVE but didn't made it into smash:
My favorite Castlevania 1 track.. and the only one to not make it :c

I really love Sinking old Sanctuary ...

Also loved teh alchemical lab in this game.

the typical underrated HoD ost.

Terrible game, amazing cutscenes and music.

even though im SUPER HAPPY with the tracks we got (34!) you have so many more!

Edit: Woot my 1000 post! I never dreamed that it would be talking about castlevania music! <3

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
I was really surprised and happy that Cornell was announced for judgement, being a fan of teh N64 games, Iga reaqlly outdid himself with that roster. the only character missing was Soma Cruz and maybe Saint Germain.. ALAS.. how much i wanted to love that game...

albeit even if a lot of teh designs were... atrocius (hate Simon, Death and Grant, Maria, Shanoa and Alucard were tolerable and I actually liked Dracula and Cornell) , i think i would been able to get past them if the game was actually good, but sadly it was a wigglefest of a mess. oh well, at least we got a batch of amazing remixes with it.

As for Castlevania music i LOVE but didn't made it into smash:

My favorite Castlevania 1 track.. and the only one to not make it :c

even though im SUPER HAPPY with the tracks we got (34!) you have so many more!

Edit: Woot my 1000 post! I never dreamed that it would be talking about castlevania music! <3
I'm not a fan of Heart of Fire. It sort of reminds me of something out of Mega Man and not so much Castlevania. Sinking Old Sanctuary is a good one. I first heard that in Bloodlines and fell in love with it. So when I heard it in Circle of the Moon, I was surprised. There are a good number of tracks in Harmony of Dissonance, and the one you selected is also one of my favorites. I played that game again recently, but on Maxim mode. Followers of Darkness from Curse of Darkness sounds fitting for Sma5h. Very upbeat. I'm not too fond of Edge of the Sky from Order of Ecclesia, though. The higher notes bother my ears.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I liked Edge of Sky precisely because the high notes were distinct from the usual. Heart of Fire occasionally gets stuck in my head.

Also really love the boxart of Ecclesia. Something about the mix of strong red and strong blue with the lead's jet-black hair...

Last edited:

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
What are some tracks y'all hope will get remixed, and tracks you don't want remixed?

I think the GBA tracks probably will get a remix, since they don't hold that same nostalgic quality of original NES tracks. I just really, really hope they don't use the Harmony of Despair remix of Ruined Castle Corridor. I like the Getsu Fuma track in it, but otherwise the remixes in that game are just awful imo. The DS tracks are fine as is, in a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" sort of way. But if they spruce them up a bit, I certainly don't mind. I just find a lot of Castlevania remixes to have electric guitar needlessly thrown in. Like, I get the whole power metal aesthetic, don't get me wrong, but I think we've heard more remixes of Bloody Tears than you can shake a stick at (or flail a whip at).

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
What are some tracks y'all hope will get remixed, and tracks you don't want remixed?

I think the GBA tracks probably will get a remix, since they don't hold that same nostalgic quality of original NES tracks. I just really, really hope they don't use the Harmony of Despair remix of Ruined Castle Corridor. I like the Getsu Fuma track in it, but otherwise the remixes in that game are just awful imo. The DS tracks are fine as is, in a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" sort of way. But if they spruce them up a bit, I certainly don't mind. I just find a lot of Castlevania remixes to have electric guitar needlessly thrown in. Like, I get the whole power metal aesthetic, don't get me wrong, but I think we've heard more remixes of Bloody Tears than you can shake a stick at (or flail a whip at).
so much this... don't get me wrong some of what we already heard have been amazing, and im totally digging the "Nothing to lose" combination of drums and electric guitars... but i wasn't exactly blown away by the Bloodytears/monsterdance remix, and no, not becuase it have monster dance, but because i have heard so many "standart metal versions" of bloody tears that is kinda expected.

Personally i would prefered something more unique, like if we got bloody tears as a clear cut melodic say, piano or strings composition, where the (famous) melody is pretty clear and defined, and start slowly degenerating into a more trashy and blackmetallish "Monster Dance"... i really would loved how this would captured the feeling of a clear and well defined daylight, in contrast with a terrible and grotesque night. and imo would certainly got Simon's quest very right.

Still, looking forward to it! I really wonder how they are going to remix twillight stigmata, cause along with black night is one of the songs that wouldnt work too well with "just being ported"...

Regarding Runied Castle corridor ..who knows, we may get the lamment of innocence bonus version :p

regarding remixes.. do you guys have/known particular remixers that have done Castlevania music that you enjoy greatly?

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Anything from SOTN doesn't need a remix. You can't improve on perfection.

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
so much this... don't get me wrong some of what we already heard have been amazing, and im totally digging the "Nothing to lose" combination of drums and electric guitars... but i wasn't exactly blown away by the Bloodytears/monsterdance remix, and no, not becuase it have monster dance, but because i have heard so many "standart metal versions" of bloody tears that is kinda expected.

Personally i would prefered something more unique, like if we got bloody tears as a clear cut melodic say, piano or strings composition, where the (famous) melody is pretty clear and defined, and start slowly degenerating into a more trashy and blackmetallish "Monster Dance"... i really would loved how this would captured the feeling of a clear and well defined daylight, in contrast with a terrible and grotesque night. and imo would certainly got Simon's quest very right.

Still, looking forward to it! I really wonder how they are going to remix twillight stigmata, cause along with black night is one of the songs that wouldnt work too well with "just being ported"...

Regarding Runied Castle corridor ..who knows, we may get the lamment of innocence bonus version :p

regarding remixes.. do you guys have/known particular remixers that have done Castlevania music that you enjoy greatly?
Yea I'm hoping there's a Twilight Stigmata remix, one that's more so a version of An Empty Tome (with just the TS name for the sake of the intro). I didn't know LoI had that track, that's pretty neat. It doesn't quite have the sense of urgency of the original, but it's not too bad.

I don't know specific remixers, but if we're talking specific remixes I love the Adventure ReBirth version of Aquarius:

Anything from SOTN doesn't need a remix. You can't improve on perfection.
I think there's a remix for Dracula's Castle, it's either the version from Judgement or a new Smash version. But yea, SotN's music is pretty iconic. I would've traded Tragic Prince for Rainbow Cemetery or Wandering Ghosts, but you can't not have Alucard's theme in the game.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
it's either the version from Judgement or a new Smash version.
yeah, it sounded a lot like the Judgement remix.

as for remixers, there are a couple i like a lot :3 So as a good old scholar of demons once said "Stay a while and listen"

Starting with Snaketooth and his fan album "The lost vampire Killer"

Pretty Chill and jazzyRemix of Divine Bloodlines (at least when i say jazzy doesn't mean that it just stuck a saxophone on the melody) The whole album is quite chill.

Jorge D. Fuentes, long time moderator of the Castlevania Dungeon fanpage have remixed and rearranged a big ammount of Castlevania tracks (not 1, not 34, but literally 201 tracks, coming from everywhere, the NES games, bloodlines, and all of teh portable games) While the perse aren't the most groundbreaking stuff, is interesting to see almost all of the Castlevania tracks ever normalized into a similar soundfont, and interesting if for some reason, you aren't a fan of the more limited soundfonts like the gba or the Nds ones.

I mean.. since a lot of people don't like the Harmony of dissonance sound quality :p

moving into something a tad heavier, "Goat" back in the day made a couple of rock fan albums covering the NES castlevania OST, and unlike the tipcal rock remix with melodic guitars everywhere, there is more emphasison other stuff too like riffs and bass, and what I actually like a lot of this albums is that he manage to mix heavier parts with more laid back parts, and you can hear hsi arrengments going actual places.. instead of just being again, melodic guitars and powerful drums.
I remember back in the day being SUPER hooked to this particular mad forest cover.

Keeping with the heavier theme, Yuta Romeo is a dude with a couple of rock medleys of Castlevania tracks, but even if a couple sounds like not too much.. there isnt much people with such an absololute dedication to Castlevania OST as him. i mean.. some of his medleys are like hour and a half long, spanning tons of tunes, creating a form of narrative.
posting one of the "short" ones. I mean.. is not exactly easy finding a arrangment of the "Skeleton den" of harmony of dissonance.

also did you guys knew that there are a couple of Castlevania cover albums actually licenced by konami?

As for other stuff, there was a remixer that posted tons of tracks on the Castlevania dungeon fanpage, but he seems to have vanished from the internet.. or at least, is nowhere to be found on youtube.. and that is Geoffrey Gunn. he made a couple of pretty neat remixes of various songs, plus a couple of original castlevania inspired songs and a some tracks for some fangames. I guess i can upload one of teh themes from my personal vault since i can't happen to found them on teh internetz ... but dunno :/

Moving to piano...

We have this pretty cool interpretation of clockwork Vampire (an originally OC remix of Clockwork and vampire killer) and while i feel he skipped a couple of notes it still feels quite energetic. (plus is not like the sheet was very easy)

And finally ending with Piano.. I always liked Verdegrand piano pieces...

so, you guys have any particular cool castlevania remixes, arrengments or covers guarded up there somewhere?

Little Bonus track:

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
The series is known for its music, and so many tracks being featured in Ultimate is fantastic news because there's so much to represent across the games. They sound really good, too, from what I've heard of them.

And, yeah, definitely find a way to play them at some point. They're fantastic.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I won't lie, I'm really miffed by the lack of Scarlet Battle Soul. But the music that is in sounds like it will be amazing,

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
There seems to be speculation(and likely fake music videos from Ultimate)that some of the ported songs are from Castlevania HD. I hope this is the case, imo. CHD has some terrific remixes.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
As someone who's new to the series, I'm baffled that this is the first remix of Out of Time. That may be my most anticipated remix for this game and seems like a really good song. I've only played the first game thus far and watched playthroughs of some games that I'll probably never get, but that's easily my favorite song so far.

DragonKent17

Smash Rookie
And they passed on Portrait of Ruin's "Invitation of a Dark Moon" and Judgement's "Darkness of Fear" since both are my favourites soundtracks there

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Saw someone mention Yuta Romeo, I enjoy this medley:

Last edited:

GenghisConn3

Smash Rookie
Overall, I'm happy with the selection we got, but I wish there was a bit more representation from Super 4 and Chronicles.
Would've loved to see any of these from Super 4:
Rotating Room
The Submerged City
Treasury Room
Chandeliers

and any of these from Chronicles:
Creatures In The Depth
Moon Fight

As you can tell, I'm more of a classic fan. The only Castlevania games I've played past Symphony of the Night are Lament of Innocence and a bit of Circle of the Moon.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I love the music of Richter's trailer. But the name is confusing : when I search "Divine Bloodlines", some tracks are named Opposing Bloodlines or just Bloodlines.
Can someone could explain me this please ?

GenghisConn3

Smash Rookie
Personally, I love the music of Richter's trailer. But the name is confusing : when I search "Divine Bloodlines", some tracks are named Opposing Bloodlines or just Bloodlines.
Can someone could explain me this please ?
It's kinda confusing, but "Opposing Bloodlines" and "Divine Bloodlines" are pretty much the same thing, where as "Bloodlines" on its own (not to be confused with Castlevania Bloodlines on the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive which is also known as "Vampire Killer" in Japan and "Castlevania: The New Generation" in Europe) is the track that plays in the recreation of the final stage in Rondo of Blood in Symphony of the night.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
I never played one game before and due to Smash I studied some of the soundtracks(due to the trailer saying 34 music tracks appearing and the music team liking it)

oh boy, it's amazing. My favourite one so far is Simon Belmont's Theme from Super Castlevania for the SNES. Can't wait to see more (remixed) tracks from this series in Ultimate.
I'm so grateful for all the love that the smash team gave for the music and characters. I'm glad about the selections of the song and that my two favorite Belmonts are in.

Top Bottom